Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
White Coke
May 29, 2015

Mr. Fowl posted:

- Mandate penalty from neighbouring non-tributaries is now calculated from all owned areas instead of just the home area.

What does this mean exactly? Greater penalties from non-tributary neighbors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

White Coke posted:

What does this mean exactly? Greater penalties from non-tributary neighbors?

Previously, you could dodge the penalty to mandate from having non-tributaries on your border by changing your capital to an "island region", that is, an island like Ryuku or Taiwan that has no bordering provinces (save for the ones on the island). This is because just like when the game figures out where and whether or not an Institution can spawn in your territory, it can only do so in your "home region", provinces with a direct land connection to your capital.

Before this fix, you could transfer your capital to one of these islands and expand to your heart's content because you'd never have to worry about the bordering non-tributary penalty to mandate. Amusingly, this meant that the ideal capital for China was Taiwan (or any island, for that matter).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

Okay, so I invade one of the Aztec nations, march an army from my colony and lay siege to their capital. I win the siege and occupation goes to Denmark, who is also at war with them. However they were not involved in the siege in anyway, I won the whole thing by myself. Why do they get occupation?

Because they were in the province first, starting the siege, so occupation goes to them even if their stack left before the siege ended. The little flag in the siege screen shows who will gain occupation

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Really, the only change to Ming is fixing the island exploit?
It really seems more and more like they just add stuff with every expansion and then forget about it and leave it there to rot. Time for EU5 I would say.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

I'm currently playing as Byzantium and tried taking Humanist as my first admin idea. I think it's worked out really well so far; saved a ton of monarch points with the idea cost reduction, almost never had to fight rebels, tons of economic benefits from the extra culture slots and religious tolerance... it seems kind of insane. And outraged countries tend to get over AE very fast when you have +30% Improve Relations from Humanist, +25% Improve Relations from Diplomatic, and the +Improve Relations adviser simultaneously. My bottlenecks so far have been truce timers and manpower (which soon went away when my first mil idea was Quantity)

Humanist in general is an overpowered idea tree imho. It was masked in the past due to how powerful Deus Vult was for such a paltry cost, but now that you can't abuse that tremendously mispriced ability it's way more apparent that going Humanist is correct in almost any game where you plan to get large.

I kind of wish Humanist abilities were spread out into other trees because as it stands its a braindead choice for anyone who wants to expand fast without ever worrying about rebels or bad relations. The +Improve Relations is the nail in the coffin and seems tacked on to what would already quite possibly be the best idea tree in the game without it.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Tahirovic posted:

Really, the only change to Ming is fixing the island exploit?
It really seems more and more like they just add stuff with every expansion and then forget about it and leave it there to rot. Time for EU5 I would say.

Someone mentioned a page ago that the Manchu tribes now start with feudalism, and any buff to Ming's horde neighbors is indirectly a nerf to Ming. Who knows if that will make even a negligible difference in the end though, since they can just get it naturally from neighboring institution spread.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

MuffinsAndPie posted:

Someone mentioned a page ago that the Manchu tribes now start with feudalism, and any buff to Ming's horde neighbors is indirectly a nerf to Ming. Who knows if that will make even a negligible difference in the end though, since they can just get it naturally from neighboring institution spread.

Hordes are usually pretty poor from their high autonomy and constant warring. It's not a huge change but I think it'll be noticeable.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I doubt it will do anything since they acquire most of their tributaries via diplomacy, which is the thing that needs to be fixed. Ming doesn't declare war on mega-Bahamis they just ask them nicely to become a tributary. There's no change to that so we'll still see most of India as Ming tributaries by 1500.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
The 1.22 patch have dropped now! Third Rome will be live shortly.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Groogy posted:

Thanks Groogy!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Groogy posted:

Is this gonna screw up saved games?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Technowolf posted:

You know that the only two answers we get to this question are "Yes" and "Maybe"...

From the Paradox forum, though, the answer this time is "Yes, this is gonna screw up saved games."

ulmont fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 14, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

There's map changes, so yeah.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Technowolf posted:

Yup. My Venice game where I'd nabbed 3/4 of Austria went kaput.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Peas and Rice posted:

Yup. My Venice game where I'd nabbed 3/4 of Austria went kaput.
You still be able to use the old patch if you really wanted to finish that game.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Started playing aaaaaaand it looks like the diplomacy slot issue still isn't fixed despite the patch notes claiming otherwise.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i don't see anything in the patch notes about the diplo slot thing being fixed. it just looks like nations no longer get a -20 for alliances if the player is over the relation limit

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I thought that's what this was referring to:

- AI no longer cares about potential allies/marriages being above diplomatic relations limit.

But it still seems to give a -50 penalty to alliance/marriage offers.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

what to heck...

