Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zamujasa posted:

Eh. Have both, the PowerPak is worse, plus uses CF instead of SD so it's awkward to mess with files. Plus you have to run some arcane sorting bullshit if you want your files listed properly.

But Mr. Gimmick works with the sound properly on the Powerpak. Or did that finally get fixed on the N8?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Twenty pages ago (sorry, I am trying to catch up) but this is exactly the case for Mortal Kombat Trilogy. Every single one of them has their own gigantic problems that the other version does not have. N64 one has all the characters, but looks shittier and has way worse sound. The PS1 version has awful loading and is missing characters and fatalities. The DOS and Windows ports are just ports of the PS1 version.

I really wish someone would make a perfect version of it.

You don't need to own any version because they're all weird but the N64 version is the one MK diehards still play - the other versions are basically just UMK3 with extra poo poo crammed in but the N64 version has system-level changes that affect the balance of the game in ways that higher-level players seem to prefer.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You don't need to own any version because they're all weird but the N64 version is the one MK diehards still play - the other versions are basically just UMK3 with extra poo poo crammed in but the N64 version has system-level changes that affect the balance of the game in ways that higher-level players seem to prefer.

ah, cool. I did not know that. I just wish it had the sound quality of the PS1 version. IIRC the graphics were even worse on the N64 one too, homehow?

There was a rumor that an arcade version motherboard was unearthed but it was a hoax. :sigh:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm going to apologize right now because I forgot to switch the Super GameBoy color palette when getting my pics and because of the nature of this game, I can't go back and redo them without a big headache. I even said to myself while I was getting everything set up, "Don't forget to switch the palette." But here is the moment you've all been waiting for:

KAWAII USAGI!

So this is actually a GameBoy Color game, but one of those that were compatible with the original system. And this game was released at pretty much the height of Tamagotchi mania in Japan so even before I switched it on I was pretty sure I was getting some Japanese child's nearly twenty year old virtual pet. When I selected "continue" would there be something horrifying awaiting me? Could Kawaii Usagi already be dead?

I'm going to keep you in suspense a bit longer.

This is actually part of a series of games about animals all called "Kawaii" something. There's Kawaii Hamster (which got a sequel!), Kawaii Koneko (kitten). and Kawaii Koinu (puppy) if bunnies aren't kawaii enough for you. There's a continuation of the series onto the GBA and there the puppy game is subtitled "Let's Play with Wanko!" which was so silly I had to mention it (it's probably because "wan" is Japanese onomatopoeia for barking and "ko" for child making this really something like "Let's Play with Yappy!"). The games also have link cable support so your kawaii animals can play with each other.

Enough of that, though. Let's collapse the wave function what Schöedinger's kawaii usagi has become.

http://i.imgur.com/IQ37EgC.gifv

Kawaii usagi is alive!

So here's what I've been able to figure out. From the main view, you just watch kawaii usagi frolic. You can bring up a menu that gives you options of things to do with him (her? hare? Pick whichever one you like).

Kawaii usagi is apparently at friendship level nine despite being abandoned for over a decade. The stars in the upper right hand corner are the currency for actions you can take to make kawaii usagi even more happy. It cost stars to clean the litter box, give him food, play with him, and anything else.

I brushed his fur, cleaned up the grass, and then gave him some dandelions to eat:

(You bet your rear end if there's anything animated that this bunny does I'm going to show it to you.)

Later, I took Kawaii Usagi to the park:

With an understanding that I was spending stars to make that bunny happier, I decided to do all the long overdue cleaning of the cage. Immediately after I cleaned the litter box this happened:

So now I'm trying to figure out how to earn stars. I suspect that it's clock based given that it is a virtual pet and I had max stars when I turned it on, but after an hour I still have not recovered any stars. Is it based on watching Kawaii Usagi frolic? Is it every six hours? Every day? I need to pull apart the cart to check for a clock but I can't find my tool kit

There is a darkside to Kawaii Usagi. On the cart, I discovered the graveyard of the cute bunnies:

How many cute bunnies had to die so that Kawaii Usagi could live?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

el_caballo posted:

Maybe this isn't the place for Retroarch questions but:
Why do I get texture tearing in full screen mode but not in windowed? I'm pretty sure I've hosed with every single video setting. I've only been using it for SNES stuff on the bsnes mercury core.

Starting with Vista (I think?), all windows are natively vsync'd or triple buffered (or both?). In Vista and 7 you can turn that off by using a non-Aero theme (like Basic). I skipped Win8 so I'm not sure about that one, but in 10 you cannot change themes to turn it off at all. RetroArch is fine in this regard because it has a real fullscreen mode, but I used to use BizHawk which does not.

