Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

NitroSpazzz posted:

They aren't on SA so that'll really mess with them. They're the ones that are doing fab work on my track build. Tell them Blake said hi.

Blake says HI ARE YOUR STAIRS PROTECTED!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Getting this Sparco Evo to fit into the S2000 without removing the door panel is going to be interesting. :allears: What have I done

e: bfh and it fits but I got the wrong size seatbelt extender. fml.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 10, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone have thoughts on the Sparco Sprint? Comfortable as a second seat?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Had one in my (street) Miata. It was very upright and the shoulders seemed very narrow. I still did some 3 hour drives with it but there's not much for padding. On long drives I'd bring a pillow or pad for lumbar and the seat bottom. Might not be as bad if I would have angled the mounts to tilt it back, though.

Really it feels like a hammock with tight stretched fabric on the tubes of the seat. There's padding on the bolsters and leg area though. Not sure how to describe it better than that.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 11, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I think that means spend the extra for a composite seat, thank you :)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Other people may like it better, but I bought it because it was cheap and probably wouldn't do it again. You have a nice car, buy a nice seat. :)

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Yeah, get a Momo Start. Price wise about the same and the start isn't bad to sit in. Before I trailered my car I used to drive to tracks in it and it wasn't terrible.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The Momo Start is the widest of all of the entry level seats by an inch or two. Completely composite; no steel bar reinforcement like in the Sprint.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I like my pro 2000s but everyone at track days seems to have spgs. I guess because more expensive = better

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
The sprint is awful, do not get steel tube seats.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I have a sprint 5 in the Miata, it's not bad. I need to recline it with the addition of the hans device though, it's too upright. Also find the wings a bit narrow when wearing the hans. I'm going to replace it next year, I'll live with it this year.

Car is still street driven, I've done 6 hour days in it. Not hugely comfortable after about hour 3.

Gonna spend the money on a nice composite seat. Any advice on what works well in a Miata for taller drivers? I've got a narrow waist but wideish shoulders. I'm willing to cut up the door card to make the wings fit.

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 11, 2017

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
The OMP champ R is the cheapest seat I find comfortable.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Price range? halo? Also it would be easier to just have your pants waist size and weight for sizing.

I love my Momo Lesmo One but I'm tiny af (30" waist, 145lbs and slightly broader shoulders than you'd expect) and it's 2x what we've been talking about. I'm only 5'6" but my torso is long. I only wear a 30" inseam.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 12, 2017

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Waist size is measured about 33 (I wear 31 jeans, vanity sizing is annoying as poo poo), inseam 34-36, 6ft 200lbs - narrow frame but broad shoulders. I'm under the roll bar with my helmet on, but only just.

Not looking for halo as I do street drive the car. Just track days / autocross this year, I may do a GT series at my local track next year (kind of a stepping stone between lapping and wheel to wheel http://www.calabogiemotorsports.com/calabogie-gt-challenge/) - no requirement for halo.

Prince range - I'd like to stay under $1500 CAD after tax (figure $1k USD pricing and I can make it work, gives me some room for taxes/shipping/etc.)

I'm planning on finding as many different options as possible to sit in, and then just doing whatever is necessary to get it to fit in the car.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I'm not sure what Ontario has for race shops, but I know Perry Performance in laval has a ton of race seats you can try out. Just don't sit in the display models, they get mad.

TWSS posted:

The OMP champ R is the cheapest seat I find comfortable.

I have a champ in my e36 (not sure if the R is changed from that) and it's the most comfy race seat I've sat in. But i'm short and have a 36 waist/39 hips. It's tight.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Crustashio posted:

I'm not sure what Ontario has for race shops, but I know Perry Performance in laval has a ton of race seats you can try out. Just don't sit in the display models, they get mad.

