Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The hand management, suit/number stacking variants. Spider solitaire, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

The hand management, suit/number stacking variants. Spider solitaire, etc.

Have you ever played 52 Pickup?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Speaking of trick taking games, this looks really cool

quote:

Honshu is a map building card game set in feudal Japan. Players are lords and ladies of Noble houses seeking new lands and opportunities for fame and fortune.

One game of Honshu lasts 12 rounds, and each round is divided into two phases. First, Map cards are played in a trick and the player who played the highest value card gets to pick first from those played. Then the players use the Map cards picked to expand their personal maps. Each player must expand their personal maps to maximize their scoring possibilities.

Manipulating your position in the player order is crucial for mastering Honshu.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm leafing through my big book of solitaire games and they're all (as expected) tableau and column builders. Some of them don't even technically count as games, like Clocks. Make 13 piles, 12 in circle like a clock, and 1 in the middle. Flip the top of the middle deck, and place it next to a pile based on what you drew: Ace is 1, Queen is 12, King is middle. Flip the next card of the pile you laid the last card next to and repeat. If you do this and flip all the cards, you win!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

Are there any standard deck solo games that aren't solitaire-esque?

I enjoy Auld Lang Syne
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auld_Lang_Syne_(solitaire)

atholbrose posted:

One of the best investments I've ever made, game-wise, was David Parlett's The Penguin Book of Card Games. Some of our favorite games have been random discoveries from there, and it's just fascinating to read as well. That's where I learned to play 500.

Card game compilations are great. I collect game rules compilations and have like 6 different version of Hoyles printed from the 1950s to the 2000s.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Bottom Liner posted:

Honshu is great. I picked up an early copy brought back from Essen last year, and was one of my most played smaller games over the holidays. My company was actually making a play to be the US publisher before Renegade beat us to it. :argh:

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Bottom Liner posted:

I played this and it's kinda meh. The higher numbered cards are generally straight up better, and they also let you get first pick of the cards played. Maybe there's more to it that I wasn't seeing, but I didn't dig it.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

homullus posted:

Have you ever played 52 Pickup?

Sounds like a streamlined Euro version of Arkham Horror.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

My favorite standard deck game: https://www.pagat.com/invented/ace_of_death.html

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

EvilChameleon posted:

I played this and it's kinda meh. The higher numbered cards are generally straight up better, and they also let you get first pick of the cards played. Maybe there's more to it that I wasn't seeing, but I didn't dig it.

Did you miss the part that you can play cubes with your card to increase it by 60?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Escape the Room Dr Gravelys Retreat was pretty great apart from one puzzle piece missing completely from my copy.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I just got Pax Renaissance and its Xpack from kick starting BIOS Genesis + Megafauna 2nd Edition.

How do I learn and teach this and trick my wife and friends to actually play it with me?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

the panacea posted:

I just got Pax Renaissance and its Xpack from kick starting BIOS Genesis + Megafauna 2nd Edition.

How do I learn and teach this and trick my wife and friends to actually play it with me?
I suggest a clockwork orange-type setup.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

Durendal posted:

Did you miss the part that you can play cubes with your card to increase it by 60?

Nah, I know that, but it doesn't seem to make up for the fact that low number cards are strictly worse.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

EvilChameleon posted:

Nah, I know that, but it doesn't seem to make up for the fact that low number cards are strictly worse.

Low number cards are the only cards that have cubes/factories and little to no wasted space.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Got Pandemic: Legacy S1 in the mail today and yooooo this is going to be something. I read the non-spoiler stuff (stuff that says "open before playing," plus the rulebook, the characters and the sticker sheet) and I'm kind of mad at how excited I am about this. On the other hand, I placed the box 8 sticker in slightly the wrong place, so basically I've already cheated and ruined everything. gently caress! I wonder how easy/hard it is to open that box.

Tips for a group that's already familiar with the original Pandemic?

e: Weeks ago I was spoiled on the zombies and I'm wondering how I should go about convincing the other players in my group not to name one of these diseases "zombies" without spreading the spoilers.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 14, 2017

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ragnar34 posted:

e: Weeks ago I was spoiled on the zombies and I'm wondering how I should go about convincing the other players in my group not to name one of these diseases "zombies" without spreading the spoilers.

Why bother? Wouldn't it be more entertaining all around if one of them did?

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

Durendal posted:

Low number cards are the only cards that have cubes/factories and little to no wasted space.

