Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Human Grand Prix posted:

It would be difficult to overhaul a works team with a customer engine but perhaps McLaren could do it. They certainly have the resources. I'm not sure if it's enough to retain Alonso.

I don't think he's going to stay if they just get a merc engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wirth1000 posted:

He'll start his own team AlonsoGP.

Bobby Rahal did this and won the 1992 CART championship. With an (outdated) customer engine. It can be done.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

KimoaGP

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Wirth1000 posted:

He'll start his own team AlonsoGP.

Alonso buys Force India.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

I don't think he's going to stay if they just get a merc engine.

It's by far his best option.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Alonso dreams of having that 2006-spec Ferrari engine Sauber are running.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

A Ferrari hail mary.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alonso to Ferrari, Sauber Honda gently caress off and die. Everyone is happy.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Mclaren ditching Honda? Good loving riddance, they've denied us 3 years of Alonso-san kicking all kinds of butt.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Reminder the 2014 McLaren was poo also.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

wicka posted:

They did magic the last time they had a merc engine

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

A Ferrari hail mary.

If this universe has any sort of benevolent force it is what will happen.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

dentist toy box posted:

Yeah it was baaaad but that was before Our Peter.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Schumacher beat Hill with a non-works engine (in an arguably worse chassis). It can be done it's just very hard.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It only takes the best driver of all time and the entire team/organization revolving around you. No biggie.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Human Grand Prix posted:

It only takes the best driver of all time and the entire team/organization revolving around you. No biggie.

So there's a chance

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Can't wait for the 2018 McLaren Ferrari.

Edit: 2018 legendary return of McLaren Peugeot, wait they managed to get podiums with that car

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

To be fair, this is exactly Alonso's situation.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Norns posted:

Put a bag over lance strolls head forever

Thanks Norns, I almost woke up the baby I was putting to sleep laughing at this.

Also, "F1 2017: Just really poor power, and really poor reliability"

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I'd like to see McLaren-Cosworth, tbh

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Even Eddie Jordan is better in MotoGP. Everything is better in MotoGP.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I find it hard to believe Eddie Jordan is "better" in anything :colbert:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
His band is actually alright.

Also he really is some sort of paddock seer. The man has a lot of connections from his time as a shrewd team owner. I always take anything he feels confident in saying as either completely or some nugget of truth to it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

His band is actually alright.

Also he really is some sort of paddock seer. The man has a lot of connections from his time as a shrewd team owner. I always take anything he feels confident in saying as either completely or some nugget of truth to it.

Yeah, like when he says McLaren are dropping Honda for McLaren, either he's right or they're very very seriously considering it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Even Eddie Jordan is better in MotoGP. Everything is better in MotoGP.

I support anything that makes him too busy to go near an F1 podium.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

I just realized this ISN'T Vettel with a beard in some sort of ad. Wow.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FIA really needs to hire Patrick Stewart as a race steward, probably no one is more capable of ruling on jump starts.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

20 cars pitting for a stop-go on lap 3 every race would be fun for sure

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

He's so much better than Ron was.

Holy gently caress you take this back right this instant, mister

wicka posted:

To be fair, this is exactly Alonso's situation.

He's literally set up to absolutely loving dominate, and one end just cannot get their poo poo together :suicide:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I think it worked for Alonso at Renault because Flavio was in charge and he made sure that the team culture evolved around Alonso.
I don't think Alonso has that ability on his own and I don't think he'll get another WDC unless he lucks into a team that it already 'working'. He couldn't make it work at Mclaren the first time around and failed at Ferrari.
Maybe the culture at Mercedes is strong enough (they can make it work despite Hamilton), but I simply don't see Alonso as a person who can help a team progress.
Going to Ferrari is going to fail miserably. (again).

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

dentist toy box posted:

True, but they ended 5th in the constructors' championship.
They're last this year, and if there was a place behind last, they would be that.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Human Grand Prix posted:

Schumacher beat Hill with a non-works engine (in an arguably worse chassis). It can be done it's just very hard.

When? 1994? That was a works Ford.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Dudley posted:

When? 1994? That was a works Ford.

1995 was Renault and Benetton weren't a works outfit, they ended up taking Ligier's engine supply. Williams were still very much the Renault works entry.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

That lack of in season testing tho :smith:

Poor Alonso-san

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I don't think Alonso has that ability on his own and I don't think he'll get another WDC unless he lucks into a team that it already 'working'. He couldn't make it work at Mclaren the first time around and failed at Ferrari.
Maybe the culture at Mercedes is strong enough (they can make it work despite Hamilton), but I simply don't see Alonso as a person who can help a team progress.
Going to Ferrari is going to fail miserably. (again).

If he had the team backing he got initially at Ferrari while at McLaren the first time, he probably wins a WDC. If he gets a car as competitive as the McLaren was at Ferrari he probably wins a WDC.

He seems to always be in exactly the wrong place at exactly the wrong time.

Even his Renault days are sketchy. Anyone here remember "Teflonso"?

If this year's Ferrari isn't a fluke and Ferrari are really about to become competitive long-term and if Sebastien Vettel pulls a Rosberg (assuming he wins the crown this year, which is far from settled) then Alonso at Ferrari is a good choice. Otherwise, he's pretty much stuck.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Yeah, if Alonso makes it to Ferrari and they remain competitive I'd say he has a shot. If he ends up at Merc then it's essentially a given. I don't see him going to Red Bull, or them being ready for another championship, but given what Max and Dan have managed on occasion there's still a chance Alonso could do it there.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

CratSock posted:

Yeah, if Alonso makes it to Ferrari and they remain competitive I'd say he has a shot. If he ends up at Merc then it's essentially a given. I don't see him going to Red Bull, or them being ready for another championship, but given what Max and Dan have managed on occasion there's still a chance Alonso could do it there.

If Lewis is still at Merc and has a non-retarded couple of years; maybe, maybe not.

At Red Bull; he'd probably have the measure of either of them for a season or two, so it'd depend on whether Red Bull could build a competitive car. I doubt he'd go there though because Red Bull doesn't need Alonso.

Frankly, neither does Merc. Ferrari might, it'd depend how brave they are in pissing off Vettel, and how much water has passed under the bridge since he left.

For the lore nerds; can anyone think of someone who has left Ferrari acrimoniously and then come back? Exclude 50's era Fangio who would race for everybody obviously.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
kimi

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I can't believe I didn't immediately think of that. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

dentist toy box posted:

Was that the year that only Merc knew which way round the turbo was supposed to go?

• Locked thread