Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Who are these people and why should I care?

My thoughts after reading 20+ pages of this thread in one sitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This thread is just old geezers reminiscing about dumb poo poo that happened.

I dig it.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Snak posted:

Maybe I didn't read far enough​, I didn't see any posts by him in the thread...

I started reading the thread at page one, but after 90 pages of his pretentious philosophizing I had to skip ahead.

Secure that poo poo, Hudson.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Just filter by Tychos posts and you get the gist of it

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Mammal Sauce posted:

Have we ever had any idiot lottery winners on these forums? The classic "win a few million and broke in 6 months" -types.

Did JDR ever buy an account? Granted, that wasn't a lottery win but cashing out of the dot com bubble at the right time and then blowing it all on anime merchandise and possibly real estate scams.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Didn't we have some goon win real big in poker?

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

NLJP posted:

Chris Moneymaker looks like a goon.

Phil Hellmuth acts like a goon.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Instant Sunrise posted:

Did JDR ever buy an account? Granted, that wasn't a lottery win but cashing out of the dot com bubble at the right time and then blowing it all on anime merchandise and possibly real estate scams.

Nah, don't think she was ever on SA. Highly unlikely she'd want to come here, and if she had she'd have melted down and gotten banned over something for sure.
I kinda dunno how to feel about her given she actually is super loving creative, but barely able to function.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I'm somewhat certain she had a Portal of Evil account, but we're talking about my fleeting memories of 15-ish years ago when I messaged her a couple times before the Unicorn Jelly wank blew up in a huge way (I THINK before the Kokoro Wish comic went public).

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

I Said No posted:

Nah, don't think she was ever on SA. Highly unlikely she'd want to come here, and if she had she'd have melted down and gotten banned over something for sure.
I kinda dunno how to feel about her given she actually is super loving creative, but barely able to function.

Yeah I didn't think so, but I just didn't know if she ever bought an account to defend her poo poo here after being on a weekend web or something.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

NLJP posted:

JaySb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZq8Yw1Pr5U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSboZhu-eZw

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I have a degree in film. I can pontificate out my rear end all artsy fartsy about film. I also realize that C/D is a shouting chamber and rarely have threads I want to read in it. However, because I'm not a layman on the subject, I can say with certainty that SMG is not a trollish contrarian fool at all, but rather he's the absolute worst kind of film student--one who also is a philosophy student and crosses the two wires to be as absolutely ridiculous and myopic as possible. His lens of choice is the ideas of Zizek, as is obvious, and if you don't see things through that lens, well then you're obviously wrong. That sounds like a troll move, but actually you don't have to work very hard delving into film theory to find other people with their heads at similar distances up their own asses. I have a book on my shelf right now that makes an awful long effort to claim, with authority, that every single horror movie ever made is either about castration anxiety or penis envy. Obviously the author is a classical Freud follower, but he's just as long winded and sure of himself as SMG, and just as bonkers most of the time.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Choco1980 posted:

I have a book on my shelf right now that makes an awful long effort to claim, with authority, that every single horror movie ever made is either about castration anxiety or penis envy.
You printed out the Silent Hill wiki?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

I have a degree in film. I can pontificate out my rear end all artsy fartsy about film. I also realize that C/D is a shouting chamber and rarely have threads I want to read in it. However, because I'm not a layman on the subject, I can say with certainty that SMG is not a trollish contrarian fool at all, but rather he's the absolute worst kind of film student--one who also is a philosophy student and crosses the two wires to be as absolutely ridiculous and myopic as possible. His lens of choice is the ideas of Zizek, as is obvious, and if you don't see things through that lens, well then you're obviously wrong. That sounds like a troll move, but actually you don't have to work very hard delving into film theory to find other people with their heads at similar distances up their own asses. I have a book on my shelf right now that makes an awful long effort to claim, with authority, that every single horror movie ever made is either about castration anxiety or penis envy. Obviously the author is a classical Freud follower, but he's just as long winded and sure of himself as SMG, and just as bonkers most of the time.

Is the last guy the same person who has the huge Silent Hill wiki devoted to how everything was about circumcision that Voidberger mocked??

