Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Noone would care about Gatka if it didn't have a name on the map. You drop there and it's just a few lovely wooden shacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Noone would care about Gatka if it didn't have a name on the map. You drop there and it's just a few lovely wooden shacks.

To be fair you could same about Stalber.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
If you don't drop at school at least 50% of the time when playing solo then you are weak

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I have never once landed at school and made it out alive because I am a bad.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

The proest tip to make it out of school is to either get the first gun and down everybody or jump down & hide immediately after finding either an 1887 or something automatic that isn't a micro uzi & just not move. Eventually the guy who came up on top will scout your room & if you hadn't made any sounds in several minutes you'll get the drop every time. Alternatively, know your escape routes. Landing on the high platform on the roof is yhe safest place possible, you should be able to get a gun up there but if not you can just jump straight into the western hole. You can jump on the chairs/tables in the southwestern room & crawl out that window w/o taking damage.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Tonetta posted:

The proest tip to make it out of school is to either get the first gun and down everybody or jump down & hide immediately after finding either an 1887 or something automatic that isn't a micro uzi & just not move. Eventually the guy who came up on top will scout your room & if you hadn't made any sounds in several minutes you'll get the drop every time. Alternatively, know your escape routes. Landing on the high platform on the roof is yhe safest place possible, you should be able to get a gun up there but if not you can just jump straight into the western hole. You can jump on the chairs/tables in the southwestern room & crawl out that window w/o taking damage.

what is this loving hide poo poo?

VIOLENCE

SPEED

MOMENTUM

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

but.... yolo

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Gatka is fine as far as loot goes for solo, there's a secret pair of houses 400m NW on the map, and there are 4 car spawn locations between there and hospital. I rarely see the west side of the map below Georgopol either so it's almost like a vacation.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

My favorite drop spot is the flooded town near Rozhok, which I call Sunky Town, because it is a lot like Funky Town only wetter. It's a unique place, usually not far from whatever the circle shrinks to, and I have a route down that lets me hit just about everything pretty quickly. Runner up is Georgopol. Want-to-like but can't is Yasnaya, because the circle almost never favors it and running south for a kilometer across flat ground is balls.

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

Worst drop point are the warehouses inside of the crater. God that place sucks.

I love those warehouses, especially in solo. It's a fun place to drop in and I've always found decent loot. Plus it's usually a hotbed for early game action if it's anywhere near the flightpath.

Linstar
Apr 21, 2010

Tonetta posted:

That kinda defeats the whole purpose of going school. You go there to kill people.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

And what's this madness about not wanting to use a micro uzi while waiting in a close range ambush? It's a murder hose at distances of under 5m.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Yea, if I were to pick early game rumble weapons Micro Uzi would be #1. I'm not great with shotguns and the Uzi can wreck two dudes in a magazine easy.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Linstar posted:

That kinda defeats the whole purpose of going school. You go there to kill people.

& here I was thinking that it was about high tier loot & circle advantage (95% of the time) at medium risk

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
No, it's about getting in an early fight.

Linstar
Apr 21, 2010

Tonetta posted:

& here I was thinking that it was about high tier loot & circle advantage (95% of the time) at medium risk

That's dumb. School loot is pretty terrible. Literally only go there to kill people.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

aniviron posted:

And what's this madness about not wanting to use a micro uzi while waiting in a close range ambush? It's a murder hose at distances of under 5m.

Literally every gun is, perhaps with the exception of sniper rifles. Doesn't mean its a good gun.

If you want to go school, what you need to do is get into one of the class rooms at the end of the long hall way on the second floor. Hopefully you've found something like an UMP by then, then you just third person peak that door and wait for people to come by. But yeah, school is awful.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tonetta posted:

School is a little more than "medium risk" I'd say.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

so what are the go to settings for performance right now? seeing a lot of talk of launch options etc etc

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

VulgarandStupid posted:

what you need to do is get into one of the class rooms at the end of the long hall way on the second floor.

if you want to do this, land on the awning instead of the roof and jump in, less chance of someone getting down first, finding a shotgun and murdering you immediately.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

School is a little more than "medium risk" I'd say.

Depends on how you play it really. It's the highest risk building in the game if you want it to be, but there are a lot of escape options in the school & early game nobody is watching windows if you came up empty handed.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

My favorite drop spot is the flooded town near Rozhok, which I call Sunky Town, because it is a lot like Funky Town only wetter. It's a unique place, usually not far from whatever the circle shrinks to, and I have a route down that lets me hit just about everything pretty quickly. Runner up is Georgopol. Want-to-like but can't is Yasnaya, because the circle almost never favors it and running south for a kilometer across flat ground is balls.

Dropping into Atlantis is fun, but it can take forever to loot because swimming takes so long and jumping up crates can be so finnicky.

Still love it though.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

God drat Dam God posted:

I love those warehouses, especially in solo. It's a fun place to drop in and I've always found decent loot. Plus it's usually a hotbed for early game action if it's anywhere near the flightpath.

I learned pretty quickly that going there, if near the flight path, is a death sentence. There's only one exit out of the compound and if anyone comes over, they have the high ground and all kinds of rocks to head peak behind. It's like shooting fish in a barrel and you're the fish.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

VulgarandStupid posted:

I learned pretty quickly that going there, if near the flight path, is a death sentence. There's only one exit out of the compound and if anyone comes over, they have the high ground and all kinds of rocks to head peak behind. It's like shooting fish in a barrel and you're the fish.

