Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So which way does a card that's vault foiled on both sides bend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I want Dominaria to be like 70% Jamuura

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

gif Probst posted:

They'll be the red tribe.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The Shortest Path posted:

Is it actually functional errata if it doesn't change anything? There are zero cards or effects that care about flipping, and the only card that interacts with transforming is Moonmist. Moving a flipped or transformed card between zones reverts it to its un-flipped or un-transformed state in all cases, copying a flipped or transformed card inherits the state the same way, etc.

The only difference is card templating.

It changes how it interacts with clone effects and "create a token that's a copy of" effects. A clone that copies a double-faced card can't transform, but a clone that copies a flip card can flip.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

both :unsmigghh:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

TheKingofSprings posted:

Turns into a möbius strip.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

gif Probst posted:

If only Barrin hadn't turned Tolaria into a funeral pyre.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Rigel posted:

Based on the trailer, it looks like the 3 gods that Bolas removed from the city was a scarab god, a scorpion god, and a locust god

if that beetle god gets a card and doesn't have at least as cool of a hat as the decimator beetle i'm gonna be v upset

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
The most impressive thing about the new un-set is that Maro made it this long keeping it secret without exploding in a burst of enthusiasm. He's been keeping it under wraps for ages on Blogatog, and it's a pretty common question that he was getting.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/cubeapril/status/875037352393146368

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

The most impressive thing about the new un-set is that Maro made it this long keeping it secret without exploding in a burst of enthusiasm. He's been keeping it under wraps for ages on Blogatog, and it's a pretty common question that he was getting.

quote:

chick3nfist asked: OH MY GOD ARE YOU OKAY

That I didn’t burst before today is a miracle. I started Unstable design before we even knew for sure it was getting made. I started early in 2011. From start to it coming out will be almost seven years!

I had to play dumb for the entire length of Blogatog existing. Every time someone asked about it, and you guys ask about it constantly, I had to act as if it wasn’t happening.

Yes, the fact that I made it today without collapsing or just screaming on this blog about it is pretty remarkable. : )

holy poo poo maro

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

holy poo poo maro

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
God bless that tiny excitable man

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Tales of Woe posted:

From the info we have so far I would guess that Iconic Masters is more of a casual-focused set whereas Masters 25 is more like an Eternal/Modern masters set.

From the announcement video, "25 years of Magic, stuff from every single set"

I uh, have no idea what that Limited format will be like.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

mossyfisk posted:

From the announcement video, "25 years of Magic, stuff from every single set"

I uh, have no idea what that Limited format will be like.

Glorious!

(or a complete disaster. But let's be optimistic for a change!)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It wouldn't be that hard to have a single card from each set, assuming some have to be common draft fodder anyway.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

whydirt posted:

It wouldn't be that hard to have a single card from each set, assuming some have to be common draft fodder anyway.

Yeah, you can easily find 2-3 cards in every set that would be printable.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Even poo poo sets have something like serrated arrows.

Also I hope Dominaria involves the chunk that is phased out returning. One minute phyrexian invasion the next OH GOD gently caress SLIVERS. Then in 2019 Phyrexia invades again.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Alaan posted:

Also I hope Dominaria involves the chunk that is phased out returning. One minute phyrexian invasion the next OH GOD gently caress SLIVERS. Then in 2019 Phyrexia invades again.

Slivers v. Phyrexia.

Cue LetThemFight.gif

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Alaan posted:

And then we get Phyrexian Slivers and everything dies.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

And then we get Phyrexian Slivers and everything dies. everything lives as one perfect eternal union.

FTFY

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Alaan posted:

Homelands can contribute a few cards--it's got Memory Lapse and Merchant Scroll and maybe Ihsan's Shade just for cool factor

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Maro said that if this set sells poorly, then there will not be any more un-sets. I'm hoping that they are reasonable in how many boxes they expect/hope to sell.

Also, given how far in the future they work, even if it does sell well by the time they see that and green-light un-4 it'll be at least 3 or 4 more years.

