Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm just worried that Hazma's going to have an evolution where he's swollen, his suit has burst and he has radioactive sludge seeping from his mask and tears (because a cute little rad-suit dinosaur isn't hardcore edgy enough). Please tell me that the game was C&Ded before that nightmare came to pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Randalor posted:

I'm just worried that Hazma's going to have an evolution where he's swollen, his suit has burst and he has radioactive sludge seeping from his mask and tears (because a cute little rad-suit dinosaur isn't hardcore edgy enough). Please tell me that the game was C&Ded before that nightmare came to pass.

Hazma has no evolution. The lower the lifeform, the larger its evolutions, because the KO risk is high. Therefore, a perfect being doesn't need any stages or forms. There is but only one summit.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Scarodactyl posted:

Looking at Hazma again, he is great as-is and all, but what if....

this is beautiful

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Schubalts posted:

To be fair, radiation has been a problem since that power plant blew Ranger Ninja Good Human Hokage Dick Solomon's mom up like 10 years ago, and this game plays faster and looser with science than even official Pokémon games.

You know, I completely forgot about that part. :v:
Okay so it actually does kind of make sense. You'd think the Rangers would be a bit more pleased with this discovery, given all the nuclear fallout these saps are going to be dealing with for the next few generations.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Schubalts posted:

To be fair, radiation has been a problem since that power plant blew Ranger Ninja Good Human Hokage Dick Solomon's mom up like 10 years ago, and this game plays faster and looser with science than even official Pokémon games.

But here's the million dollar question. Have we reached Metal Gear Solid levels of science fuckery yet?

No really. I lost track of the plot ages ago.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

We haven't seen any "vampires but actually enhanced by nanomachines but maybe actually are vampires after all" yet.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Hazma is the best. They almost ruined it with a redesign but thankfully relented. Well, ruin is a bit much but made it not as good isn't so snappy.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Scarodactyl posted:

Top Boy becomes Top Man

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

WrightOfWay posted:

Top Boy becomes Top Man

Top Boyz II Men

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

Scarodactyl posted:

:perfect: :five:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Scarodactyl posted:

I thought Hazma didn't have an evolution.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Glazius posted:

So I guess Hazma's got a fixed ability or something that makes it resist Nuclear?

Flat immunity to it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Nuclear already resists nuclear so immunity to it isn't anything super new. But that's not the reason why Hazma is the Top Boy.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Kurieg posted:

Nuclear already resists nuclear so immunity to it isn't anything super new. But that's not the reason why Hazma is the Top Boy.

The way Nuclear works, the only three type combinations that actually resist it are Nuclear by itself, Steel by itself, and Nuclear/Steel. And I don't think there even are any of the latter two in Uranium unless they haven't popped up yet.

Full immunity to the type is nothing to complain about.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Added Space posted:

There's actually a common form of pokemon that's powered by radiation and uses it to shoot massive lasers.

Common, my rear end. You can only get one in any of the games it's in!

Testekill posted:

Just have to look to Australia for that. There's actually a ton of uranium deposits near the surface in Australia and the ancient Aboriginals would actively avoid them and referred to them as places of sickness since the plants and water around them were also contaminated.
Just more evidence that Australia is The Worst Place. :P

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Silver Falcon posted:

I'm not giving Uranium a pass here, buuuuut, naturally occurring radiation is a thing. Granted it wouldn't be nearly as bad as nuclear fallout, but it does exist.

It could be as bad - we've had naturally occurring nuclear reactors.
http://gizmodo.com/there-s-a-naturally-occurring-nuclear-fission-reactor-i-1475445638

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

ulmont posted:

It could be as bad - we've had naturally occurring nuclear reactors.
http://gizmodo.com/there-s-a-naturally-occurring-nuclear-fission-reactor-i-1475445638

Man, I love that story, I first read about the Oklo deposits in the official guidebook for SimEarth, it had a lot of educational sidebars about Earth science and stuff. You know, thinking about it, if you're gonna do a Pokemon game themed all around radiation for some dumb reason, instead of weeaboo yin-yang legendaries, they should have gone with one based on Oklo, as, like, "the original Nuclear Pokemon" or something. At least do the bad idea well.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You and I both know they didn't do any research on nuclear power beyond The Simpsons.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
So I noticed something when I took some shots for the next update, and I wanted to bring it up now instead of later because it would get drowned out in everything else:

Notice something about nuclear Paraudio?

Here's regular Paraudio.

The nuclear form has a little frown, because it's edgy.

And Nuclear Paraboom has the corners of the grin removed so it... just has its mouth open? The hell is this?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I think it's supposed to be growling?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've lost track in the thread, which song is it that's constantly playing in the game now?

