Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Hey guys, here's as good a place as any to ask this question. I'm interested in collecting old PC game boxes -- those huge clunky things that came in all shapes and sizes until like 2006 when there finally became a standard (and also when PC gaming finally made the switch from releasing games with 8 CDs as opposed to just one DVD). I recently rummaged through my dad's place, and found a bunch from when I was little. I'd like to hang them up, make a kind of art installation. Does anyone have any old boxes they want to get rid of? I'll pay for them.

I've tried searching for these things on ebay, but all I get are results that indicate the old box is included, but nobody seems to just be selling the boxes.

Anyway, this thread moves so fast, it's not unlikely this will get lost, or I won't be able to respond efficiently. If anyone wants to sell their old PC game boxes, contact me at calvinredburn@gmail.com

Edit: Oh, a new page. This helps, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

credburn posted:

Hey guys, here's as good a place as any to ask this question. I'm interested in collecting old PC game boxes -- those huge clunky things that came in all shapes and sizes until like 2006 when there finally became a standard (and also when PC gaming finally made the switch from releasing games with 8 CDs as opposed to just one DVD). I recently rummaged through my dad's place, and found a bunch from when I was little. I'd like to hang them up, make a kind of art installation. Does anyone have any old boxes they want to get rid of? I'll pay for them.

I've tried searching for these things on ebay, but all I get are results that indicate the old box is included, but nobody seems to just be selling the boxes.

Anyway, this thread moves so fast, it's not unlikely this will get lost, or I won't be able to respond efficiently. If anyone wants to sell their old PC game boxes, contact me at calvinredburn@gmail.com

Edit: Oh, a new page. This helps, I guess.

Contact Lazy game reviews via youtube and ask him if he will part with some of his storage locker full of them

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

unfortunately I share a (25th) birthday with donald trump but I got Prey + Puyo Puyo Tetris and I hope they're good

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

One of my friends' birthday is on September 11th

(This isn't true, but can you imagine???)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

One of my friends' birthday is on September 11th

(This isn't true, but can you imagine???)

Cheap party rentals

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I am very excited for the in-development video game Fight Knight

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Lizard Wizard posted:

*lovingly caresses Super Mario Odyssey footage, then turns to camera* Moai~

Mario x They Live confirmed

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

unfortunately I share a (25th) birthday with donald trump but I got Prey + Puyo Puyo Tetris and I hope they're good

Happy birthday btw!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'm up to the cabaret management stuff in Yakuza 0.

I never thought I'd say it but real estate is more fun than this.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Playing through Horizon and I really appreciate how useful the armament is. I keep going into combat encounters thinking that my bow will be enough and then leaning on my spear when things go tits up, but every time I die and try the encounter again I sprinkle in some rope ties, trip wires and elemental bombs and it goes a lot smoother. The rope caster alone has really helped me trivialize otherwise lethal battles. Watching the Monster Hunter World footage reminds me of that same feeling. Not because the hunter uses different weapons, but because a straight fight is a losing battle.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Palpek posted:

Also what are actual highlights of E3 apart for Nintendo? That jail break game, the pixel-art cyberpunk game from the gamergater dev, Ori 2, anything else?

Wolfenstein - The Tolerant Left.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Palpek posted:

Also what are actual highlights of E3 apart for Nintendo? That jail break game, the pixel-art cyberpunk game from the gamergater dev, Ori 2, anything else?

You can play as Coco Bandicoot in all three games of the trilogy

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently there's going to be a deluxe addition of LiS: Before the Storm that includes a bonus episode staring Max (though after the recent news regarding Chloe I'm not holding my breath on Hannah Telle coming back), which could be interesting.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-13-life-is-strange-prequels-max-based-bonus-episode-is-a-deluxe-edition-exclusive

As for the new footage, while defintely not Ashly doing Chloe's voice (she is apparently part of the writing team though) the replacement isn't too terrible (I can't tell if Frank's voice is still the same guy though). This doesn't look too bad so far though so it might still be worth checking out.

