Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
And if you know you're using that colour again get an empty dropper bottle and make a dedicated airbrush mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

Anyone have much experience with the Neo for Iwawa CN Airbrushes? http://www.firestormgames.co.uk/neo-for-iwata-cn-gravity-feed-airbrush-0-35mm-nozzle

Thinking of picking one up to get a grip and learn to sit down with airbrushing. Anyone have much experience on this brand or recommendations?

I got one as my first airbrush. It works well enough, though kind of finicky to clean. Smaller nozzle (.35) also tends to clog if you don't thin correctly.

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah, get them all. Pro-tip: save time by mixing your paints in the water cup and backflow air by pressing the tip against a soft cloth/towel. Put the thinner/flow improver in first and then add the paint. Paint should be added to the side of the cup instead of right onto the needle so the bubbling fluids can mix with it without clogging anything.

That method doesn't work that well with the Badger Patriot though. drat needle sticks out too far.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Floppychop posted:

I got one as my first airbrush. It works well enough, though kind of finicky to clean. Smaller nozzle (.35) also tends to clog if you don't thin correctly.

That method doesn't work that well with the Badger Patriot though. drat needle sticks out too far.

The patriot is where I started using it

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Chill la Chill posted:

The patriot is where I started using it

Same here. Was looking at Iwata but if your in North America I'd recommend Badger. If anything breaks or needs to replace your going to be able to get cheaper replacement parts. Their customer service is supposed to be fantastic

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Floppychop posted:

You can, you just have to be prepared for a needle to stick into your finger 1/32nd of a inch.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

OK, thanks guys - I've got it coming at some point tonight so will report back my abject failure shortly.

Am I correct in assuming that I'm going to need discrete tones, with cleaning the airbrush inbetween - rather than blending as I'd expect? For ex, going from red to yellow to bleached bone would be multiple transparent coats of each to layer, rather than trying to mix many intermediate shades? (obviously the jumps can't be too big, but you get my meaning)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Southern Heel posted:

OK, thanks guys - I've got it coming at some point tonight so will report back my abject failure shortly.

Am I correct in assuming that I'm going to need discrete tones, with cleaning the airbrush inbetween - rather than blending as I'd expect? For ex, going from red to yellow to bleached bone would be multiple transparent coats of each to layer, rather than trying to mix many intermediate shades? (obviously the jumps can't be too big, but you get my meaning)

You can do it that way, or you can progressively mix in the next color and spray it through creating a natural gradation. I don't know how large the piece you're working with is though, so you might be better off with just spraying the base colors and feathering them.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I tend to just drop increasing amounts of my next color in to get gradation that way as well.

I use a paper towel and have no problem backflushing my badger patriot. I'm really happy with it and will be sticking with Badger, parts are super easy to get on Amazon too. Looking forwards to a krome renegade next.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah, get them all. Pro-tip: save time by mixing your paints in the water cup and backflow air by pressing the tip against a soft cloth/towel. Put the thinner/flow improver in first and then add the paint. Paint should be added to the side of the cup instead of right onto the needle so the bubbling fluids can mix with it without clogging anything.

Yep, after much practice I ended up nailing down this exact strategy. Put in the suggested 1:1:10 thinner/flow improver/paint (for the surface primer anyway, I need to get the ratios right for the air/nonair paints still probably), put the thinner and flow improver in first, put the paint in the side, mix a bit right in the cup with a popsickle stick, put the cap on it, give it a bit of backflow bubbles for more mixing, do a test spray and then go to town.

My speed went way up. Only really need to give it a clean when you are done, or when you've done maybe 5 or 6 whole pots of it. Good idea to dab some cleaner on a towel to wipe away the needle every so often but I wasn't getting dry tip at all. Just some backsplatter into the front/needle that builds up over time.

I primed a doomsday ark, 10 lychguard, 5 immortals, 5 characters, a night scythe, a triarch stalker, and 3 wraiths in maybe about an hour, hour and a half including getting all my airbrush poo poo out from the cabinet.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Wow holy poo poo, you guys were right - this is like night and day. I started with too much thinner but zero'ed it in quite quickly - basecoated some white squats in exo-armour, shot some white over what will be an orange half of a dread and five terminators in just a few minutes!

