Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Looks like Xfinity Mobile is up and running. Any brave souls here trialing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Hughmoris posted:

Looks like Xfinity Mobile is up and running. Any brave souls here trialing it?

No problems so far. I don't really do the young people phone stuff, so the LG X Power has been fine. Better coverage than Virgin. A good option for atypical users/olds.

BYOD isn't available, though there is chatter about purchasing a phone and swapping the sim into your existing device. Cheaters.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anybody wants to take advantage of Sprint's free data/voice/text for 1 year promotion? I heard you can use some MVNO number like Straight Talk, Cricket and TPO.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I wouldn't even use Sprint for free tbh

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

whatever7 posted:

Anybody wants to take advantage of Sprint's free data/voice/text for 1 year promotion? I heard you can use some MVNO number like Straight Talk, Cricket and TPO.

Wow, that's completely nutso.

https://www.cnet.com/news/sprints-free-year-of-unlimited-data-whats-the-catch/

That does not at all smell of desperation, nosir

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I wonder why they limit the handsets

E: also 60$ a month after, lmfao

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So, just how bad is Sprint's service?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

They are the worst of the four and their coverage map is a joke

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Blue Train posted:

They are the worst of the four and their coverage map is a joke

If you live in an LTE plus area it's fine, but lord help you if you ever leave that area.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

insulated staircase posted:

No problems so far. I don't really do the young people phone stuff, so the LG X Power has been fine. Better coverage than Virgin. A good option for atypical users/olds.

BYOD isn't available, though there is chatter about purchasing a phone and swapping the sim into your existing device. Cheaters.

Glad to hear it's been pain free so far. Did you port your number in? Have you ran a speedtest yet?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

When you say the coverage map is a joke, do you mean the map itself is not indicative of their coverage or do you mean their coverage is just bad. Because the map says everywhere in my city/where I would go is LTE Plus or "Fair."

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Their coverage is bad outside of metro areas and that fair is more than likely going to be borderline unusable

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Hughmoris posted:

Glad to hear it's been pain free so far. Did you port your number in? Have you ran a speedtest yet?

I did port my number, Xfinity's side was fine but Virgin made me talk to retention.

I think this is what you're asking for?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

insulated staircase posted:

I did port my number, Xfinity's side was fine but Virgin made me talk to retention.

I think this is what you're asking for?

Yep, that's it. Thanks!

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Looking for suggestions for an MVNO that lets me handle the occasional trip over the borders (mostly to Canada.) I'm used to the nerd plan so T-mobile coverage is fine. Fi looks to be expensive if I'm away from home and don't have a reliable source of WiFi.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

monster on a stick posted:

Looking for suggestions for an MVNO that lets me handle the occasional trip over the borders (mostly to Canada.) I'm used to the nerd plan so T-mobile coverage is fine. Fi looks to be expensive if I'm away from home and don't have a reliable source of WiFi.

Cricket's Unlimited plan for $55 includes unlimited talk/text/data in US/Mexico/Canada

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Humerus posted:

When you say the coverage map is a joke, do you mean the map itself is not indicative of their coverage or do you mean their coverage is just bad. Because the map says everywhere in my city/where I would go is LTE Plus or "Fair."

A bigger issue with Sprint is that their spectrum is so lovely. Building penetration is laughable.

I mean you're going to get what you're paying for, but let's be real here: Sprint's terrible. That said you're looking at saving $1000 just for using their lovely network. For that kind of money it's probably worth checking out which is what they're banking on. Maybe you'll be satisfied enough to stay at the end of it.

I have a feeling that it will be just like Mitsubishi gave people no payments for a year, the kind of person attracted to something-for-nothing deals have no loyalty and don't really have the means to pay anyway which is why they look for such things. In the end they'll get a bump in their subscriber numbers enough to hopefully attract a buyer (their finances are a dumpster fire and they're rapidly losing customers) but when the promo ends and all these people leave, they'll be worse off than before they started.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Guys you are obviously getting more for the what you are paying ($6 tax a month?). Sprint is probably jockeying for merger position.

The question is do you have a spare Sprint approved phone to do this on a secondary line? I probably will do it providing I don't have to get a Vzn/ATT/Tmo post paid account first. I have a spsre iphone se.

It's still no big deal because I already know Sprint data signal is poo poo where I work.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jun 15, 2017

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Blue Train posted:

Their coverage is bad outside of metro areas and that fair is more than likely going to be borderline unusable

With Sprint [non-mvno] once you leave their service area you roam to Verizon. The 2 big problems are building penetration as stated and if you are in a borderline area. The phone will desperately try to hold onto Sprint service before roaming to Verizon. During these times you'll get no or nearly no service. If you live or work in one of those areas or in a place that you can't get building penetration or use WIFI then it's pretty rough. It looks like very little downside to trying.

