Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Blaze Dragon posted:

You're happier that way, believe me. No one deserves to watch Prince of Darkness.

If I was able to remove two mecha series from history, they'd be Prince of Darkness and Eureka Seven AO.

I was planning on watching it because SRW is raising so many questions about what goes on between now and the movie, but is it really that bad? What's wrong with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

PoD kind of feels like the type of story Nadesico set out to satirize to begin with, but played without much of the self-awareness that made the show stand out. Ruri is made the lead and doesn't work too well in that role, Akito has become an edgy 90's XTREME humorless character, Yurika is barely in the movie etc.

I think its worth watching at least once just for how infamous it is.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So, PoD is infamous for how dramatic the tone shift is. It also relies on you having played a SegaCD visual novel that filled in the plot going from post series to PoD. So Just same as above, Ruri is the lead, Akito is turned into Dark Knight Returns Batman. Yurika is barely in the movie and the times she is makes you wish otherwise. There's a few good mech fights and the Black Selena rules, but overall it stomps all over what the first show was about. Original series Nadesico got serious at Times, but I still feel that it's this really fun, loving show that cares about the cast and audience.

I actually don't hate PoD as a standalone title. I think if it didn't say Nadesico on it then it could be a Zeorymer-like show where the mech action is really fun and nonsensical, but everything else is chiched and riffable. The fact is says Nadesico on it ruins all of that and takes away from a show that genuinely stuck with me.

SethSeries fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 8, 2017

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Prince of Darkness has a few decent scenes with some of the supporting cast. It's not a particularly good movie but I feel like its badness gets played up way too much. Despite the script being fairly bad it's directed well enough that it's a quick watch.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I have not watched PoD, but I'm a little suspect that it's that much a departure from the show's tone, given that Nadesico was an incredibly pessimistic show beneath it's cheerful veneer.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Nadesico handled the balancing act well. PoD does not. People are not exaggerating when they say that Akito becomes Dark Knight Returns Batman. He is described as having a voice that sounds like he is being crushed in a vice.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm not defending Akito the Shadow the Hedgehog or anything, but not "balancing" and just being flat dark does seem like the logical conclusion to what the series was going for.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 8, 2017

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm not defending Akito the Shadow the Hedgehog or anything, but "not balancing" and just being flat dark does seem like the logical conclusion to what the series was going for.

Given the show's pedigree it was almost definitely building towards something with Akito's darker turn, but since they wasn't able to get the additional movies they planned for (I'm assuming they were planning on more, at least) it winds up being quite the non-starter that can at best only be speculated on.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The story goes that PoD was the first of a trilogy but because everybody hated it and it sold terribly because of that they never made the next two which supposedly would have done something with the story. I don't know if any single part of that true, including if it sold terribly or not.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I remember that Nadesico The Mission for Dreamcast continued the story of the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hslEQqY1Rrw

I don't know how the game ends, or if it's any good, but at least it looks like the tone is closer to the TV show.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kind of reminds me of the Escaflowne Movie, another Darker And Serious attempt that more or less completely missed the spirit and point of the original.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Srice posted:

Given the show's pedigree it was almost definitely building towards something with Akito's darker turn, but since they wasn't able to get the additional movies they planned for (I'm assuming they were planning on more, at least) it winds up being quite the non-starter that can at best only be speculated on.

I haven't seen Nadesico in a few years but my recollection is that while it was pretty light hearted on the whole it tended to have an overall serious episode every now and then to help set up a point and then puncture it later. My impression has always been that Prince of Darkness was meant to be the same too, with subsequent movies being much more fun affairs after the set up of the first establishes the story, setting and tone they want to play with and examine. Mind you, I suppose in retrospect they should probably have included at least some of that within the film itself, perhaps in the final act to help establish what they were trying to do (assuming they were trying to do it in the first place).

Nate RFB posted:

Kind of reminds me of the Escaflowne Movie, another Darker And Serious attempt that more or less completely missed the spirit and point of the original.

I enjoy the Escaflowne TV animation but I'll always love the movie too, simply because the animation is gorgeous and there's a few cool ideas here and there. The story and characters are forgettable dross that the TV show did much better, but I love the opening flight sequence and especially the music accompanying it, the following fight sequence of Vann single handedly taking on an airship to get Escaflowne and the single mecha fight later in the movie where Vann takes on Dilandau. It's one of my favorite fights full stop, just because the movie isn't afraid to make things slow (relatively at least) and you can see not just each swing of the unit's swords lining up, but characters correcting to account for the opponents movements without having to slow the film's speed or re-watch it half a dozen times to see one frame.

I'll also admit that Escaflowne running on the pilot's blood and the whole sequence around it are just hilariously badass to me as well. It's a really edgy, stupid concept and the movie doesn't even do much to justify it or explore the concept but it's so cool I don't even care. My inner 13 year old has a field day every time I watch it I guess.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I finished watching Nadesico, it was really good and I liked it. Then I watched the movie and got bored halfway through because oh man that is some hot garbage right there. I kind of started to tune it out when they revealed that Yurika was the magical techno-warp box now? That's dumb.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Thread on the upcoming mazinger z film
https://twitter.com/Eldur_380/status/874991674178621441

quote:

-The goal is really to have a Mazinger Z work that is up to date with today's society
-A new source of photonics energy has been discovered and the world has taken a new turn. This is the world they want to make Mazinger evolve
-The new Mazinger Z movie will have Koji Kabuto faced with the different visions and interpretations of Justice
-The movie will take place 10 years after the show and will introduce a new character named Lisa. She's kind of a contrast to Sayaka

-The movie will use 2D and CGI animation
-The robots will be in 3D and the characters in 2D. The same methods as in Digimon Tri and Precure will probably be used

https://twitter.com/Eldur_380/status/875001864550404098
https://twitter.com/Eldur_380/status/875002325668171779
https://twitter.com/Eldur_380/status/875004365152690176

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Saying it happens "10 years after the show" is hilariously worthless for Mazinger. What show? Does it take Great Mazinger and Grendizer as canon? Mazinkaiser? Hell, Zero?

