Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If 12 cups of coffee was life threatening every DCS worker in the country would be long dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

When I quit caffeine I had to schedule my cleanse for a weekend because I spent a day and change with cold sweats and vomiting, but uh, that was a day and change and not 3 goddamn loving heartattacks.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

loquacius posted:

I wonder if there's like a caffeine rehab center you could go to

When I was in my 2nd and 3rd year of university I'd chug through about 10 cups a day as well.

Coffee/tea for breakfast, get to uni and grab one with a friend before class, grab another after class, have a coke with lunch, grab another after lunch, grab a can of coke before going home, have a coffee when i got home then a pot of tea though the night.

It wasn't great for my guts or my health really. I was weened off it with the help of my mother who secretly gave me herbal, non-caffeinated tea without telling me. So I honestly straight up placebo effected myself with this herbal tea thinking I was on caffeine. I liked the tea so much I replaced most of my caffeine intake with it and went back down to 2 cups of coffee a day at the most.

3 heart attacks sounds very wild. The worst I had was going 50 hours with out sleeping. But that was with not eating anything but toast, drinking only coffee, forcing myself not to sleep and being insanely stressed out about the work I was trying to push out. And it didn't kill or hospitalize me it just made me pass out for 15 hours or so after in a haze of relief and lack of real energy.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 14, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I've never been able to notice the affects of caffeine on me. Maybe because I've been drinking coffee since I was a kid. I usually have 2-3 cups of coffee a day if I'm working, but I can go weeks with out it. I can also have an espresso or half a pot of coffee before bed and have no trouble falling asleep. Guess I'm lucky.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've never been able to notice the affects of caffeine on me. Maybe because I've been drinking coffee since I was a kid. I usually have 2-3 cups of coffee a day if I'm working, but I can go weeks with out it. I can also have an espresso or half a pot of coffee before bed and have no trouble falling asleep. Guess I'm lucky.

2-3 cups a day isn't enough to cause really terrible effects or withdrawals. It's the people who keep upping their dose in order to keep a strong stimulant effect as they gain tolerance that get into trouble.

Personally, I quit caffiene for a week every so often in order to lower my tolerance, so that when I go back to to 3 cups a day I get a good effect again.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Not necessarily saying the 'fesh was true, but an arrhythmia can cause a heart attack, and OD-ing on a stimulant can certainly cause one. Hell, caffeine is so chemically similar to various amphetamines that the treatment protocols for ODs are identical.

I knew a girl in college who took 60 mg of Adderall (a huge dose of a lovely prescription amphetamine cocktail) and downed several black coffees one day during finals week.

Her dumb rear end ended up in the hospital, and she missed her finals. Don't abuse stimulants, kids.

Also I don't get how you can drink so goddamn much coffee that you suffer withdrawal symptoms if you stop. I mean, physiologically, I get it, but man slow it down with the coffee jeez

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Barudak posted:

When I quit caffeine I had to schedule my cleanse for a weekend because I spent a day and change with cold sweats and vomiting, but uh, that was a day and change and not 3 goddamn loving heartattacks.

I guess I was lucky because when I stopped my near 12 cans of diet soda+multiple cups of coffee a day habit after I graduated college and switched to maybe 2-3 cups of coffee a week I didn't feel any withdrawal effects...physically, at least. Mentally it took a while to get over the anxiousness of not constantly being drinking something.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think Im just very sensitive to it and should be viewed as an extreme case; at my peak I was drinking about 2-3 cups (max ~40 ounces/1.2 liters). If I stopped for 24 hours I could guarantee withdrawal symptoms like clockwork so I put off quitting for years until I had a trip coming up, got worries I couldnt get caffeine on it, and decided to quit rather than ruin it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I once took a staycation between quitting an old job and starting a new one, and ruined my entire week by spending it getting caffeine clean

but that just meant I was tired and irritable for a few days, yeah

quote:

I'm pretty sure I have the most hosed up family on SA.

My little brother died when he was 12 and I was 17. He had a heart defect the doctors had caught several years earlier, but even with the meds and surgery, one morning he just didn't wake up. He was an amazing little brother and I miss him every day.

My parents did not take it well at all. The turned his bedroom into a shrine to him and refused to move anything. To this day, almost a decade later, they keep that door locked. Except for once a week, when my mom vacuums and dusts in there. Every time I go visit them it's like walking into a funeral parlor. It's always eerily quiet and my parents are just sitting in silence most of the time. Except for the last few times I visited. Because my parents now have a new son.

