Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

It's a loving shooting in America. People will be over it in a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
This poo poo is not a Reichstag Fire type event, but it's going to ratchet up the paranoia among the Pepes. The odds of one of them straight up shooting a counter-protester at one of their rallies has definitely gone up.

Of course, those odds are always going up anyway.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Teddybear posted:

Well Trump is speaking in twenty five minutes apparently. This is the first crisis that hasn't been of his own making. Let's see how hard he shits it.
"It's clear...that because of...this evil...act...that Robert Mueller...must be fired...from the Russia investigation."

edit: added Trump brand pauses

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

FizFashizzle posted:

Sometimes life comes at you fast.

346 days later...

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Harrow posted:

Like I said, I tend to catastrophize. I'm not quite Covok-level specifically because I don't post as much, but I'm self-aware enough to know I see things worse than they probably are. But the left has been on the ropes for a while in the US and it's hard not to see this as the knockout blow, or at least the lead-in to it.

Hmm yes.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Raylen posted:

I'm more worried about this creating a justification for the really crazy right wingers to start assaulting people (besides Gianforte) they disagree with even if they aren't liberals. They've been waiting for some "spark" to show how the LIEBRULS are trying to destroy America and this could be it. Not saying that's going to happen but radicals are never in the right mind.

Oh no, this absolutely will contribute to further violent outbursts, because invariably the right-wing is going to fire up the crazies with rhetoric about this.

I was hoping it was a right-wing guy, because I knew nothing further would happen. All bets are kind of off now. "They're going after R legislators?!?!?!?" *brandishes firearm*

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Teddybear posted:

Well Trump is speaking in twenty five minutes apparently. This is the first crisis that hasn't been of his own making. Let's see how hard he shits it.

Like he handled the pulse nightclub shooting, the San Bernardino shooting, and the Manchester bombing? He can't feel or express compassion for others, so he'd better just stay on script and not jump to "see how I'm right and we need a muslim ban and a wall!"

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
People don't remember the IRS plane fella or the Planned Parenthood shooting fella so this will probably be national news for the next 3 years.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

346 days later...

These movie titles are getting ridiculous.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

This is true but I think we'd like to avoid a Nazi Germany situation even if it "only" lasts a decade

The amount that people care about this will last all of 10 days. A few people being shot and zero deaths is far away from something that will matter. Especially when it is politicians as the victims, who few people have any deep affection for.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/DrDavidDuke/status/875004221510352897

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It's a loving shooting in America. People will be over it in a week.

They'll be over it by tonight when Trump says Gumby carries the Zika virus or whatever.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

botany posted:

no it is actually pretty easy not to see this as a "knock out blow" because it isn't. you're way, way over-estimating the impact this will have next to the sitting president literally doing his damndest to get himself nixon'd. if you think some guy wounding a GOP congressman is going to do more damage than the russia scandal, you're delusional. go outside, chill out, take your meds, whatever.

Well, poo poo, I hope you're right, then. I'll go back to my not posting much in this thread and try to see things from a wider perspective.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

fsif posted:

They'll be over it by tonight when Trump says Gumby carries the Zika virus or whatever.

He better not!

I loving love Gumby.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Can we make it a requirement that you need to actually be in therapy to post in this thread? People are losing their loving minds in here.

People thinking this is anything other than another lovely example of the growing domestic terrorism problem in this country need their head examined. This is not going to lead to 1000 years of conservative darkness or lead to the passing of the enabling act or anything like that.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

fsif posted:

But let's be honest, Trump's next absurd tweet is very likely to be about this. Advisors currently hiding the phone, yadda yadda yadda.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

:kingsley:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Xombie posted:

Even the literal, actual Reichstag Fire resulted in a political situation that only lasted a decade. A US Rep was already shot in the face a few years ago. You're not being ridiculous, just outright dumb.

lol yeah just a li'l political situation that was over in ten years, no damage done

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

This poisonous culture that fosters white on white gun violence needs to be addressed!

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
I guarantee you that every single motherfucker who connects this to Kathy Griffin or Julius Caesar gave Trump a pass when he suggested Clinton be assassinated.

Phil Donahue
Sep 12, 2007
The dude has two Facebook pages?

https://www.facebook.com/jthodgkinson
https://www.facebook.com/james.hodgkinson.568

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
People care so little about domestic terrorism that they actually think that foreign-born terrorists are more common.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Flip Yr Wig posted:

This poo poo is not a Reichstag Fire type event, but it's going to ratchet up the paranoia among the Pepes. The odds of one of them straight up shooting a counter-protester at one of their rallies has definitely gone up.

Of course, those odds are always going up anyway.