This is where I got my helmet / hans, and where I'm going to go sit in a bunch of stuff. It's a great spot with knowledgeable staff, and I typically make it out to the tripple header weekend Carl (dude who runs the shop) puts on - time attack Saturday, match 1v1 oval racing for shits Saturday evening, autocross Sunday.

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 12, 2017

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Yes I posted this in 2 threads. I'm sorry but I REALLY need help/info.

Naturally, less than a week out from track time and now is when I've got issues.

1992 Miata. NA8 (94-97) brakes. G-LOC (Carbotech) XP-10 front pads, XP-8 rear. No other mods, standard rotors. Pretty much the standard issue miata setup.

6 weeks ago I installed these pads with a new set of rotors. Amazing, like being hit by an oncoming train. Lots of noise but totally worth it. Great bite. Did 2 days with them at NJMP, no problems.

A week or so after the track I noticed that I was getting a steady squeak-squeak-squeak from the right front. Took apart calipers, sliders looked good, piston looks good, etc. Put it back together. Still squeaked.

Took it back apart again, this time noticing that when spun, the RF came to a stop much faster than the LF. Compressed piston, tried again - now it spins great. Checked sliders again, checked piston again - no binding there. Looked CAREFULLY and noticed a tiny amount of play in the wheel bearing. Ordered a bearing and threw it on a few days ago.

Now my brake feel is AWFUL. The noise is gone (both consistent and when on brakes) and so is the bite. It's not unsafe to drive on the street or anything, but I'll be at NJMP on Saturday and Sunday - even with 90whp I want my brakes back. It basically just feels like there's no friction until I really stand on it.

Been trying to get ahold of 949racing (brake vendor) with no luck since Thursday, I think they're out on an extended racing weekend so I'll update if they get back to me.

Under heavy braking, the car seems to pull left. That makes me think the RF brake is definitely the culprit. Took the brakes apart again last night, here's pics. I gave em a light scuff with sandpaper, cleaned em off with brake cleaner. No change. The two pad pics are different only in that one pic was taken in shade and one in sun to show possible glazing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/meblaise/IMG_8388_zpszdusqaui.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/meblaise/IMG_8390_zps4ervpno0.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/meblaise/IMG_8392_zpsyp215cke.jpg

Any ideas? Getting really stressed bc even if I ordered a new set of front pads ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) not sure if they'd show in time.

Edit: Both G-LOC and Carbotech suggested swapping inner/outer pads. Said there's no way to screw up the transfer layer from just commuting. Here's to hoping...

Blaise fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 12, 2017

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Check your axle nut on that side

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

PaintVagrant posted:

Check your axle nut on that side

Guess you missed that I just replaced the wheel bearing. It's right.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ah sorry, read the too fast. My buddy had almost the exact same issue this weekend at gridlife with carbotexh pads, his nut backed out.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

PaintVagrant posted:

Ah sorry, read the too fast. My buddy had almost the exact same issue this weekend at gridlife with carbotexh pads, his nut backed out.

Did it go away once he fixed it? I could back it off and retorque it to check.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Blaise posted:

Did it go away once he fixed it? I could back it off and retorque it to check.

Unfortunately it blew out his wheel bearing in the process so he called it a weekend as there wasn't a spare.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

First track day of the year coming up for me, Slowpokes at Brainerd International on July 3rd. I'm gonna be honest with you guys, I'm getting kinda tired of Brainerd. It's a fine track, but it's the only one I've ever driven. I'd like to get out to Road America or something, but my only friend who would be interested in making that trip has decided spend money on his house instead of getting a track car. I think I need to find some people around the Twin Cities to plan track days with, otherwise I might sell the Z4 and get something else for tooling around town.

