Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

the_steve posted:

(outside of a Persona game at least)

VanSandman posted:

Also, Nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

the_steve posted:

And Fenrir didn't even do anything wrong. He just freaked out the gods because of how quickly and how big he was growing, and they were afraid he'd turn against them.
The irony being that he had no intention of doing so until they tricked him into being bound and abandoned.

Really, as much as I love Norse mythology, the Norse gods were loving dicks a lot of the time.

The Norse gods really had a rough deal. They all knew they were going to die, and the idea was to just party and prepare so that they can win the battle and leave the world to the humans. If that meant doing some dickish stuff for the fate of the world, so be it. Don't forget, Odin was also fully willing to give up EVERYTHING for the cause, including 9 days of death and his own drat eye.

The problem is that the gods were fallible. For example, Odin made Loki, a goddamn frost giant (the mortal enemies of the gods) into his blood-brother cuz he thought he was a smart guy. This meant that nobody could touch the biggest rear end in a top hat in the 9 worlds until he crossed the line and murdered the god of kindness out of jealousy. Hey rear end in a top hat, maybe people would like you too if you weren't such an rear end in a top hat you rear end in a top hat,.

Loki and Odin are just such great characters in general. Thor just gets all the attention because he does all the smashing. Also, the buddy-cop adventures of Loki and Thor are hilarious.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Thor just gets all the attention because he does all the smashing. Also, the buddy-cop adventures of Loki and Thor are hilarious.

My favourite Thor and Loki story is the one where Thor gets beat up by an old lady to learn some humility.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

or how despite being Loki the shapeshifter, it's Thor the big giant burly bearded ginger is the one who dressed as a bride to get his hammer back, and actually fooled the would be groom.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Ilor posted:

No, Fenrir is gonna do for Odin. Thor's end is Jormungandr.

OH yeaaaaah

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

MadDogMike posted:

Honestly, I'm hard pressed to think of many (if any) ancient gods who were NOT dicks at least some of the time. At best they (theoretically) occasionally reward the virtuous, especially for hospitality, but more often it seems like the main reason to worship them was so they didn't kill you or worse, and they love to latch onto random people and drag them into trouble anyway. Granted, they were representative of nature and nature as a thing pretty much randomly out to get you makes sense as a viewpoint back then.

I like reading the myths from pretty much any ancient pantheon (I think the only one I have looked into too deeply is the Egyptian one), and pretty much the only example I've found that fits the "not being a dick" criteria was Quetzalcoatl, from the Aztecs/Mexica. Pretty much the worst thing he did was get into a fight with his brother Tezcatlipoca, and in his defense, Tez started it.

Really though, I don't recall ever reading or hearing about a story or myth of Quetzalcoatl ever actually doing anything willfully malicious toward humanity.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Prometheus was a pretty cool guy, too bad his brother kept loving things up.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Tunicate posted:

Prometheus was a pretty cool guy, too bad his brother kept loving things up.

From whose perspective? He stole fire and taught humanity to trick the gods.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
From the perspective of the (presumable) humans in this thread.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Because every name not being listed in this thread was treating them like playthings. Yeah, Zeus thought he was an rear end in a top hat, but Zeus also slept with women while in the shape of animals.

So, you know, not a totally unbiased opinion.

Emy posted:

From the perspective of the (presumable) humans in this thread.
Yes, I agree, fellow hu-man. Let us go breathe oxygen and consume plant and animal matter in a recreational fashion.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 12, 2017

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Meatbag Esq. posted:

he gave us Fire and metal working because he knew the gods were petty assholes.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Robindaybird posted:

or how despite being Loki the shapeshifter, it's Thor the big giant burly bearded ginger is the one who dressed as a bride to get his hammer back, and actually fooled the would be groom.

drat, that trope goes back a long time.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

drat, that trope goes back a long time.

not just as any bride, but Freyja the Goddess of love, beauty, sex and as well as war and death.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 13, 2017

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Robindaybird posted:

not just as any bride, but Freyja the Goddess of love, beauty, and as well as war and death.

To be fair, every Norse god was in some way related to war and death, so that's not really something she could put in her resume.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

To be fair, every Norse god was in some way related to war and death, so that's not really something she could put in her resume.
It's the "computer skills" of the norse pantheon.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Carebearz posted:

not only can they die, but they pretty much know exactly when, and who is going to kill them if I remember Ragnarok correctly.
"Auto-erotic asphyxiation, hell of a way to go..."