More details here.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 14, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

LawfulWaffle posted:

Playing through Horizon and I really appreciate how useful the armament is. I keep going into combat encounters thinking that my bow will be enough and then leaning on my spear when things go tits up, but every time I die and try the encounter again I sprinkle in some rope ties, trip wires and elemental bombs and it goes a lot smoother. The rope caster alone has really helped me trivialize otherwise lethal battles. Watching the Monster Hunter World footage reminds me of that same feeling. Not because the hunter uses different weapons, but because a straight fight is a losing battle.

A ropecaster with triple handling % mods is godly.

Larryb posted:

Apparently there's going to be a deluxe addition of LiS: Before the Storm that includes a bonus episode staring Max (though after the recent news regarding Chloe I'm not holding my breath on Hannah Telle coming back), which could be interesting.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-13-life-is-strange-prequels-max-based-bonus-episode-is-a-deluxe-edition-exclusive

As for the new footage, while defintely not Ashly doing Chloe's voice (she is apparently part of the writing team though) the replacement isn't too terrible (I can't tell if Frank's voice is still the same guy though). This doesn't look too bad so far though so it might still be worth checking out.

This is something I really, really have to wait for reviews on. Life is Strange was such an in the moment kind of phenomenon and the more I read about the prequel, the more concerns I have that it can be any good.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

If people were somehow mistakenly thinking that Konami was going to turn itself around, here's an article for you.

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/The-Konami-exodus

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I'm up to the cabaret management stuff in Yakuza 0.

I never thought I'd say it but real estate is more fun than this.

Yeah I basically didn't bother with it.

It's not even a bad minigame it's just the real estate stuff is passive and always going so it's kind of annoying to have to start up a minigame for money for Majima.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 14, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

exquisite tea posted:

A ropecaster with triple handling % mods is godly.
So that's where those handling mods are useful, I haven't thought of that.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Palpek posted:

aside from Nintendo stuff:

-Wolfenstein 2
-Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
-Shadow Of War
-Spider-Man
-Dragonball Fighter Z

I wish Devolver had more to say about Ruiner and/or Vanillaware had a trailer for 13 Sentinels but overall there's a lot more great stuff coming out.

Phantasium posted:

If people were somehow mistakenly thinking that Konami was going to turn itself around, here's an article for you.

Man I disliked Konami before but this is just plain loving disgusting.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 14, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Devolver had the highlight of E3 tbh.

Phantasium posted:

This is a pro-read. loving people over on their health insurance? Sabotaging people's careers years after they've left the company? It's almost cartoonish and makes Sony rallying around Kojima more meaningful in hindsight

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Phantasium posted:

quote:

A staffing agency employee who asked not to be named said he notifies gaming companies if a prospective hire is an ex-Kon. He said that is because Konami files complaints to gaming companies who take on its former employees.

One major gaming company went so far as to warn its staff against hiring ex-Kon. There was even a case in which a former Konami employee moved to a construction company before joining another gaming company, hoping to throw people off the scent.

One ex-Kon described his surprise at learning that Konami had instructed an employee at a television company not to deal with its former employees. In another case, a former Konami executive was forced to close his business due to pressure from the gaming giant.

Ex-Kons are not allowed to put their Konami experience on their public resumes. "If you leave the company, you cannot rely on Konami's name to land a job," explained a former employee. If an ex-Kon is interviewed by the media, the company will send that person a letter through a legal representative, in some cases indicating that Konami is willing to take them to court.

"I had to give up my life in Japan and become a fisherman in the cold reaches of Alaska. Konami would never find me there."

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Devolver had the highlight of E3 tbh.

This is a pro-read. loving people over on their health insurance? Sabotaging people's careers years after they've left the company? It's almost cartoonish and makes Sony rallying around Kojima more meaningful in hindsight

Sony, a huge multinational company, is probably one of the few companies that can push back against Konami's bizarre aggression regarding their former employees. There aren't too many other employers in the right position to do so. And it's sad that Konami can strong arm former employees out of the industry and out of their benefits, leaving them with no apparent recourse. The government isn't likely to step in to protect these workers. Full game communism now? :sigh:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's alright sir, I worked at Ultra games on the Bastilemania games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

Konami's authoritarian approach is notorious in the industry. Employees are not allowed to have their own corporate email address. When they have to communicate with outside parties, they are given an address consisting of five random numbers and letters, and the address is terminated within a few months. Lunch breaks have strict time limits, and timecards are used to record how long they take. The names of those who go over the time limit are made public throughout the company.

