Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
If Alex Jones is going to dirty bomb the waters of South Carolina to turn the frogs straight I'm going to need a day off work. And this planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Waroduce posted:

Odds Trump goes kinetic over this....

Zero

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTgwLKRPQF8

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm not sure if this is more of a Clancy novel or a 24 episode. Voting for the former more than the latter, as this isn't the heart of NYC/D.C./uhhh L.A.?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

The Iron Rose posted:

I'm not sure if this is more of a Clancy novel or a 24 episode. Voting for the former more than the latter, as this isn't the heart of NYC/D.C./uhhh L.A.?
https://mobile.twitter.com/dhmspector/status/875210571704029188

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jesus Christ never thought I'd hear that referenced.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
When I was younger, I thought the worst thing to happen in my life was 9-11.

I'm now worried I'll live through some greater calamity.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

orange juche posted:

Yeah they don't pump you up on pain meds for the surgery, they sedate you. People who have woken up in the middle of surgery (an absolutely horrifying experience) can have to undergo some pretty intense therapy to deal with the PTSD from the experience. Inter-operative awareness is like a loving nightmare come to life because you can hear, see, and feel exactly what is going on, but cannot move because you are likely paralyzed by the sedatives and muscle relaxants, so you can't even indicate that you are aware and feeling to the OR staff, it's up to the anesthesiologist noticing that your readings aren't right and correcting your anesthesia.

Your body still feels all of that pain, and reacts to it, even if you're not conscious of it.

I woke up during surgery once, and it took the better part of a year before the nightmares stopped. Partially responsible was the fact that they hosed up the spinal anesthesia and I slowly lost all muscles from the waist down, but slowly moving up, to the point where my breathing went, and I literally didn't have any breath to tell the anesthesiologist about this. So I'm trying to breathe, but can't, and the two doctors in the room are telling me to relax and "just calm down".

They didn't realize anything was wrong until vomit started slowly pouring out my mouth without any convulsions as my eyes were screaming panic at them. They figured poo poo was hosed, intubated me, added a general anesthesia on top of the whole deal, and then I woke up about an hour into surgery.

poo poo was not fun.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 15, 2017

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Welp, there's some nightmare fuel.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I left out how much fun spinal anesthesia is when the guy needs three tries to get the needle in. Ranks right behind a lumbar puncture with two tries I once had in terms of fun

ReebTop
May 17, 2003
Re: dirty bombs. Had an uncle who was USCG in New York City some years ago, one of his favorite stories was getting a radiation hit off this packed container ship. Cue opening everything to look for the culprit.

Finally, they locate the hot container. Open it, expecting to find armageddon, and instead?

Porcelain toilets. A whole bunch of them. So, if the Coasties say there ain't no radiation, I believe them.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/15/south-carolina-terminal-reportedly-evacuated-as-fbi-investigates-report-dirty-bomb.html

fox news is reporting it; msnbc and cnn arent yet

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Also that terrible nic cage film next

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-JA1ffd5Ms

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

would a dirty bomb even be that bad?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
No. It complicates cleanup but isn't likely to kill any more people than a regular bomb, and makes it much easier to detect.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

ReebTop posted:

Re: dirty bombs. Had an uncle who was USCG in New York City some years ago, one of his favorite stories was getting a radiation hit off this packed container ship. Cue opening everything to look for the culprit.

Finally, they locate the hot container. Open it, expecting to find armageddon, and instead?

Porcelain toilets. A whole bunch of them. So, if the Coasties say there ain't no radiation, I believe them.

Pretty much every house in the USA has multiple sources of radiation.

it's in your smoke detector

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

The Iron Rose posted:

It's a Clancy novel if it goes off. 24 if they find/disarm it.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

ded posted:

Pretty much every house in the USA has multiple sources of radiation.

it's in your smoke detector

Also your bananas

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Piell posted:

Also your bananas

This is absolutely correct and is basically *the* tool I use to get people to stop freaking the gently caress out about "RADASHUN!!!!!" when they have zero god drat clue what they're talking about so they'll at least maaaaybe listen to what I'm saying with an open mind.

Seriously, Banana Equivalent Dose

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Radiation is one of those things that is really easy to find, public's perception might mean something else though.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I woke up near the end of getting my wisdom teeth out. Didn't hurt but I could feel them drilling the last one to pieces and yanking the bits out with pliers. It was fine but I guess they noticed me looking round or whatever cos I remember them giving me the standard "doing fine, nearly done" etc. Nothing like Duzzy :stare:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i wish i had been put to sleep when they extracted my impacted wisdom teeth :(

right after it was done they shoved me out the door and made me walk a mile or so to my basic training barracks lol, spitting out globs of blood and probably drooling blood too like some loving zombie mother fucker

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

Grognan posted:

Radiation is one of those things that is really easy to find, public's perception might mean something else though.

