Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Ginette Reno posted:

I kinda wish this was released all at once because it feels like a show that should be binge watched. Ep6 didn't feel like it was all that self contained. It felt like a pretty arbitrarily broken up hour of TV.

quote:

It was all one long script, so there was no Act 1, Act 2 – it wasn’t in a traditional television format,” MacLachlan explained. “It was literally 500 pages – plus or minus – one after the other, so nothing stopped. There was no natural pause. You couldn’t tell when the first hour ended or any of the episodes.
http://www.nme.com/news/tv/kyle-maclachlan-twin-peaks-future-seasons-2087578

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno posted:

I kinda wish this was released all at once because it feels like a show that should be binge watched. Ep6 didn't feel like it was all that self contained. It felt like a pretty arbitrarily broken up hour of TV. I still liked it of course, but dang if it didn't feel incomplete without ep7 to immediately follow it.

so far ive binge watched season 3 before watching each episode so its a fractal binge watch

its also literally the only thing im wathcing now aside from anime

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Rob Filter posted:

Did anyone notice in bullet ridden magician machine gun man land that the tails side of the coin he was flipping had the same symbol as the symbol over the house next to duggies exploding car? The line with two intersecting lines going through it? I'm not sure what that motif means yet. Perhaps sacrifice? Or addiction?

I watched it again and it just looks like the back of a regular dime. I don't think the symbol on the house necessarily means anything, its just extremely common on those kinds of homes. I live in Arizona and there are countless developments here that look exactly like Rancho Rosa and those things are all over the place, I even lived in a house that had that above the front door.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

Gatekeeper posted:

I watched it again and it just looks like the back of a regular dime. I don't think the symbol on the house necessarily means anything, its just extremely common on those kinds of homes. I live in Arizona and there are countless developments here that look exactly like Rancho Rosa and those things are all over the place, I even lived in a house that had that above the front door.

ah, rewatched, yeah the coin doesn't have that symbol on the back, it was something different. This is what happens when a non-american tries to judge american currency. Oh well!

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Nadine is gonna save the day with her poo poo shoveler

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Consummate Professional posted:

Nadine is gonna save the day with her poo poo shoveler

There is a part of me that thinks something like this will be the end of it, and I think I could be happy with that.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

She is probably really good at shoveling with all that super strength.

I really appreciate that we are getting a nice sprinkling of supernatural throughout. Like the Scooby do murder, and now the cocaine wizard. Lots of people remember Twin Peaks being about this murder being committed by a supernatural entity in an otherwise normal town, but they forget about Nadine and Coop's divining bottles. I always felt like the Black Lodge was only a tiny fraction of all the supernatural that exists in the Twin Peaks universe.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

KyloWinter posted:

This show is hot garbage.

Your opinion is valid and true. If anyone could create a TV show that encompassed the duality of being both the best TV show ever made and the biggest pile of hot garbage, it is David Lynch (and Mark Frost.)

Edit: Same to you GobiasIndustries. Hate on the Dougie bits all you want. You're right that you don't like it, as are the other people that are sick of Dougie. I disagree, but your opinions are still good, despite the nay-sayers. I just disagree.

Section 9 fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 14, 2017

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Section 9 posted:

Your opinion is valid and true. If anyone could create a TV show that encompassed the duality of being both the best TV show ever made and the biggest pile of hot garbage, it is David Lynch (and Mark Frost.)

Edit: Same to you GobiasIndustries. Hate on the Dougie bits all you want. You're right that you don't like it, as are the other people that are sick of Dougie. I disagree, but your opinions are still good, despite the nay-sayers. I just disagree.

Hey thanks! If I didn't enjoy the show so much I wouldn't bother posting about it.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
So, do you think the reason that BobCooper keeps his Microsoft Surface in a heavy locked briefcase and uses that black box that routes through Argentina(?) instead of a cell phone that it keeps the lodges from finding/interfering with him through the electricity?

