Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Tamari is gluten free, iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It is but it's the only one I can think of. Miso's been around in the US long enough that there might be locally made no wheat ones though. That and chilies is not the same as doubanjiang at all but it'd probably still be good.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

It is but it's the only one I can think of. Miso's been around in the US long enough that there might be locally made no wheat ones though. That and chilies is not the same as doubanjiang at all but it'd probably still be good.

There are quite a few companies in the US making miso with brown rice, etc... I know Miso Master and South River Miso both make GF options.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

emotive posted:

There are quite a few companies in the US making miso with brown rice, etc... I know Miso Master and South River Miso both make GF options.

Kikkoman makes a GF soy as well, but most of the tamari's I've tried have been pretty watery and flat in flavor.

I will look for some GF miso and see about blending to taste, but I may also just try fermenting my own because I regularly do that sort of thing anyway. I was just trying to avoid one more thing taking up shelf space, but when I mentioned it (and even making soy sauce and miso in the backyard), my wife didn't even blink, so I may end up just doing that anyway. I just need to get it started right away to take advantage of the summer sun.

This all started because I made http://www.chinasichuanfood.com/boiled-fish-sichuan/ , it was pretty amazing with some good funk, and I wanted to make it for other people too.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I'm getting a little bored with Kenji's mapo dofu recipe and want to play the field a little bit, anybody want to vouch for a good one?

Edit: Also a killer twice cooked pork recipe would be appreciated.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 15, 2017

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I like this twice cooked pork http://thewoksoflife.com/2014/11/twice-cooked-pork/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

This recipe came out identical to what you get here in Sichuan: http://themalaproject.com/chengdu-challenge-8-twice-cooked-pork-hui-guo-rou/

Tips:

Don't be shy with using a lot of oil if you're going for authentic.

Don't add too much of the sauce, it can be overpowering. You want enough to just coat everything when mixed with the oil.

Add chili peppers. Get a bunch of green chilies and cook them in a dry pan first, until the skin starts getting crispy and blackened, add those at the end.

You can't go wrong with adding more douchi imo.

Also it needs garlic I'm not sure why that was left out. Ginger is optional. Both are usually added in big slices here, not minced.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 16, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Also I looked through the doubanjiang at the store earlier, all had wheat. Pixian is just down the road from here so you're probably not going to have a greater variety than I do.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Also I looked through the doubanjiang at the store earlier, all had wheat. Pixian is just down the road from here so you're probably not going to have a greater variety than I do.

Thanks for taking a look. I've looked at a couple different places including an Asian grocery this week. I didn't have time to make it to Chinatown, but if you can't find it near the source, there's no way I'm going to find a GF variety in the US.

Guess I'll just make my own. It seems to be about as difficult as making saurkraut or rice wine. So mostly it just takes time and the right temp/humidity for the first inoculation portion. I shall report back in 3-4 months when it is ready for consumption.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I got black garlic on amazon to make this: https://norecipes.com/triple-garlic-noodles

I should have a decent amount extra after. Ideas??

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Anyone have any good recipes for mock dock? I had some in a spring roll recently and loved it, and now I'm wondering what else I can use it in.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's an expensive dish, generally you'll need around 40x4ft of 2x4 planks, 4x4s for framing. You can skip the piles for mock dock of course though.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Arglebargle III posted:

It's an expensive dish, generally you'll need around 40x4ft of 2x4 planks, 4x4s for framing. You can skip the piles for mock dock of course though.

This gave me a much-needed chuckle, thanks.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Laocius posted:

mock dock

Dammit, I meant "duck."

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I got black garlic on amazon to make this: https://norecipes.com/triple-garlic-noodles

I should have a decent amount extra after. Ideas??

Back it up to where you bought black garlic

I an interest

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Back it up to where you bought black garlic

I an interest

Make your own, fool.

manny kaltz
Oct 16, 2011

What?...
I'm trying to follow a recipe that uses Shaoxing wine (Sesame oil chicken) and I ended up buying something with 'Shaoxing Cooking Wine' on the label rather than just Shaoxing wine.

This cooking wine contains salt, and I was wondering if I had bought the wrong bottle to use in the recipe? (Apologies if this is an obvious question, but I've tried googling and I'm finding the results I'm getting to be confusing)

@ Grand Fromage: Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

manny kaltz fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 9, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yes, it's not supposed to have salt in it. It may still be okay if you're careful with the other salt.

Sandtrout Catsuit
Feb 15, 2008

They were all over his body now. He could feel the pulse of his blood against the living membrane.
I'm so glad this thread came back to life!

