Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Google Butt posted:

Does anyone have the info graphic that shows the time spent creating the ACA vs the AHCA and other differences?

https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/874694617656111108

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Is it normal for hospitals to just straight up tweet out how their patients are doing? I get this is newsworthy but always thought there was a layer of health privacy expected.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

What's the absolute worst position. Trump will take because he is going to take that one.

In fact I say by this time tomorrow we have a tweet decrying the violent liberal.left and fake news.

Im gonna predict more than one journalist is going to be injured/shot in the next three months.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

This doesn't tally at all with what MSNBC was saying earlier--that he was in stable condition and in good spirits.
"Stably critical" is a totally possible state, because "critical" can mean multiple things and "stable" doesn't mean what a lot of people use it as. Dead people are stable.

e:

Hobo Clown posted:

Is it normal for hospitals to just straight up tweet out how their patients are doing? I get this is newsworthy but always thought there was a layer of health privacy expected.
They would have needed permission to do so.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Two of the Turkish guys beating people up on video have been arrested:

https://twitter.com/robbiegramer/status/875052619881992192

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

marshmonkey posted:

Two of the Turkish guys beating people up on video have been arrested:

https://twitter.com/robbiegramer/status/875052619881992192

Well that's some good news.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Wait, are people taking this as an excuse to send death threats to Democrats? The gently caress?

They were already doing that before.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

The shooting that left 2 dead victims in SF should be a bigger deal than a shooting where no one died except the shooter.

dozens dead in london today because capitalism demanded extremely flammable cladding be added to a tower to make the view out of millionaire's windows look slightly nicer is also a bigger story by far

i have not one singular thought nor prayer to spare for the racist jackasses actively trying to kill millions of americans by getting rid of their healthcare right this moment. they won't even end up bankrupt over the er fees

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Man, I hate it when Republicans win. They are going to keep winning for a few weeks because of some lunatic. Might even sneak in the AHCA.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Jesus poo poo: Why is gun legislation/control that much of an loving issue in the USA? If you tell me "It's a multi-billion dollar industry", bull-loving-poo poo. Thousands of people dead every year because of a 'multi-billion dollar industry' looks sketchy as gently caress no matter which way you slice it. That's almost 7000 people dead this year alone because of gun-related violence, and we're still not technically half-way through the year.

For real.

e: some grammar.

In a lot of areas, it's a cultural thing, stemming from the fact that like 85% of the US's land area was semi-independent unclaimed frontier with no formal authorities beyond the local sheriff until about a century ago. Guns formed the backbone of how the rich oppressed the poor, how whites oppressed blacks. After the end of Reconstruction in the South, armed ad-hoc militias literally overthrew local governments by force. When Jim Crow was instituted, the guy with a gun at every polling place anywhere near a black area was the one who enforced it. Firearms are the instrument that were used to forge and protect every kind of inequality and oppression in all of American history. There's a deep cultural bond there; unregulated rifle ownership is as essential to American culture as oppressing the Irish and burning down poor slums is to English culture.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Like 5 Presidents were outright assassinated over the course of a century not too far back really. Politicians in this country have never been safer.

And Reagan was almost assassinated within the lifespan of many posters here - though that was the odd one out, as the shooter was not politically motivated at all and actually mentally ill.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Wait, are people taking this as an excuse to send death threats to Democrats? The gently caress?

Expect some violence specifically targeting a democrat this week while altright media whips people into a frenzy, which will hopefully die down after a week and people forget about this.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

quote:

Former Alexandria mayor Bill Euille said he had talked with alleged shooter James T. Hodgkinson nearly every morning for the past month and a half and even tried to help him find a job after he realized that the man was living out of his gym bag.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...ria-mayor-says/

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
I dunno even with this according to republican doctrine he was still a responsible gun owner (and therefore a patriot) right up until he opened fire this morning

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

In a lot of areas, it's a cultural thing, stemming from the fact that like 85% of the US's land area was semi-independent unclaimed frontier with no formal authorities beyond the local sheriff until about a century ago. Guns formed the backbone of how the rich oppressed the poor, how whites oppressed blacks. After the end of Reconstruction in the South, armed ad-hoc militias literally overthrew local governments by force. When Jim Crow was instituted, the guy with a gun at every polling place anywhere near a black area was the one who enforced it. Firearms are the instrument that were used to forge and protect every kind of inequality and oppression in all of American history. There's a deep cultural bond there; unregulated rifle ownership is as essential to American culture as oppressing the Irish and burning down poor slums is to English culture.

And really guns are just a part of life in rural areas. You hunt. You shoot for fun. You can defend yourself, because you're the only one living at the end of a dirt road.

The popularity of guns in suburban settings is what's so bizarre to me.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/875052156138770433
Maybe it wasn’t a good idea to pick the guy who compared abortion to slavery?

So the requirements for being a judge is just have a pulse?

I remember some jokes about Obama(or alt. timeline Clinton) being able to nominate anyone to SCOTUS and I guess that's also true at lower levels?

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 14, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
2nd admendment should be repealed and the government should seize all guns in the nation and melt them down for resources.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/gabriellahope_/status/875065369773387778

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The popularity of guns in suburban settings is what's so bizarre to me.

