Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RBA Starblade posted:

Julian was great. I especially liked how he started to dunk on Bradford just to be an rear end.

Bradford needs to shut the gently caress up at times. Yes, I'm aware that the Andromedon just took out the datavault with it, I don't need you reminding me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

That atmosphere of gearing 30 rookies up with stun prods and sending them out in a psychotic charge to subdue one Sectoid in a barn. So majestic.

Hahahahaha

Great times..... and I mean that without a single drop of irony. Also getting shot from *something* in the dark.

Btw, first time I played the original, I had *no idea* of what the game would be like. So the first time I had a tactical mission, I was like "whoa", I had thought the entire game would be played in the geoscape... and the first time I saw a sectoid, I was so excited I actually didn't think about killing him. I was like "maybe it's possible to contact the aliens??", and I approached without firing a single shot. End turn and I quickly understood what the game was about.

Iron Crowned posted:

Honestly if you feel so strongly about how bad this expansion is, you should toxx yourself, your wining is getting annoying as gently caress.

Don't read my posts, then. When you see my avatar, skip the post. See? That wasn't so bad. If you get so annoyed by my "wining", either skip my posts or maybe try to quit being such a thin-skinned little bitch who gets so annoyed by different opinions.

That said, I'll most probably buy and play the poo poo out of this expansion anyway.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I still love the plot of this stupid, stupid game though. I just found myself rewatching a few cutscenes trying to find that clip of Julian mocking Bradford for taking twenty years to find the commander, and in doing so was reminded of how much I love the atmosphere of Xcom 2 even if it is dumb as hell. The tutorial mission, which no one will ever do again once they've run it once? With Bradford personally storming an Advent facility to bust the Commander out and Jane Kelly being all cool? I still love that poo poo. Tygan's introduction scene, explaining the severity of the situation and how hard it is to do any meaningful research while on the run? The mood of that scene always pleases me; it seems to perfectly impress upon the player the weight of what they have to accomplish.

So yeah, all things considered I am still pumped up for some more Xcom. Actually thinking about firing up a new vanilla campaign while we wait.

Edit: Though I gotta say, one thing about the story of Xcom 2 has always bothered me. The underlying implication that the Commander is being helped along by some rogue ethereal or some such, and everything would've been all for naught without that aid. It really does feel like it cheapens what is ultimately supposed to be humanity's struggle.

Backhand fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 14, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bakalakadaka posted:

There's a pretty good GlaDOS voice pack that can be used by Sparks on the workshop.

The Whaetley one is also pretty good.

"I'm not 100 percent sure we're going the right way but I'm pretty sure."

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I had just uninstalled Xcom 2 when this was announced :sigh:

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
PCGamer has a small article about the expansion up now: http://www.pcgamer.com/xcom-2s-huge-war-of-the-chosen-expansion-detailed/

Talks about soldier bonds and stuff

DarkAvenger211 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 14, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

quote:

You can send a tired soldier into battle, but there's a chance they will earn quirky traits. Jake Solomon gave the 'obsessive' trait as an example. If an obsessive soldier's clip is empty there's a chance they will use their first action in a turn to reload—anyone who mashes the reload key constantly in an FPS will sympathise. The system is designed to add more character-forming foibles to your squads, and to encourage you to diversify by benching tired soldiers to develop others.

Details on the fatigue system. I like it.

Also confirms the 'hero classes' aren't unique characters. You can hire multiple of them like any other soldier and customize them, they're just locked behind rep gates and advance differently from your other dudes. Original soldiers also get limited access to this advancement system, which seems basically like an AWC point buy with points you earn by doing things like hitting an enemy with a low chance shot, or killing from full health woth a crit.

Also

quote:

Perhaps my favourite addition in War of the Chosen is the soldier bonds system. As your soldiers fight alongside one another in battle, pairs will be flagged as 'compatible'. If you nurture this compatibility your squaddies can form bonds that come with battlefield effects. Superfriends can potentially fire simultaneously on targets. If one goes down to panic, the other can run over and remove that status effect (Jake also mentioned new types of panic, but we'll have to wait and see what those are)

We Fire Emblem now. Complete with Pair up and dual attack/dual defense.