Am I correct in that if I want finer lines/detail/etc. I should go closer with less action?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Southern Heel posted:

Wow holy poo poo, you guys were right - this is like night and day. I started with too much thinner but zero'ed it in quite quickly - basecoated some white squats in exo-armour, shot some white over what will be an orange half of a dread and five terminators in just a few minutes!

Am I correct in that if I want finer lines/detail/etc. I should go closer with less action?

And lower PSI.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Southern Heel posted:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Airbrushing is god mode for painting. Even just basecoating at first.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

bonds0097 posted:

And lower PSI.

This is the biggest one. I think I'm hovering around 6-8 psi for 99% of the work I do. It's an easy detail to overlook when trying to sort out paint to thinner ratios of things are acting up

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Any alternative to GW Martian Iron Earth/Crust that are as good and look the same?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Isn't that just orange paint with crackle medium in it?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
If you're just getting started with Airbrushing, you cannot go past Vallejo flow improver. It is straight up Voodoo magic for air brushes. With it you can put anything through. Citadel, P3, Scale - anything. It's A++

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

If you're just getting started with Airbrushing, you cannot go past Vallejo flow improver. It is straight up Voodoo magic for air brushes. With it you can put anything through. Citadel, P3, Scale - anything. It's A++

This. So much. For years I've been doing basecoats with an airbrush, and it would work OK for a few models and then start clogging up and being a huge pain and I'd have to strip the whole thing and clean it. Started using this and I got through a tank and 20 other models without a single problem.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
How's it compare to windex? I've been using it for years and it's been great for me, but I wonder if I'm missing out.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

HA! Spot on! Thank you all for the encouragement. As above I think so far at least it's going to just be great for basecoats - I'm not clear on whether I should attempt multiple colours on a single model, but I'm guessing without extensive masking that's a no-no (i.e. painting a black gun that's already attached to a blue body). Are there any recommended masking tapes if that's the idea? I'm thinking of how I'd bisect a space marine for two-colour scheme using an airbrush? Speaking of which, I guess I can put all my tones down in shades of white, then glaze (?) over the top with orange to get a smooth orange?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

BULBASAUR posted:

How's it compare to windex? I've been using it for years and it's been great for me, but I wonder if I'm missing out.

Wouldn't know as I haven't tried it.

I used to use thinner, and would experience dry tip and clogs - but this stuff.. it's straight up magic.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Southern Heel posted:

HA! Spot on! Thank you all for the encouragement. As above I think so far at least it's going to just be great for basecoats - I'm not clear on whether I should attempt multiple colours on a single model, but I'm guessing without extensive masking that's a no-no (i.e. painting a black gun that's already attached to a blue body). Are there any recommended masking tapes if that's the idea? I'm thinking of how I'd bisect a space marine for two-colour scheme using an airbrush? Speaking of which, I guess I can put all my tones down in shades of white, then glaze (?) over the top with orange to get a smooth orange?

Tamika tape for hard line edges. Silly putty for bulk coverage and everything else. Get rubber tipped sculpting tools to work it into details.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
What is Tamika tape and why is it special? Nothing finding it on Google

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mugaaz posted:

He typo-ed Tamiya.

Now I wish "Tamika tape" was some weird Japanese fetish thing and that you would have been taken on a journey of the senses.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tamiya tape. It's painter's tape but with thinner lines and softer tack that works better for minis.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Cross posting from the 40k thread - just based my first dude in like 14 years. The slime river is the nurgle's rot technical paint, and it looks better in person (and maybe also when I take a better pic). I'm considering mixing some earthshade wash into another layer on it to help it not blend in with the green on the loincloth and armor.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

maybe wash the edges of rock where the slime is? Right now they're very separate and don't blend together at all.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Mugaaz posted:

poo poo, sorry. Phone posting :argh:

I do mean Tamiya tape.