Their new son looks exactly like my little brother did when he died. And he's going to continue looking like that forever, because he's a porcelain doll. My parents paid some master doll craftsman to make a doll that looks exactly like my dead brother did before he died. They set it up in the house like it's a real kid. The first time I saw it, they had it sitting up in his bed with a gamecube controller next to it. They dress it in my little brother's old clothes, tuck it in at night, and even take it outside in the yard to play with it sometimes. I don't believe they take it out in public, at least I hope they don't.

I point blank asked them what the hell was going on, and they both said it helps them cope with the loss because they can act out various things they weren't able to actually do with my little brother. I don't know what psycho told them this was a good idea, because that seems like the exact opposite of accepting a death and moving on.

I spent the night over Christmas and woke up around 2 am to go pee. I heard my Dad in my little brother's old bedroom talking to the doll, telling it how great Christmas was going to be with "the whole family" reunited.

I'm going to see my parents again over the 4th of July, and this time I'm bringing a girl I've been seeing for a few months. I have no idea how to explain this to her.

This is pretty hosed-up but I would hesitate to call it "the most hosed-up family on SA" because no one is in prison or dangerously insane

quote:

June 29th is gonna be the greatest day of my life - it's the start of Anthrocon 2017. That's the biggest furry convention, and it's also the first time I'll be in public in my fursona.

I grew up with these forums and mocking furries was, to middle school me, completely hilarious. I assumed every furry was a weird sexual deviant. Looking back, it was the fear of the unknown.

As I grew up I started struggling with depression and feeling like I wasn't comfortable in my own life. I went to a therapist, starting taking anti-depressants. I tried partying, dating girls and guys, chasing every hobby I could.... none of it made me feel truly happy. Then I met a furry. I won't out him, but he shared his secret life with me and told me all about the furry lifestyle.

For about a year now, I've been discovering myself and my fursona. To the outside world I'm still a 30 year old lawyer and sports fan. But in reality, I am Starblitz; a star pattern speckled rabbit who loves astronomy and cuddles.

I'm really excited to go to Anthrocon. I saw another goon post a confession about going, and I'd love to meet him. So if you're reading, keep your eyes open for Starblitz, I'm kind of hard to miss. I'm the 6 foot tall rabbit with a silver cape and a magic wand.

And to any other goons who feel lost or sad, you may be a furry too. Put away your fears and look into it, you might be pleasantly surprised like I was.

yeah uh being a furry isn't a natural state the human mind can be in; you're not trans-furry or anything, you're just latching onto a weird alternative lifestyle because of ennui

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
That fesh isn't anonymous. :colbert:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

loquacius posted:

This is pretty hosed-up but I would hesitate to call it "the most hosed-up family on SA" because no one is dangerously insane

Uh huh :stare:

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

my SVT as a teenager seemed to have been brought on by caffeine (or at least it was the catalyst since I had ablation to take care of it which, I think, meant there was something actually wrong with my heart in the first place) and it sucked rear end. I still have palpitations in general and I avoid caffeine as much as possible.

otoh my brother is complaining about having palpitations and weird anxiety/shaking and he drinks a lot of coffee and caffeinated sodas and poo poo and I'm like hmmmmmm perhaps, don't

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

loquacius posted:

because no one is ... dangerously insane

I disagree

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The doll thing seems like an unhealthy way of coping with grief but given how long it has been, they probably aren't ever going to get therapy (if they were open to it they probably would have been to one already) so if it's dragging around the doll or living in perpetual misery/killing themselves I guess I can't make fun of them too much :shrug:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Rumda posted:

I disagree

I think this only really hits the "dangerous" level if anon goes to their place one day and finds a realdoll of him playing Melee with the brother doll

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

quote:

I heard my Dad in my little brother's old bedroom talking to the doll, telling it how great Christmas was going to be with "the whole family" reunited.

loquacius posted:

no one is in prison or dangerously insane

uh

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

loquacius posted:

I think this only really hits the "dangerous" level if anon goes to their place one day and finds a realdoll of him playing Melee with the brother doll

Even if so, it's definitely a huge red flag and time for some form of intervention before it escalates to dangerous.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

To add to the caffeine chat, last year I sort of toyed with the idea of making my own cola, or own soda, but I definitely wanted to include caffeine. I knew nothing about how that works, so I looked it up.