There's like a million continuities that branch out of each other if they aren't on their own to begin with.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Who's doing the VA work for Kouji?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
You didn't post the image of Mazinger Z! How could you skip out on the robot?

https://twitter.com/Eldur_380/status/875001486983430144

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Who's doing the VA work for Kouji?
My gut says his Shin Mazinger VA will be offered the role, since IIRC his original 70s VA is fully retired.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Saying it happens "10 years after the show" is hilariously worthless for Mazinger. What show? Does it take Great Mazinger and Grendizer as canon? Mazinkaiser? Hell, Zero?
Yes.

I didn't even know there was a Mazinger Z movie and now I'm super stoked because oh man I just finished watching Getter Robo: Armageddon (It was awesome and I wholly regret waiting this long to watch it) and was lamenting that I didn't have any more Mazinger Z to consume as well.

EDIT: So I've almost got my friend convinced robot anime is cool. He's about to watch some Getter, is on the fence with Mazinger Z and absolutely loved Big O and Evangelion (hated the rebuilds though). So, do you guys have any suggestions for series that capture the style or tone of Big O or Eva at all? I've run through most of my good ideas already and we've got a few cool things to watch.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 15, 2017

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
RahXephon. Maybe.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Brain Powerd. :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Raxivace posted:

Brain Powerd. :v:

:ughh:

The opening theme is like the only good thing about that anime. It just fell apart the further along it went.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Dai-Guard. It's really good. Way lighter tone, but it has a very "what if NERV had to actually deal with bureaucracy" kinda vibe to it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A lot of animators on Big O had previously worked on Giant Robo, both series do an excellent job at giving the robots this bulky, weighty feel in their movements.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nuebot posted:

EDIT: So I've almost got my friend convinced robot anime is cool. He's about to watch some Getter, is on the fence with Mazinger Z and absolutely loved Big O and Evangelion (hated the rebuilds though). So, do you guys have any suggestions for series that capture the style or tone of Big O or Eva at all? I've run through most of my good ideas already and we've got a few cool things to watch.

I think you best bet might be Tetsujin 28 (2004). It's a little more anti-industrial than anti-corporate, but it otherwise has a lot in common with Big O and Eva.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Tetsujin 28 (2004) isn't anti-industrial at all? It is explicitly about Japan entering the post-ww2 industrial boom, which is portrayed as a good thing, and nearly all the villains are people who refuse to let go of the war and let society progress.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cam of the mazinger PV
https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/875133341162328069

the CG looks okay, I guess.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Motto posted:

Cam of the mazinger PV

:eyepop: I'm still not used to a more visually detailed Mazinger but dang, that classic theme is great.

Srice posted:

A lot of animators on Big O had previously worked on Giant Robo, both series do an excellent job at giving the robots this bulky, weighty feel in their movements.

Yeah I looked up some of that and I think that's what we're going to move on to next. Apparently the director also worked on Karas, which while not mecha has always been one of my personal favorite OVAs.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Some of the detailing makes the machine look like it's just cracked, especially around the head.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Motto posted:

Cam of the mazinger PV

crosses "witness the death of the mecha genre" off bucket list

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

GorfZaplen posted:

The mecha genre has been through worse. As far as "visual adaptations" go this isn't on the same planet as, say, REIDEEN.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

GorfZaplen posted:

I don't see what was so bad about that PV?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

A cool image by Yasuda Akira for a Gundam art book.

two seconds later:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 17, 2017

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I like how blase Kihel is in that image. Though I think only Dianna wore that outfit in the show, so maybe it's her and that's just a Dianna doll under the couch. The eyes are a bit too small to use that tell. Who are the two in the back of the image (red haired dude and blue haired girl)? Don't recognize them at all.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

tsob posted:

I like how blase Kihel is in that image. Though I think only Dianna wore that outfit in the show, so maybe it's her and that's just a Dianna doll under the couch. The eyes are a bit too small to use that tell. Who are the two in the back of the image (red haired dude and blue haired girl)? Don't recognize them at all.

That's Tristan and Aeon, the male and female lead from the surprisingly great PS2 JRPG MS Saga(Gundam True Odyssey in Japan).

Frankly, I'm absolutely amazed that anyone else remembered that game existed.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

That's Tristan and Aeon, the male and female lead from the surprisingly great PS2 JRPG MS Saga(Gundam True Odyssey in Japan).

I actually have a copy but have never played it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Midjack posted:

I actually have a copy but have never played it.

You should, it's actually pretty fun. You get your mechs and can customize them with various parts to optimize them as you see fit and equip weapons on them by slotting guns, swords and shields into a grid-system turning arming your mobile suits into inventory tetris. The biggest issue is that late-game stuff tends to reduce the need for any kind of customization by offering up gundams that are already the best available in their stat so there's no need to swap out parts unless you really want to give heavyarms some rocket hands or something.

Kanos posted:

:eyepop: I never thought I'd see that game get acknowledged outside of weird LPs. Shame the game wasn't more popular or whatever, really. I wouldn't mind more like it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Was on a YouTube stroll the other day, and received a reminder that even if little else of the show has aged well, Vandread's first opening theme is really goddamned great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSA_gVBPvYY

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd be up for a Vandread revival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Anime is good.