Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Someone at Capcom has got to be having a really rough week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Working at capcom has got to be a Jonestown esque undertaking

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
capcom, localize Monster Hunter Xrd: Reloaded please

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Monster may Hunter

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I for one can't wait for the new Monster Hunter World: The Video Game starring Chris Pratt.

Meldonox posted:

Someone at Capcom has got to be having a really rough week.

okay but where's MHXX?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I'd play a monster Hunter where you could be Chris Pratt

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Your Computer posted:

I for one can't wait for the new Monster Hunter World: The Video Game starring Chris Pratt.

okay but where's MHXX?

Chris Pratt would be good, shoulda said starring Tom Cruise.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zelder posted:

they had one of their big name fight game designers from the early '00s working on loving instruction manuals until he jumped ship to another studio(the kof team, i wanna say)

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

also dauntless sent out an email today about founder pack alpha access in august. lol, totally not a coincidence

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I would like Chris Pratt armor Palico DLC.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I like the very next tweet from Capcom.

On behalf of all of us at Capcom, please allow us to twist the knife.

Your Computer posted:

okay but where's MHXX?

MHXX died on the way back to it's home planet.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The people whining about changes in this thread sound like the bitter Japanese players that hate every new idea Monster Hunter brings from the aerial attacks, mounting and Hunter Arts.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I will grudgingly accept the removal of potion flexing, but they better not make attacks dodge-cancellable or some poo poo.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Who's willing to be there'll be QTEs

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Your Computer posted:

Who's willing to be there'll be QTEs

yeah, MH4 is gonna be a disaster. mounting is a mess

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

ChibiSoma posted:

Above the strangely timed and worded clarification post, this really makes me think we're getting XX eventually.

Did you like, forget you toxxed yourself over XX not getting ported or something

Don't get me wrong, I want XX as much as anyone but for a person willing to go as far as betting their account on it not coming out you seem strangely excited about it, uh, coming out

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
I've been getting hyped for the possibility for XX here in the states and now this? :sigh:

I can only hope that World doesn't suck rear end.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
You could go even further and hope that... it's good

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Funkmaster General posted:

One of the PR dudes already said cookimg music is in, also for the record so are palicoes.

Just gonna quote this on this page since it seems to have gotten overlooked.

Honestly at this point I don't see XX not coming over still; the official statement validates my feelings pretty well I think.

Regarding World the Facebook page just published splash art for the Great Sword. Looks pretty much like any of the splash art for 4th gen.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Squidtentacle posted:

Just gonna quote this on this page since it seems to have gotten overlooked.

Honestly at this point I don't see XX not coming over still; the official statement validates my feelings pretty well I think.

Regarding World the Facebook page just published splash art for the Great Sword. Looks pretty much like any of the splash art for 4th gen.

The difference is that this is in-game on not just for prerendered cutscenes.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Truly the pain of being a modern day Cassandra is great. On the one hand I get to be smug about dumb predictions on the internet, on the other I have to play MHXX in Japanese which will be MILDLY INCONVENIENT :argh:! I told y'all Capcom was crazy though!

As far as MH:W is concerned, I was pretty meh on it at first. It looked scarily like the Monster Hunter Capcom thinks I want (I in this case being a western gamer) rather than the Monster Hunter I (personally) actually want. However, now that I've read some overviews of the gameplay demos and some interviews with the devs, I'm extremely hyped for it. It sounds like they are just trying to realize the vision they first had back in the MH1 days, when Monster Hunter was really presented as this survivalist dinosaur-hunter kind of thing. That was what really got me into MH back then, the realistic monster designs, the verdant prehistoric-style world, etc. I grew to love the core gameplay loop and the wacky MH humor and all that and I hope they don't abandon any of it (and it sounds like they aren't from what I've read so far), but moving towards that more "realistic" direction can only be a good thing in my book.

Not that I didn't love the over-the-top anime styles of X/XX, I just wouldn't want it to go much farther than that. A big part of the reason I detest Frontier is that a lot of the monster and equipment designs are just ridiculous looking, covered in brightly colored spikes and spewing out Generic Anime Energy Blasts (See: Unknown Rathian). I really prefer the more subdued style of newer monsters like Deviljho or Gore Magala, who are still pretty ridiculous but are much more true to the setting (obviously subjective).

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Trailer looked terrible to me but after hearing more hands-on stuff I'm feeling a lot better about it and am actually excited.

My Nightmare scenario was multiplayer turning into everybody grappling onto the monster and causing it to flail constantly but interviews have basically clarified that you can only grapple onto specific objects and what looked like grappling directly to the monster in the trailer was actually grappling to the vines. I mean, I guess players constantly trying to mount could still be just as much of a concern as always, but so long as it's not suddenly more of a concern I'm fine enough with it.

From what people have been reporting potion drinking still takes a while only now you can move around while doing it (slowly) and the majority of the 'takes a while' isn't a flex animation. I will miss it and all of its stupidity so hopefully it's a customization option or something, but if not oh well. If that's the price I pay for improved models, AI, real controllers with rumble, PC, mostly new monsters again and everything else then so be it.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Zelder posted:

Capcom's CEO, COO, and the executive producer of the Monster Hunter are blood related. The movie, Resident Evil Vendetta, was directed by Takanori Tsujimoto, son of the CEO/brother of the COO and Monster Hunter producer. To move up in the company, you have to be the CEO's son or marry into the family. It's why we've seen so much turnover in staff over the past decade since upward mobility is very difficult in the company. Or maybe the CEO's family is super talented and people like Shinji Mikami are bad at their jobs.

A lot of Japanese companies tend to be dynastic. It's part of the reason why the late Satoru Iwata becoming CEO of Nintendo was so unusual.