That neo-nazi that got arrested in Florida was apparently planning to bomb synogagues and nuclear plants so y'know.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Man, if homeboy had a Trump banner on his Facebook page and had gone after democrats, we'd be hearing about false flags all day.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Xombie posted:

The amount that people care about this will last all of 10 days. A few people being shot and zero deaths is far away from something that will matter. Especially when it is politicians as the victims, who few people have any deep affection for.

Are we living on the same planet? Have I just imagined all those years of GOP hysterics based on way less damning stuff than this?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

These are two different Facebook accounts. No one knows poo poo right now, but everyone's yelling at every guy with that name.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Republicans made jokes when Gabrielle Giffords lost a chunk of her brain to an insane Republican.

They shouted about false flags and setups and loosened gun laws in response to a prepper mowing down two dozen schoolchildren and teachers.

The GOP appreciated the congratulations when 49 gay people were slaughtered while trying to enjoy themselves on the weekend.

But, now, after the Republicans are attempting to strip healthcare away from millions and millions, after the Republicans are attempting to destroy education, after the Republicans are attempting to wreck the planet's climate and render it unlivable for all of us, one of them gets grazed by a bullet, and they begin wailing and crying and shrieking about the Violent Left.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, this is weird.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

IUG posted:

These are two different Facebook accounts. No one knows poo poo right now, but everyone's yelling at every guy with that name.

They both have a picture of the same guy on them, so I'd imagine it's a case of "Old guy doesn't know how to use password recovery"

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

Holy poo poo, reading the unbelievable poo poo being posted on his wall is truly disgusting. gently caress, America is so reactionary and terrible.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/746022114042478592

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

They both have a picture of the same guy on them, so I'd imagine it's a case of "Old guy doesn't know how to use password recovery"

Bernie Sanders?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

axeil posted:

Can we make it a requirement that you need to actually be in therapy to post in this thread? People are losing their loving minds in here.

People thinking this is anything other than another lovely example of the growing domestic terrorism problem in this country need their head examined. This is not going to lead to 1000 years of conservative darkness or lead to the passing of the enabling act or anything like that.

Yeah, seriously. This is awful, but we can't do anything about the right-wing machine screaming bloody murder about this for months to come. We all know the US has a problem with mental health, and a problem with guns, and a problem with incendiary speech, and it doesn't matter whose side the moron is on, these factors are always going to lead to this sort of thing if we don't do anything about the root causes. This thread is a Trump thread, the man who said he could get away with shooting someone in the middle of 5th Avenue. If our elected representatives can get away with saying poo poo like that, then this sort of situation is inevitable.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Are we living on the same planet? Have I just imagined all those years of GOP hysterics based on way less damning stuff than this?

No one's saying they won't play this poo poo up, but a loving duck ramp was a point of contention with them. A dem could have sneezed on a republican senator and they'd play it up as the start of Civil War II.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Is it that hard to create a facebook page and load it up with bullshit like that? Not crying "false flag" just wondering how hard it would be for idiots after the fact to whip one up to confirm the mob

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Spiritus Nox posted:

You've imagined the world in which the general public has a long-term memory about domestic terrorism with low or no fatalities, yes.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Wow, thank you , Dr. Duke. Now I feel slightly less bad for the guy, knowing he's probably really racist. I mean, yes, Republican, but this is just more evidence.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Uhhh guys, this shooting is kind of a really big goddamn deal right now. You can't compare it to past shootings because of the context in which this shooting is occurring. Right Wing Narrativists have been openly declaring their expectation for violence for some time now, and this incident feeds into their persecution complex perfectly.

Also Trump is going to loving pour Kerosene on this bonfire because that is what a Narcissist does in this situation 100% of the time. He has a perfect opportunity now to deflect attention onto his opponents while casting them as dangerous, violent, and unhinged. Trump is going to whip his base into a frenzy with this and it will result in minorities being targeted for violence by right-wing vigilante groups.

You guys talking about how "this is no big deal because of past incidents" are ignoring how irrational these people are and how deeply invested they are in living in their story. This event gives them the chance to flee the horrifying reality where Trump is a failure and leap into the fantasy where they are a persecuted minority fighting a noble Holy War against a vile and detestable Enemy. Remember The Bundy Ranch and Malheur? Well more of that same variety of irrationality is coming to us soon, but this time it won't be militias targeting the Feds, it'll be militias targeting minorities.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
That dude's facebook page has turned into the stupidest chatroom of all time.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
People need to stop this sadbrains, end-is-now, all-is-lost horseshit.

Go full Rovian. Weaknesses as strengths. He's an unemployed Berniecrat? Good. Maybe if the Senate hears there are thousands more out there, armed to the teeth through lax gun control laws, the AHCA won't pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

IUG posted:

Bernie Sanders?

No, this guy

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Is it that hard to create a facebook page and load it up with bullshit like that? Not crying "false flag" just wondering how hard it would be for idiots after the fact to whip one up to confirm the mob

It would be hard to have stuff backdated like that, I'd imagine.

• Locked thread