Zore fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 14, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zore posted:

Small thing, but I have to wonder if same-sex compatibility will be a thing.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The expansion looks boring as hell. Remake Apocalypse already dammit.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm hoping that one of the different types of panic means that they actually evac after screaming "EVAC! WE NEED EMERGENCY EVAC! NOW DAMMIT NOW!" instead of just hunkering down in the evac zone as the interceptors force Firebrand to leave.

Also, I'm pretty pumped for quirks for some reason.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Small thing, but I have to wonder if same-sex compatibility will be a thing.

It is. The bond is left open for interpretation according to Jake but can form between any soldiers.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zore posted:

It is. The bond is left open for interpretation according to Jake but can form between any soldiers.

Yeah, sounds like they're becoming "war buddies" no matter who it is. Hopefully the Sparks count too

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, sounds like they're becoming "war buddies" no matter who it is. Hopefully the Sparks count too

Julian voice Spark saving someone from panic wpuld be amazing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Iron Crowned posted:

"I'd die for you Julain."
"Good, because I want to kill you :geno:"

Andre Banzai posted:

I'm one of those insufferable fans.

Gollop's masterpiece had you shooting giant purple men in green spandex. These games have always been absurd.

You are delusional.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 14, 2017

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Zore posted:

I hope the expansion pack after this one adds time travel elements and lets you recruit the children of your soldiers to fight alongside you

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Gollop's masterpiece had you shooting giant purple men in green spandex. These games have always been absurd.

You are delusional.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYW50k_HJI0 So tense, so mysterious.

quote:

You can send a tired soldier into battle, but there's a chance they will earn quirky traits. Jake Solomon gave the 'obsessive' trait as an example. If an obsessive soldier's clip is empty there's a chance they will use their first action in a turn to reload—anyone who mashes the reload key constantly in an FPS will sympathise. The system is designed to add more character-forming foibles to your squads, and to encourage you to diversify by benching tired soldiers to develop others.
Nice. This is hilarious.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zore posted:

Good. I would have been really annoyed with Firaxis otherwise.

I do like the idea of the pair-up mechanics. I can't be the only one who's found certain troopers always working together in a one-two combo.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I'm glad I only have to wait 2 and a half months for this because it's gonna own.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Zore posted:

Julian voice Spark saving someone from panic wpuld be amazing.

"You may be an inferior species, but you're still my favourite one. Cheer up, buddy!"

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Deltasquid posted:

I hope the expansion pack after this one adds time travel elements and lets you recruit the children of your soldiers to fight alongside you

Pretty sure there's a mod for that

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

ZenVulgarity posted:

Pretty sure there's a mod for that

I know, I have it, but I never actually played enough with it to actually get to see it in action. The friendship values that were added were kinda clunky as far as I remember

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

You are delusional.

Different times, different aesthetics. Movies, comic books, videogames etc. But let's throw that out of the window. What you're actually advocating is that the XCOM series should welcome lovely design with open arms because, you know what, the whole package is just a silly mess anyway. I disagree. I think the first game was a masterpiece that explored a lot of really cool alien mythology tropes, the XCOM:EU remake was pretty freaking good, great atmosphere, a more than worthy successor, XCOM 2 improves on a ton of gameplay elements while going on a design direction I don't really like that much, and The Chosen are so bad, bland and generic in terms of design it's cringeworthy. Other people here have expressed this very same sentiment towards The Chosen. But perhaps everyone's wrong for noticing.

It's actually refreshing to see that people complaining about my complaints are so unreasonable.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Honestly if you feel so strongly about how bad this expansion is, you should toxx yourself, your wining is getting annoying as gently caress.

i disagree with his opinion but come on hes allowed to have it

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

DarkAvenger211 posted:

PCGamer has a small article about the expansion up now: http://www.pcgamer.com/xcom-2s-huge-war-of-the-chosen-expansion-detailed/#comment-jump

Talks about soldier bonds and stuff

A lot of really cool gameplay stuff there.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I for one have always been aware that these games are cheesy and campy and pulpy and whatevery as hell, ever since I first played the original and saw that Floaters had goddamned capes. And I'm fine with that, I like cheesy silly stuff. I just think the Chosen look boring and uninteresting instead of the fun kind of cheesy. :shrug:

That is also just a small nitpick, and anyone who reads that complaint as me condemning the whole expansion over it is a loving moron. I am stoked as all hell for this poo poo.

