Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Junkie Disease posted:

What happened to you?

What episode was that again? The delivery of that is so great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Bridget's dad was a mayor. Mary Jo's dad was a mayor. We need to keep an eye on the daughters of Minnesota mayors apparently.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Bridget and Mary Jo's rifftrax are excellent. It's kind of refreshing to watch one where it just seems like two laughing close friends just messing around. They feel a lot looser, which is a good alternative to the laser focus timed riffs of the new show (which I also love)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I couldn't get through the first movie. Does it get better?

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

I like Cry Wilderness significantly more than Reptilicus but YMMV of course.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Arglebargle III posted:

I think it's generally agreed that Reptillicus is one of the weaker episodes of the season. Fortunately, the next one, Cry Wilderness, is one of the best.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Clouseau posted:

Bridget and Mary Jo's rifftrax are excellent. It's kind of refreshing to watch one where it just seems like two laughing close friends just messing around. They feel a lot looser, which is a good alternative to the laser focus timed riffs of the new show (which I also love)

I watched Catwomen Of The Moon on Amazon a few weeks back, and it sounded like your aunt and her pal from college talking poo poo after doing shots. This is not a bad thing.

I also didn't know the Rifftrax recording studio was Kevin's spare room.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Huh. I was under the impression it was in Mike's apartment for the longest time, *then* I thought "no, that's silly they probably have an office or something somewhere". I guess I was sorta right.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

flosofl posted:

Huh. I was under the impression it was in Mike's apartment for the longest time, *then* I thought "no, that's silly they probably have an office or something somewhere". I guess I was sorta right.

Home office. I bet Kevin gets a tax break for that.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

Gaz-L posted:

I watched Catwomen Of The Moon on Amazon a few weeks back, and it sounded like your aunt and her pal from college talking poo poo after doing shots. This is not a bad thing.

I also didn't know the Rifftrax recording studio was Kevin's spare room.

Mary Jo and Bridget have a great repor. I also really love Cole Stratton and Janet Varney. Their riff of Dreamscape is one of my favorites. Would love to see more from them.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

mangler103 posted:

I also really love Cole Stratton and Janet Varney. Their riff of Dreamscape is one of my favorites. Would love to see more from them.

They're great together. There's plenty more 80s movies for them to do.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Home office. I bet Kevin gets a tax break for that.

Depends on if he uses it solely for Rifftrax/other work or he does personal stuff in it as well.

... I'll go give myself a swirlie now.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I uhh didn't realize the fathom event this week includes "A SPECIAL VIDEO SEGMENT BY RICH “LOWTAX” KYANKA" lol

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I uhh didn't realize the fathom event this week includes "A SPECIAL VIDEO SEGMENT BY RICH “LOWTAX” KYANKA" lol

A 90 second plea for new accounts and donations for putting out server fires

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hopefully they can keep him from saying "Joel stinks because he was mean to my best friend, Mike."

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Bicyclops posted:

Hopefully they can keep him from saying "Joel stinks because he was mean to my best friend, Mike."

Yeah, that was super weird.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
It was jarring enough when they switched from Joel to Mike. I don't think I could handle another change; I really can't see the show being the same. Is the new cast really all that good? I mean, I like Patton and Felicia in other things but they just seem like they'd be a weird fit for this show.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

...! posted:

It was jarring enough when they switched from Joel to Mike. I don't think I could handle another change; I really can't see the show being the same. Is the new cast really all that good? I mean, I like Patton and Felicia in other things but they just seem like they'd be a weird fit for this show.