Employees' social media activities are also monitored. In 2014, Konami workers who liked a Facebook post by an ex-Kon saying he started working for a different company were shuffled to different positions.

:wtc:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

"I had to give up my life in Japan and become a fisherman in the cold reaches of Alaska. Konami would never find me there."

Its interesting how horrifyingly dystopian Japan can be at times with poo poo like this or the extremely high conviction rates

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Former Konami employees being referred to as Ex-Kons is just too good.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm no expert but my understanding is that this kind of stuff isn't unique to Konami, not at all.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://laurakbuzz.com/2017/06/14/pr-are-not-your-friends-they-will-lie-to-your-face/

Curious what you guys think of this? I'm usually on Laura K's side with stuff and I like her, but her examples for this seem kind of unfair. Like it's less a lie and more denying that a leak is true even if it is

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Macaluso posted:

https://laurakbuzz.com/2017/06/14/pr-are-not-your-friends-they-will-lie-to-your-face/

Curious what you guys think of this? I'm usually on Laura K's side with stuff and I like her, but her examples for this seem kind of unfair. Like it's less a lie and more denying that a leak is true even if it is

lol if it's not true it's a lie. I think she's being over-dramatic about it but she's not wrong.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Palpek posted:

Bubsy 4

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That just sounds like she's still mad that nobody believed her on the Rabbids thing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Macaluso posted:

She takes a ton of twitter abuse for everything she writes and she lets it get to her

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Macaluso posted:

How is denying a leak is true when you know it's true not a lie?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its business, not a congressional hearing

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Macaluso posted:

Water wet, cats and dogs are known for fighting, PR statements are misleading on purpose because they like keeping secrets. Film at eleven.

Like, I guess it's a valid point, but you'd feel like this "Santa Claus isn't real" moment would've happened sometime in the mid-90s as opposed to, you know, because of BG&E2 in 2017.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Its okay for a company to lie, except to its shareholders

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dr Cheeto posted:

How is denying a leak is true when you know it's true not a lie?

Because I think it's more complicated than that. Like your three options for responding to a leak are, saying yes. Saying no. Or saying "no comment". They most likely will never say yes. Saying "no" or "no comment" doesn't feel all that different to me.

I think her Beyond Good and Evil example proves her point a lot better than her Until Dawn one

edit: She also responded to me with "when you're on the journo end, headlines about how you lied, then they reveal it, feels like a lie." which I totally get that has to suck to be bombarded with that poo poo all day but at the same time it also feels like that's a risk you take when giving out leaks so publicly.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There's something undeniably cool about "this thing we said would never happen is going to happen" in all forms of media so I'm 100% for devs not always being truthful as long as the thing they're concealing is awesome.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

exquisite tea posted:

There's something undeniably cool about "this thing we said would never happen is going to happen" in all forms of media so I'm 100% for devs not always being truthful as long as the thing they're concealing is awesome.

Exactly. It's maybe giving gaming PR a bit too much credit to say it's like asking a magician to reveal their secrets, but do you really expect them to be totally upfront and truthful just because you asked? Seems kinda silly to get upset over it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Being a games journalist must be some kind of hell, that's all I'm taking from that article.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Journalism in general is hell, especially right now.

Kotaku doesn't always follow this guideline but in general their policy is that they leak poo poo that's of interest to their audience, and it's okay if people aren't happy about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

given how every company ever gets their poo poo leaked constantly I don't see how Ubisoft wanting one loving surprise to remain under wraps is A MONSTROUS LIE. jesus, you'd think someone noted for leaking so much would understand that maybe a company just felt like saying gently caress Off, Let Us Have This One Thing.

I'm actually shocked Nintendo managed to keep the Metroids under close secrecy.

• Locked thread