Holy poo poo.

Did you know that caffeine is the deadliest-yet-legal substance that anyone can just go right ahead and buy online? I mean, when it's in your drink and measured by the milligram, you can tell it's serious stuff, but accidentally ingesting or swallowing even a fraction of a teaspoon would either kill you or really gently caress you up. I have small kids at home, so that pretty much killed any plans for having any of the stuff hanging around, even if it was out of harm's reach.

In short, caffeine is serious poo poo :stare:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Yeah that kinda screams murder-suicide in the making

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

To add to the caffeine chat, last year I sort of toyed with the idea of making my own cola, or own soda, but I definitely wanted to include caffeine. I knew nothing about how that works, so I looked it up.

Holy poo poo.

Did you know that caffeine is the deadliest-yet-legal substance that anyone can just go right ahead and buy online? I mean, when it's in your drink and measured by the milligram, you can tell it's serious stuff, but accidentally ingesting or swallowing even a fraction of a teaspoon would either kill you or really gently caress you up. I have small kids at home, so that pretty much killed any plans for having any of the stuff hanging around, even if it was out of harm's reach.

A couple people die each year from overdosing on the powder they buy.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Holy poo poo.

True, and any idiot can buy it.

That place will sell you uranium too.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

If you swallow enough sand, it'll kill u too

and there's sand everywhere!!

really makes u think

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Holy poo poo.

the ld50 for caffeine is ~150-200mg/kg. If you take the low end of that, and then for shits and giggles divide it by ten just to be safe, I'd need to eat 1.395kg to have a 50% chance of dying.

You must have some bigass teaspoons.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

grumplestiltzkin posted:

the ld50 for caffeine is ~150-200mg/kg. If you take the low end of that, and then for shits and giggles divide it by ten just to be safe, I'd need to eat 1.395kg to have a 50% chance of dying.

Literally the next line on wikipedia.

quote:

A number of fatalities have been caused by overdoses of readily available powdered caffeine supplements, for which the estimated lethal amount is less than a tablespoon

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Doll-brother goon, maybe you should buy a real-doll and bring it along next time you visit. Possibly two options here, both of which might land you in hell.

1. Introduce her to your parents as your fiancee.
2. Introduce her as your brother's new girlfriend and take her in his room, strip her naked and put her in bed with him.

Some times an extreme solution will break them out of this weird worship.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There was a awful link of the day article about people that kept dolls of their dead kids at one point wasn't there? Isn't that where "your poison womb is making heaven too crowded" came from?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Neutrino posted:

2. Introduce her as your brother's new girlfriend and take her in his room, strip her naked and put her in bed with him.

I actually really like this strategy

They can never take them out of the bed because no matter when they try to go in they're always intruding

Solice Kirsk posted:

There was a awful link of the day article about people that kept dolls of their dead kids at one point wasn't there? Isn't that where "your poison womb is making heaven too crowded" came from?

I think that was people making weird online shrines to their miscarried fetuses

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

eh just let your folks play with their porcelain baby they aint hurtin nobody

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

grumplestiltzkin posted:

You're mathing bad. For a 100kg person, that's 100kg*200mg/kg=20,000 mg, or 20 grams. Caffeine is 1.23g/cc, so 20/1.23=5.5 cubic centimeters, or about 1 teaspoon. Now, I don't know whether the number I found was for pure solid density or bulk density, but let's divide it by 10 to account for it being a loose powder; that's still only three tablespoons.

Also LD50 means about half the population will die below that number, sooo...

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Tell your parents to get some fuckin' therapy dude.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

grumplestiltzkin posted:

This man apparently weighs over 6900kg.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

food court bailiff posted:

same :smith:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

food court bailiff posted:

was i picked on in middle school? hmm let me think

- weighed 6900kg
- parents were both Friedlieb Runge (long story)
- wore a suit made from trucker pills to school every day
- had the word "CAFFEINE" instead of a mouth

Barudak
May 7, 2007

rap music posted:

eh just let your folks play with their porcelain baby they aint hurtin nobody

Porcelain? Get with the time, grandma, they make them now that have movie prop skin and pumps inside to make them realistically breathe to the point where somebody smashed out a car window on a hot day cause they thought a real child was in trouble.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Hey porcelain doll goon I too watched giant bomb play tender love and care

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

loquacius posted:

was i picked on in middle school? hmm let me think

- weighed 6900kg
- parents were both Friedlieb Runge (long story)
- wore a suit made from trucker pills to school every day
- had the word "CAFFEINE" instead of a mouth

goddamn just loll'd irl

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Motherfucker posted:

Tell your parents to get some fuckin' therapy dude.