My friend does reviews and maybe he got sent an early copy where this was not the case. I'd give it another shot, but it isn't really my cup of tea either way.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ragnar34 posted:

I'll spoiler these for players who want to go in totally blind, but these are pre-January tips:

-You get to upgrade even if you lose a game.
-You can only give a disease a positive mutation if you eradicated it. Though if you did, you can give it both of your upgrades if you want, sequentially.
-You can only give upgrades to characters you played that game.
-Do not open anything unless instructed to do so. The instructions to open the boxes are in a bright yellow box, just like the one you stick on box 8 before you play. Instructions to open the doors are always in a white circle.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

SettingSun posted:

I'll spoiler these for players who want to go in totally blind, but these are pre-January tips:

-You can only give a disease a positive mutation if you eradicated it. Though if you did, you can give it both of your upgrades if you want, sequentially.
-Do not open anything unless instructed to do so. The instructions to open the boxes are in a bright yellow box, just like the one you stick on box 8 before you play. Instructions to open the doors are always in a white circle.

I'm not sure this is a spoiler but out of an abundance of caution. It is a game component thing.

Make sure you completely scratch off the scratch cards!!

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 14, 2017

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

SettingSun posted:

these are rules, not spoilers. so unless someone is looking to know literally nothing about Pandemic Legacy, mouseover these with safety.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Are there any standard deck solo games that aren't solitaire-esque?

Deck Siege is a castle defense themed game, play various combinations to fight the approaching hordes / rebuild your castle. Also requires a 1-page printout and writing implement, this may disqualify it? In practice many card games are played with written score though.

Selfie Poker is a Chinese Poker solitaire game that was made for an app, but playable with a real deck as well.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Baller Ina posted:

these are rules, not spoilers. so unless someone is looking to know literally nothing about Pandemic Legacy, mouseover these with safety.

I'm with you but there's always one guy who says "dude, spoiler that poo poo" so I prefer to be safe than sorry.

Spoilers for a board game...what a time to be alive.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

homullus posted:

Why bother? Wouldn't it be more entertaining all around if one of them did?

You make a compelling point.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Make sure you completely scratch off the scratch cards!!

I have no idea what this means and I'm not going to see my group until Saturday so we can all find out and now I'm livid. That's helpful though.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Huh, I almost got Nyet! at Gen Con last year when Iello was doing a deal on their mini games. Maybe I'll scoop it up this year.

I'm trying not to buy anything else til Gen Con now. Can't wait to spend all my :10bux: again in 2 months.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Man, this is kinda depressing to read:

quote:

Permanent Closure of the Meeplemart Game Space
by Meeplemart Incorporated | Thursday, June 01, 2017 | 0 comment(s)

After discovering the recent theft of $500+ of store terrain from the store game space and the past theft and destruction of $1000's of terrain. Meeplemart has decided to permanently close the game space. Unfortunately, it no longer makes sense to spend $1000's subsidizing a space where users of the space are continuously abusing and stealing from it.

We understand that a number of great customers will be effected by this decision and it is an unfortunate that the actions of a few are ruining it for everyone else. This was a very difficult decision to make and not taken lightly, however we believe this is the right decision for Meeplemart at this time.

All events are cancelled and any entrance fees will be refunded in full. If you have paid for any upcoming events, please email info@meeplemart.com for your refund.

Thank you all for your understanding.
This is one of the most depressing days of owning Meeplemart.

Steve

This kinda poo poo must be infuriating/disheartening as a hobby shop/small business owner.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
That sucks.

Maybe the community is bigger and/or less consistent wherever that is, but at my local store, if someone tried to steal hundreds of dollars worth of stuff, they'd be reported by about a dozen other gamers. Even if they somehow got away unnoticed, people would probably have a good idea who it was.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

FulsomFrank posted:

This kinda poo poo must be infuriating/disheartening as a hobby shop/small business owner.

It absolutely loving is. We've had to replace our tables and terrain a number of times and it sucks rear end. Most new pieces of terrain or game boards are lucky to last a couple weeks before someone fucks it up.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Ragnar34 posted:

I had the same question and apparently a lot of people miss the first post-setup legacy deck card. After setup you should apparently land on a Stop card instructing you to place the reminder token somewhere.

Also, the order of setup steps matters sometimes so follow the numbers (step 4 is printed to the opposite side of the page from 1-3). Pre-January the practical effect of this is to let you respond to the initial cube placement.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

PerniciousKnid posted:

I had the same question and apparently a lot of people miss the first post-setup legacy deck card. After setup you should apparently land on a Stop card instructing you to place the reminder token somewhere.