Vsync/triple buffering looks nice, but introduces a lot of input lag. In 2D games, I prefer to deal with screen tearing over laggy controls.

Random Stranger posted:

With an understanding that I was spending stars to make that bunny happier, I decided to do all the long overdue cleaning of the cage. Immediately after I cleaned the litter box this happened:

Anyone who has ever butlered a cat will know this all too well.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/brOrayn/status/874734934052675584

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

:swoon:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

I was hoping something like this would be released, glad I held off on buying more controllers (I have the NES30 & Retro Receiver for my NES Classic, but that's it so far).

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

That looks freaking amazing.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Hey, there's Switch system buttons in the corners! Neat!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yup. Buying that

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

How many shoulder buttons does that have?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Instant Sunrise posted:

How many shoulder buttons does that have?

If they're anything like the NES30 Pros, then 4.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Seattle retro game expo is this weekend http://www.seattleretro.org/
Even though it's never been nearly as impressive as the Portland retro game expo, I'll still check it out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I feel like this is in my future. I already have like twenty different SFC30s for things around my house and office, what's one or two more?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So Might and Magic 1 update. I was premature in saying that I was ready to head out into the world at level 3. While I could handle some groups outside, there were plenty that just kicked my rear end. Minor demons in particular were nightmares since they could hit my for almost all my HP in one shot with their magic attack and they tended to show up in huge groups. The next closest dungeon had similar problems where I could fight some of the monsters in the area but most of them just kicked me over. I ran into problems over and over again where I'd find some awesome new equipment, and then get caught by a killer group as I tried to get back to town so I wouldn't lose it.

Then I discovered the wells in the secret area near town. Drinking from them randomly raises a stat or level of a character to 30 for the next fight. Not bad, but I discovered that if you do not turn and bonk the wall in front of you after drinking, you get to drink again. So I could turn my characters from wimps into gods for one fight. And there were two of these wells right next to each other with a super monster group between them. That became the easy way to grind up a few more levels as I could attack that big group and another big group, then go back to town to reset the wells.

Also in the process, I finally started getting money because I could fight monsters that had good drops and just due to luck I got all of my characters some usable equipment. At level 5 I finally got spells that could affect more than one monster at a time making my sorcerer finally useful in combat even if he's popping gems like candy. And that's when I decided to do something stupid: I teleported to another town to complete a quest and then decided to check out what was around the town. Turns out that my party is actually working finally and I can get around in the world. Unfortunately, because this was just a "let me see if I can do anything" I didn't bother with mapping and I stumbled into a few different towns, some castles, got some really good equipment, and wasn't really tracking my progress. I finally remembered that the fly spell exists so I could return to safety with my loot, but I'm going to have to go back to square one (hah!) for mapping.

I wish that opening hadn't been so slow, but now I'm really hitting the meat of the game and it's so much fun.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"
The current owner and founder of Intellivision Productions, Keith Robinson, passed away today. Very nice man and he had been very good about keeping the Intellivision name and licensing out there.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

overthefalls posted:

The current owner and founder of Intellivision Productions, Keith Robinson, passed away today. Very nice man and he had been very good about keeping the Intellivision name and licensing out there.

He was on the Intellivisionaries podcast all the time. Seemed like a hell of a great guy. We are losing too many of the golden age of Dork people now. Its even worse in the tabletop scene.

Anyhow, what I came to post. I have been working on a project for many months off and on. Collections of game released commercially to give one lots and lots of fun games to play while keeping that sweet sweet IP and trademark thingie going.

http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2017/06/anthologies-of-interest-consoles-and.html I have entirely too much of these things. And this is just part one, the Console Part. (The computer one will be in the Retro Computer Gaming thread.) Like I have an effective legal arcade utopia with all these compilations. I do plan on seeing what other emulation repack type things I have that were digital only like the Hamster PS4 stuff and Irem later which is why there is that massive gamelist text at the end just covering arcade and Neo Geo. (Mainly because arcade alone was melting my brain. Trying to collate and count Atari 2600 or Intellivision titles would be a path to madness!)

