Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Sinteres posted:

No, I just think this thread is now doing the same thing it mocks when Republicans do, which is saying he's mentally ill because he's a white guy whose views overlap with yours.

This is my reading of this too and its really frustrating. For all this teeth gnashing about this guy being the loss of the moral high ground its this hypocrisy and lack of conviction that will erode it. Hes a left wing extremist nut. They happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

All I know is the right wing media is gonna be screaming about leftist shooters and the beginning of RaHoWa and some serious poo poo is probably going to go down as a result.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SweeneyABC/status/875023798705291269
https://twitter.com/PeterAlexander/status/875020522752442368
https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/875016610955898883
https://twitter.com/tomlobianco/status/875015336868937728
https://twitter.com/LoopEmma/status/875021494841114625
https://twitter.com/tomlobianco/status/875017856613855233
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/875023639103537153
https://twitter.com/markknoller/status/875025257773633537
https://twitter.com/markfollman/status/875015941037346816
https://twitter.com/politiCOHEN_/status/875026791534125057
https://twitter.com/Carrasquillo/status/875025929273266176
(they will not remember this)

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 14, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Sinteres posted:

Comforting thought, but not true. Mentally healthy people are capable of monstrous behavior, and there's little evidence to suggest terrorists are mentally ill as a group.

For example?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

RottenK posted:

Oh, the shooter died apparently. That's unfortunate, I'd like to hear his excuse for pulling this dumb stunt.

(Insert Tasmanian Devil babbling)

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

ZorajitZorajit posted:

You don't have to believe me, this is the internet after all. But I can assure you of my progressive bona fides. I was an organizer for March for Science St Louis, I've been a donor to Mother Jones, I've worked on Democratic campaigns since I was in high school in 2004.

I work in an environment that every day I expect admonishment and calls for expungement of progessivism from every public sphere. I'm grappling with the guilt that I am party to violence today by being on that team. And "they" win. They win constantly. If my goal is to be moral and affect good for society, I worry that I am going about it wrong.

What are you talking about, for real? What world do you live in where getting shot bestows the moral high ground and having a single bad actor in your midst condemns an entire movement? Does politics have no context for you outside of the immediate narrative?

You are either lying or mentally ill. Seek help if it's the latter.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Pollyanna posted:

All I know is the right wing media is gonna be screaming about leftist shooters and the beginning of RaHoWa and some serious poo poo is probably going to go down as a result.

What an original take.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Lid posted:

This is insulting to what mental illness is and isn't. I'm not even judging this on the grounds of eroding progressiveness, far left extremists always exist and have existed. I'm offended you're basing on the act he was mentally ill. It's such a loose interpretation of mentally ill that would logically mean all murderers are mentally ill.

Please quote the post where I called him mentally ill.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Every military in history?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Fart City posted:

(Insert Tasmanian Devil babbling)

According to? That was what was initially reported, then he was alive, and now?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Chilichimp posted:

Please quote the post where I called him mentally ill.

You're joking.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Lid posted:

This is my reading of this too and its really frustrating. For all this teeth gnashing about this guy being the loss of the moral high ground its this hypocrisy and lack of conviction that will erode it. Hes a left wing extremist nut. They happen.

Fuckin'... for real?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Lid posted:

Legit question: if you punch and punch and the nazis start pulling guns do you cease punching?

I'd pull a gun if need be too.
Question for you. Which one of these Republicans had a gun out to threaten this poor, oppressed democrat prior to him opening fire?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sinteres posted:

Giving them excuses to avoid the people is bad.

They have already made BS up to withdraw and are already withdrawn. Having them pissing into mason jars might be an improvement.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

You don't have to believe me, this is the internet after all. But I can assure you of my progressive bona fides. I was an organizer for March for Science St Louis, I've been a donor to Mother Jones, I've worked on Democratic campaigns since I was in high school in 2004.

I work in an environment that every day I expect admonishment and calls for expungement of progessivism from every public sphere. I'm grappling with the guilt that I am party to violence today by being on that team. And "they" win. They win constantly. If my goal is to be moral and affect good for society, I worry that I am going about it wrong.

Still a nice gimmick. At least half the country is "left" and out of that half one guy since near forever decides to go hunt humans. ONE GUY. Compared to the monsters in power right now trying to kill 100000's or millions of people by taking away their healthcare just so they get some insultingly low kickbacks.

Believe me when I tell you are moral high ground is safe and the people around you are republicans.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Sinteres posted:

Every military in history?

That's an organization, not a person. You can't assess the health of individuals within a group by the sum of their collective actions.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

When you are in a hated group, you start to internalize negative things about yourself. Perhaps you sound like a right-winger posing as a left-winger because you are in a culture so steeped in right-wing things, that you start to believe what they say. Be easier on yourself. Experiencing something like this can be enlightening as to how other minorities feel when one of "their group" does something bad, like a Muslim hearing about an Islamic terror attack.