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Choco1980 posted:

I could never decide if SMG was just in that deep with that kind of stupidly pretentious criticism or was just a weirdly dedicated troll satirizing that kind of thinking, so thanks for laying that saga to rest for me. *never goes into CD again*

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
This book came out like, a decade before all that happened. This is the book in question FYI

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
jason is the fear of circumcision manifest

e:

Triticum Guzzler posted:

INT. DANK TORTURE BASEMENT - NIGHT

The sound of metal chains whipping against bare flesh hang heavy in the air, like a bird
flying into a headwind. The room is damp and sparsely lit. SUPERMECHAGODZILLA's scarred
jowls are illuminated by a desk lamp laying sideways on the floor

SUPERMECHAGODZILA
Which reading is true? Which reading is true? WHICH READING IS TRUE!?

KOOS
[Spits mouthful of blood] The words are used specifically for their
literal intention, the events are straightforward so as to be easily
understood by an audience of children.

The beating begins again, with a furious vigour, until SUPERMECHAGODZILLA can barely
stand. He rests one hand against a dirty wall, sweat marring his 1993 Nebraska Film
Festival hypercolor t-shirt.

SUPERMECHAGODZILA
The opposite reading is true... The opposite reading is true. I've
been to college.

KOOS straightens his posture, his pride and dignity unscathed by the days long assault
of a fat, stupid man.

KOOS
Any perceived allusions to facism in A Goofy Movie are a wholesale
invention of a misguided viewer.

SUPERMECHAGODZILLA adopts the look of a man who has been defeated. Wearily, he grabs a
shotgun that had been resting in the corner, and cocks it loudly.

KOOS
Goofy simply wishes to bond with his son through fishing, a traditional
pastime, as he had done with his own father. It is neither parable nor
allegory. Neither dog was molested, the material does not support this.

Tiler Kiwi has a new favorite as of 06:16 on Jun 15, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The response:

SuperMechaGodzilla posted:

The appeal here is understandable: the basic narrative is of an college-educated man inflicting violence against an innocent. The narrative is an exaggerated version of the familiar chain e-mail, where a precocious young child (or United States Marine) stands up before a sputtering liberal college professor to tell him that abortion (or terrorism) is actually wrong, causing the whole class to applaud.

However, there is a more familiar narrative here. The conflation of writing with torture bears an unmistakable resemblance to the phenomenon of 'triggering', popularized by Tumblr, where certain words are alleged to 'trigger' latent traumas from abuse, rape, etc. SJWs effectively claim to be 'raped by words', and consequently hold uncareful speech to be an absolutely unacceptable harassment. In this sense, the story is accurate; I am not tolerant or respectful of others' opinions 'by default'. Standing for truth is by nature violent, intolerant.

'"Harassment" is another of those words which, although it seems to refer to a clearly defined fact, functions in a deeply ambiguous way and perpetrates an ideological mystification. At its most elementary, the term designates brutal facts of rape, beating, and other modes of social violence which, of course, should be ruthlessly condemned. However, in the predominant use of the term "harassment," this elementary meaning imperceptibly slips into the condemnation of any excessive proximity of another real human being, with his or her desires, fears and pleasures. Two topics determine today's liberal tolerant attitude towards others: the respect of otherness, openness towards it, and the obsessive fear of harassment. The other is OK insofar as his presence is not intrusive, insofar as the other is not really other. Tolerance coincides with its opposite: my duty to be tolerant towards the other effectively means that I should not get too close to him, not to intrude into his/her space - in short, that I should respect his/her intolerance towards my over-proximity. This is what is more and more emerging as the central 'human right' in late-capitalist society: the right not to be harassed, i.e., to be kept at a safe distance from the others.' 
-Slavoj Zizek, "God is Dead, but He Doesn't Know It"

Despite the Koos character's claims to stand for 'aw shucks' traditionalism , family values and whatnot, the ideological universe of the story is wholly liberal-capitalist.

