Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

lol, I literally used a the tinfoil hat in my post, dude.

Yeah I know, but I'm pretty sure I saw a few more people wondering about why he'd have two Facebook accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Xombie posted:

Hot take: No one will give a poo poo about this in two weeks, tops, because no one died. No one cares about terrorism where no one dies.

Nah. You see, no one cares about terrorism when it's a white Christian republican killing muslims, gays, blacks, mexicans, etc.
Republicans care a whole loving lot no matter who the shooter is when it's against one of their own. The persecution meter ramps up to 547 on a scale of 1-10 and RW media constantly uses the event to wave their loving persecution flag.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

jeremy posted:

Crazies belong to every party. But conservative spin is more powerful than liberal spin.

This is going to gently caress liberalism and leftism in this country far more than it'd hurt conservatism if all participants parties' were reversed.

The only people who listen to conservative spin are conservatives. I'm not worried about there being a whole lot of ideological leftists who are going to stay home just because of a single lone-wolf attack.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Dmitri-9 posted:

You have an amazing ability to predict things that have already happened.

FWIW I predicted both the Maheur incident and the PP attacks months before they occurred- all just by studying the way the Right Wing was filtering reality through their Inner narrative. I'm telling you guys, don;t dismiss this situation.

To put yourself into the mindset of a Narrativists think of reality as if we are all living in a Movie. This event is a perfect plot point in a movie, and from the perspective of right wing Narrativists it is confirmation of their long held suspicions about violent left wingers. This is just the thing they need to get away from the unpleasent reality of Trump's failures and into the super exciting and fun fantasy of being heroes struggling against evil people who need to die for the good of us all. You cannot understand Trump voters until you understnad that they are living through a story and they base their reactions to real world events upon that story and nothing else. When real world events line up with the story they want to live (and being noble heroes fighting oppression is both a popular theme in American entertainment but a fun premise to daydream about) then they will interpret real world events as valdating that story and then they will change their behaviour and base their life decisions around their embrace of that story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j6IrGR-cFg&t=60s

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Other than the surge in right wing horseshit this attack is meaningless because the shitbags already control everything. It will produce immense audio and visual pollution as a tidal wave of toxic bullshit spews forth from the propaganda machine at all levels, probably for months if not years.

But the basic problem remains the same: the worst people in the country control the country and as yet there hasn't been even one meaningful result for all the negative attention they've received.

Until these terrible people are forced out of power with their reputations in tatters, until Democrats start taking seats from Republicans it's all window-dressing.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Dear lord... gently caress this world.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The shooter did what this thread has been advocating for since November. Isn't the idea that Scalise will now be less of a Nazi?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Xombie posted:

None of the predictions you're making in this post are actually new events. The violent crazy people were already being violent and crazy. You just weren't paying attention, like everyone else. Right-wing domestic terrorism is already the most common form of terrorism in the United States. It is not new.

You're trying to reason with someone who posts giant effortposts and threads with her own made-up definitions of concepts that only exist on the string-covered corkboard in her mind.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

business hammocks posted:

He's white. Nobody other than freeper types will ever use that word. "Mentally ill" is the label you're looking for.

Xombie posted:

If you walked up to people and asked them about the political motivation for domestic terrorist attacks that happened only a year ago, you would likely only be able to find half of them that could name the political motivation.

No one even died here. There's not even going to be a memorial to harp on. Everyone shot will be out of the hospital in days.

Wow there's a lot of really stupid people that post here.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Facebook has a feature that lets you give yourself a /nickname URL so you don't have to remember+link people to /first.last.### or whatever so yeah the same account can have two URLs

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

The shooter did what this thread has been advocating for since November. Isn't the idea that Scalise will now be less of a Nazi?

https://mobile.twitter.com/DrDavidDuke/status/875004221510352897

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
The people who think this is going away are fooling themselves.

The people who think the Republicans won't try to use it to justify some heinous poo poo are fooling themselves.

The people who believe that the right-wing keeping this alive or being successful in their lovely justification are also fooling themselves.

Yes, this won't go away. Yes, they will pull some poo poo. Their naked attempts will fail, because they're not subtle people.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
I don't feel particularly bad feeling like this is going to be an absolute political nightmare bordering on catastrophe. It's like some people slept through Nov. 8.

This is how poo poo goes from bad to worse. At least have the courtesy not to chide people for appropriately freaking out a little.

I'm really concerned for 2018.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BarbarianElephant posted:

Bollocks. Note how Islamic terrorism has made people considerably *less* sympathetic to the problems in the Middle East?

LOL. The the terrorist didn't want that or else they wouldn't be terrorists. They want you to continue bleeding both blood and treasure as you have done since 9/11 so they can be warlords.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

'I never thought guns would be shot at ME,' sobs congressman from the Guns Shooting at People Party.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Xombie posted:

None of the predictions you're making in this post are actually new events. The violent crazy people were already being violent and crazy. You just weren't paying attention, like everyone else. Right-wing domestic terrorism is already the most common form of terrorism in the United States. It is not new.

You have no idea how amusing I find it it is for me to go from being run out of threads 3 years ago for warning about the threat that militias posed to now being accused of underestimating the threat because I was not "paying attention, like everyone else".

Also, I am very certainly asserting that things are going to be kicked up a notch by this. I've been pretty good for a few years now at predicting the trends of how GOP Narrativists would react, and I'm telling you that what we are about to see is going to be a very different beast from what we have seen thus far.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I seriously think there are going to be retaliatory attacks, not necessarily aimed at Dem politicians, but at things associated with Dems, a climate rally, a mosque, pride rally, something of that sort. There are a lot of Trump supporters who are waiting for an excuse for violence (that is, those that haven't been violent already), and I can see something like that spiraling out of control very quickly, especially if Trump says something like "These dangerous Libs out there, you have to protect yourself!"