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

Fyadophobic posted:

So, do you think the reason that BobCooper keeps his Microsoft Surface in a heavy locked briefcase and uses that black box that routes through Argentina(?) instead of a cell phone that it keeps the lodges from finding/interfering with him through the electricity?

Yeah, that makes sense.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
If it's a 500 page script that poo poo must be dense as gently caress to cover 18 hours. I'm sure the actual shooting script would be much bigger.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Whybird posted:

I'm still fifty-fifty on whether Coop is medically brain-damaged or just institutionalised from twenty-five years in the Black Lodge. A prisoner who's been on the inside for twenty-five years is going to have a hard job coping with life in the outside world anyway -- just imagine what it'd be like if those twenty-five years involved backward-talking midgets, faceless women who warp time in their proximity, and weird talking trees with lumps of flesh on their faces.

The show really makes it feel like the real world, to Coop, is this strange alien world where nothing makes sense, confusing things happen at random, nobody will leave him alone to figure it out, and if he does something wrong, people shout at him until he figures out what he should be doing and does it right.

My guess is he's still reeling from being back from the Lodge, like you mentioned. The impression I get of The Lodge is that it's a place outside of time. Things move backwards, sideways, up and down. It's not a place that a normal human can really get used to in any healthy way.

Being in the Lodge for that long then thrust back into the real world would be like drifting in the ocean for 25 years then having someone strap you into the seat of a car going 70 and telling you to drive.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

If it's a 500 page script that poo poo must be dense as gently caress to cover 18 hours. I'm sure the actual shooting script would be much bigger.
The second page is just "Heeeeeelllloooooooooooooooooo" but with more O's.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I found it kind of odd that the original series built up MIKE as being the one entity that BOB was afraid of, and then MIKE's physical host just kind of stops appearing. Now that we're 25 years in the future and Phillip Gerard is almost certainly dead, I wonder if we'll see MIKE possess someone new and help Cooper out with the inevitable BOB confrontation.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

PantsBandit posted:

I found it kind of odd that the original series built up MIKE as being the one entity that BOB was afraid of, and then MIKE's physical host just kind of stops appearing. Now that we're 25 years in the future and Phillip Gerard is almost certainly dead, I wonder if we'll see MIKE possess someone new and help Cooper out with the inevitable BOB confrontation.

Wha? Gerard has been in like every episode of Season 3. Other than being in the lodge, he seems fine to me. Agreed it would be cool if MIKE jumped to another host though. I always wondered if MIKE even had a physical form of his own like BOB does, given that we only ever see him as Gerard / The Arm.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Wha? Gerard has been in like every episode of Season 3. Other than being in the lodge, he seems fine to me. Agreed it would be cool if MIKE jumped to another host though. I always wondered if MIKE even had a physical form of his own like BOB does, given that we only ever see him as Gerard / The Arm.

Ok so part of that was me being dumb and assuming that Gerard was older in S1/2 than he probably was. That said, I wasn't under the impression that the "Gerard" in the Lodge was the actual Gerard, rather it's just MIKE appearing to Coop in a recognizable form. As far as I can tell, the only way into the Lodge is to die (Laura, Leland) or to go through the hole in the woods. It would be pretty hosed up if MIKE had just dragged his host into the Lodge for no reason haha.

So yeah maybe we'll see real-world Gerard at some point.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 14, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

PantsBandit posted:

Ok so part of that was me being dumb and assuming that Gerard was older in S1/2 than he probably was. That said, I wasn't under the impression that the "Gerard" in the Lodge was the actual Gerard, rather it's just MIKE appearing to Coop in a recognizable form. As far as I can tell, the only way into the Lodge is to die (Laura, Leland) or to go through the hole in the woods. It would be pretty hosed up if MIKE had just dragged his host into the Lodge for no reason haha.

So yeah maybe we'll see real-world Gerard at some point.