Also, the order of setup steps matters sometimes so follow the numbers (step 4 is printed to the opposite side of the page from 1-3). Pre-January the practical effect of this is to let you respond to the initial cube placement.

Gonna expand on that last point.

Do it in order. Every time. Read each step carefully every time. I did that and we avoided multiple problems through the campaign cause I did.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Can somebody expand on the pre-game PL conditions? We just did our first game and I think we did it right, but I don't remember anything in the setup that would let you respond to initial cube placement?

First thing I remember is flipping the legacy deck card after our second epidemic...

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Crackbone posted:

Can somebody expand on the pre-game PL conditions? We just did our first game and I think we did it right, but I don't remember anything in the setup that would let you respond to initial cube placement?

First thing I remember is flipping the legacy deck card after our second epidemic...

It's just the ordering. You place cubes before you choose roles. So, maybe you want one role vs another based on cube placement.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I'm finally starting Gloomhaven today. We're doing a 3 person tonight, next week we will expand to 4 people. Is there any issue with adding a person a mission in?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

OgreNoah posted:

I'm finally starting Gloomhaven today. We're doing a 3 person tonight, next week we will expand to 4 people. Is there any issue with adding a person a mission in?

Im jealous. Got a second kickstarter update and shipping wont be til September now :smith:

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

OgreNoah posted:

From our experience with the mini-campaign, no. Monsters are placed according to the number of players, so you'll just add more/upgrade them with 4 people. Scenario levels are determined by (I believe) average player level divided by 2, so even if you get ahead it should balance out. I think there's even one or two groups here who talked about having 5 people in their campaign and rotated a person out every time.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I have 8 people in my campaign and everything is fine. Occasionally we have someone who's significantly under-levelled, but they still usually manage just fine. It has happened exactly once in about 25 sessions that someone was... not having that much fun, because they were forced out early (because they lost too many cards to damage). Don't worry about it and just go with the flow and have fun because Gloomhaven owns :).

Mostly unrelated note, after you calculate the scenario level, just go one level higher. I get that it's more fun to win a scenario than not win, but they tend to be too easy and it's more engaging and satisfying when you're facing an actual challenge. You should still win a lot more than you're losing. A notable exception to this is scenario 26, which just felt way more difficult than anything else we've played so far.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

FulsomFrank posted:

Man, this is kinda depressing to read:

I remember reading something on a game store's blog of a dude who mailed in $500 of cash and a handwritten apology note. I can't find the blog post, so I'm going to paraphrase.

The note said something like "when I was a young and dumb teenager 10 years ago, I adored your store and spent a lot of time there playing games and reading comics. I spent all the time I could there, and whenever I'd get birthday money or allowance I'd spend it all there. I'm also ashamed to admit that I shoplifted stuff from there on multiple occasions, and I want to apologize and make restitution for the value of the stuff I took while thanking you for running the store and shaping my lifelong love of games and comics."

I think any store owner would be happy to ultimately get a note like that, but on the other hand some shoplifters are just dirtbags.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
So long we are talking rule based pre-January spoilers:

(Pre-January Pandemic Legacy advice) Make sure that when you open something, you are certain if you are supposed to open one of the little flat doors with numbers and letters or one of the large packages. For some inexcusable reason , some of the doors are also numbered 1 through 8. We accidentally opened a box early and got a spoiler. In hindsight, it will say something particular when you are supposed to open a package over a door, though I admit I don't remember the specific terminology and the game is not kept at my place so I can't look it up.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Hey, The Roll Player Expansion kickstarter is in it's last day and I wanted to ask the thread's opinions on it and the full game? If it worth getting, is the main game good enough to warrant the two shipment option?

I think this was talked about before, but I can't seem to find it in the thread.

EDIT: Whoops, this isn't the Kickstarter thread. Still, if anyone wanted to talk about Roll Player I'd appreciate it.

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terebikun
May 27, 2016
I wonder if dumb Midwestern house rules are why I didn't really like playing Euchre as taught to me by my yooper gf. Actually, has anyone played the game Grit? I played a bunch of it while traveling years ago, all you need is a normal deck of cards, most of which you don't use. I remember liking it a lot, even if it's a little annoying to set up.

Also I played Cthulhu Wars for the first time, and liked it a lot. I think it might be a good game you guys.

terebikun fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 15, 2017