Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
It's a way better idea to discreetly follow the boat and catch the sub with its pants down, but it's time high time the lunatics ran the asylum for awhile.

Hijack!

Splode fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Nick Esasky posted:

The other issue, of course, is that they may not be getting UNREP during our mission timeframe, especially given that they just got a shipment of food which might well have involved some fuel being sent over too. That, and the weather may or may not involve low enough cloud cover to neutralize the Gorgon, and the ELINT on the sub is good enough to go OH poo poo and dive if we try to use radar off of any of the ASW assets to find it.

Just concentrate on our ASW, send up the Reaper to see if it can see any oddly behaving freighters or the like.

This is a much better idea. We also have the Argus, Atlantique, MH90s, and the Dutch Frigates who can surface search.

If spotted, send a frigate to board and search the ship. If it refuses to comply, sink it.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Always hijack everything at every opportunity.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Seize the sub.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Hijack that sub

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Stealth fly behind the freighter and then missile the sub when it surfaces

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Bacarruda posted:

This is a much better idea. We also have the Argus, Atlantique, MH90s, and the Dutch Frigates who can surface search.

If spotted, send a frigate to board and search the ship. If it refuses to comply, sink it.

This seems like a very solid option. Risk taking is all well and fun until somebody loses half their Gripens

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Yooper, just to confirm, are you taking "hijack the boat" votes to mean "VBSS the freighter mid-transit, then use it to get close to and VBSS the submarine" or "shadow the freighter until it is solidly UNREPed with the submarine, then VBSS them both while they're moving the burgers and gas"? People seem to be using that vote to refer to both options.

omegasgundam
Mar 30, 2010
Ya, the thread is essentially flailing wildly in the general direction of "fun", while having no actual idea/interest in how this would be done.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Voting Shadow the freighter in the event we can identify and track it to use to try and find the sub. Do Not vote for dropping folks onto the sub. This si the Bering Strait. During WW2 the USN lost several hundred people fighting in the Aleutains to completley unoccupied islands when the crews were sober. I don't think we're going to have much better luck. Use the ship to possibly help track the sub, don't try and board it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My great hope is that when he arrives on the freighter, Cobbie detects a great and terrible presence: His ex-wife already jujitsuing the captain and screaming 'TAKE ME TO THE GOONS' on the bridge.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Betcha the young woman we are looking for is on the sub.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Red Dragon Security

With the hiring of Scott Brown in 2014, Wrexham Football Club forced its way into football's elite teams. Their new status gave them great fortune and the chairmen of the club sought to embezzle some of the money. Originally done to fuel the lavish lifestyles of said chairmen, the rise of PMCs changed their minds. Fueled by bloodlust and the promise of more money, the chairmen created Red Dragon Security in 2021. Originally composing of hundreds of well-trained hoolgians providing Team and Fan security, over time the company began to expand its operations and acquire several airframes and land vehicles. The two events that pushed Red Dragon Security as a serious group were the blockade of Tackleford City in December 2022 and the airstrike on Eurodisney in April 2023.These successful actions made investors take notice into the company and allowed Wrexham AFC to officially support the PMC financially. As Scott Brown and Wrexham set to take over the footballing world, so too does Red Dragon Security seek to become the world's premier PMC.

A callback to the FM2014 Let's Play. Wish it was in the LP Archive. :(

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

paragon1 posted:

Betcha the young woman we are looking for is on the sub.

Good storytelling essentially demands it.

quote:

Bacarruda posted:

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

omegasgundam posted:

Ya, the thread is essentially flailing wildly in the general direction of "fun", while having no actual idea/interest in how this would be done.

No actually I'm pretty sure we are flailing wildly in the direction of the specific plan Yooper offered with only some minor differing ideas on the details :confused:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Bacarruda posted:

Seems reasonable enough.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Bacarruda posted:

Changing my vote to this.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Send in Cobbie and Hijack.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Follow at a distance, engage once the sub surfaces

omegasgundam
Mar 30, 2010

power crystals posted:

No actually I'm pretty sure we are flailing wildly in the direction of the specific plan Yooper offered with only some minor differing ideas on the details :confused:

Most of us are very unclear on what the details are, and just want to steal a boat.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've given up on not trying to hijack the boat and just hope to get people on board with not hijacking until the sub is surfaced. We'll know we have the right boats AND it'll take time for the sub to prep to dive. Even if it gets away we'll know where it is.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
what if Cobbie and his blokes keep the crew at gunpoint and makes them stick to their original resupply plan, so when the sub surfaces they secure both the ship and the sub?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

RandomPauI posted:

Track from distance, then swarm sub mid replenishment.

I vote this. If we can't get the sun on the surface, we have a very good datum point to start dropping sonobouys on. A diesel sun can't move very fast on batteries.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Splode posted:

what if Cobbie and his blokes keep the crew at gunpoint and makes them stick to their original resupply plan, so when the sub surfaces they secure both the ship and the sub?

The crew might give off a warning to the sub during the raid or as the resupply is about to start. Or it might give a warning to other ships about pirates. Or take us to the wrong place.

Waiting for the resupply to start means having to fight two crews, but it also catches them both with their pants down.

Edit: Both scenarios could also result in us targeting the wrong ship. But hijacking a civilian vessel with guns blazing is piracy, an act we can't walk back. Stalking one would just be a waste of time.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 15, 2017

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
hijack that bote

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

RandomPauI posted:

Edit: Both scenarios could also result in us targeting the wrong ship. But hijacking a civilian vessel with guns blazing is piracy, an act we can't walk back. Stalking one would just be a waste of time.