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/161822163953/how-many-boxes-of-unstable-do-i-need-to-buy-to#notes

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Rigel posted:

Maro said that if this set sells poorly, then there will not be any more un-sets. I'm hoping that they are reasonable in how many boxes they expect/hope to sell.

Also, given how far in the future they work, even if it does sell well by the time they see that and green-light un-4 it'll be at least 3 or 4 more years.

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/161822163953/how-many-boxes-of-unstable-do-i-need-to-buy-to#notes

The Un sets have traditionally sold badly so I can only imagine how much effort Maro had to put in to convince corporate to sign off on a third. But there's never been a wider audience for Magic then there is now so if any Un set can be commercially viable, it'll be this one.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I haven't had a ton of experience with un-cards but what I've had convinced me that they are fun to read once and then miserable to play with

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah the problem with novelty sets sales wise is that they don't really have chase cards by definition, so no one's cracking boxes looking for Jace or whatever. And the draft environment will probably be something where the novelty wears off fairly quickly. I hope they aren't expecting it to sell like a regular set.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

cheetah7071 posted:

I haven't had a ton of experience with un-cards but what I've had convinced me that they are fun to read once and then miserable to play with

Yeah there were maybe a dozen Un-set cards/concepts I thought were legit fun ideas in-game (Ashnod's Coupon, Booster Tutor, Denimwalk, Look at me, I'm the DCI), a few things that were cute that I'd never actually do (Chaos Confetti, Blacker Lotus), and a bunch of poo poo that just wasn't fun to play with

e: Also gently caress the notion of Mythic Un-set cards, which is definitely going to happen

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

cheetah7071 posted:

Hopefully they've learned since the last one, but I don't expect it to be something people actually want to draft more ham once or twice once they've heard all the jokes.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The chase cards in an Un-set would be full art lands, but they'll use that crappy template they started using in Zendikar.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I think it should ideally be somewhere between conspiracy and previous Unsets

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah there were maybe a dozen Un-set cards/concepts I thought were legit fun ideas in-game (Ashnod's Coupon, Booster Tutor, Denimwalk, Look at me, I'm the DCI), a few things that were cute that I'd never actually do (Chaos Confetti, Blacker Lotus), and a bunch of poo poo that just wasn't fun to play with

Blacker Lotus / Chcaos Confetti is just a terrible idea for a set that's supposed to be fun and casual if you know anything about Magic players, and Gotcha was a terrible idea for a mechanic. The first two un sets were basically designed jokes-down with no thought for whether they'd actually be fun to play.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Was Magic as popular of a game vs. now when the first "Un's" came out

I would assume it would sell decent with the game currently being as popular as it is.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

80s James Hetfield posted:

I would assume it would sell decent with the game currently being as popular as it is.

I think the real issue is people won't buy cases of un-sets looking for lotto tickets. This is a thing that happens with "normal" sets.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Tough to say. Magic has more serious competitors now, but a much bigger player base.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

As popular as the game was way back then, the game has exploded since then. If they can't sell un3 with the popularity and the years of hype and anticipation among the unknown (probably small) number of un-fans, then the product is simply not viable.

One thing that could help is that Maro promised they designed it to be fun to draft, while previously they didn't put much thought into limited and were more focused on jokes, so I guess we'll see. As a limited-only player I don't give a drat if its not legal in any other format, if the limited environment is fun, then I'll play it.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Apparently the vanilla mythic that Maro's been hinting at for a while now is in Unstable. What are the odds that it's a creature with a bunch of abilities, the last of which is 'CARDNAME is vanilla'?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

SoftNum posted:

I think the real issue is people won't buy cases of un-sets looking for lotto tickets. This is a thing that happens with "normal" sets.

Also true.

While I have a mostly passing interest in a new Un-set (cards like Booster Tutor are amazing in Cube), I usually find myself wondering who the target audience for them is supposed to be, and I usually come to the conclusion that it's the kind of people who cracked monty python jokes on the regular when I was in high school/the people who constantly quote memes now

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Cards Against Humanity players, obviously.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
...yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

They're going to do some sort of expedition type cards to keep people cracking packs. Book it