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The problem is that the gods were fallible. For example, Odin made Loki, a goddamn frost giant (the mortal enemies of the gods) into his blood-brother cuz he thought he was a smart guy. This meant that nobody could touch the biggest rear end in a top hat in the 9 worlds until he crossed the line and murdered the god of kindness out of jealousy. Hey rear end in a top hat, maybe people would like you too if you weren't such an rear end in a top hat you rear end in a top hat,.

Loki gets a bad rap. Yeah, he kills Baldur, the softest kindest prettyboy in the pantheon who was almost certainly going to get hosed UP come ragnarok. So instead, Baldur takes a little vacation, plays tafl with Hel for a while, and after the Ragnarok he gets to live again and preside over a new era free of the war and strife that plagued the world before.

But sure, jealousy.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
So in comic books, the silver age was weird.
Especially in Masks: a new generation, which runs with the premise that Silver agers didn't evolve as much is get replaced by newer heroes and villains.

I'm playing Naryatti Narang, formerly Callback!, the former sidekick of Silver age legend Punchline. Ever since he was diagnosed with cancer, she's taken over his mantle, which includes his parallel universe sidekick/daughter, costume (the techcedo) and his frankly elderly rogues gallery.

Being a teenager, Narr (now known as Punchup!) decided to handle everything at once.

It was evening in Marathon City.
Mother Hen was robbing Eastern seaboard bank. Narr stepped in, along with her sidekick Gigglepuss, to stop her...and chat.

See, part of being a sidekick was being "kidnapped" to learn the villains plan and assuage the egos of all boomers involved. Since almost all of the villains were semi retired and grandparents, Mother Hen used this opportunity to ask about school.

Upon seeing that 2 of the 6 henchmen were carrying dangerous weapons, Naryatti changed the subject.
They chatted for a few moments, and were able to come to agreement where Narr would stop the ‘bad eggs’ and let Mother Hen go, so she could save face. After that, they’d catch up at her ‘hide out’ and reclaim the money. While there, Narr was ‘captured’ and again chatted with Mother Hen (who offered her cookies!) before Gigglepuss stepped in to ‘rescue’ Narr and save the day.

Before being taken to jail MH gave her arrival a birthday present, explaining that she had been upstate and unable to attend the party.

It was a plush egg with fuzzy chicken feet coming out the bottom.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

CannonFodder posted:

"Auto-erotic asphyxiation, hell of a way to go..."

I could talk about this until I'm blue in the face.

The new Tom Cruise Mummy movie opens with the line "Set was the Egyptian God of Death." My poor wife had to sit there for two hours as every time they mentioned that Set was the God of Death I kept mumbling to myself over and over again, "that's a funny loving way to spell 'Anubis.'"

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

CobiWann posted:

I could talk about this until I'm blue in the face.

The new Tom Cruise Mummy movie opens with the line "Set was the Egyptian God of Death." My poor wife had to sit there for two hours as every time they mentioned that Set was the God of Death I kept mumbling to myself over and over again, "that's a funny loving way to spell 'Anubis.'"

What was Set the god of before Hollywood got a hold of him?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Chaos, War, Storms, and Deserts.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

berenzen posted:

Chaos, War, Storms, and Deserts.

That's a funny way to spell 'god of cutting off your brother's penis'. :colbert:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Also foreigners and outsiders. Possibly a mythic representation of the conflict between the delta/fertile Lower Kingdom and the more desert-dominated Upper Kingdom. I seem to recall the emphasis on Set's conflict with Horus in myth gained more prominence after Egypt spent some time conquered by foreigners.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

HotCanadianChick posted:

That's a funny way to spell 'god of cutting off your brother's penis'. :colbert:

and god of 'attempting to rape your nephew but ends up eating his semen instead'

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Robindaybird posted:

and god of 'attempting to rape your nephew but ends up eating his semen instead'

I've been watching you guys talk about all these different gods, vaguely aware of each of them (from Deities and Demigods no less) but this is the post that sends me to google.

:negative:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Agrikk posted:

I've been watching you guys talk about all these different gods, vaguely aware of each of them (from Deities and Demigods no less) but this is the post that sends me to google.