Here's IGN's bigass infodump about it http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/06/14/e3-2017-extensive-details-on-xcom-2-war-of-the-chosen

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Nordick posted:

I for one have always been aware that these games are cheesy and campy and pulpy and whatevery as hell, ever since I first played the original and saw that Floaters had goddamned capes. And I'm fine with that, I like cheesy silly stuff. I just think the Chosen look boring and uninteresting instead of the fun kind of cheesy. :shrug:

That is also just a small nitpick, and anyone who reads that complaint as me condemning the whole expansion over it is a loving moron. I am stoked as all hell for this poo poo.

Here's IGN's bigass infodump about it http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/06/14/e3-2017-extensive-details-on-xcom-2-war-of-the-chosen

Mission modifiers sounds like something that will be really interesting once we get some mods for them.
I am loving how many "random" aspects they are adding to the generation levels of the game. Fixes some of the reply issues I have.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

quote:

But, importantly, the three Chosen characters are not working together - they’re in competition, racing to be the one to defeat XCOM and thus be left in control of Earth by the Elders. Each one controls their own territory and has their own knowledge meter, so those factors will influence which ones you attempt to track down and kill in their stronghold (they’ll teleport out if you defeat them on a normal mission). The way Solomon describes those stronghold raid missions sounds a lot like the alien base missions in XCOM: Enemy Unknown, where you fight through a linear series of chambers to reach a boss fight at the end.

Unlike the Rulers, the Chosen’s goal isn’t to kill soldiers - they’re trying to disable your troops and interrogate them in order to gain a resource called Knowledge, which will eventually lead them to the Avenger. So many of their attacks don’t even do damage, but instead inflicts a new “dazed” status that leaves XCOM soldiers temporarily vulnerable to interrogation - or worse, capture - if the Chosen can reach them before a teammate can move adjacent to them and snap them out of it. (Rescuing a captured soldier requires that you send your troops on a stealth mission.)

In order to hunt down a Chosen, you’ll need to work with your targeted Chosen’s rival resistance faction, which is randomly paired each game. You’ll need to spend some of your Covert Action efforts with either the Reapers, the Templars, or the Skirmishers to pinpoint the location of the associated Chosen’s stronghold (and the Chosen will take more damage from that faction). Solomon says you don’t have to and probably won’t hunt down all the Chosen before you beat a game. However (minor spoiler alert!) any Chosen you don’t kill before reaching the final string of missions will face off with you at some point - all at once. Also, there’s a whole new ending cinematic, too, so there’s something waiting for those of us who’ve already beaten it.

EDIT:

quote:

Now might be a good time to discuss Covert Actions, which are huge. They’re similar to what we saw in XCOM: Enemy Within with dispatching agents on time-based missions to hunt down Exalt bases. But here we’re sending them off in pairs, with an option to attach an extra resource like a third soldier, an engineer or a scientist or a piece of equipment or some Intel to mitigate a hazard the covert team might face. (“But a lot of the time, as a player, I’m like, eh, they’ll be fine,” Solomon adds.) If you don’t spend the extra resource and your team has bad luck, they could be captured outright or it could trigger an Ambush mission in which you have to control them in a mission to try to sneak them out of danger from both Lost and Advent pursuers. From the sound of it there will be a lot of opportunities for Covert Actions, since they’ll be used to improve your relationship with the three other resistance factions. “You’re constantly juggling what you should be doing with Covert Actions,” says Solomon. He adds that the Resistance Ring is a new facility that helps do Covert Actions faster.

That all sounds really freaking cool.

Andre Banzai fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 14, 2017

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Andre Banzai posted:

Different times, different aesthetics. Movies, comic books, videogames etc. But let's throw that out of the window. What you're actually advocating is that the XCOM series should welcome lovely design with open arms because, you know what, the whole package is just a silly mess anyway. I disagree. I think the first game was a masterpiece that explored a lot of really cool alien mythology tropes, the XCOM:EU remake was pretty freaking good, great atmosphere, a more than worthy successor, XCOM 2 improves on a ton of gameplay elements while going on a design direction I don't really like that much, and The Chosen are so bad, bland and generic in terms of design it's cringeworthy. Other people here have expressed this very same sentiment towards The Chosen. But perhaps everyone's wrong for noticing.

