Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Virtue posted:

Email chat!

Since a recent update Spark has been really slow for me. What's the current goon approved email client? I'd like something with smart sorting and bulk archive/read functionality.

The Outlook interface is slick but I don't see any way to get more granular than focused vs other. Is there any way to bulk archive or mark as read? Every morning I get ~50 "alert" emails I have to sift through and only read a handful of them. Spark let me bulk archive the unread ones after I was done.

I wonder what happened recently that made it so drat slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Virtue posted:

The Outlook interface is slick but I don't see any way to get more granular than focused vs other. Is there any way to bulk archive or mark as read? Every morning I get ~50 "alert" emails I have to sift through and only read a handful of them. Spark let me bulk archive the unread ones after I was done.

I wonder what happened recently that made it so drat slow.

I'm wondering if it is related to their addition of "drag/drop" between Readdle apps on the ipad, if that had an effect.

I've also noticed it is really slow and am switching back over to outlook for now.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Been testing out Outlook with my work email account (exchange server) and it's really great. I might move to it for personal emails too.

I like the swipe to mark as read and archive feature the most cause I hate having unread emails in my archive, but I don't need or want to actually open up all my e.g. Amazon Package has shipped emails. Unless there's a way to do this in the default mail client.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Boris Galerkin posted:

Been testing out Outlook with my work email account (exchange server) and it's really great. I might move to it for personal emails too.

I like the swipe to mark as read and archive feature the most cause I hate having unread emails in my archive, but I don't need or want to actually open up all my e.g. Amazon Package has shipped emails. Unless there's a way to do this in the default mail client.
Doesn't swiping an email to the right mark as read in the default client?

I've started trying Gmail for no particular reason and swiping in either direction archives the email. Am I missing something or is there a quick "mark as read" option?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Mail.app does the swipe to archive/mark as read thing, but I notice sometimes the archived emails don't get auto-read so I have the compulsion to dig them out and "read" them so that horrible notification goes away :ohdear:

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Does Outlook allow VIP notifications for e-mail senders, like Mail.app?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

BoyBlunder posted:

Does Outlook allow VIP notifications for e-mail senders, like Mail.app?

it has Focused Inbox, which uses machine learning or something to intelligently sort your mail.

re: mail apps: Astro is really, really good, and if you're using Gmail or Office365 you should definitely give it a try. It's the first 3rd party app I've found that I can actually rely on to notify me without breaking horribly or loving up IMAP folders or something--and it has a macOS app.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm looking for an iPad app for taking notes/sketches that allows you to scroll in any direction, basically an infinite canvas. Does anyone know if there are any good ones out there? I used to use one back in 2014 but it's gone off the store and I lost the .ipa. Explicit Pencil support would be a plus.

The New York Times
Mar 2, 2013

Call
1-800-NYTIMES for FREE home delivery
Is there something like Tunnelbear that would let me specify where in the country I appear to be?

I need to log in from a particular state.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
My vpn does that.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
The problem is that most phone apps are going to pull from geolocation data and not locate via IP.

There was a jailbreak solution, and if you're looking to unblock content a dns unblocked at the router level might work, but I don't think a vpn alone will do what you're wanting on iOS.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I don't think he mentioned anything about needing it for an app though so he's probably talking about websites.

Yeah some websites literally don't let you log in if you aren't in the proper country. I had an issue a couple years ago where I couldn't log onto my hospital's website to pay a bill cause I was on abroad on vacation. It's stupid.

The New York Times
Mar 2, 2013

Call
1-800-NYTIMES for FREE home delivery

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don't think he mentioned anything about needing it for an app though so he's probably talking about websites.

Yeah sorry I wasn't more specific. I need to log into a site from a particular state. I might be able to do a remote desktop which would solve the problem but if I could do it straight from my phone it would be best.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Any recommendations on travel apps with the most accurate/constant updating of flight info?

Using each carrier's app is fine for a boarding pass, then delete after trip but its more for picking people up from the airport, as to when to leave, etc.