We'll see how the 3rd goes, maybe it'll reignite my interest.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BIR is fun but yeah it gets old after running it a half dozen times back to back. Off the top of my head I'd say check out Gingerman, Road America and Black Hawk Farms...maybe Autobahn. They aren't as close but they're fun tracks

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Guys at NJMP I am the large brown man with a ponytail braid in a highlighter yellow volunteer shirt with a camp fanny pack. Come say hi! I'll be working scales.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Will my tires generally last longer if I remove them after a track day and store them indoors? This is opposed to leaving them on the car sitting outside. I'm getting pretty addicted to the "new tire" feel and want to preserve that for as long as possible.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Just got back from the SCCA June Sprints at Road America. Took some pictures - should I post them here or in my own thread?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

... ok... well, here! I only took my Fuji X100 so it's just stuff around the paddock I thought was cool, or sometimes technical stuff I was interested in... whatever, look at the pics or not. ;)

http://imgur.com/a/k7yvO

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Good shots (i'm biased, i have a x100t)

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

It's a great walking around camera. I (my wife) has a Nikon and I have a decent long lens for it, but if I'm not trying to get pictures of stuff on track, enh.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Any info on that two stroke flat six?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mekilljoydammit posted:

It's a great walking around camera. I (my wife) has a Nikon and I have a decent long lens for it, but if I'm not trying to get pictures of stuff on track, enh.

The cheap-rear end Fuji 50-230 is hilariously good for what you pay for one used. Works great for trackside shots... Continuous high shooting with continuous auto focus makes it so easy. (I have an XT1, I know the x100 is fixed but you can move to a 23 + xt p cheap :v: )

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 18, 2017

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

1500quidporsche posted:

Any info on that two stroke flat six?

Kohler flat 6 from a drone program. That car is run by Jason Miller who's an engineer at Kohler, and his dad was on the program originally and first adapted it to SCCA sports racers.

Off the top of my head. Actually this: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/two-strokes-genius/

BlackMK4 posted:

The cheap-rear end Fuji 50-230 is hilariously good for what you pay for one used. Works great for trackside shots... Continuous high shooting with continuous auto focus makes it so easy. (I have an XT1, I know the x100 is fixed but you can move to a 23 + xt p cheap :v: )

My long solution is a Nikon D5100 with a 70-300 - good enough for my purposes, tbh.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

puberty worked me over posted:

Will my tires generally last longer if I remove them after a track day and store them indoors? This is opposed to leaving them on the car sitting outside. I'm getting pretty addicted to the "new tire" feel and want to preserve that for as long as possible.

What tires? If you want to squeak more heat cycles out of rcomps. Air them down, put them in bags and store them somewhere climate controlled.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Arrive at track with focus RS, leave track with the idea that you should take the civic dx hatch sitting in your mother in laws and swap it. So you can arrive at next track day with the civic. What is life?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Sorry I missed everybody but KidDynamite.

Hope you guys waved as you passed me! (Yellow miata, group 2)

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Blaise posted:

Sorry I missed everybody but KidDynamite.

Hope you guys waved as you passed me! (Yellow miata, group 2)

That's ok I walked right past kid dynamite a few times but I never said hi because he was weighing cars or otherwise indisposed.

How about that red flag drill :v:

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Which car were you in?

That drill was atrocious. I'll admit it took me a sec to hit the brakes because red flag = off pace and pit in has been drilled into my head from motorcycling. But yeah. Awful. I actually missed it the 2nd time around just because I was chasing somebody and suddenly the black NSX went WAY off pace. :wtf: Then I saw it.

That being said I'm not sure if I'm OK with drills for group 2. Lotta guys are still learning lines and such. This ain't racing.

In other news, my miata is fat pig (2522lb with me and 2/3 tank). Barely cracked 1:47s, which is a full 10 seconds off SM pace.

I figure 3 seconds or so is stuff I can improve, 3 seconds in the tires, and about 3 seconds in lack of power and too much weight.

Blaise fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 19, 2017

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Almost certain they did it with you guys because 3-4 group screwed it up so horribly on Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

Almost certain they did it with you guys because 3-4 group screwed it up so horribly on Friday.

Yeah that ain't OK. By 3/4 you better know em.