Keep in mind Boost/Virgin/Server others use Sprints network without the benefit of roaming to Verizon so many people find it acceptable.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

whatever7 posted:

It's still no big deal because I already know Sprint data signal is poo poo where I work.

Yes I too work in a place which is somewhere, part of the greater anywhere.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FAUXTON posted:

Yes I too work in a place which is somewhere, part of the greater anywhere.

In my office I have line of sight to a Sprint tower with band 41 and it's pretty good. Heaven help me if I leave my office, though.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Well I figured I had nothing to lose but it looks like Project Fi numbers are not eligible. Specifically it tells me my phone is not eligible but it's a Nexus 6P so I guess their wording is just bad. Oh well :shrug:

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Humerus posted:

Well I figured I had nothing to lose but it looks like Project Fi numbers are not eligible. Specifically it tells me my phone is not eligible but it's a Nexus 6P so I guess their wording is just bad. Oh well :shrug:

Maybe it's only for Nexus6P phones originally registered to non Fi carriers. If I recall there was something special Nexus 6P Fi phones.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

People on Reddit are saying it has something to do with having bought the phone from Fi, and that there's a number you can call to sort it out. I'm still not clear on whether you can port from Fi directly though, all the people in the Reddit thread said they had Fi but switched to Verizon/ATT/non-Sprint MVNO so I guess it's something to ask about when I call.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America
Tried signing up for the Sprint plan. Stopped signing up when their site couldn't complete a credit check. Guess I should be thankful I'm not moving to crappy Sprint service.

Probably try again in a few days and see what happens. The Xfinity Mobile service is pretty tempting to me but I really just want to bring my own device. Figured I could move off the t-mobile nerd plan and give the Sprint one a shot while waiting for BYOD to be an option on Xfinity.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Updated the OP to show this, but as of today, Virgin Mobile will no longer sell Android phones. They will be an iPhone-only MVNO going forward thanks to a deal with Apple.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/06/21/virgin-mobile-usa-stopped-selling-android-phones-entirely/

Hopefully, I'll have more time to revamp the entire thread. Classes got pretty heavy but today's the last day. Yay.

I still have a TXT with all of my changes so far so it shouldn't take long.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

It was always weird that Sprint owned both Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile and ran them similarly. At least now they have different gimmicks.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Virgin is doing free 1 year of service too. Lol Sprint is mega desperate.

You have to buy a new iPhone from Sprint though, I think they have a $100 mark up.

I just paid $7 and activate a TPO sim kit. I will see if I can port it to Sprint.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

whatever7 posted:

Virgin is doing free 1 year of service too. Lol Sprint is mega desperate.

You have to buy a new iPhone from Sprint though, I think they have a $100 mark up.

I just paid $7 and activate a TPO sim kit. I will see if I can port it to Sprint.

Keep in mind that with Sprint Postpaid you get access to Verizon if your out of Sprint coverage. With Virgin Mobile you do not, if you stray too far outside of most cities on Virgin you just won't have service and won't be able to even call/text.

Here is a link to a horrible image of the map.

http://m.virginmobileusa.com/mt/www.showmycoverage.com/mycoverage.jsp?id=VMU4MMLE&un_jtt_v_keep=y

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Uggghhhh...I've been happy with my Virgin Mobile service and just got my mom to switch over. It's been the best (for me) data to price ratio and I'm not often outside of coverage area, but I refuse to go iPhone. Guess when this phone is to the point of replacing I'll be finding a new provider.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

taiyoko posted:

Uggghhhh...I've been happy with my Virgin Mobile service and just got my mom to switch over. It's been the best (for me) data to price ratio and I'm not often outside of coverage area, but I refuse to go iPhone. Guess when this phone is to the point of replacing I'll be finding a new provider.

The problem is, no one knows what kind of support Virgin Mobile will give to the current customers that don't have an iPhone because they haven't said anything about it.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Stick100 posted:

Keep in mind that with Sprint Postpaid you get access to Verizon if your out of Sprint coverage. With Virgin Mobile you do not, if you stray too far outside of most cities on Virgin you just won't have service and won't be able to even call/text.

Here is a link to a horrible image of the map.

http://m.virginmobileusa.com/mt/www.showmycoverage.com/mycoverage.jsp?id=VMU4MMLE&un_jtt_v_keep=y

This isn't correct. At least, not with the new iPhone Inner Circle plans. The plan details say that you get 800 minutes and 100mb roaming, probably on Verizon and other small regional carriers. In-network data is unlimited, with deprioritization after 23gb.

I read this elsewhere, but the speculation is that with all these free/$1 plans, Sprint is trying to get their subscriber numbers up to look more attractive for a sale/merger.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Lol if Sprint thinks they will get an offer for a sale/mer-

Deutsche Telekom Reportedly Readying Merger Offer for Sprint

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lol, if it's anything more than "you stop having to eat losses every day, and we don't have to pay for your janky poo poo and brokedick customer base" DT is paying too much

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Given T-Mobile's spectrum holdings now "merging" with Sprint (it'd be a de facto buyout) would be nothing more than absorbing their customer base. They'd transition their postpaid over to a real network and maybe keep the prepaid poors on the old Sprint network while dismantling their tremendously horrible patchwork LTE entirely. The prepaids will get degraded service until they're fed up and leave and they'll shutter them one by one while they herd them onto better but more expensive captive MVNOs.

