Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Never has the phrase "Modding is the game" been more appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Never has the phrase "Modding is the game" been more appropriate.

Haha modding Oblivion was definitely the game more than Oblivion itself for me and my buddy back in the day. Finding just the right ones and figuring out how to make them work together.

I've also installed FCOM circa 2014 with some additional small mods on top :suicide:

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Unreal_One posted:

These are not completely different notes. FFT 1.3 is designed by someone who expects, at the least, a complete knowledge of base game mechanics, and includes an unwinnable, randomly occurring boss battle (The boss can, every turn, permanently kill one of the characters in your party, amongst other things) that the creator patches every time someone figures out a way to kill.

Note that this may have changed since I payed attention to it, back when the 1.3 easy mode patch had just been released.

As a followup to this guy: While the actual Final Fantasy thread can give you a much more comprehensive list as to why this mod is absolutely insane to play for any reasonable person, allow me to give you one of the more outrageous aspects of this mod:

Not only does it expect you to grind like there's no tomorrow, it also expects you to know the correct way to grind, or else your grinding will leave you worse off than just going in without having ground at all.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
What is it about Final Fantasy modding specifically that seems to attract lunatics with a fundamentally broken notion of what constitutes fun?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Sordas Volantyr posted:

As a followup to this guy: While the actual Final Fantasy thread can give you a much more comprehensive list as to why this mod is absolutely insane to play for any reasonable person, allow me to give you one of the more outrageous aspects of this mod:

Not only does it expect you to grind like there's no tomorrow, it also expects you to know the correct way to grind, or else your grinding will leave you worse off than just going in without having ground at all.

He also supposedly would have temper tantrums about cheating when people beat his supposedly unbeatable optional superboss, iirc.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Angry Diplomat posted:

What is it about Final Fantasy modding specifically that seems to attract lunatics with a fundamentally broken notion of what constitutes fun?

Final Fantasy is an old series that has its roots in some of the most broken and abused statistical systems in gaming. That prediliction shows both in its hardcore fanbase, and periodically reveals itself in its games. Remember Pandemonium Warden.

edit: ^^^^^lol, bingo

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
See I get that, but I have trouble understanding how "I enjoy these broken, abusable games and their mechanics, including the grindy aspects" translates to "gameplay that's literally designed to waste time and frustrate the player is good, actually, and I'm going to make the most unrewarding game ever with a random chance to suddenly display gently caress YOU and quit to menu, because that's what fun is."

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Most normal people realize that the hallmark of late 80's-early 90's RPGs--that you trigger one of three combat encounters every time you move 3 squares on the map--is not that fun. Then there are brokebrains who react to anything less HARDCORE than this with disdain.

The same thing happens in MMOs. People react with outrage if devs make any aspect of the game easier or less grindy, and if given a say will encourage the dev to instead make things more grindy.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

dont even fink about it posted:

Most normal people realize that the hallmark of late 80's-early 90's RPGs--that you trigger one of three combat encounters every time you move 3 squares on the map--is not that fun. Then there are brokebrains who react to anything less HARDCORE than this with disdain.

The same thing happens in MMOs. People react with outrage if devs make any aspect of the game easier or less grindy, and if given a say will encourage the dev to instead make things more grindy.

Or ones like the people who clamoured for WOW to make its raids harder, when they hadn't done any of the raids themselves.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the pretense of being a hardcore gamer is the sole status symbol they have, despite the fact that no sane person would ever want that label.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

See I get that, but I have trouble understanding how "I enjoy these broken, abusable games and their mechanics, including the grindy aspects" translates to "gameplay that's literally designed to waste time and frustrate the player is good, actually, and I'm going to make the most unrewarding game ever with a random chance to suddenly display gently caress YOU and quit to menu, because that's what fun is."

Have you ever glanced at the Payday 2 Thread, specifically, Death Vox? (not yet a mod)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That doesn't even just happen to MMOs. Subnautica has its own cadre of git-gudders that are doing their absolute best to steer the devs off course into making the game more "hardcore" by making it as tedious as possible, since everyone knows more mouse clicks needed to get anything done means it's more hardcore and the gameplay is better. Basically anything in the game that makes you any better than a shivering, helpless diverman is an affront to them.

Thread relevant: I seriously hope subnautica ends up with limited moddability so some of the dumb tedious poo poo they've been doing can be removed, such as the 4 different ways they have made the big submarine more of a pointless hassle to use.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

Look at the people who think what Oblivion needed was unlevelled regions, or that what an RTS needs is about a billion more resources. Mod stuff is largely amateur gamedev, and part of being amateur is maybe understanding that sometimes a thing is good but not understanding why that was good in that context or how to make that thing work within the game.

Seriously though, I cannot think of one RTS overhaul that wasn't just "here's a billion more bits of fiddly bullshit you have to understand to accomplish what you could in vanilla."