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

IUG posted:

These are two different Facebook accounts. No one knows poo poo right now, but everyone's yelling at every guy with that name.

The Gamera episodes were p funny but Mike was always the best host and this proves it

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
This guy is literally a leftist caricature.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

So then why are you upset about it? You should be applauding this man.

Belleville, Illinois.....the town where i was born

Caros
May 14, 2008

My one hope took come out of this poo poo is that he wasn't legally able buy a gun until republicans weakened gun laws.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Bollocks. Note how Islamic terrorism has made people considerably *less* sympathetic to the problems in the Middle East?

what Islamic terrorism

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

So could it be said that he was no angel?

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Harrow posted:

All I'm saying is that if we suddenly have a Very Serious National Conversation about "left-wing terrorism" for a few weeks when right-wing terrorism has just gotten a pass for years, and Trump's approval ratings surge for a while after he condemns the "radical Democrat" who did this, none of you have any right to be surprised.
This is exactly what I expect, and it'll be terrible, but I'm curious to see how it'll be framed. Obviously they can't say guns are a problem. Saying it's a mental health issue will clash with their desire to take medical care from people. If the shooter is an older white Christian male who was born in the USA, there's all of their favorite cards out of play.

They're going to try to twist this to an advantage, and the fuckers will probably succeed because that's their superpower, but it'll at least take some effort.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

SocketWrench posted:

Nah. You see, no one cares about terrorism when it's a white Christian republican killing muslims, gays, blacks, mexicans, etc.
Republicans care a whole loving lot no matter who the shooter is when it's against one of their own. The persecution meter ramps up to 547 on a scale of 1-10 and RW media constantly uses the event to wave their loving persecution flag.

Actually people only care about domestic terrorism when it's targeting minorities. Charleston, for instance. White supremacists targeting government officials is downright common and it barely gets coverage unless they're mortally wounded.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ugh, the Ed Show and Bill Maher. Terrible taste

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

From zero concern to be concern isn't less.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Small, rapidly moving Kindergarteners: Perfect aim.
Slow, fat GOP legislators: Can't hit for poo poo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dirk Pitt posted:

Jesus god, he's like a perfect, glowing avatar of everything the alt-right thinks "libs" are.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Harrow posted:

Yeah, this is a 60+ dude who clearly isn't thinking rationally in his day-to-day life. I don't think it's so hard to believe he'd have two Facebook pages to the point of suspecting some kind of conspiracy. I'm pretty sure my mom signed up for Facebook like three times before she finally landed on a password she can remember.

Chilichimp posted:

I mean, he definitely is a confused old guy. :shrug:

Do you have any evidence that this guy was mentally ill or "thinking irrationally" or something? From what little I've seen so far I'm seeing a guy who 1. accurately identified that the rich are sucking up the vast majority of the wealth and 2. accurately recognizes the Republicans as active enemies of the people

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Ok, but what if this was really an attack on Christians?

Harrow posted:

Jesus god, he's like a perfect, glowing avatar of everything the alt-right thinks "libs" are.

But he used a gun instead of a drum circle?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Cran posted:

I don't feel particularly bad feeling like this is going to be an absolute political nightmare bordering on catastrophe. It's like some people slept through Nov. 8.

This is how poo poo goes from bad to worse. At least have the courtesy not to chide people for appropriately freaking out a little.

I'm really concerned for 2018.

This will have zero political impact.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Prester Jane posted:

You have no idea how amusing I find it it is for me to go from being run out of threads 3 years ago for warning about the threat that militias posed to now being accused of underestimating the threat because I was not "paying attention, like everyone else".

Also, I am very certainly asserting that things are going to be kicked up a notch by this. I've been pretty good for a few years now at predicting the trends of how GOP Narrativists would react, and I'm telling you that what we are about to see is going to be a very different beast from what we have seen thus far.

I didn't say you underestimated it. It's the opposite. I said you overestimate how much it will matter.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

D&D: Non-violent resistance sucks and is useless! You must use violence to get your point across!

*some dude uses violence to get his point across*

D&D: god dammit what the gently caress

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Dirk Pitt posted:

Oh my god, I might also be a leftist caricature. :ohdear:

We should probably delay any panic until we find out this guy's motive here. He's still alive, so we don't need to worry about guesswork on this. (Well, not as much. Tinfoilists will jump to all the conclusions.)

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chilichimp posted:

The people who think this is going away are fooling themselves.

The people who think the Republicans won't try to use it to justify some heinous poo poo are fooling themselves.

The people who believe that the right-wing keeping this alive or being successful in their lovely justification are also fooling themselves.

Yes, this won't go away. Yes, they will pull some poo poo. Their naked attempts will fail, because they're not subtle people.

They are making poo poo up from thin air. It having any substance isn't going to change a thing. These people suck down propaganda like a fish breathes water.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Harrow posted:

Which is why I'm mildly suspicious. I'm not trying to be a tinfoil hat. It just seems a bit too "on the nose".

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/874988902037192705
https://twitter.com/IvoHDaalder/status/874980311045726208
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/875006982436081665
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/875012073457156096
https://twitter.com/kreighbaum/status/875009723807956992
https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/875010065778057217
https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/875009943069368320
https://twitter.com/KristenhCNN/status/875008253549314052

Of course:
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/875011914245562368

Kurt?
https://twitter.com/APEastRegion/status/875006239641661441

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Trump statement seems pretty boilerplate. I guess they found a way to keep him on script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

D&D: Non-violent resistance sucks and is useless! You must use violence to get your point across!

*some dude uses violence to get his point across*

D&D: god dammit what the gently caress

said no one in D&D ever

• Locked thread