Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I imagine it didn't raise the fighting spirit of the driver and radio operator too much.

Also it's worth keeping in mind that the Polish army used 20 mm and 37 mm antitank artillery. There's a bit difference between 20 mm shot and even a 75 mm APHE shell hitting your tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Quote taken from Status and Experience Report on the Campaign in Poland from the 1. leichte Division - 4 October 1939

Unless you were a driver or radio operator. :unsmigghh:

efb

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bewbies posted:

The first time I got shot at I was literally laughing at the sounds the bullets made being exactly the same as they are in a bugs bunny cartoon. \

Also that cannon video is badass, it actually made me a little uncomfortable being at the downrange end of that thing.

I'll confess to being a "what's the big deal about cannons, it's just like a bigger musket ball" thinker once upon a time, but that video really shows how harrowing it is to be shot at by one. And that's just one, not a battery, and not one that's sending pieces of your comrades flying through the air as you march closer. It's incredible that you can induce humans to move at walking pace toward poo poo like that.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
What did that gun use for ammunition?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think they're firing a 12 pound napoleon, so it was almost certainly something like this: http://www.civilwarartillery.com/projectiles/spherical/images/12pdrFixedSide.jpg

That link is a fuzed shell, I'm honestly not sure if they're using timed or contact fuzes in the video.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

bewbies posted:

I think they're firing a 12 pound napoleon, so it was almost certainly something like this: http://www.civilwarartillery.com/projectiles/spherical/images/12pdrFixedSide.jpg

That link is a fuzed shell, I'm honestly not sure if they're using timed or contact fuzes in the video.

I can't do thorough research rn but I'm pretty sure that's actually a compilation of shots from multiple different artillery pieces, including 3" ordnance rifles. At the very least that apc has been shot at by a 3" before https://youtu.be/9G5QQEyqiIs

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Here's the modern equivalent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUvcdKGD-FM

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No whistle? Is that a modern thing or is the popular conception of artillery shells whistling as they fall fake?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

bewbies posted:

That's an interesting site: http://www.civilwarartillery.com/

How reliable were the percussion fuses?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

zoux posted:

No whistle? Is that a modern thing or is the popular conception of artillery shells whistling as they fall fake?

Cartoons depict falling objects with a sort of slide whistle sound, but artillery shells are often falling at or faster than the speed of sound and you'll be lucky to hear a whooshing noise less than a second before impact. There's a good chance the first sign you know artillery is falling is the ground exploding.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Or your mates turning into bits of meat :smith:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

Or your mates turning into bits of meat :smith:

That's normally how you find landmines.

:nms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33r8n1N03dk

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca9HXAoV7Zw

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Cartoons depict falling objects with a sort of slide whistle sound, but artillery shells are often falling at or faster than the speed of sound and you'll be lucky to hear a whooshing noise less than a second before impact. There's a good chance the first sign you know artillery is falling is the ground exploding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99odqGVYe4g

Kinda like finding out all planes don't make the Stuka siren sound if they go into a nose dive.

e: also looking for that video, there are a lot of 10 hour mixes of artillery sounds, which is a really weird thing to fall asleep to.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99odqGVYe4g

Kinda like finding out all planes don't make the Stuka siren sound if they go into a nose dive.

e: also looking for that video, there are a lot of 10 hour mixes of artillery sounds, which is a really weird thing to fall asleep to.

PTSD is a hell of a thing.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Mortar rounds sometimes whistle like in cartoons, and they move slowly enough that you can actually hear them before they impact around you. Aerial bombs are the same way. Guns are this loud whoosh, which you won't hear in the impact area as they're all supersonic. Being underneath a battalion-sized 155mm fire mission as i goes overhead is pretty incredible. Rockets are quieter from the ground as they're much higher; I've never been anywhere near one of those when it is closer to the ground.

What I'd have really liked to see/experience/whatever is being underneath battleships exchanging salvos. Those were some big bullets.

\/\/\/ lol "badly cast balls"

bewbies fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 14, 2017

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Some ACW projectiles:

That rifled solid shot looks decent AT-projectile.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
quote is edit for retards

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

For those saying you hear "nothing" i think the video i posted shows you certainly hear something as artillery lands near you, just not the high pitched whine from movies.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

bewbies posted:

Rockets are quieter from the ground as they're much higher; I've never been anywhere near one of those when it is closer to the ground.
Is the Katyusha noise from the movies supposed to be the sound of the rocket scraping on the launch rail?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Rockopolis posted:

Is the Katyusha noise from the movies supposed to be the sound of the rocket scraping on the launch rail?

Nope, that's just the sound of the rocket itself. That's why you hear them even after they've left the rails. Same goes for any other rocket, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcKhS7ly8ig

Compared to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kISW3cBGG_Q&t=106s

One's in tubes and not rails, but the point remains that its the rocket engine itself and relative position of the listener that can modify how a weapon sounds.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 14, 2017

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Huh, that's nifty. Different diameter rockets making a different noise in the new videos?

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
That APC getting perforated by Civil War era artillery is both amusing and unsurprising, old cannons may be unsophisticated to us but they still throw a hefty chunk of metal at pretty decent velocities. If that gun is a 12 pounder and the round traveling at a bit under the speed of sound, it would have an energy of 0.48MJ, that's twice the kinetic energy of a early WWII 37mm antitank cannon. The projectile may not be all that suited to piercing armor but versus the sides of an APC that are only barely protected versus rifle caliber weapons it's going to gently caress poo poo up.