I'm pretty sure both BOB and MIKE can pass freely to and from the lodge with their host bodies. Leland was in the lodge in FWWM, way before he died, and we see Gerard in the black lodge all throughout the whole series. There's no indication that Gerard is dead, he probably just stopped taking his haldol and went back to full MIKE mode.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I feel like trying to assign rules or logic to anything involving the Lodge is an effort in futility. I mean, just look at TMFAP. He's a dancing dwarf, but also MIKE's arm, but also actually MIKE, but surprise now he's a tree. If he appears as a small turnip in the next episode I'll just shrug and go "okay rad".

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
We've never seen MIKE's physical form, correct?

Ausmund fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 14, 2017

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

eSporks posted:

She is probably really good at shoveling with all that super strength.

I really appreciate that we are getting a nice sprinkling of supernatural throughout. Like the Scooby do murder, and now the cocaine wizard. Lots of people remember Twin Peaks being about this murder being committed by a supernatural entity in an otherwise normal town, but they forget about Nadine and Coop's divining bottles. I always felt like the Black Lodge was only a tiny fraction of all the supernatural that exists in the Twin Peaks universe.

I don't know if the Cocaine Wizard is meant to be mystical. We'll have to see him in another context because the kid murderer was high out of his mind in that scene and I feel like we're supposed to be taking that scene as from his perspective.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't know if the Cocaine Wizard is meant to be mystical. We'll have to see him in another context because the kid murderer was high out of his mind in that scene and I feel like we're supposed to be taking that scene as from his perspective.

its twin peaks dude

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Ginette Reno posted:

Well I don't know about you but that scene was pretty magical for me. Balthazar Getty as Dennis Hopper Jr. via Henry Rollins is something I never knew I wanted more of before but now I'm going to spend as much time wondering about when he'll show up again as I do with Audrey.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ausmund posted:

We've never seen MIKE's physical form, correct?

Not really, no, but the Arm is probably a pretty good hint, since it doesn't really exist outside the Lodge. I predict that at some point in this new series MIKE / Gerard will re-merge with The Arm somehow, and it'll involve the ring. I saw it in a dream.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

It's a shame that Truman declined to reprise his role. The bromance between him and Cooper was so amazing.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

PantsBandit posted:

It's a shame that Truman declined to reprise his role. The bromance between him and Cooper was so amazing.

I assumed he was dead but no the actor was in Better Call Saul the other night

Alas

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Baloogan posted:

its twin peaks dude

It certainly wouldn't surprise me if he is just a cocaine wizard.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Capntastic posted:

Alas

That's strange, I thought the reason was he'd retired from acting.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Capntastic posted:

Alas

I don't think that was Michael Ontkean, according to IMDB he hasn't been in anything since 2011 (not counting Missing Pieces)

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Capntastic posted:

Alas
That was the guy who played Hank Jennings.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Cromulent posted:

Very few things disgust me as much as Hank Jennings sucking on a domino.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Cromulent posted:

What a fool I am

Apologies

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

PantsBandit posted:

someone strap you into the seat of a car going 70 and telling you to drive.

Jade gives two riiiiiiiiides :black101:

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Jade gives two riiiiiiiiides :black101:

Well he likes his women like his coffee...

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

Based off of how much time he spent looking for his original jacket for the role, I'm assuming it was health related :(

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/michael-ontkean-in-search-of-sheriff-truman-jacket/

That really doesn't read like someone who didn't want to play the role. Maybe they made him sick in the series because he is actually sick?

I hope I'm wrong here.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
We are staying with Mr. Jackpots for another 5 episodes.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Well he likes his women like his coffee...

Bought and paid for? What a sick weirdo.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
accept that you aren't getting normal coop until the last scene of the last episode imho

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Thom and the Heads posted:

accept that you aren't getting normal coop until the last scene of the last episode imho

How's coffee? Huh?

Howwsss coffee? Hahahaha

Howss cofffeeeeee? ahahahaha

*Naomi Watts looks in horror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Phi230 posted:

How's coffee? Huh?

Howwsss coffee? Hahahaha

Howss cofffeeeeee? ahahahaha