It's actually refreshing to see that people complaining about my complaints are so unreasonable.

X-Com was always a Saturday morning cartoon, tonally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX0Cm3N_n6k

You beat the game by blowing up a giant alien eyeball.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

quote:

Meanwhile, research has a new angle to it in Breakthroughs and Inspirations, which are meant to tempt you away from your standard research path of choice. They appear randomly: Once you finish researching a tech, Tygon will sometimes offer you a one-time chance at researching a new tech that might offer bonuses like increasing all sniper rifle damage by one, or all conventional weapon damage by one, or halving the cost of a given facility. Inspirations will give you one-time opportunities to research a tech at a discounted rate.
Uh, neat. That has a lot of potential to change campaigns up.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Andre Banzai posted:

That all sounds really freaking cool.

A network tower mission > Chosen beatdown > Alien HQ assault string would be fun and brutal.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think there's a bit of a difference between having a cheesy intro movie and whatever this is. Just because a little bit of cheese is good doesn't mean it's OK to go overboard. This looks really bad to me, especially the emphasis on hero units and boss battles. XCOM2 already had some questionable design choices which were evened out by a lot of great UI improvements, but this pushes things over the line for me. Definitely not worth $20 or whatever.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Interesting. Because using explosives attracts more Lost, whenever you kill one you get an immediate free action. Serial for everyone!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Andre Banzai posted:

Like no offense here, but this has always been XCom.

It's always been aliens in skintight suits, lobstermen, 50 rookies punching an alien down. Thin Men, floaters, and bug eyed Sectoids. Guile haircuts and psychic soldiers.

It's been Bradford talking about the good old days, hipster dudes wearing fedoras, and snake titties. It's been MECs and throwing Sectoids in MECs. It's been Saturday morning style alien telepaths yelling you will never understand as GI Joe busts up their base.

If you thought it was a serious pastiche on Alien Invasion tropes I'm sorry, but thats on you. XCom has always been about the absurdist, and structured as a GI Joeish take on the whole Aliens thing.

I'm not saying you have to like the Chosen. I'm saying we've all said our piece and Firaxis isn't changing them off what gets posted in this thread.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I think there's a bit of a difference between having a cheesy intro movie and whatever this is. Just because a little bit of cheese is good doesn't mean it's OK to go overboard. This looks really bad to me, especially the emphasis on hero units and boss battles. XCOM2 already had some questionable design choices which were evened out by a lot of great UI improvements, but this pushes things over the line for me. Definitely not worth $20 or whatever.

'Hero units' are literally just a different class of soldier that levels differently from your dudes. They aren't unique.

Also everything about this expansion is extremely my poo poo and i look forward to like 200 hours in it

Zore fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 14, 2017

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zore posted:

'Hero units' are literally just a different class of soldier that levels differently from your dudes. They aren't unique.

Not unique as a whole, but it sounds like they're going to be customizable enough to be unique to your individual campaign. Really the way an XCOM Hero unit should be.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Not unique as a whole, but it sounds like they're going to be customizable enough to be unique to your individual campaign. Really the way an XCOM Hero unit should be.

You can recruit multiple of each and they're randomly generated like othet soldiers. And they probably have full customization since your other dudes explicitly have access to their armor props.

They're just a different kind of unit. Like Sparks and Psi-Ops

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Interesting. One of the covert ops perks you can get is ADVENT soldiers defecting to your side.

Also, Lost that get set on fire will panic and run around and set other Lost on fire.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
My favorite bit

quote:

Worse are the consequences of sending a soldier who’s already tired in for another round of combat. You can do it if you need to, but if you do they’ll could potentially pick up negative traits such as Aggressive, where telling them to go on Overwatch might cause them to attack immediately. Another one causes the to want their weapon to be fully loaded, so sometimes when you move them they’ll automatically use their next move to reload their weapon. Others are more straightforward, like a fear of certain enemy types that cause them to go berserk and attack that unit or hunker down on sight of that enemy. Those traits only trigger a max of once per mission, and can be cured at the Infirmary.

The fatigue penalties are super light and can be cured.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Zore posted:

My favorite bit

The fatigue penalties are super light and can be cured.

Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidous killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

Definitely not worth $20 or whatever.

A whole twenty for an expansion likely to be in equal scale to E:W.