And don't adopt their therapist.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

I'm a reformed Pick Up Artist. You probably already know that life is a complete dumpster fire, but here's some more validation if you need it.

I followed the PUA code for about 3 years. In all 3 years, I had sex 6 times. All six were one night stands. 3 of the girls were over 300 lbs, one was a meth head (and actually asked me to buy her meth the next morning), and the other 2 had major self esteem issues despite being fairly attractive girls. I attempted to start a relationship with those 2, but their insecurities and my own fermented into a stew of problems. Hence never having sex with them again.

I was thrown out of various bars for being an rear end in a top hat, beaten up by angry boyfriends, and in several cases was beaten up by the women I was negging. Once I hit on a girl who must have been in MMA training or something. She had pretty muscular arms and I tried negging her by saying that she needed to work on the rest of her body, and that just giving good handjobs wouldn't get her married any faster.

She proceeded to knock me to the ground and land multiple elbows across my face before a bouncer pulled her off me. Then her friend stomped on my top hat.

I deserved all of this and still feel incredible shame for those wasted years. I'll never tell anyone the truth about them. I'm engaged now and that's way in the past, and I worry sometimes my fiance might found out. I just tell her I didn't date during college, which is technically true.

At first I was like "MMA girl was right to reject you but actually trying to beat you up might have been a bit of an overreaction" then I saw the part about the top hat and I was like "actually ok"

quote:

I recently moved to a very small, very rural community. I work as a safety inspector for a major US food chain, and was relocated to cover safety at one of their dairy farms. The company paid for the relocation, the cost of living is miniscule, and I got a raise. So I should be living high on the hog. But....

I'm a Catholic, a Democrat, and I enjoy the occasional bit of premarital sex within the confines of a monogamous relationship. All 3 of which are majorly frowned upon here.

Most people here go to church, and take it very seriously. So to fit in, I went to church. When people asked me about my beliefs, I was honest. I'm a Catholic who doesn't routinely go to church. Since that day, I've been invited to church every weekend, asked to give up my Catholic faith (I was called an idol worshipper and a pagan to my face so I can only imagine what they say behind my back), and told that everyone would pray for my soul to convert.

The Democrat thing is literally every red state stereotype you've ever heard. Almost everyone over the age of 40 here loving LOVES Trump. Someone accidentally printed up 10 pages of word salad at work and I jokingly said "looks like Trump's speechwriter works here too". The next day I had to go to sensitivity training and spent a week learning not to offend people. That's not even getting into the bars that play FoxNews 24/7, the "Send Obama back to Africa" bumper stickers I see, and the guy at the diner who told me he would never vote for a woman because "cunts don't know how to govern".

Now all of this I could handle, I'd just keep my mouth shut and my head down. But I've dated a girl while I've been living here, and we get along really well. She spent the night after a month of dating. The next day *at work* I was pulled in to HR. Told that I was setting a bad example for younger members of the company, that I had loose morals, and that this stuff might fly in other places but not here. I'm technically outside their jurisdiction, but this looks really bad if they keep constantly sending my boss these issues.

I am unsure what to do. I just started this, so backing out would look awful to my boss and could gently caress up my career. I'm also stranded out here - this was intended to be a 2 year visit so I stopped renting my old apartment and just rented my house here.

Talk to your boss about it. I'm sure he/she would take your side in this because they're way out of line here. Nothing's permanent. You can get a new apartment if you have to. But honestly I hesitate to tell you to move away because then they win.

In any case, them trying to regulate your personal life is not something you have to put up with in any way, shape or form. If you stay, stop going to church and stop trying to please everyone. Matter of fact, make it your goal to piss them off more. They don't have any authority over you, professionally or otherwise.

also lol @ sending you to sensitivity training for making a Trump joke. Special snowflakes need their safe space :smug:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Burn the town down as you drive back towards real civilization with your g/f

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Lmao, it would own if HR came to my desk and said: 'Soooo, we heard you're having sex. Please stop, tia'.
It's just so surreal.

EDIT: and I don't mean the me having sex part!!