Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the fights are gorgeous, but i think my favorite aspect is that gang ryong is incredibly conflicted about his life. there doesn't seem to be any room in the world for martial artists who aren't murderous scumbags, so where does a fundamentally decent person who is also ridiculously strong fit in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's neat that because Gang Ryong is so strong, a fair number of arcs explore the people he encounters, and that it delves into their stories, thoughts, motivations, and whatnot. And it's not even always about just fighting, like the first few chapters of the Baekmagok arc, where it's just two dudes going around and selling stuff.

All of that stuff is really neat.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
If you're enjoying Gosu, you should check out Yongni the Invincible! It's still being translated but it does takes place in the same world a couple generations before Gosu is set. It's definitely of the same quality and it's a lot of fun

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I checked out gosu and jeez the power scale kind of skyrockets at this valley arc 20 odd chapters in :stare:

I'm not complaining, mind you, I just thought this was about punchmans and was slightly surprised by summoning tsunamis and absorbing the life force of opponents.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Do we post Chinese Manhua and webtoons here too? Because I have super been enjoying Tianxia Diji as of late. The art is a little simplified and sketchy but you can really tell that the artist really knows what they're doing - just look at the way they use camera angles and framing. Pure comic art talent. It features the second strongest fighter in the land, a young woman who kinda looks like an older Shimakaze from Kancolle, who beats every challenger for the title in a single panel. One day she meets a certain cafe owner and begins a curious rivalry!

I like the humor, the writing is tight and well-paced, and the art is really clear, graceful and easy to read.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wrist Watch posted:

I checked out gosu and jeez the power scale kind of skyrockets at this valley arc 20 odd chapters in :stare:

I'm not complaining, mind you, I just thought this was about punchmans and was slightly surprised by summoning tsunamis and absorbing the life force of opponents.

The power levels of the opponents vary, but Gang Ryong's power remains pretty much the same throughout the arcs.

The dude is mad powerful.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I dunno about posting manhua here, but just in case, Feng Shen Ji is the poo poo.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Gologle posted:

Feng Shen Ji is the poo poo.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I REALLY want to enjoy Hive, it seems super fun and interesting, but giant insects are far more unsettling than zombies or ghosts or pretty much anything else to me. It's more horrifying to me than actual horror comics/mangas/manhwas.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
how far did you get? because later on there are grotesque insect/human hybrids that were too gross for me to handle.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

how far did you get? because later on there are grotesque insect/human hybrids that were too gross for me to handle.

I got up to the part where he reunites with his wife sort of in the military encampment, but then the encampment is attacked (I think that's the first time the wasps use bombs) and they get separated. That's pretty much as far as I got. Not far at all, i know, but still.

Wish I didn't have such a drat hangup with bugs; it seems really fun otherwise.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

khy posted:

I got up to the part where he reunites with his wife sort of in the military encampment, but then the encampment is attacked (I think that's the first time the wasps use bombs) and they get separated. That's pretty much as far as I got. Not far at all, i know, but still.

Wish I didn't have such a drat hangup with bugs; it seems really fun otherwise.

well, i have a hangup with body horror. why force yourself to read something that makes you uncomfortable, though?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

khy posted:

I got up to the part where he reunites with his wife sort of in the military encampment, but then the encampment is attacked (I think that's the first time the wasps use bombs) and they get separated.
that's where I stopped too, but more because I was exasperated at that twist than anything else.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hive feels like it's going to end soon.

EDIT: I was literally entering the thread to make this post and it turns out that y'all were already talking about Hive.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sindai posted:

that's where I stopped too, but more because I was exasperated at that twist than anything else.

I kept going a little further but gave up on it after another very similar twist for the same reason.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sindai posted:

The exact same thing happens again later (where he finds his wife and then she's separated from him again). Though at least he gets his daughter.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ytlaya posted:

The exact same thing happens again later (where he finds his wife and then she's separated from him again). Though at least he gets his daughter.

I assume you're not up to date?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

the sound effect is for Maduke's butthole

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 21, 2017

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

I love Frankenstein.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thanks to whoever recommended Gosu in here. poo poo's rad as hell and by the 5-6th chapter the artwork starts getting nuts.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's a real shame that only Rai and Ryu the Vampire Lord are grasping how awesome Frankenstein is here.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hate-Senpai posted:

I assume you're not up to date?