It's only piracy if you come off worse.

Otherwise we were boarding for inspection due to piratical activities in the area. You know, like the USN does around Somalia. Stop and Search for Safer Seas.

It's not like we kill the crew or steal the cargo or ransom the freighter. After we're done let it go in its merry way. And terrorists who nuked Alaska can't really complain too much, nor will the international community, if their sub gets confiscated

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

simplefish posted:

It's only piracy if you come off worse.

Otherwise we were boarding for inspection due to piratical activities in the area. You know, like the USN does around Somalia. Stop and Search for Safer Seas.

We can't afford to do an inspection. Those require communicating to the vessel that it's going to be boarded for an inspection. But that gives time for the cargo vessel to warn ANGRYpeace. So this would have to be a straight up seizure done quickly and without notice.

Let's assume we're still legally covered by the UN mandate to do that with the slim amount of evidence we have. We'd still be in the shitter if we get any civilians killed because we stormed the boat. Such casualties could easily happen if the crew fought back. Especially so if they carried small arms to repel pirates. And we would look like pirates to them.

Making things worse if the crew has enough time to fight back they could have enough time to get out a message. And if that message is to tell ANGRYpeace "we're being boarded" then we don't get to capture the submarine.

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

Why are we still worried about the UN of all things?

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

from IRC, I am in no way caught up in the thread so if I'm talking out my rear end, lmk

<cat_herder> wait, so you're no longer affiliated with the USN? because America doesn't give a gently caress about warning a vessel that it's about to be boarded for inspection
<cat_herder> typically you spring that poo poo on someone when they least expect it so you can catch them loving up
<cat_herder> that's the whole point of a sudden inspection
<cat_herder> just walk aboard, stride around like you own the bote, hassle them about minor bullshit stuff to get a bribe if it's a civvie ship or otherwise not the right target
<cat_herder> and plant something to find and shut them down if it's the right ship
<cat_herder> so you look like you're fighting the drug war or some bullshit

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Couldn't we reach via back channels to BSNC to help us identify the correct ship? Since we know it's not their sub.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
hijack that boat! Can we keep it afterwards though?

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Hijack Bote, keep Bote, why is this even a vote.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXSSrBBZV_8

e:this is my vote

Anta fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 15, 2017

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

Follow at a distance, engage once the sub surfaces

This. Use REAPER and COBBIE IN A HELICOPTER on HIPPIE SUBMARINE.
Ride of the Valkyries is not optional :colbert:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

cat_herder posted:

from IRC, I am in no way caught up in the thread so if I'm talking out my rear end, lmk

I stand corrected about the inspection part. But I think the rest of my argument still stands.

PenguinSalsa posted:

This. Use REAPER and COBBIE IN A HELICOPTER on HIPPIE SUBMARINE.
Ride of the Valkyries is not optional :colbert:

Either way, we'd need to use Ride of the Valkyries.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Davin Valkri posted:

Yooper, just to confirm, are you taking "hijack the boat" votes to mean "VBSS the freighter mid-transit, then use it to get close to and VBSS the submarine" or "shadow the freighter until it is solidly UNREPed with the submarine, then VBSS them both while they're moving the burgers and gas"? People seem to be using that vote to refer to both options.

Correct. If we go the HIJACK route then we plop Cobbie onto a freighter that looks suspicious BEFORE it has met the sub.

This is a big if too. There might not be any resupply freighters nearby. The sub might have everything they need. Or the sub gets spooked by something and waits for the UNREP another day.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Hmm if it's a case of take a gamble of what looks dodgy at port, that's a real big If.

If it's Cobbie following the Facon Cheeseburgers then that helps a lot

This is of course assuming that surveilling ships from the air and paradropping our Bogan Bonanza on them is off the table

Because that's the way I'd go. Get a solid ID on the ship by hanging back then dropping in our men mid-resupply to take the sub with haatches open.

I'm operating under the assumption that Daughter is on the sub, so we 100% shouldn't sink it unless directly and overwhelmingly threatened.

You know the Navy SEALS drop RIBs along with their men then they go on a mission. It's not trying to parachute people onto the deck

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing
It's Not Piracy When We Do It. Call it a hostile audit. A due diligence operation.
If we get the wrong ship...paying compensation for loss of ship time or any unfortunate crew 'incidents' is probably cheaper than losing a factory ship. We're doing conventional ASW in parallel anyway.

Direct any complaints from Iceberg to our legal counsel at Meteor, Meteor & Meteor LLP.

e: I don't expect them to surrender. There's been too much history. Too much blood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anXPPTk-jY8

Anta fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 15, 2017

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Why are we concerned about being called pirates when our original goal is to sink the thing instead? We can always return the freighter when we're done.

I think sending up the Reaper and having Cobbie try to jack the freighter (and then sub) is a perfectly reasonable option given that it does not involve any of our assets already tasked for something in this plan. The only real problem is if we don't ID the right freighter. Even if the sub never rendevous with the freighter, the rest of the plan can still try to sink it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

For all intents and purposes we are operating in the region under a UN mandate. Everyone else are the pirates while We're law enforcement.

I don't quite get the hesitance to rally behind one of the few benefits we get from our employer.