The choice of the Goofy Movie as the subject for the fictional debate is quite revealing. Any viewer of A Goofy Movie knows that although Goofy feels threatened by the pop artist Powerline (a black 'afrofuturist' artist with a hitop fade and astronaut costume, hailing from LA), the harmony in his family is actually disrupted by the intrusion of a girl. A Goofy Movie is essentially a gender-swapped Forbidden Planet, where Max's encounter with the woman as Object disturbs he and his father's incestuous peace. Find explanation here for why a literal Bigfoot monster appears. Max and Goofy are each trying to make sense of an impossible antagonism, so that Max blames the loss of harmony on the rednecks, and Goofy blames 'rap music'. The moral is, of course, that these are both false targets. The harmony they seek is an impossible fantasy.

This is relevant because the story depicts the SuperMechagodzilla character as a 'terrorist' threat trying to 'destroy our way of life' (despite my consistently voicing support for 'conservative values' in actuality) - an abject creature to be eliminated so that a harmonious, capitalist society can be guaranteed. As in Tumblr, the language of authentic emancipatory movements is appropriated for personal empowerment, divorced from actual class struggle. Imagery of martyrdom is abused.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

I can actually hear zizek shnuffling while reading this

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

hes a dumb rear end idiot

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Come on, that's loving hilarious

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Terribly loquacious; delving rejected

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I've only seen his posts in the Alien thread. He's like that in every thread? Good god.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I can stand being Stymied, Shaggared or Fishmeched but please don't quote SMG again.

While I'm here; who can remember the tale of Lowtax/Forums and THAT WOMAN? I remember it was some games-related drama but the specifics elude me.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

While I'm here; who can remember the tale of Lowtax/Forums and THAT WOMAN? I remember it was some games-related drama but the specifics elude me.

Do you mean that "Wait until the trans-community hears about this?" meltdown? That was something.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Pingiivi posted:

Do you mean that "Wait until the trans-community hears about this?" meltdown? That was something.

I just remember no-one was to mention THAT WOMAN by name but I can't remember the name so job done I guess :o:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Terribly loquacious; delving rejected

Internally surmising why you did that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CannonFodder posted:

Internally surmising why you did that.

Elevated palm, esteemed colleague!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I just remember no-one was to mention THAT WOMAN by name but I can't remember the name so job done I guess :o:

Jade, from Assassin's Creed

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Tweezer Reprise posted:

Chris Moneymaker looks like a goon.

Phil Hellmuth acts like a goon.

BILL FILMAFF?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

SMG is a forums treasure, but I can only take him in small doses.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I figured everyone never read past the first sentence of his posts and just quotes him to be annoying.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Powaqoatse posted:

Come on, that's loving hilarious
Lol yeah I appreciated it at least, a response to the joke in any other style would feel wrong. He made it while a "fyad friend" for the week. (Basically you can only read/post in fyad for the week and you get banned if you abstain.)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Lol yeah I appreciated it at least, a response to the joke in any other style would feel wrong. He made it while a "fyad friend" for the week. (Basically you can only read/post in fyad for the week and you get banned if you abstain.)

Speaking of fyad friends, isn't that why shotgunbadger got permabanned

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

exploded mummy posted:

Speaking of fyad friends, isn't that why shotgunbadger got permabanned
Sounds like something from before I looked at fyad but they don't look permabanned:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=143682

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Maybe he just got trained to FYAD, refused to post and never got the restriction lifted, and reregged on another account.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

exploded mummy posted:

Maybe he just got trained to FYAD, refused to post and never got the restriction lifted, and reregged on another account.

Nah, he got released and then got a namechange. I forget who they are now but it's easy to tell by looking at their rapsheet.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Spanish Manlove posted:

Nah, he got released and then got a namechange. I forget who they are now but it's easy to tell by looking at their rapsheet.

That's not quite it because his actual account hasn't posted since 2011.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

exploded mummy posted:

That's not quite it because his actual account hasn't posted since 2011.

Then I must be thinking of one of the other myriad of dudes who I thought were banned but really just got a namechange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I remember one fella god FYAD so mad at him they prob'd the poor bastard for months, 6 hours at a time. He'd occasionally get a post in before they re-probed him.