Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Haji posted:

and I imagine that would not be a nice experience for the rat.

Might not be a nice experience for the cat either, rats can deliver pretty nasty bites if they want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

Ssthalar posted:

Might not be a nice experience for the cat either, rats can deliver pretty nasty bites if they want to.

Glad I kept them apart for everyone's sake then. No damage done to anyone, but my cat's feelings were definitely hurt that I took away the biggest mouse he's ever seen.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Could also have been a wild rat that ate poison?
Here in Europe at least, the laws about the type of poisons they are allowed to use did get more strict, because that poo poo gets into the ecosystem.
The downside according to the exterminators is that you get a lot of rats running around in a daze for a long time before dying.

Or maybe it just had a cold :)

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Actually, we've started graduating from rat poison to Saw-style nightmare impalement contraptions in the sewer pipes.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Ugh! That's terrible.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Keep in mind that if it's a wild rat and it's trying to get into your place, just putting it back outside achieves literally nothing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
well, Ted's dead. No idea why. He was fine for 3 months, he was drinking last night, but he died within the last couple hours since his body wasn't even stiff yet when I went to pick him up a minute ago. I wish I could have been there for him.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

Captain Invictus posted:

Keep in mind that if it's a wild rat and it's trying to get into your place, just putting it back outside achieves literally nothing.

It end up just randomly running around the front yard forever as if lost. So we caught her again and relocated her to an abandoned building in our neighborhood. A bank owned house that is falling apart. It's a real wreck but it's a good shelter for the rat. I also learned the lesson that I shouldn't just leave my front door open all day. Wild animals will come inside. So.. Rat successfully relocated and reoccurrence less likely.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
I'm going to be moving in a week.

Is there anything I should know about how to make this move as stress free as possible for two hamsters?

They will need to be in the car for at least an hour.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Keep ac on, don't put a water bottle in the carrier as it will leak and, throw a slice of cucumber in the cage for hydration.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Cover cages with sweaters or blankets. An hour is no biggie, they'll be fine.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I feel like I haven't posted my new wee babe enough, tbh I still miss my special girl Cc and I haven't been giving Obi the attention she deserves, she's excellent and has come on so far from the scared little girl we adopted

Wee dwarf (deaf-blind) ham Poe is old and bald and wobbly so I don't want to post pics of him but he's doing his best :unsmith:

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Both hams are moved safely. They both didn't like the idea of waking up during the day to go into the bottom part of their cages for transport. Clover was straight up ready to fight.

But they handled the car trip and the setup at the new place well. I m going to give them a few quiet days to get adjusted.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
I don't normally get to gush about hamsters where it would be more appreciated, so I hope people don't mind a bit of pic spamming.

I have two Chinese hamsters gifted by my girlfriend and I've had them for a little over 1 1/2 years now. Seeing them active at night always brings a little joy and hearing them run on their wheel helps me go to sleep. They're also the chillest hamsters I've had to date, though they're on the shy side.

Here's them just chilling next to each other! You can tell which one is more reserved,

and she usually likes to just chill around my neck and flop like a pancake.

I hear Chinese hamsters like hiding around the neck area for some reason, and these two are no exception.

This one is not only an escape artist, sometimes I'll catch her sitting upright, washing her paws.

I also discovered they like to sort of just hang or cling onto you like koalas. It's super cute! :3: They just sort of hang there quietly and stare. My dwarves never would've stayed still for a picture like this.

:kimchi:

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
If you have a cage mounted wheel for something like a chinchilla, make sure you have enough space on either side of it for a chilla to slide off.

Pippette the Chinchilla got crushed last night, breaking almost every bone in her body because her sister ran in the wheel when she was on top.

It still doesn't feel real. I want to prevent anyone else from the same heartbrrak.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What the gently caress

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Say hello to Barry

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hello Barry!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I don't like the look Barry's giving me, he's clearly up to no good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

Say hello to Barry

First I'm gonna get free. Then I'm gonna gently caress you right up, human. :toughguy:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Please tell Barry from me that he is a cutie pie tiny fuzz man and I like his face

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I clipped Barry's teeth the other day and he went full crazy panic and aerial peed all over me and started machine gunning poops out all over the place. "If you're gonna make me uncomfortable I'm gonna piss and poo poo allllll over you human", basically.

Gonna take a picture of Boobie, so named because his first action upon crawling into my shirt after i got him was to bite my moob as hard as possible

He's way more chill now though and a real sweetie, he's all black except his paws which are white, and he's got a white streak down his belly :3:

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Captain Invictus posted:

Say hello to Barry

He looks super cute.

Here's a picture of a cute mouse I saw playing mini golf in Brussels.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Captain Invictus posted:

Say hello to Barry

Hello Barry :3:

He looks like he is trying his hardest to pose for the picture.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I have a question,
Sometimes we take our dwarf hamster Mariette out of her cage, but inside her house/nest with the roof off.
When you pet her a little while, she starts to make little noises that are hard to describe. Tiny clicking squeaks? It's very adorable, but does it mean "I like this, I'm cosy here in my little nest" or rather "go find your own nest, hairless giant". It looks like she's relaxed (as relaxed as she gets), but I don't know.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mrfart posted:

Here's a picture of a cute mouse I saw playing mini golf in Brussels.