Video showing silly putty masking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZhxSs70wgo

Tamiya do standard yellow tape, but also white tape "for curves" that has some give in it so you can do things like this:

If I'm doing something big enough to justify it i'll do the clean edges of a large mask with white/yellow tape and then the bulk with putty instead of trying to tape paper over it or whatever.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

TTerrible posted:

poo poo, sorry. Phone posting :argh:

I do mean Tamiya tape.

Video showing silly putty masking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZhxSs70wgo

Tamiya do standard yellow tape, but also white tape "for curves" that has some give in it so you can do things like this:

If I'm doing something big enough to justify it i'll do the clean edges of a large mask with white/yellow tape and then the bulk with putty instead of trying to tape paper over it or whatever.

blutac/poster putty stuff also works well. I keep a ton of that around for like, dry fitting entire kits together when they have multiple sub assemblies, or sticking stuff to corks to airbrush, or masking parts, or holding stuff up while it glues, etc.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

General Olloth posted:

blutac/poster putty stuff also works well. I keep a ton of that around for like, dry fitting entire kits together when they have multiple sub assemblies, or sticking stuff to corks to airbrush, or masking parts, or holding stuff up while it glues, etc.

I seem to do something that makes blutac lose its ability to stick to things. A ton of guides say getting paint/varnish/whatever on the tac is fine as long as you mix it back into a big blog and work it a bit but I'm not so sure. I need to get one of those multi-headed hydra clamp things from eBay for holding stuff for spraying I think.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

TTerrible posted:

I seem to do something that makes blutac lose its ability to stick to things. A ton of guides say getting paint/varnish/whatever on the tac is fine as long as you mix it back into a big blog and work it a bit but I'm not so sure. I need to get one of those multi-headed hydra clamp things from eBay for holding stuff for spraying I think.

It eventually gets too much paint but I bought like a 4 pack of 4 sticks each on Amazon for like $12 so I don't see myself really running out for a while.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

Southern Heel posted:

maybe wash the edges of rock where the slime is? Right now they're very separate and don't blend together at all.

Good call. I'll give that a try tonight. Thanks for the suggestion!

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Any idea what this guy starts using at 6:26 to remove the extra wash? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWCGNhdAmo0

I'm still new to this, but I thought you were stuck dry brushing over wash with the original color if you fudged it like that.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

OptimusWang posted:

Any idea what this guy starts using at 6:26 to remove the extra wash? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWCGNhdAmo0

I'm still new to this, but I thought you were stuck dry brushing over wash with the original color if you fudged it like that.

He's just soaking up the excess wash with an empty brush.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

OptimusWang posted:

Just a clean brush isn't it? It'll absorb excess was while it's still wet.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Just a clean brush isn't it? It'll absorb excess was while it's still wet.

Oh drat, then I'm just too slow. I've used a brush for pulling little blurbs of wash out when it pools, but washing an entire model, then having time to go back and mess with the wash is faster than I can comfortably go right now.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Geoff Zahn posted:

Cross posting from the 40k thread - just based my first dude in like 14 years. The slime river is the nurgle's rot technical paint, and it looks better in person (and maybe also when I take a better pic). I'm considering mixing some earthshade wash into another layer on it to help it not blend in with the green on the loincloth and armor.

To see how shores soaking a liquid works, I think looking up what you think it would look like in Google images is a good idea.

"Antifreeze spill" gave me this.

Its not antifreeze but people think it's just an organic chemical that reacts to UV light to turn into that. I think they use it to show sewage leaks

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Good call, thanks! If I'm looking at it right, a very watered down coat of nurgle's rot into the edges to soak it in between the rocks, and some earthshade wash over that on the edges to give it some contrast should make it look pretty good then?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Geoff Zahn posted:

I just wanna say that your plague marine looks ace. Really like the color scheme you got going there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Thanks! I was trying to make them look similar to the original legion scheme. I might tweak some of the colors (like switching the gold to brass or rusted iron), but overall I'm happy with this over the usual green Death Guard. I'm going to try to get some more pinks/purples in there to give it some "pop" alongside the green and orange - I'm hoping that sticking with secondary colors will make them great.

Fake James fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 14, 2017