Political violence is something that affects all sides. Lord knows, there have been plenty of right-wing terrorists. You can't ever move yourself into a blameless, pure group, because there are bad people in every group.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

That's something no House Democrat could do.*

*I think shooting people is bad. I'm just pointing out a fact.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

No Butt Stuff posted:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/james-t-hodgkinson-identified-as-suspect-in-alexandria-shooting/

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Trabisnikof posted:

Murdering for a paycheck: sane
Murdering the powerful who are trying to destroy the world and your life: insane

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

No Butt Stuff posted:

Not quite sure what you're asking, but if you mean the status of the shooter Trump himself confirmed he was dead.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

White=insane

Brown=terrorist

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Paging Prester Jane

https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/875024804897845248

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Fansy posted:

I don't think the other side is going to grasp your definition of acceptable violence

No, but this was in response to a guy claiming D&D was crying for people to go out shooting people

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Fart City posted:

Not quite sure what you're asking, but if you mean the status of the shooter Trump himself confirmed he was dead.

Ah ok, thanks.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Lid posted:

You're joking.

You're replying to me like I'm comparing him to someone with Downs Syndrome, Chronic Depression, or some other diagnosable mental ailment. I'm not doing that and I never did. Concern troll someplace else.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

business hammocks posted:

White=insane

Brown=terrorist

My side of the political spectrum = insane, not at all indicative of any rot on my side
Other side of the political spectrum = sane, calculating killer acting on ideology promoted by people who wanted this to happen

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Hundreds of people in the american public are murdered every loving day and now these law makers are dragged into it.

Welcome to our reality, enjoy your roll in the filth.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

RottenK posted:

Oh, the shooter died apparently. That's unfortunate, I'd like to hear his excuse for pulling this dumb stunt.

Republicans are going to kill 23 million people.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I don't know why people keep attacking PJ for their use of invented terminology. Most of their assessments seem relatively solid. I've seen plenty of academically accepted theoretical models with bigger holes.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Huzanko posted:

You still don't understand how health insurance works, and this is as dumb as the death panel conspiracy theories.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

In my opinion, this confusion we are hashing out among ourselves is indicative of the fact that there is not really such a clear dichotomy between mental health and mental illness, and that at least some of what we call mental illness is socially determined and based on our need to map ethical behavior directly onto psychological state.

Mentally-sound individuals can commit unethical acts, and mentally-ill individuals are perfectly capable of acting ethically and understanding their actions through that lens.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

White=insane

Brown=terrorist

That is the right-wing narrative, yes. You've got your finger on the pulse.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Huzanko posted:

"I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence." - Malcolm X

Don't jerk off to watering the tree of liberty and 2nd amendment rights if you can't roll with the consequences

Florida Ghost
Apr 5, 2011

White=insane

Brown=terrorist

Christian + White = Upstanding citizen, like the Bundy Friends...

Nevermind a little armed insurrection.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Chilichimp posted:

You're replying to me like I'm comparing him to someone with Downs Syndrome, Chronic Depression, or some other diagnosable mental ailment. I'm not doing that and I never did. Concern troll someplace else.

No i'm comparing you to someone who wants to minimise this by saying "he just snapped" which only last week if anyone claimed that the Portland stabber "just snapped" i would be jumping down their throats too. Concern trolling my rear end, have some loving conviction and the very standards we rightly hold to the right wing fuckers who pretend every right wing attack is some guy just snapping or never happened. This is loving aggravating.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

SocketWrench posted:

I openly advocate punching Nazis in the face, but not shooting them as much as they may deserve it
If you can't see a line there, you're an idiot

I can see the line clearly, but I also think that it is totally normal for lots of people to not be able to see it when the GOP is about to gleefully take away their healthcare and condemn them and their loved ones to die, for example. So advocating punching Nazis, and praising those who do, might encourage more extreme violence.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

You still don't understand how health insurance works, and this is as dumb as the death panel conspiracy theories.

23 million people will lose health insurance. Some number of those people are going to die of something preventable because they couldn't afford healthcare.

This is not dumb or a disconnected from reality. All 23 million of them? Yes, that is inaccurate/hyperbolic, but the sentiment is real.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Huzanko posted:

i know that conservatives are evil scum i want to know why the moron decided that making them more popular while making it easier to shut down talk about violence from the far right is going to help

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

CNN breaking news alert is reporting that there's an active shooter situation happening in San Francisco right now, so it looks like we're almost halfway to an American BINGO today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Republicans: if the government infringes on my rights, they can say hello to my AR15

*man shoots up government for infringing on his rights*

Republicans: wtf

• Locked thread