Is it this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h4BhNVpCAU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

This is the worst poo poo I've ever seen.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

corn on the cop posted:

You would think, but then there's the Berserk 2017 anime

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

rotinaj posted:

I've lost track in the thread, which song is it that's constantly playing in the game now?

Is it this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h4BhNVpCAU

Nope, the other Nuclear one. This one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ujfsWR6yNg

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

corn on the cop posted:

it looks like someone injected an antelope with a shitload of silicon and strapped some rockets to it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dr Subterfuge posted:

is this for real

because holy poo poo

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Manatee Cannon posted:

is this for real

because holy poo poo

It's for real. Wail and gnash your teeth and be happy you aren't a Berserk fan :sigh:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Dr Subterfuge posted:

:allears:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

corn on the cop posted:

Mega Inflagetah (god that name) feels like it might actually be a workable Mega Pokemon because it comes a little closer to the canonical designs.

If you look at the Mega pokemon they walk this very thin line where they're exaggerated and different from regular pokemon but clearly not entirely new pokemon. Mega Gengar is clearly a Gengar even though it's a giant exaggerated version, Mega Aerodactyl is clearly Aerodactyl but jagged and exaggerated, Mega Sableye is clearly Sableye only clearly exaggerated and caricatured, Mega Manectric is clearly a Manectric only super overblown, and so-forth. You look at them see immediately "Oh that can't be anything but a weird looking Gengar/Aerodactyl/Sableye/Manectric", they look like evolutions but they don't look different enough to make you think it's an entirely new species of Pokemon.

Most of the Megas in Uranium don't meet that criterion. Instead most of them look like regular evolutions. The Uranium Starters are good (bad) examples, with Electruxo's family especially looking like a regular 3-stage pokemon line. The Megas in Uranium simply don't look exaggerated yet the same enough to pull it off, most of them are restrained enough that they just look like regular evolutions. If you look at Dramsama for instance its Mega Form is a much too conventional extension of its regular design, if you didn't know it was a Mega you'd probably think that was a natural evolution because the progression is too simple and smooth. Inflagetah is one of the only ones that looks like a Mega pokemon because the ridiculous rocket thrusters looks like the sort of thing you'd see on a canon Mega pokemon. The problem is that Mega Inflagetah is ugly as sin.

That's the other problem with Uranium's mega pokemon incidentally, Mega Pokemon designs work because they're based on good designs to begin with. Even some of the uglier (IMHO) Mega designs like Mega Sharpedo and Mega Camerupt work as designs because you can look at them and recognize them from their base forms. When you look at Mega Whatever you can understand that it used to be a regular Whatever because in Pokemon the design sense is strong and memorable enough that every pokemon stands out. Uranium's Pokemon don't. Mega Inflagetah is not only ugly, it's also the evolution of a super bland Pokemon. The Uranium Pokedex on the whole is simply too unmemorable and too boring to really support Mega Pokemon. You need a baseline of good designwork before you can even think to aim for the tricky bit of making a new form that's exaggerated and distinct from the original design while still being recognizably similar.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

And it looks dumb, too!

Get this Digimon out of my Pokemon

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

RyuHimora posted:

Even as a Digimon, that would be pretty awful.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Scarodactyl posted:

New Toxic Avengers remake lookin good.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

RyuHimora posted:

You say it's digimon but I know it for what it truly is!

Rush you put those antlers away and get back to providing Megaman with a spring board and occasional rocket board right now or else you're not getting any robo-dog treats!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

the Orb of Zot posted:

The way Nuclear works, the only three type combinations that actually resist it are Nuclear by itself, Steel by itself, and Nuclear/Steel. And I don't think there even are any of the latter two in Uranium unless they haven't popped up yet.

Full immunity to the type is nothing to complain about.

I think the fully evolved version of Barewl is plain Steel. You know, that weird :gonk: deer.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

corn on the cop posted:

Really? It's a rocket-powered power-armored cheetah

All it needs is some laser cannons and it'd be the perfect Zoid

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

I think the issue is that it's a great concept, but A) the execution is lacking, and B) it's not really a good Pokemon concept.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Vinylshadow posted:

Also that Zoid already exists and it looks way cooler than this.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Maybe I'm just letting the name "Inflategah" influence me, but this thing really looks like a pool toy to me. Except on fire. Also a deer now?

... A problem. It looks like a problem, is what I think I'm trying to say.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Omnicrom posted:

Good Words

This is a great post. This even highlights my issues with the mega evolutions of canon Pokémon in this game, where Whimsicott looks outright goofy, and doesn't look like a natural expansion on Whimsy. Just some weird Sakura tree just because its Mega wielder is Eastern-based.

Signaling out Inflagetah as a good mega evolution is also funny, when it's the only mega evolvable Pokémon that's base form is a stone evolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Scarodactyl posted:

TOPPEST BOY

• Locked thread