TGLT fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 14, 2017

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

The thing is, when someone who considers themselves a hardcore gamer wants to make a hard mod for a turn based RPG, they quickly run into the wall of "well you can just grind until you're a high enough level to make the fights trivial." Then this quickly leads to a situation where if there's multiple ways to optimize your characters at max level, then "you can have an optimal strategy that makes fights trivial." Since they want the game to be hard to them, they think the only correct way to do this in a mod is to make the fights hard with an optimal setup at max level.

This leads to a giant gently caress you to anyone who isn't using an optimal setup that grinded until everything was maxed out. I've seen this in Pokemon hacks as well, where normally the games end with things at level 50-70 but there are hacks that actually expect you to grind all your pokemon to level 100, which takes forever, and then throws like lvl 150 opponents at you so that your perfectly optimized sets with minmaxed lvl 100 pokemon will still struggle with the battles.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Kikas posted:

Have you ever glanced at the Payday 2 Thread, specifically, Death Vox? (not yet a mod)

Hey now, that game design fanfiction is a work of art.

...And even at its worst, still better than the design going into the actual game. Robbedacop anyone?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 14, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Digirat posted:

That doesn't even just happen to MMOs. Subnautica has its own cadre of git-gudders that are doing their absolute best to steer the devs off course into making the game more "hardcore" by making it as tedious as possible, since everyone knows more mouse clicks needed to get anything done means it's more hardcore and the gameplay is better. Basically anything in the game that makes you any better than a shivering, helpless diverman is an affront to them.

Thread relevant: I seriously hope subnautica ends up with limited moddability so some of the dumb tedious poo poo they've been doing can be removed, such as the 4 different ways they have made the big submarine more of a pointless hassle to use.

Subnautica will almost certainly be moddable, it's by Unknown Worlds, the team that made Natural Selection 2. They bent over backwards in that game to make sure that modding was not only possible but easy to do, and provided documentation and source for everything. Makes sense, NS1 was a mod, so that's their roots. It'd be weird for Subnautica to do a 180 and have no mod support.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

GunnerJ posted:

He also supposedly would have temper tantrums about cheating when people beat his supposedly unbeatable optional superboss, iirc.

This is a particular modder/romhacker quirk I've never understood: they'll make some boss "unbeatable", someone else will post a video of them using an utterly insane strategy to beat it, and they'll promptly update the mod to make the boss immune to that strategy in response.

Why? If they were all "of COURSE it's beatable, you just have to git gud scrub :smug:" I'd understand (if also roll my eyes as hard as humanly possible), but no. They expect their pet boss to be literally unbeatable and apparently take players actually finding ways to defeat them as a personal affront.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah, normally that kinda stuff is reserved for Minecraft and games of that nature!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Kerning Chameleon posted:

This is a particular modder/romhacker quirk I've never understood: they'll make some boss "unbeatable", someone else will post a video of them using an utterly insane strategy to beat it, and they'll promptly update the mod to make the boss immune to that strategy in response.

Why? If they were all "of COURSE it's beatable, you just have to git gud scrub :smug:" I'd understand (if also roll my eyes as hard as humanly possible), but no. They expect their pet boss to be literally unbeatable and apparently take players actually finding ways to defeat them as a personal affront.

I think it's that, in making an unkillable boss, they show everyone they understand the system well enough that they can make something that can't be defeated by the rules of the system. If you then beat it, you are proving you know a way to win that they don't, and by implication you understand the rules better than they do. This kills the ego.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Let me know when someone mods the cavalcade of gently caress-you monsters out of Subnautica. I was interested at one point, but the clamouring tryhards in the Steam forums turned me right off.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

dont even fink about it posted:

One of the reason why people prefers the remakes of older JRPGs like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest is because they fix a lot of bugs that plagued the originals, and tweaked the stats so you don't have spend eight hours grinding for levels.

marshmallow creep posted:

I think it's that, in making an unkillable boss, they show everyone they understand the system well enough that they can make something that can't be defeated by the rules of the system. If you then beat it, you are proving you know a way to win that they don't, and by implication you understand the rules better than they do. This kills the ego.

In a way, though, I do like that general approach. Once you get a in-depth knowledge of the inner workings of a game, and figure out how to take advantage of various exploits, you can trivialize most of the challenge. I imagine most mod authors are people who know the game they modding for inside-out, so they craft their design based on the idea that people are using those same exploits. It might appeal to other fans with that same indepth knowledge, but newcomers find it inapproachable.