Yeah they're really good. Give it a try.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...! posted:

It's fine, You should really just relax.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

...! posted:

I'd definitely give it a try. If anything, with Joel back in charge the show is closer in some ways to the Joel years than it is to the Mike years. During the first episode they're definitely trying to find their footing, but the second episode is absolutely amazing if nothing else due to the complete insanity of the movie.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

...! posted:

The entire cast has already changed over during the original run. It's like it just kept going, but with input from the creators. Give it a couple of episodes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Honestly this might be my favorite Crow.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I do not know why but the exchange about "And Clawful would give me my first taste of beer" "I dont want you hanging around clawful anymore" is probably my favorite non song host segment line.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

...! posted:

It's what you'd expect from Joel-era MST3K. That said, I recently saw the Avalanche episode and agree with some of the complaints I've read about joke frequency. At some points, they were telling a new one just as the previous finished, with no breathing room. It's funnier when you're allowed to be drawn into the movie a little so the rug can get pulled out from under it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Barudak posted:

I do not know why but the exchange about "And Clawful would give me my first taste of beer" "I dont want you hanging around clawful anymore" is probably my favorite non song host segment line.

I always crack up when I hear "Frankencalcium and Bride of Frakencalcium" but yea Crow talking about hanging out with Clawful is great.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

...! posted:

It's ok but its like a compete negative of rifftrax and the direction they went in, it feels like. Might be good in 2-3 seasons. All the new cast sounds the same.

Toady posted:

At some points, they were telling a new one just as the previous finished, with no breathing room. It's funnier when you're allowed to be drawn into the movie a little so the rug can get pulled out from under it.

Trying to follow the plot of the movie is half the fun. It gets really bad when they just keep joking over all the dialog.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jun 15, 2017

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm still confused why they made reptilicus the first movie. It's so weak compared to the next few and I turned it off the first time after 15 minutes because the riffs were so bad and so rapid fire

Cry wilderness would have been so much better of a welcome to the new mst3k

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
The theater parts of the show would be indistinguishable from the old ones to me were it not for the differences in vocal timbres. Humor is exactly the same. The ratio of contemporary/obscure references is pretty much the same as in the older seasons too.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I like Reptilicus ok! It's definitely a B, but it's got some solid jokes and an all timer song.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I can also remember a lot of the riffs from Reptilicus, because they caught me funny.

"Oh greaaat more bones." :rolleyes:
"Poor Syd Pink. He got blacklisted, of course."
"It's Pee Wee Kissinger!"
"Now you're mister cabinet!"

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Bicyclops posted:

I can also remember a lot of the riffs from Reptilicus, because they caught me funny.

Gentlemen, the secret word is...CARPETBOMB!!!! :derp::derp::derp:

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

The door is ajar.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

"Oh greaaat more bones." :rolleyes:
"Poor Syd Pink. He got blacklisted, of course."
"Now you're mister cabinet!"

You know, an aquarium is just a pet store that doesn't sell anything.

A fire in an aquarium? That'll sort itself out.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Kevin is irreplaceable, no knock on Baron, it's just a straight fact. Other than that and a few other very minor quibbles, though, this turned out really well. After 20 years it was unavoidable, but it would've helped to have more continuity with the past, i.e. changing out cast members as needed rather than having everyone new all at once. Sort of like with Doctor Who, when they change the cast they usually have either the Doctor or the companion(s) stick around when they change the other out, but that also had a nearly 20 year gap. And this is a closer fit for the original than the new Doctor Who was to the old show.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 15, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Now you're Mister Cabinet

Just seriously caught me off guard. Without question. I even heard about it too, I just did not expect it. The timing was fantastic

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Seeing as it was discussed here recently, I'd like to present some good old fashioned nightmare fuel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsUM9r8ctsI&t=636s

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

My only knock on the revival outside of the rapid-fire riffs (which does seem to get better) is that Jonah and Baron's timbres are almost identical, so in the theater it's near-impossible to tell who's saying what.

Otherwise, even though I was always more Mike than Joel, and this is far closer to Joel, I absolutely love it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bruteman posted:

The door is ajar.

:geno: The temperature is minus 5 degrees.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

BANG!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Timby posted:

My only knock on the revival outside of the rapid-fire riffs (which does seem to get better) is that Jonah and Baron's timbres are almost identical, so in the theater it's near-impossible to tell who's saying what.

Otherwise, even though I was always more Mike than Joel, and this is far closer to Joel, I absolutely love it.

I still think Jonah has a much, much deeper voice than Baron. I guess there are times when they're bot affecting kind of a high-pitched voice to make fun of somebody that they sound similar, but I think it's the exception rather than the rule.