If you're sneaky you can get out on the west side through the fence and circle around to get anyone that's waiting.

J
Jun 10, 2001

What the hell do you do in this game when you live longer than 10 minutes. I don't know what to do. I always get shot by dudes I can't see. Seriously I can never, ever loving see who's shooting at me or figure out where the shots are coming from and just die hopelessly every time.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

When i jump crater solo I like to land on the accessible roof in the south building, & if there are only like 2 other players with me that would land on ground, ill pick up my first weapon & jump down (to awning then ground) to take them out cause you can beat them to the ground. You take like 20 damage doing it but then you get a free clear which totally makes up for popping a booster

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Flea Bargain posted:

If you're sneaky you can get out on the west side through the fence and circle around to get anyone that's waiting.

I guess if you mean if you're playing on low-tier MMR where people are literally blind.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Yodzilla posted:

Worst drop point are the warehouses inside of the crater. God that place sucks.

The trick to this is dropping on the house at the top of the hill and working your way down. For some reason people almost always opt for the warehouses instead so you have both a free building to loot and the height advantage for when you move down.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Rex-Goliath posted:

The trick to this is dropping on the house at the top of the hill and working your way down. For some reason people almost always opt for the warehouses instead so you have both a free building to loot and the height advantage for when you move down.

If you're squadding you might want to have people in the big building since controlling that roof really messes with the warehouses people (especially those who don't realize the roof of their building can be shot through.

Comedy answer go up on the giant guard towers.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

J posted:

What the hell do you do in this game when you live longer than 10 minutes. I don't know what to do. I always get shot by dudes I can't see. Seriously I can never, ever loving see who's shooting at me or figure out where the shots are coming from and just die hopelessly every time.

Get better at figuring out where the shots are coming from. I know that sounds like a smart rear end answer but it's really the only way. Once you're better at that you'll be able to shoot back or take cover more effectively and then you start living longer.

Keep your head on a swivel. Hold down alt to look around you without actually changing position and scan everywhere, always, especially when you're running. Keep your back to walls as much as possible. Don't prone in open ground, because after 200 meters or so the foliage doesn't render; someone farther out than that will have no problem shooting you in the head. Limit your exposure as much as possible by using the terrain.

Try not to be noisy without a good reason. Don't shoot unless you're confident you can get a kill, and if you are confident you can get a kill ALWAYS SHOOT. The one time you get lazy and let some fucker live because he's 300 meters away and has no idea you're there is the one time that same guy is going to blow your brains out five minutes later when you're both changing positions to follow the circle. If you DO make a bunch of noise, reposition ASAP because odds are several people heard it and are now keeping an eye in your direction if not actively hunting for you.

More than anything though, just play, play, play, and learn something from every death. If you die it's because you did something wrong, or at least could have done something better. Figure that poo poo out and try not to repeat the same mistakes.

KoB
May 1, 2009

TheFonz posted:

Who should I give my Twitch Prime Sub to?!?!?!

Food Channel.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

J posted:

If you're not using headphones: use headphones

Whenever you take fire you can swivel your head really quickly and use the change in volume in each ear to pinpoint where the fire is coming from. This is easier said than done in the heat of being blasted apart.

Learn how to think a few steps ahead. Before you cross a section of terrain ask yourself where possible snipers / ambushes could come from and move from cover to cover accordingly.

After playing more you'll hone your 'fight or flight' response and handle situations better. Sometimes when someone gets the drop on you the best thing to do is turn around and shoot back and pray you can outshoot them. Other times the best bet is to run like hell. Only experience will fill that in

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Why do people keep falling for the "drop med kit in the middle of the room" trick. They just beeline for the item and never look around.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

ughhhh posted:

Why do people keep falling for the "drop med kit in the middle of the room" trick. They just beeline for the item and never look around.

I've never met a med kit that was a trap. You can generally assume that no one has been there if any medical kits or especially pills/energy drinks are around.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Hamelekim posted:

I've never met a med kit that was a trap. You can generally assume that no one has been there if any medical kits or especially pills/energy drinks are around.

this is why it's a solid option

Martin
Jan 17, 2004

All I know in life is how to pour whiskey and run my mouth off
Dinosaur Gum
Just killed 3 people in the 5th to last cirle (p f small) by baiting them with painkillers. Got smoked just afterwards because I can't shoot for poo poo, but people go nuts for med kits and boosts and assume nothing has been looted.

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:

Martin posted:

Just killed 3 people in the 5th to last cirle (p f small) by baiting them with painkillers. Got smoked just afterwards because I can't shoot for poo poo, but people go nuts for med kits and boosts and assume nothing has been looted.

How does this even work more than once, they should be seeing the dead player's loot boxes and realizing that someone is shooting in that direction.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

TacMan posted:

How does this even work more than once, they should be seeing the dead player's loot boxes and realizing that someone is shooting in that direction.

Oh look! A loot box! There has to be good stuff in there I better check it real quick.

I murdered a guy in a stairwell at school, and got another 2 kills from guys looting the box

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I prefer poisoned energy drinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:

VulgarandStupid posted:

I prefer poisoned energy drinks.

how do you tell the poison berries from the healing ones?

• Locked thread