So in conclusion, yes Napoleonic artillery would be capable of busting WWII era tanks, how's that for speculation.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kafouille posted:

So in conclusion, yes Napoleonic artillery would be capable of busting WWII era tanks, how's that for speculation.
1632-done-right may yet have some nailbiters in it, rather than the future guys winning every encounter

edit: the issue, i think, would be speed.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

HEY GAIL posted:

1632-done-right may yet have some nailbiters in it, rather than the future guys winning every encounter

I'd love for that to exist. Either that or a riff on the whole idea where two or more people get sent to some fantasy world and as much stuff is getting the modern to understand social stuff as Modern Science saving the day. Just basic stuff like "how do the people administering this know that" or "how in the world do you trust these bureaucrat people".

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 14, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

I'd love for that to exist. Either that or a riff on the whole idea where two or more people get sent to some fantasy world and as much stuff is getting the modern to understand social stuff.
what fascinates me is the gulf that would exist between the middle aged and older modern americans, the children-to-about-30s modern americans, and the eventual next generation. Sheila and Earl Smith's daughter Jessica would marry Hieronymus Wentzel Reppichau when she grew up and give birth to Polyxenia and Maximilliana, and how would those generations even talk to one another?

you would end up with a really interesting hybrid culture, but the early modern people would outnumber the modern ones and in contrast to the books their culture would probably end up being more influential.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Rockopolis posted:

Huh, that's nifty. Different diameter rockets making a different noise in the new videos?

Depends on rocket engine/propellant type along with burn rate and all that other fun stuff. Just like how a V8 engine sounds different from one that isn't, or how an F-15 doesn't sound exactly like a Panavia Tornado.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Kafouille posted:

That APC getting perforated by Civil War era artillery is both amusing and unsurprising, old cannons may be unsophisticated to us but they still throw a hefty chunk of metal at pretty decent velocities. If that gun is a 12 pounder and the round traveling at a bit under the speed of sound, it would have an energy of 0.48MJ, that's twice the kinetic energy of a early WWII 37mm antitank cannon. The projectile may not be all that suited to piercing armor but versus the sides of an APC that are only barely protected versus rifle caliber weapons it's going to gently caress poo poo up.

Check out the Hotchkiss solid shot here http://www.inert-ord.net/19cent/shells/rifled.html

Looks like it would do some pretty nasty things to (some) armor. Also that band of lead is cool as hell.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
It almost looks like a APCR round

The nose shape is spot on for an AP round but it would probably break in the middle on encountering armor plate, sadly.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Gnoman posted:

While it is unprovable, and I don't know of anybody who has tried gaming it out or simply tried to extrapolate, I can't help but feel that a Republican victory in the SCW (perhaps by lessening their ties to Communism and thus getting better international support) a really interesting alt-hist scenario for WWII.

International pressure is why they needed communist support.

EDIT: Doi didn't see we ended the page.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 14, 2017

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Kafouille posted:

Early-WWII possibly, or even some mid-war through the sides at close range, but that APC's rusted hulk isn't really to the same grade. Also more energy is good, but larger point of impact is bad, especially at a non-flat angle.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

There's a pretty distinct whistle in this old video of 155mm counter battery rounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNwjYg-dKuA

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
If those cannons were shooting at an Abrams instead, would they still eventually get through to the sweet juicy centre?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Fangz posted:

If those cannons were shooting at an Abrams instead, would they still eventually get through to the sweet juicy centre?
Eventually, but I expect by then the tank would either have gotten them, or the crew would be shaken to jelly by all the shot bouncing off their armor.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
On a geological timescale maybe, but otherwise no, there is an order of magnitude more armor on the side of an Abrams compared to an early WWII tank. You'd break suspension arms and optics if you hit them but otherwise there is enough steel in the way that it's going to shatter the cast iron projectile.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Could you get a mobility-kill on the tracks?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

HEY GAIL posted:

I figured that 1632 was doing pretty right in comparison to other past-meets-present stories. in that the skills of an entire plucky town of americans gets transported, not just the hero of the story. And instead of holing up with superior technology, they quickly realized they couldn't simply wall themselves off and decided to economically integrate with the surrounding German people. Even if it means propagating advanced technology to other people, even if it gives the French a head start on colonizing the (already plague depopulated) North America, so long as they can infect the world with modern progressive ideologies.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

darthbob88 posted:

Eventually, but I expect by then the tank would either have gotten them, or the crew would be shaken to jelly by all the shot bouncing off their armor.

Is fangz talking about the 155s or the ACW artillery? And which are you talking about?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Phobophilia posted:

I figured that 1632 was doing pretty right in comparison to other past-meets-present stories. in that the skills of an entire plucky town of americans gets transported, not just the hero of the story. And instead of holing up with superior technology, they quickly realized they couldn't simply wall themselves off and decided to economically integrate with the surrounding German people. Even if it means propagating advanced technology to other people, even if it gives the French a head start on colonizing the (already plague depopulated) North America, so long as they can infect the world with modern progressive ideologies.

A lot of the more recent books and the stories published in their fan magazine focus more on politics and society then technology or military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Nope, that's just the sound of the rocket itself. That's why you hear them even after they've left the rails. Same goes for any other rocket, too.

Okay, so was the nickname conferred on the Katyusha by the Germans, "Stalin's organ," a reference to "organ" in the musical sense, or in the "the thing Stalin fucks us with" sense?