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Well that sucks. Looks like I'll continue playing on the 1.20 patch for now.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Technowolf posted:

Yes

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Mr. Fowl posted:

I thought that's what this was referring to:

- AI no longer cares about potential allies/marriages being above diplomatic relations limit.

But it still seems to give a -50 penalty to alliance/marriage offers.

I think you got it in reverse, they will not be fine with being over their relation limit. They will now be okay however that you are over your limit.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
First Come, First Serve is incredibly easy now. The Siberian Frontiers idea costs 0 points and you can take it as your tradition (note it does not work with extra settler growth). You can spread like a disease over North America in a few years.

With the Native Assimilation idea, you can really turbo colonize the Americas.

Antifa Spacemarine fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 14, 2017

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

You still be able to use the old patch if you really wanted to finish that game.

Eh, I think I can do better. I'd love a Venice game where I don't have to fight the entire goddamned HRE every time I want some new territory.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Peas and Rice posted:

Eh, I think I can do better. I'd love a Venice game where I don't have to fight the entire goddamned HRE every time I want some new territory.

Head East!

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Peas and Rice posted:

Oh that's easy. All you have to do is kill the Ottomans :eng101:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mountaineer posted:

Well that sucks. Looks like I'll continue playing on the 1.20 patch for now.

It's comforting to know that I'll never have to buy a new dlc or download a new patch for this game again.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

First Come, First Serve is incredibly easy now. The Siberian Frontiers idea costs 0 points and you can take it as your tradition (note it does not work with extra settler growth). You can spread like a disease over North America in a few years.

whoa have you always had to be western tech group. i want those high american units........

code:
	possible = {
		is_playing_custom_nation = yes
		NOT = { num_of_custom_nations = 2 }
		normal_or_historical_nations = yes
		normal_province_values = yes
		ironman = yes
		start_date = 1444.11.11
		is_random_new_world = no
		NOT = { nation_designer_points = 202 }
		technology_group = western
		capital_scope = {
			OR = {
				continent = north_america
				continent = south_america
			}
		}
	}

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Feels like that should be like a 100 point idea at least.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Senor Dog posted:

It's comforting to know that I'll never have to buy a new dlc or download a new patch for this game again.

Seriously, all that penalty does is make things miserable for the player, and it's dropped in with no developer commentary whatsoever.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

The Siberian Frontiers idea costs 0 points
Haha what

How is the free colonist cheaper than the regular colonist

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Welp time to get my Humble Origens run in. How's the Novgorod situation post patch? Never got a Frozen Asses run in and I'm wondering if that start is even more hosed than previously.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Elotana posted:

Haha what

It can only be used with a direct land connection to your capital, so useless for most nations.

But 0 is still almost certainly a mistake.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Elotana posted:

Haha what

IIRC that colonist costs 20 diplo to use and requires a land connection to your capital. And this is just an ability that lets you form colonies for diplo points, not actually a colonist, so you don't get any of the settler growth benefits from having a colonist in the province

These colonies are special and also don't cost colonial maintenance, which seems super good for an America start

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 14, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it's 20 dip to set up a pretty quick colony with no maintenance, which means no quadratic maintenance cost, which means get like 10 and a time and spread spread spread

i'm waiting for 800 splendor to pick up that +1/1/1 colony bonus and hoping it works

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
It does, it is insane. Starting on Panama makes it super easy to get the goal for being on 2 continents, and you can humiliate the Carib for another to get it super quickly.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I have a quick query. I currently have the base game, Conquest of Paradise, Res Publica, and Wealth of Nations. I'm totally new to the game and somewhat limited on funds. What, of the available expansions, is a good addition to grab on the sale?

Are there any good tutorials/starting nations to be found? I remember there were some good CKII/Vicky II tutorial LPs, but it seems there's no LP for EU IV.

Also: is it possible for the Ainu to claim the Mandate of Heaven?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yes, any Eastern or Pagan religion can claim the mandate.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yvonmukluk posted:

I have a quick query. I currently have the base game, Conquest of Paradise, Res Publica, and Wealth of Nations. I'm totally new to the game and somewhat limited on funds. What, of the available expansions, is a good addition to grab on the sale?

Are there any good tutorials/starting nations to be found? I remember there were some good CKII/Vicky II tutorial LPs, but it seems there's no LP for EU IV.

I have a hard time parsing the DLC so I will not comment on that. Good starter nations include the Ottomans if you want to be able to expand and learn war and whatnot without too many existential threats nearby. Castille is good if you want to be a bigger nation and colonize while still probably needing to be involved in Europe; Portugal if you would like to learn naval stuff and do exploration + colonizing. I could go into more detail about why I think they are good if you would like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Any predictions on how cheap EU4 and DLC will go in Steam summer sale?

• Locked thread