I just bought a house with an outdoor gas line and I've been contemplating wok burners. How many BTUs is reasonable? Those 200,000 BTU/hr crab cookers look insane and I'm worried I'll burn my face off, but these http://outdoorstirfry.com/?page_id=321#EF13LN50WG are only around 23,000 BTU/hr which isn't much hotter than a conventional stove.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I use a 185,000 BTU turkey fryer and besides the singed arm hairs its perfect.

Junji Eat More
Oct 22, 2005

You don't know it, but you are full of stahs
If all the things labeled 'Shaoxing Wine' available to you are salted, most sources seem to say you can use a pale dry sherry as a substitute.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Yeah pretty much every recipe in my database that calls for it lists dry sherry as an alternative. I've made most of them both ways at one point or another and it works just fine.

Laocius posted:

Anyone have any good recipes for mock dock? I had some in a spring roll recently and loved it, and now I'm wondering what else I can use it in.

Not Chinese, but this Vietnamese-inspired Lemongrass Noodle Bowl with Mock Duck is drat good.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
made kenji's xlb tonight. A+ would make again

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Those are beautiful.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Ya that's some fancy dumpling folding there.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
wife folded them after 2 horrible attempts by me. we just watched the first YouTube video that came up for "folding soup dumplings" it was set to some bad techno

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Made Mapo Tofu again tonight, it's one of my favorites, but I hadn't been able to find a chili oil that was hot enough to reaaally get the "Ma La" flavor....until now

Found this stuff at a Taiwanese grocery nearby:

It's almost...too hot. Perfect.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Yo what do I do with this stuff?

Also I bought a shitton of Pixian doubanjiang so it would be cool to have some more recipes to use it in (I mostly make a ton of fish fragrant eggplant). Bonus points if they're vegetarian/vegan already because I'm vegan, although if they're meat recipes I can always try to figure out a substitute.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Eat it with zhou

Chop it up and use it in dan dan mian

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Yo what do I do with this stuff?

Use it as a topping when you want some different texture. I see it fairly often on top of rice noodle soups here, but you could also throw it on cold noodle salads, minced meat/mushroom over rice, etc.

Also like interrodactyl said you can chop them up and use them in dan dan mian, or add them to dumpling/bun filling. I did a thing once where I did an "asian style" deviled egg with miso and kewpie in the egg mixture and these stems chopped up with some other chopped up homemade pickles as a relish substitute, and it wasn't bad.

poo poo throw them on a sandwich/burger as a topping.

Junji Eat More
Oct 22, 2005

You don't know it, but you are full of stahs
Dan dan noodles or hot and sour tofu would use that and both are vegan!

I'll be honest, I bought ya cai since a lot of recipes called for it, but I think any readily available pickled vegetable provides a similar experience - they're there to add crisp texture to otherwise mushy dishes. I find their taste oddly unpleasant.

I generally substitute either pickled red onions or pickled jalapenos, depending on if I want heat or not.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Also I bought a shitton of Pixian doubanjiang so it would be cool to have some more recipes to use it in (I mostly make a ton of fish fragrant eggplant). Bonus points if they're vegetarian/vegan already because I'm vegan, although if they're meat recipes I can always try to figure out a substitute.

Serious Eats has a really good vegan mapo tofu recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/02/the-best-vegan-mapo-tofu-recipe.html

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Jhet posted:

Has anyone ever run across Pixian/Sichuan doubanjiang or douchi that doesn't contain wheat as an ingredient? I know that douchi is going to be more impossible to find, but even all the doubanjiang I can find contains wheat flour as an ingredient as well. Having to use gluten free soy sauce alternatives already makes cooking for my celiac family member more difficult to get the flavor I want.

I have seen the suggestions that there's so little wheat in these things that most people will be fine eating soy sauce and the like, but it's not my digestive system I'm playing with here. I guess my last alternative is trying to ferment them myself, but I already have a lot of cooking adjacent projects I'm trying to avoid one more.

Is this any good? Anyone?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Anyone got some good and easy to make recipes for steamed Bao? I've had surprisingly little luck searching around the internet for good fillings, or even recipes for dough that have proper weighted measurements.