I was working on an old color TV from the early 60s when a friend walked in and saw the X-Ray warning on the back and freaked out. Cue me spending 15 minutes explaining that while the Hv regulator tube emits a minute amount of X-rays there is this thing called shielding , and that's why all the high voltage stuff is inside a metal cage. Even after that he never wanted to be in the same room when that set was playing.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

Scalise is rapidly approaching hosed.

Does the Klan wear black robes in mourning?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/15/us/port-of-charleston-threat-evacuation/index.html

CNN has it up finally

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

right after it was done they shoved me out the door and made me walk a mile or so to my basic training barracks lol, spitting out globs of blood and probably drooling blood too like some loving zombie mother fucker

Yup those were good times. Military medicine is some real good poo poo.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

Lollll apparently they used to do that for us but stopped when they kept finding soldiers wandering around outside of camp. Had to get a buddy to come pick me up and drive me the ~5 minute walk to barracks.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i got a cavity filled in iraq

they pumped me so full of novocain that i didn't feel a thing in my jaw for the rest of the day

i think it affected my tolerance for it now because it took 3 shots last time i got one filled

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Oh hey, this is exactly the type of news I wanted to wake up to this morning in my house in Charleston, 5 miles from that port.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

get some duct tape and make like a nyc studio apartment on 9/11

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i got a cavity filled in iraq

they pumped me so full of novocain that i didn't feel a thing in my jaw for the rest of the day

i think it affected my tolerance for it now because it took 3 shots last time i got one filled

I asked a dentist if you could build up a resistance to novocain (after a couple of shots and like 20 minutes of BSing) and he told me No.

With our combined anecdotal experiences, I'm willing to call him a liar.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

pkells posted:

Oh hey, this is exactly the type of news I wanted to wake up to this morning in my house in Charleston, 5 miles from that port.

It's already been cleared. No threat was found.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

get some duct tape and make like a nyc studio apartment on 9/11

I worked in a hardware store during high school in 2002 during that period, and the amount of defeated looking husbands coming in to buy plastic sheeting and duct tape while their wives sat in the car was a great source of entertainment.

I'm seeing on Reddit that this Charleston thing might've been a 4chan prank.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
gently caress yes, finally:

quote:

It's been a long time in coming and had plenty of trials and tribulations, but it's finally here: mobile roaming is now free in the EU. As long as you have service in a member state and live there for at least 8 months each year, you can use your phone's voice, messaging and data in other EU countries at the same rate you'd pay as if you were at home. Well, mostly. There are a number of exceptions to the rule that could leave you paying more, although the likelihood of coming home to a gigantic bill is relatively small.

Carriers can still impose a fair use limit on data while you're traveling (if you have an unlimited or very inexpensive plan), but they're capped at charging you no more than €7.70 per gigabyte plus tax. That ceiling should gradually drop to €2.50 by 2022. Also, a "very small number" of EU carriers are allowed to charge a small roaming fee to make up for lower-than-usual domestic rates, but they should be lower than they were before. And of course, traveling abroad for more than 4 months can incur extra fees.

Now revise copyright/digital distribution laws so the EU gets one gigantic Netflix library instead of 27 crappy little ones :argh:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

pkells posted:

I'm seeing on Reddit that this Charleston thing might've been a 4chan prank.

I guess it was only a matter of time before the trolls got bored of SWATing and moved on to NESTing.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Crisis averted

https://twitter.com/AP/status/875282369447682048

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Just a link because I'm on mobile, but here are the supposed screen shots from the 4chan fake nuke thread:

https://m.imgur.com/a/BPa5G

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Belgian Waffle posted:

I asked a dentist if you could build up a resistance to novocain (after a couple of shots and like 20 minutes of BSing) and he told me No.

With our combined anecdotal experiences, I'm willing to call him a liar.

It's not so much that you build a tolerance, but different people just flat out require different doses. Dentists are going to underdose you more likely than over most of the time because most people do not need much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shyduck posted:

loving hell. Active shooter situation at Travis

https://twitter.com/Travis60AMW/status/875121206709469185

Finally, the one time it's good all my friends work in a lovely locked room all day

• Locked thread