:negative:

Who says Ancient Egyptians didn't have a sense of humor?

quote:

A further famous story about same-sex intercourse can be found in Papyrus Illahun, dating back to the Middle Kingdom. It contains the nearly completely preserved story of the Osiris myth and the legendary fight for the throne of Egypt between Horus and Seth. The chapter in question reports that Seth was unutterably jealous about his young nephew Horus, because Horus was very young and popular. He was quite pampered by the other gods. Seth instead had very few companions and he was comparatively unpopular because of his choleric and vindictive behaviour. As a result, Seth tried to either chase away or even kill Horus, no matter what the cost. When Seth constantly fails, he plans to humiliate his rival so badly that Horus would be banned from Egypt forever. Seth invites Horus to a party and convinces the teenage Horus to drink more than Horus could normally cope with. When Horus is drunk, Seth seduces him to sleep over the night in one bed together. When lying together in one bed, Seth grabs Horus and rapes him. But Horus has tricked Seth; his drunkenness was staged. He catches Seth's semen with his hands and hides it. Next morning, Horus runs to his Mother, Isis, to tell her what happened. Isis is first speechless with rage and disbelief. Then she decides to return the like on Seth: she cuts off Horus' hand and then masturbates him, using his semen to lubricate Seth's favorite food (Egyptian lettuce). Totally clueless, Seth eats the manipulated lettuce, then he goes to the divine court to inform on Horus. At first, the divine judges swear at Horus, but when Thoth, the scribe of the court, calls for Seth's semen to emerge from the body of Horus, instead the semen of Horus emerges from of the body of Seth in the form of a lunar disk, which Thoth appropriates and crowns himself with. Seth blushes in embarrassment and shock, then flees. Horus is acquitted.

Make sure you're still imagining Horus as a man with a falcon's head.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

HotCanadianChick posted:

I thought he completely dismembered him.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Bieeardo posted:

I thought he completely dismembered him.

yep, including his penis, some versions Isis couldn't find the dick so she had to make a new one.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Horus go on Cum Town

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

chitoryu12 posted:

Who says Ancient Egyptians didn't have a sense of humor?

Make sure you're still imagining Horus as a man with a falcon's head.

Da fuk I just read?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Mythology!

Also note Thoth would either be an Ibis or Baboon, and Set's head is some kind of beast no one can agree on what it is - jackals, giraffes, aardvark, African wild dogs, and antelopes had all been suggested as to what the Set Animal is.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Robindaybird posted:

Also note Thoth would either be an Ibis or Baboon, and Set's head is some kind of beast no one can agree on what it is - jackals, giraffes, aardvark, African wild dogs, and antelopes had all been suggested as to what the Set Animal is.

Set was a god for several millenia, he might've shifted.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and that's not even getting into the theory that the Set Animal is a species that has gone extinct sometime between the fall of Egypt and the Victorian era.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Haven't been to the thread in a while and am a little surprised to come back to this.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

DicktheCat posted:

Haven't been to the thread in a while and am a little surprised to come back to this.

Well, if you think about it and do some mental stretches, old mythological tales do read like some pretty insane campaign stories.

Zeus: I roll to seduce.
DM: What the gently caress? It's a beehive.
Zeus: Fiiine. I cast Polymorph on myself to turn into a sexy potted plant. Now can I roll to seduce?

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

the_steve posted:

Well, if you think about it and do some mental stretches, old mythological tales do read like some pretty insane campaign stories.

Sun Wukong's player was the craziest powergamer to ever min/max and completely hijacked the campaign.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

the_steve posted:

Zeus: Fiiine. I cast Polymorph on myself to turn into a sexy potted plant. Now can I roll to seduce?

Do you want loving bees? Because that's how you get loving bees.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

the_steve posted:

DM: Dude, you're polymorphed into a swan right now.
Zeus: Don't care! I'm a sexy swan, gonna roll it. Hah! Nat 20!
DM: Goddammit. Fine, you seduce her and now she's loving a swan.
Zeus: Roll to see if she gets pregnant!
DM: Jesus Christ.
Zeus: He's not born yet, but maybe today's the day he's conceived! Roll iiiiiiiiiiiiit

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
We're all joking, but we know this has happened somewhere in a RPG game at least once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Baldur's the guy who pumped up the material weakness drawback as far as the rules allowed so he can be maximum party face and is surprised that it actually got used against him