I used to rely on FlightTrack Pro, but it seems like its been abandoned at the 32bit level, and the other 2, Kayak and TripIt, are not reliable nor frequently update with delays or flight changes midair.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

The New York Times posted:

Yeah sorry I wasn't more specific. I need to log into a site from a particular state. I might be able to do a remote desktop which would solve the problem but if I could do it straight from my phone it would be best.

i just run an openvpn server on a raspi at home and use the openvpn app, works dandy

vpn services in general should be able to do that from your phone

Optikalusion
Feb 21, 2007
The better you look the more you see

EconOutlines posted:

Any recommendations on travel apps with the most accurate/constant updating of flight info?

Using each carrier's app is fine for a boarding pass, then delete after trip but its more for picking people up from the airport, as to when to leave, etc.

I used to rely on FlightTrack Pro, but it seems like its been abandoned at the 32bit level, and the other 2, Kayak and TripIt, are not reliable nor frequently update with delays or flight changes midair.

Best one I've found is AppintheAir, seems to get gate info and delays faster than the rest.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I just recently remembered at the ios10 presentation they mentioned adding the ability to add spam detectors for phone calls. Anyone know of such an app that works well in the US?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I just recently remembered at the ios10 presentation they mentioned adding the ability to add spam detectors for phone calls. Anyone know of such an app that works well in the US?
I use True Caller.

It works well, I just wish it updated it's database automatically. Instead, I just try to remember to open the app and update every once in a while.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Thanks. Does it work without giving it access to your contacts?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Thanks. Does it work without giving it access to your contacts?
Yes

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

If you have T-Mobile, they have their own free service to block spam calls.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

The New York Times posted:

Just posting to say I adore your name and av. Nicely done.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hiya is good and updates the database automatically.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

If you have T-Mobile, they have their own free service to block spam calls.

Thanks for mentioning this. I have T-Mobile and wasn't aware of this feature. Details: https://9to5mac.com/2017/03/24/how-to-block-scam-calls-iphone-t-mobile/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I need this so bad, but MetroPCS' version specifically excludes iPhones.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I'm thinking about switching from my paid 1Password to their new subscription model cause I see that that version has a web version and my primary OS these days is Linux.

Has anyone else made the switch and regret it? Do I lose my paid license if I switch or can I just decide I don't like the subscription model and just keep using the paid off app?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
The paid app, 1Password 4 isn't being supported any longer.

People seem to like the subscription model. I think there's even a free trial.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
it's good i like it

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

What's a good voice recorder app for iPad? Preferably something that supports split view so I can record while typing in another app.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm thinking about switching from my paid 1Password to their new subscription model cause I see that that version has a web version and my primary OS these days is Linux.

Has anyone else made the switch and regret it? Do I lose my paid license if I switch or can I just decide I don't like the subscription model and just keep using the paid off app?

No regrets. Windows app is light years ahead of the 1P4 one. The sync is flawless (using with two Win10, one Mac, one iPad, one iPhone, and have used on android too).

The rest of the apps in this space just aren't even close.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Anyone here have experience with Splashtop or something similar for Gwent? Considering getting an iPad and it would be a big bonus if that worked too

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Optikalusion posted:

Best one I've found is AppintheAir, seems to get gate info and delays faster than the rest.

Thanks! Not liking the subscription model but I'll try the free version for now and see how it works. Looks very polished to say the least.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Anyone here have experience with Splashtop or something similar for Gwent? Considering getting an iPad and it would be a big bonus if that worked too

I haven't played Gwent, but back in the day before Hearthstone released their IOS client, everyone was using Splashtop for it so I can't see why not.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

I feel like Screens was better than Splashtop when I tried them out, but I haven't either in a while because I realized I could just use SSH for what I was doing with them.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

What''s everyone's preferred Adblock? I only am tired of them on Chrome and YouTube specifically. I saw 1Block mentioned a few pages ago but wanted to see some more recent options and what ads get blocked (browser only, apps, YouTube, etc). Thanks :cheers:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

OS-level adblockers can only block ads in Safari and Safariviews.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Chrome on iOS :nexus:

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I just realised today that I still use Google calendars for everything, I guess just because it's been habit despite now being completely in the Apple ecosystem. Do you goons just use iCloud calendars?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm balls deep in the Apple ecosystem, so yeah. I mean, they both work fine so whatever tickles your pickle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I would use iCloud calendars but I still sometimes use a PC and web browser to manage some of that stuff and icloud.com is super slow and garbage compared to Google's web-based services.