It's part of the weird rural aesthetic fetish that many white suburbanites are consumed by. I went to high school in the wealthiest county in the nation per capita, and the amount of rich kids driving pickup trucks (complete with traitor flag stickers) and wearing camo to school was hilarious. All of which was paid for by daddy's defense contractor IT job.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Party Plane Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/pbump/status/875059797716086784

Personally I'd trust the hospital over what other people are saying.

False flag. Clearly he's fine, but the ReTHUGlicans want it to seem more serious so they forced the hospital to say he's fighting for his life. WAKE UP SHEEPLE.

...mostly joking. Not joking quite as much as I'd like to be.

Good thing he didn't spend those weeks learning how to aim.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I asked it before and I think it is with reiterating: was this guy a Vietnam vet? Anyone know his military status? He would be the right age.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I wonder if there will really be any political consequence of this. Is it possible there are people stupid enough to say "I didn't support stripping healthcare from millions, but I do now because of that shooter."?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hellblazer187 posted:

I wonder if there will really be any political consequence of this. Is it possible there are people stupid enough to say "I didn't support stripping healthcare from millions, but I do now because of that shooter."?

I highly doubt it. Anything that comes from this will be new laws cracking down on protesters or journalists reporting on Republican evil. I can't imagine the voters that are going to vote for a Republican in a year because some guy outside their district got shot by some old white dude. In a week they will have squandered this by saying that all Democrats are violent monsters.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Hellblazer187 posted:

Unlikely, IMO. People that dumb and unhinged are already onboard with Trump. I think most Americans who aren't firmly in one camp or another just see this as the Republicans failing to keep the peace, which is a good thing for us.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Hellblazer187 posted:

We shouldn't back down from passing healthcare reform because someone shot at our elected officials.

If anything, it is more important than ever to do so and show that terrorism can't achieve the political results it wants.

I don't agree with the bill, but I would let it pass to stand up for the principle and show that we are united as a country against political violence.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Radish posted:

I highly doubt it. Anything that comes from this will be new laws cracking down on protesters or journalists reporting on Republican evil. I can't imagine the voters that are going to vote for a Republican in a year because some guy outside their district got shot by some old white dude.

Yeah, that's my impression too. I saw some posters saying "republicans are winning" because of this and I'm scratching my head. That might also be fleas, though.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Wark Say posted:

They all felt like really trite, :effort: posts

oh

not to be a jerk but your complaint wasn't exactly filled with intellectual pondering either

gun violence and the proliferation of gun ownership in the us is a very tough thing to solve for. there is no one factor that is to blame in every instance of gun violence but mental illness coupled with the availability of guns seems to be a huge factor in perpetuating the epidemic, and facts bear that out.

the gun lobby, as well as a strong national sentiment supporting the second amendment provides a massive bulwark against both treating the symptoms as well as the root causes of gun violence. the gun lobby, being the horrible greedy capitalists you mentioned, and the population being generationally tricked into believing that the only true way to protect ourselves is with firearms.

what depth of conversation are you looking for here?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Hobo Clown posted:

I assume that they waived their right to privacy

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Republicans are going to ram in a lovely healthcare bill regardless.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yeah, that's my impression too. I saw some posters saying "republicans are winning" because of this and I'm scratching my head. That might also be fleas, though.

Like there will be some media pundits pushing this and there will be some thoughts and prayers, but the party has so thoroughly pushed *wink wink* second amendment solutions and their base are already screaming for literal blood in repayment that I can't see what they are really gaining from any of this.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 14, 2017

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well that's some good news.

literally word for word what went through my pea-sized brain rn

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Wark Say posted:

Jesus poo poo: Why is gun legislation/control that much of an loving issue in the USA?.
Don't think of him ownership as a hobby or a right, think of it as a religion. As stupid as that sounds, it'll get you closer to the truth than whatever logic you may try applying to it.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It is a little upsetting that a shooting where nobody was seriously injured is looking to blow up harder then the portland stabbings or orlando shooting or insert a dozen other acts of violence.

But I don't want the country to get to the point where political based murders are commonplace.

The House majority whip is in critical condition.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

who wants to be the first to call this economic anxiety

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I don't agree with the bill, but I would let it pass to stand up for the principle and show that we are united as a country against political violence.

ah, you're one of those spineless pieces of poo poo who would have voted for the iraq war and then made excuses later

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Fox News has drawn battle lines over this so, sorry if I don't give a poo poo people are insulting Republicans still.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

That's just Covok, who would let us know that the GOP is actually winning if all Republicans in the country suddenly had fatal heart attacks.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

The house majority whip being shot is bigger news than rando civilians being killed, sorry to say. Unfortunately that's because one is a novel event and the other happens all the loving time.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
One of the injured in the Congressional baseball shooting was a lobbyist for Tyson Foods, who was a player on the GOP team despite the fact that he'd been a private lobbyist since Obama's inauguration.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Also political capital is dead (if it ever existed). This guy getting compassion for being attacked isn't going to result in people suddenly being ok with a loathsome health care vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Covok posted:

2nd admendment should be repealed and the government should seize all guns in the nation and melt them down for resources.

We have no butter, but I ask you /Would you rather have butter or guns? /Shall we import lard or steel? Let me tell you /Preparedness makes us powerful. /Butter merely makes us fat.

• Locked thread