How did it hold the club without opposable thumbs?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Jedit posted:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who had that as their first thought. I was very tempted to post "So what did it score?" and decided against it.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Jedit posted:

Yeah that was it's 'handicap'

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
I think Jasper has plateaued in growth. He got pretty big though!

Babby Jas:

Big Jas:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Royal W posted:

I think Jasper has plateaued in growth. He got pretty big though!

Babby Jas:

Big Jas:

He is very perfectly sized and very beautiful :3:

Xpost:

teenytinymouse posted:

I am better at hams than plants hello child I will open the cage to pet your very soft marbled fur

Maybe not

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I forgot to post pictures of Boobie so here they are. It took about 80 shots before I got a handful of decent ones, basically anytime he was anywhere but my hand, he would immediately start moving. He wanted nothing to do with the camera.

almost every single other one looked like this or worse

everything in focus except the constantly-moving hamster

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
Nibbler, you're drunk. Go home.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
So my girlfriend and I have a chinchilla, N00blet. Here is a GIF of her:

And as she usually looks:

And one of her bi-pedalling:

Anywho, my GF got her as a rescue in 2010/11, at which point she was pregnant (didn't know that at the time; a friend of ours has her son). Point being, we don't know her exact age, though our (and the vet's) best guess is about 10. We're thinking of getting another chinchilla, and were wondering if she's still fertile (as would be a consideration if we get a male). Do chinchillas tend to stay fertile throughout their lives, or does it drop off around a certain age?

Also, on that note, does anyone know of any chinchilla rescues (or breeders) in or around the SF Bay Area? My GF got N00blet from Sacramento, so we're perfectly fine with a half-day drive.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Yes, she would still be fertile at 10 years old. She would be capable of breeding well into her teens, and likely could get pregnant her entire life. You pretty much have to get another female if you don't want babies and don't want to neuter the male(which is generally not a good idea, they handle surgery very poorly). Getting 2 females to get along can sometimes be tricky though, so be prepared for a long acclimation period.

I know you said you wanted to get another rescue, but it would be a lot lot easier to introduce a young, just weened female compared to an adult. Female chinchillas have very strong maternal instincts and will more easily accept a female that they partially raised.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Probably not the right thread, looking for some reassurance mostly. I have a young guinea pig, about 6 months old, who has a broken hind leg, I took him to an exotics vet, he got a radiograph, the break is right above his ankle. They said that splinting it might cause more harm, if it heals straight, he might not be able to use the leg normally afterwards. They gave him a simple bandage around the joint, and a weeks worth of Meticam.

He wiggled out of the bandage the 2nd day, which they warned me would probably happen.

They said it was a stable fracture, and that he would probably heal on his own with limited movement. He has been eating, drinking, pooping ect. pretty normally. I've had him in solitary confinement since the break, in a small petstore cage, and he still moves around to eat and drink, so he seems to be doing alright...

It's been 5 days since his accident, his checkup is supposed to be July 1st.

Does anyone have any advice? Should I ask for another bandage or splint? The vet said that a pin wouldn't be nesessary. I just want to make sure he will heal up and live to his fullest.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

If you're uncertain you should of course ask, that is what you're paying for.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Thanks for the reply, I guess I was just wondering if anyone else had experiences with broken bones in a small animal. I looked around on some other sites, but alot of the threads I found were from younger people who's parents didn't want to take the pig to the vet at all, so I didn't really find an answer to how well their animal healed.

It's not that I don't trust the vet, just that this is the first time I've had guinea pigs, and I've never delt with a broken bone, so I'm probably overthinking it.

He has been pretty perky today, wheeking for food and attention, so I think it's affecting me, more than him.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

the beatles - Amnesiac posted:

It's been 5 days since his accident, his checkup is supposed to be July 1st.

Does anyone have any advice? Should I ask for another bandage or splint? The vet said that a pin wouldn't be nesessary. I just want to make sure he will heal up and live to his fullest.

I've had pigs for a long time but never had one with a broken bone. But, I do think you should call the vet and ask if you should bring him back in to have the bandage redone. I think waiting another 2 weeks could result in it not healing correctly. Or it could be fine, I'm not really sure, but at the very least I think you should give the vet a call and let them know what his current situation is.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Finally found a chew toy that satisfies Runty's fascination with wooden balls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvdHUUmQ8uw

That large one in the center should last her a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Coleslaw is doing great! His leg seems to be healing fine, I saw him using it to scratch himself, so I gave him a bit of floor time. He is still favoring it some, but he's running about like a mad man, just so happy to have some space to move! He still has a week in his little cage before his checkup, so I'm still going to play it safe, but it gives me a lot of hope to see him doing so well.

Can't wait until I have to deep-clean the cage and manage his re-introduction with with his buddy, Copper. They've been talking to eachother the whole time though, so hopefully it goes smoothly!