Nope, still catching up. His wife was just grabbed and taken away by a giant uber-wasp and she's maybe also a queen or something?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Gosu is great. But there are apparently major spoilers for Yongbi, a prequel manga that Gosu is a spin-off of that takes place in the past that is only halfway translated and isn't up to the part where the spoilers in Gosu matter.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ytlaya posted:

Nope, still catching up. His wife was just grabbed and taken away by a giant uber-wasp and she's maybe also a queen or something?

The daughter gets kidnapped yet again.

That said, I firmly believe the webtoon has entered its final arc, and that it should probably be over in the next 3 or 4 months unless it goes beyond the protagonist being reunited with his family, cause who knows what the old man might do.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

SID is probably my favorite one right now after Noblesse, I really love the supernatural police procedural thing.

That sounds interesting, whats it called
or is that the actual name

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I assume it's this.

http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/sid/list?title_no=497

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
yeah it's that one

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i dont know if i should feel silly or not

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean if someone told me there was a manga called SID I'd have to pause for a second and wonder if it stood for something myself.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hate-Senpai posted:

The daughter gets kidnapped yet again.

That said, I firmly believe the webtoon has entered its final arc, and that it should probably be over in the next 3 or 4 months unless it goes beyond the protagonist being reunited with his family, cause who knows what the old man might do.

The old man is definitely up to no good, IMO. Lots of people in the comments section in denial about this though.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nanohana Boys has been pretty good so far. Ngl I was hoping for a little shounen ai but it's just two guys being good friends (like for real not "friends"). POV guy was a delinquent turd and got in an accident, ending up w/some lingering disability. He returns to school to repeat his final year and makes friends with a deaf guy who has an incredibly lovely life.

The abuse drama is pretty heavy-handed and I'd like to see the lead guy a little more inconvenienced since most of the time it's like his disability is a complete non-issue except when the comic occasionally reminds the reader btw he's got problems too, which makes them seem a lot less serious than they were made out to be at the start, although I think mostly it's used to give him some perspective since otherwise he'd be kind of a dense butthead lol. Overall though I'm interested in seeing how things turn out. I don't think it's terribly long and is getting regular updates so it may be a good one to binge through once it's all translated.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
FYI Lezhin is having some sort of "coin back" event where if you spend coins on certain titles you'll get those coins returned after the event is over. It looks like most of the options are completed comics so it might be a good opportunity to unlock them. I'm not super familiar with all of their catalog but in general the art quality looks way higher than the freebie stuff.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
There're some good lesbian comics at Lezhin. Haven't taken much of a look at the m/m stuff because my budget only stretches so far, and that isn't my primary interest. They also have m/f stuff if you're into that, I suppose.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I've been kind of reading UnOrdinary. I liked it at first but I have this weird feeling it'll go downhill when the main character finally shows that he really does have powers after all.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shugojin posted:

I've been kind of reading UnOrdinary. I liked it at first but I have this weird feeling it'll go downhill when the main character finally shows that he really does have powers after all.

My feeling about unOrdinary is that it's nothing special, but that it's still pretty impressive for something written by an amateur simply by virtue of the fact that it manages to keep my interest.

It is written by an English speaker (probably American) by the way, in case you didn't know. Quite a few things on webtoons are written by Americans, which I think is a kind of good business idea on the part of Naver (that is, also trying to adopt and include material produced outside of Korea).

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
The Star Wars comic they have on there isn't too shabby.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Shugojin posted:

The end of the latest chapter was a huge wtf moment but then I remembered everyone in this world is a huge rear end in a top hat. So I hope MC finally snaps and just grinds everyone to dust.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Unordinary's world is like some bizarre version of the My Hero Academia world where everyone is not only allowed, but encouraged to constantly fight using their quirks and dominate those weaker than them.

It is a wonder their society functions at all.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh, I just noticed that a webtoon I binged in Daum was being translated into English.

Lovable Bok-hui-ssi is a nice romantic story about a bunch of people in university. The MC is a bit whiny in the earlier chapters, but he gets a lot better, and it's interesting watching the friendships and romances develop.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Sarang-Seureoun-Bokhee-ssi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Season 1 of Nanohana Boys is complete, looks like the second season is from the other guy's POV so that's interesting.