Given Sprint's enormous debt, broken infrastructure, and really bad spectrum it's hard to see where there's much value unless SoftBank is forced to eat the debt. By the time T-Mo is done rolling out its 5G 600MHz network they'll have so much extra (bad) spectrum to sell it will be unreal. It makes sense when you look at the towers they'll acquire and the areas they'll likely be able to fill in on their coverage map (both in rural areas and low frequency coverage in cities when they double their subscriber numbers) but it's hard to see that kind of investment paying back until their 5G 600MHz is ubiquitous and they can put out Sprint's many fires.

On the plus side this would indicate that DT is looking to stay in the US for a good 3-5 years since in the short term this will hurt more than it helps. They wouldn't be looking to crush the yippy dog nibbling at their heels if they were planning to exit like they were five years ago. What a difference a smart CEO makes.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Given T-Mobile's spectrum holdings now "merging" with Sprint (it'd be a de facto buyout) would be nothing more than absorbing their customer base. They'd transition their postpaid over to a real network and maybe keep the prepaid poors on the old Sprint network while dismantling their tremendously horrible patchwork LTE entirely. The prepaids will get degraded service until they're fed up and leave and they'll shutter them one by one while they herd them onto better but more expensive captive MVNOs.

I think they can just keep the prepaid on the current CDMA/LTE service but just make sure all new phones offered are GMS/LTE. They can immediately stop all sale of CDMA, and start selling TMo (normal unlocked) phones with whatever branding they want. It's not like the Sprint prepaid plans are significantly cheaper than TMo prepaid/MVNOs plans. Usually around $10 cheaper for the same service.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That softbank boss was the first asian business man kissed up on trump. I bet he will engineer a merge where sprint is taking the lead. They can call it TMobile though hehehe.

I wonder if anyone is still on wimax phones.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The WiMax network was shut down on November 6, 2015, so if there are they are only getting CDMA speeds.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

LastInLine posted:

Given Sprint's enormous debt, broken infrastructure, and really bad spectrum it's hard to see where there's much value unless SoftBank is forced to eat the debt. By the time T-Mo is done rolling out its 5G 600MHz network they'll have so much extra (bad) spectrum to sell it will be unreal. It makes sense when you look at the towers they'll acquire and the areas they'll likely be able to fill in on their coverage map (both in rural areas and low frequency coverage in cities when they double their subscriber numbers) but it's hard to see that kind of investment paying back until their 5G 600MHz is ubiquitous and they can put out Sprint's many fires.

600mhz is not the only spectrum that matters, though. Sprint's 2600mhz holdings will be very valuable to T-mobile for the 5G network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nimper posted:

600mhz is not the only spectrum that matters, though. Sprint's 2600mhz holdings will almost certainly be very valuable to T-mobile for the 5G network.

No one puts anything that needs to be used that high in the frequency range because the tighter the wavelength, the less the wave can penetrate solid objects. That's why Verizon and AT&T paid through the nose for 700MHz and why the 600MHz band is so huge for T-Mobile. T-Mo's first 3G spectrum was on AWS, 710 to 1755MHz for uplink, and from 2110 to 2155MHz for downlink, and was vastly inferior to ATT/VZ because of those high-end spectrum bands. T-Mobile's other band is 1900MHz which is the PCS band. They almost have total coverage in 600MHz and what's not will almost certainly be transitioned to Sprint's 800MHz band which also covers everything else. Sprint also has substantial PCS holdings so it's also a viable option, though it makes sense to use that band to supplement T-Mo's PCS band while the 600MHz buildout is in motion then they can dump CDMA off 800MHz and use that for additional coverage on 5G.

tl;dr: Sprint's 2.5GHz band is now and always was useless and they'll almost certainly sell that off to recoup merging costs. It's the main reason Sprint is in the position they're in now, which is completely noncompetitive and it's an albatross of a network. It's less than valuable, it's a liability.

Edit: I should add that 600MHz is the only band that matters. T-Mobile getting that (thank you, Tom Wheeler!) means they'll not only have a nationwide network, but 600MHz means that the towers can be farther apart. Why do you think Verizon has such great coverage? It's not because they love plopping towers down in Wyoming and Montana, it's because 700MHz travels farther, better, than lovely rear end AWS/PCS. which are almost 2GHz. One can't overstate how great of a position T-Mobile is in because of that auction. They'll still be subservient to AT&T and Verizon because they don't own the backhaul, but it will ensure that for a generation at least they'll have the best network in America.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 22, 2017