I'm not someone who like extremely difficult games, but I think there's an appeal when a game stacks the deck against you. If you make a game too easy, or strive to make something perfectly balanced, then it can feel very rote. When you're put at a disadvantage, you start thinking outside the box for ways to overcome whatever challenge you're presented with. I'm not trying to defend any of the examples that have been posted, I just think that it could really work if it was executed better.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there is a lot of room between a mod to make an easy game harder and a mod to make an easy game impossible for everyone who isn't too autistic to function in society.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I always just assumed "unbeatable bosses" were intended as community challenges. The player is tasked with figuring out a strategy for a fight that the modder themselves considers to be impossible. The one who succeeds get some fleeting moments of fame in whatever community the mod originated in, and the fight is subsequently updated to require a new approach.

It's not something that would appeal to a broader player base, but then difficulty mods are almost always rather insular affairs. I was actually really surprised by how popular 1.3 got a few years ago, considering it caters to an incredibly small segment of FFT fans.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Kerning Chameleon posted:

See I could accept this if they responded by adding some new optional megaboss that isn't vulnerable in that way as a kind of ongoing challenge for people who like that stuff. It's the "getting for-real mad about it" part, being really personally invested in making something people can't beat, that I don't get. I'd like to think I'd be impressed if someone found a way to and use that as the basis for something new.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Samuel Clemens posted:

I always just assumed "unbeatable bosses" were intended as community challenges. The player is tasked with figuring out a strategy for a fight that the modder themselves considers to be impossible. The one who succeeds get some fleeting moments of fame in whatever community the mod originated in, and the fight is subsequently updated to require a new approach.

It's not something that would appeal to a broader player base, but then difficulty mods are almost always rather insular affairs. I was actually really surprised by how popular 1.3 got a few years ago, considering it caters to an incredibly small segment of FFT fans.

Let me take you to a dark world where peoples' egos and sense of self-worth are tied to vidya games

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bieeardo posted:

Let me know when someone mods the cavalcade of gently caress-you monsters out of Subnautica. I was interested at one point, but the clamouring tryhards in the Steam forums turned me right off.

There is a mode you can select when you start a game which makes you invincible

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Digirat posted:

There is a mode you can select when you start a game which makes you invincible

That doesn't sound very fun. It reminds me of when I unlocked the damage immunity upgrades in Saints Row 3. I quickly regretted it because it takes any sense of challenge out of everything. I use that save file for entertaining my six year old when he wants to play a silly game.

Wasn't there an upgrade in that game that reduced your physics from an explosion? I may be remembering wrong, but I think an upgrade like that makes things less fun. Upgrades like that should be "You can tweak this element 25/50/75/100%" in either direction. Turn your ragdoll madness to 11 as part of the game itself! Or turn it off if it bores or frustrates you.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

That doesn't sound very fun. It reminds me of when I unlocked the damage immunity upgrades in Saints Row 3. I quickly regretted it because it takes any sense of challenge out of everything. I use that save file for entertaining my six year old when he wants to play a silly game.

Wasn't there an upgrade in that game that reduced your physics from an explosion? I may be remembering wrong, but I think an upgrade like that makes things less fun. Upgrades like that should be "You can tweak this element 25/50/75/100%" in either direction. Turn your ragdoll madness to 11 as part of the game itself! Or turn it off if it bores or frustrates you.

Total non sequitur but is it, uh, a good idea to let a 6 year old play a saints row game? Not even the violence that makes me err but the crassness of all the game's content.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Children playing Saints Row is probably less damaging than binge Youtube. Same about of dildos, though.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

New Concept Hole posted:

Children playing Saints Row is probably less damaging than binge Youtube. Same about of dildos, though.

Good point.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I like mods that introduce complexity and difficulty into the game so long as it's done well. STALKER is a pretty good example of where this can be done right and wrong. AMK increases a lot of randomization and variation to the world to make the player slow down and pay more attention to their situation. Misery makes it so that the player gets sniped from NPCs outside of visible range while they're sorting through menus to sharpen a shovel.

TGLT posted:

Look at the people who think what Oblivion needed was unlevelled regions, or that what an RTS needs is about a billion more resources. Mod stuff is largely amateur gamedev, and part of being amateur is maybe understanding that sometimes a thing is good but not understanding why that was good in that context or how to make that thing work within the game.

Seriously though, I cannot think of one RTS overhaul that wasn't just "here's a billion more bits of fiddly bullshit you have to understand to accomplish what you could in vanilla."

Uh there are loads of RTS mods and overhauls that just add tons of new units or factions or shake up the gameplay without necessarily introducing new mechanics. I have no idea how many hours I put into Homeworld and Total Annihilation mods.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 14, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Total non sequitur but is it, uh, a good idea to let a 6 year old play a saints row game? Not even the violence that makes me err but the crassness of all the game's content.

All he does is run around in cars and crash into things. He doesn't do missions (they are all finished already anyway) or buy things and I don't have items like the dildo in his loadout. But when he wants to play gta because I do, I set him on that so he gets the driving with basically none of the frustration or difficulty.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the pretense of being a hardcore gamer is the sole status symbol they have, despite the fact that no sane person would ever want that label.