A local place here has some I love that are referred to as "Spicy Beef and Pork Steamed Bao", on the menu here if it helps: https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/jds...source=(direct)
I'd love to make something like that at home if possible.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^^ The one on the right is Gluten Free at least, but I'm going down the route of making my own doubanjiang. I just have to get started. It's actually rather infuriating, because the wheat flour is used primarily for mixing with the koji and then spreading on the broad beans to begin the fermentation. Considering it's the same bacteria that's used for saccarification in sake making, you can easily get away with using a starchy rice flour to give it a way to reproduce quickly. The hardest part of the whole process is making sure you have proper temp control for about a day between 30-36C (86-96F).

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Anyone got some good and easy to make recipes for steamed Bao? I've had surprisingly little luck searching around the internet for good fillings, or even recipes for dough that have proper weighted measurements.

A local place here has some I love that are referred to as "Spicy Beef and Pork Steamed Bao", on the menu here if it helps: https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/jds...source=(direct)
I'd love to make something like that at home if possible.

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Home_Baked_Char_Siu_Bao_(Hum_Bao)

There's actually a decent recipe on the GWS wiki. I adjust the taste of the sauce, and you can see at the very bottom instructions from someone who steamed them instead. Bascially just make a filling with a thick sauce, and steam. No mass measurements, but you can convert fairly well. I tone down the sugar by about half in the dough because I just don't have a sweet tooth.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 27, 2017

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Jhet posted:

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Home_Baked_Char_Siu_Bao_(Hum_Bao)

There's actually a decent recipe on the GWS wiki. I adjust the taste of the sauce, and you can see at the very bottom instructions from someone who steamed them instead. Bascially just make a filling with a thick sauce, and steam. No mass measurements, but you can convert fairly well. I tone down the sugar by about half in the dough because I just don't have a sweet tooth.

Alright that looks pretty good, only missing the pork to make it too.

7 and a half tablespoons of oil for the dough huh? That sounds like a lot but I'll give it a spin.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Jhet posted:

^^ The one on the right is Gluten Free at least, but I'm going down the route of making my own doubanjiang. I just have to get started. It's actually rather infuriating, because the wheat flour is used primarily for mixing with the koji and then spreading on the broad beans to begin the fermentation. Considering it's the same bacteria that's used for saccarification in sake making, you can easily get away with using a starchy rice flour to give it a way to reproduce quickly. The hardest part of the whole process is making sure you have proper temp control for about a day between 30-36C (86-96F).

What recipe are you using? I'm interested in making a big pot of doubanjiang considering I throw that poo poo on everything.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jeoh posted:

What recipe are you using? I'm interested in making a big pot of doubanjiang considering I throw that poo poo on everything.

I tend to read a bunch of recipes and then pick and choose which parts I'm going to use in my process. That said, I'm looking at the method here http://www.chinasichuanfood.com/doubanjiang/ and sort of collecting bits and pieces of different recipes for my ingredients list. The primary difference is that mine will be GF in all steps and I may end up culturing the bought koji on a GF medium before using in the fermentation process. I may not though, it's 10g and the people who would be eating it while celiac, won't have a reaction to such a possibly miniscule amount in a large batch. Actual ratios of broad beans to spices/chili will probably vary from that recipe above to suit my tastes.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Jhet posted:

I tend to read a bunch of recipes and then pick and choose which parts I'm going to use in my process. That said, I'm looking at the method here http://www.chinasichuanfood.com/doubanjiang/ and sort of collecting bits and pieces of different recipes for my ingredients list. The primary difference is that mine will be GF in all steps and I may end up culturing the bought koji on a GF medium before using in the fermentation process. I may not though, it's 10g and the people who would be eating it while celiac, won't have a reaction to such a possibly miniscule amount in a large batch. Actual ratios of broad beans to spices/chili will probably vary from that recipe above to suit my tastes.

That looks great and not too hard to make. Time to get some pots to experiment with different peppers and ingredients. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Jhet posted:

Oh yeah, I ended up making this one and it turned out great! Well, mostly, actually forming the Bao was a bit of a learning process as the dough was different from others I've worked with. So a few got messed up along the way, dough too thick, too thin, sauce touched the side so it won't stick closed, ran out of filling with a few left to fill, etc. But they tasted great so that's a huge improvement :v:

One question about it though, mine ended up really cavernous, this was one of the better ones in that regard:

Many others were much more exaggerated than that. Is that pretty normal? Or can I improve that somehow? It just seems a bit sad to have such a huge amount of empty space not filled with delicious pig.
I was thinking maybe I let them sit too long before putting them in the oven?

Also might be worth a mention is that it's hot and humid around here, it was probably something like 90F and ~95% humidity outside. I'm pretty new to any sort of breadmaking but I've heard that can have an impact on rise times and such?