Lemonpieman
Jan 18, 2010
The capcom stream is about to have some MHW devs on it. They're supposed "Expand on their vision for the game", whatever that entails.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Where's MHXX

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Tender Bender posted:

Where's MHXX

Japan, where its staying. :(

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Monster Hunter: World isn't open world, it has separate maps but those maps won't have load zones within them. Boo.

Lemonpieman
Jan 18, 2010
The devs said that the machine gun in the trailer was a special ammo for the heavy bowgun and not just the default attack. They also said they are trying to make the bowguns more accessible in general.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

Monster Hunter: World isn't open world, it has separate maps but those maps won't have load zones within them. Boo.

Its the same as previous MHs have been, you just go through some vines or under a water thing instead of seeing a loading screen. Watch the trailer again, its a pretty transparent zone transition.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lemonpieman posted:

The devs said that the machine gun in the trailer was a special ammo for the heavy bowgun and not just the default attack. They also said they are trying to make the bowguns more accessible in general.

The only thing that isnt accessible is needing to get ammo, so I hope that's the change and not the playstyle

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bombadilillo posted:

Its the same as previous MHs have been, you just go through some vines or under a water thing instead of seeing a loading screen. Watch the trailer again, its a pretty transparent zone transition.

The devs literally just said there's no load zones within maps so you can't just go through one to escape the monster. It could be doing streamless loading if the maps are big enough but they might not be to warrant that.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

isn't having a dual stick controller enough to make it more accessible compared to the claw aiming shenanigans on the 3DS

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Zmej posted:

isn't having a dual stick controller enough to make it more accessible compared to the claw aiming shenanigans on the 3DS

When most big publishers and devs say accessible, they really mean marketable.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I pray every night before I go to bed that they get rid of the heat gauge on gunlance. maybe this "marketability" will be the impetus

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Zmej posted:

Still used target lock on the Wii U version cause it was super useful

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Zmej posted:

I pray every night before I go to bed that they get rid of the heat gauge on gunlance. maybe this "marketability" will be the impetus

no heat gauge yes ammo plz

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

AttackBacon posted:

Truly the pain of being a modern day Cassandra is great. On the one hand I get to be smug about dumb predictions on the internet, on the other I have to play MHXX in Japanese which will be MILDLY INCONVENIENT :argh:! I told y'all Capcom was crazy though!

As far as MH:W is concerned, I was pretty meh on it at first. It looked scarily like the Monster Hunter Capcom thinks I want (I in this case being a western gamer) rather than the Monster Hunter I (personally) actually want. However, now that I've read some overviews of the gameplay demos and some interviews with the devs, I'm extremely hyped for it. It sounds like they are just trying to realize the vision they first had back in the MH1 days, when Monster Hunter was really presented as this survivalist dinosaur-hunter kind of thing. That was what really got me into MH back then, the realistic monster designs, the verdant prehistoric-style world, etc. I grew to love the core gameplay loop and the wacky MH humor and all that and I hope they don't abandon any of it (and it sounds like they aren't from what I've read so far), but moving towards that more "realistic" direction can only be a good thing in my book.
Thanks for putting this into words. I played MH1 for the first time long after the servers went down, and that's what got me into the series. It really did feel more like Dinosaur Hunter than Monster Hunter, especially since a lot of the weirder stuff was more late game or in some cases online-only.
I was looking for that prehistoric feeling, but I didn't know when I picked it up that the game was going to be chopped up into what basically amounted to "levels". I thought it'd be a world you ran around and tracked and hunted monsters in, and instead it was a bunch of levels that monsters were pre-placed into at certain points, and then when you kill them they pull you back out of the level and you can go to another. It ends up being a pretty fun loop but it wasn't what I was expecting at all, and getting over my (admittedly quite unfounded) assumptions about the series let me learn to enjoy it over time.
World intrigues me because it seems like they're willing to try new things in a fundamental way I haven't seen in this series since maybe ever. Whether it ends up great or crashes and burns, I'm at least pleased to see them changing it up, even if only a little bit.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

The devs literally just said there's no load zones within maps so you can't just go through one to escape the monster. It could be doing streamless loading if the maps are big enough but they might not be to warrant that.

Yeah, I literally said, the transitions are in game an not loading. Are you not understanding? Its a glorified hallway background load that the monster can chase you though.

They said each area is 2.5 times the size they used to be. It still going to be split into areas.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 15, 2017

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Countblanc posted:

The only thing that isnt accessible is needing to get ammo, so I hope that's the change and not the playstyle

Eh, that's arguable. They're really clumsy to use when you're first learning them, as opposed to many weapons that are fairly simple to use at an entry level. Dual swords, switch axe, SnS...there are plenty of weapons that you can take to your first Great Jaggi and just kinda mash your face into him for a win.

The controls on the 3DS have been pretty horrid for third-person aiming, which will hopefully be solved by just having a second stick or mouse aim. First person mode is easier to aim, but there's that whole "rooted in place" thing to deal with, not to mention the fact that you can't see anything around you. Add to that the fact that gunner armor is way weaker and, as you mentioned, running out of ammo feels like this dangling threat over your head, and I understand why some people try gunning once and immediately write it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I think having stealth mechanics is maybe not how I want to play, but that implies that there might be more of a potential preparation metagame than "lay trap lay bomb" which would be neat.

Having stealth also implies that the monsters pose a real threat which would be a nice change of pace from "a one hit kill beam or barely any damage at all"

also they had better come up with a good system for deaths, have they mentioned that? I don't want to call for help if that means they could fail me. Maybe the quest starter gets 1-2 deaths and people they call get one then have to sit out or get revived via item?

• Locked thread