Part of it is also feeling like making a game easier in any way cheapens the experience of beating it. So to make the achievement of "I beat this game" a bigger deal it's better to make it harder. That way only a chosen few can claim they've mastered the game. These are also the people that piss and moan about a ton of optional content or a relatively short "main" quest. There are also people that feel the need to beat the player by making something that can't be beaten; hence those that piss and moan if somebody beats the insanely overpowered super ultra mega boss they put in. The person creating that mod wasn't interested in creating a fun experience for others; they only wanted to win. It's all about winning. Nothing else. Just "I must win."

What confuses me the most are those that are all "you're playing this game wrong!" Like who cares? I'm a fan of difficult games myself but I'm not going to judge somebody who wants easier games because it doesn't cheapen the experience. Something like a difficult modifier is great for that; I want to crank that fucker up as high as it goes but it doesn't make my experience less fun if somebody else can turn it down.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

woo boy I remember when I got the bullet immunity upgrade thinking that lasers still did damage. :saddowns:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Digirat posted:

Bieeardo posted:

I too, would enjoy the ability to mod out their upcoming implementation of :pgi: style Ghost Heat. "We made your submarines max speed faster!... It will now catch on fire if you travel at max speed based on a brand new heat mechanic with an invisible meter"

Digirat thought I was making up joke parody patch notes, until he clicked the link I provided to upcoming updates :v:

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there is a lot of room between a mod to make an easy game harder and a mod to make an easy game impossible for everyone who isn't too autistic to function in society.
:eng101:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

What confuses me the most are those that are all "you're playing this game wrong!" Like who cares? I'm a fan of difficult games myself but I'm not going to judge somebody who wants easier games because it doesn't cheapen the experience. Something like a difficult modifier is great for that; I want to crank that fucker up as high as it goes but it doesn't make my experience less fun if somebody else can turn it down.

Mildly related. Brigador tries to fill that whole "Tough But Fair" niche in stompy robots and literal Killdozers :killdozer: They will point out That One Mission in the campaign list is basically meant to be a combo puzzle mission+training vs that enemy type, But the Devs still left in the Dev console so you can go gently caress it, push the god mode/invisibility/etc buttons. Or try to pick through the guts of the visible portions of code GUI to either give yourself ludicrous weapons, or give the ENEMY ludicrous weapons and ramp up their spawn count even higher because you are indeed that good at videogames.

Standard gameplay wise, Freelance mode has a shitload of pilots who are, in fact, your difficulty modifiers. Combined with the fact it's usually easier to stomp through a dystopian cityscape in a big bad mech with huge weaponry, than if you use the luggage cart (But it gets an x10 pay mod if you live!)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 15, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I casually blew through like the entire Subnautica storyline (to that point) in a weekend about a month ago and I didn't even get the plans to build the big submarine completed.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

GunnerJ posted:

And to think that when I noticed there was a separate download for a version which didn't affect the difficulty as much, I thought it was a sign that the creator just wanted people to be able to have more fun with a game he and I both liked. :sigh:

There are a few characters in FFT that are either broken-good or broken-bad; making them balanced against each other could make more choices viable and fun. Or getting rid of bravery-fuckery grinding while doing something else to make it unecessary, that'd be cool.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It's really easy for modders to lose perspective on complexity and difficulty, especially if the game has a lot of invisible stuff going on, stats-wise. Payday 2 is somewhat infamous for this, in that there's basically two playerbases: people who've read the infamous "Long Guide" (~82 thousand words), and people who haven't.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 15, 2017

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

And to think that when I noticed there was a separate download for a version which didn't affect the difficulty as much, I thought it was a sign that the creator just wanted people to be able to have more fun with a game he and I both liked. :sigh:

There are a few characters in FFT that are either broken-good or broken-bad; making them balanced against each other could make more choices viable and fun. Or getting rid of bravery-fuckery grinding while doing something else to make it unecessary, that'd be cool.

That came about as a result of a 1.3 LP. Guy actually came into the thread to argue(I want to say that he even straight up bought an account just to do that), and the goons, after many careful and semi-polite explanations, managed to do what many others had tried and failed to do over the years, which was to convince the guy that people wanted to play around with his additions and modifications without having to get smashed in the face with a hammer repeatedly.

Like, he was apparently* famous for flipping out and ranting whenever someone dared to suggest that maybe he could release a version where you didn't have to perfectly memorize AI patterns just to get past the tutorial fight, and maybe not have every enemy in the game tuned to be 5-10 levels higher than your highest level character, with perfect builds and at least one tier of gear higher than what you'd have access to. And then he'd ban them from his forum.

*It's been years on top of a lot of this being secondhand, accuracy may be off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Discendo Vox posted:

"Long Guide" (~82 thousand words)

what directly the gently caress