Dang though. The news of Keith Robinson makes me want to pull out my so ugly its great Sears brand Intellivision and play some Snafu or Burger Time. Since I have a classic CRT setup with composite and S Video rockin now for Guncon fun:

I have 3 more PS1 Guncon games either on hand or on their way here meaning I am only missing Elemental Gearbolt for US titles for Guncon 1. I think I only need Dino Stalker for Guncon 2. Sadly/thankfully a gently caress ton of Guncon compatible gun games were JPN or PAL lands only. And I used an electronics duster to clean the PS2 vents after this pic was taken too. Photos of my stuff is a solid way to both organize what I have and give em a good cleaning.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I have all of the PS2 guncon games and most of the PS1 ones, but I got rid of all my CRT TVs and lost the USB adapter for the one lightgun I have that works with LCD screens :negative:

I'm gonna have to buy a whole new light gun just to get another dongle.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
I picked up two Enforcers over the years for my PS1, but I've never gotten around to testing them. There are games that support two-player enforcer setups? I'd assume, for instance, the Lethal Enforcers compilation does?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

absolutely anything posted:

well i meant genesis games yeah obviously sonic 06 is the actual worst thing with the word sonic on it, but as bad as wacky workbench is boy fuckin sandopolis is just the loving worrrrrrst

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is one of my favorite games of all time, but to this day I'll sometimes get stuck in a loop in Sandopolis Act 2 until I time out. Even so, I don't think it's a terrible level, just an unusually stressful and confusing one. It almost feels like it belongs in Donkey Kong Country.

Labyrinth Zone was where Sonic 1 ended unless I used the level select when I was a kid, but I actually really like it now. Scrap Brain Zone still messes me up, though.

Your enjoyment of the Sonic 2 special zones depends completely upon whether or not you're playing as both Sonic & Tails.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

I have all of the PS2 guncon games and most of the PS1 ones, but I got rid of all my CRT TVs and lost the USB adapter for the one lightgun I have that works with LCD screens :negative:

I'm gonna have to buy a whole new light gun just to get another dongle.

Wait, there are PS2 lightguns that work with LCD's? :stare:

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Seconded, gonna need more info on this please

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Gaz2k21 posted:

Seconded, gonna need more info on this please

There's a few, they involve using external sensors kinda like a wiimote but even more advanced.

Works with MAME games like Area 51 or PS2 games like ninja assault or time crisis 2. I think for some reason lots of PS1 games didn't work with it, but PS2 games definitely did, and I think a few PS1 games did too?

Here's the one I got:

http://www.play-asia.com/ems-topgun-iii/13/704e7s

It also features a motor to kick the top of the gun when you shoot, which feels perfect for time crisis like in the arcades. It also has a turbo / automatic fire feature, and a targeting laser (that you can turn off, which I preferred because I don't want a laser reflecting off my TV!)

Some of the reviews on playasia say bad things about it, but it worked perfectly for me until I lost the drat USB dongle that it needs to connect to the PS2 :smith: I do recommend one and I'm very much thinking about ordering another.

You do have to install the sensors and calibrate them though. And a tip: I wouldn't use the included putty to attach the sensors, its a bitch to get off your TV. Buy some tape or velcro straps or something when you go to attach them, get creative.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Speaking of lost dongles, I swear to loving God the PS2 Remote I bought around launch keeps doing this in the 15 years since: I'll find either the dongle OR the remote. But never both at the same time. Always months apart.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Captain Rufus posted:

I have 3 more PS1 Guncon games either on hand or on their way here meaning I am only missing Elemental Gearbolt for US titles for Guncon 1. I think I only need Dino Stalker for Guncon 2. Sadly/thankfully a gently caress ton of Guncon compatible gun games were JPN or PAL lands only. And I used an electronics duster to clean the PS2 vents after this pic was taken too. Photos of my stuff is a solid way to both organize what I have and give em a good cleaning.

I've got a pretty good collection of PS1 and PS2 light gun games, but I've been having trouble finding Gunfighter and Maximum Force (I got really lucky on Elemental Gearbolt). The Japanese games I'm not as worried about the difficulty in collecting them.

Zaphod42 posted:

Works with MAME games like Area 51 or PS2 games like ninja assault or time crisis 2. I think for some reason lots of PS1 games didn't work with it, but PS2 games definitely did, and I think a few PS1 games did too?

Here's the one I got:

http://www.play-asia.com/ems-topgun-iii/13/704e7s

That's pretty great. It looks like with a PS2 it only functions as a GunCon 2 which locks it out of a few other games, though the best ones are GunCon 2 so it's not a huge loss.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Does anyone know if the 64dd roms work unmodified on the everdrive 64 v2.5?

edit: and will they work zipped?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

SnatchRabbit posted:

edit: and will they work zipped?

Get em from the Smokemonster (google it). Also, nothing works zipped on Everdrives.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SnatchRabbit posted:

As a reminder, running them off of a flashcart prevents you from using the matching accessory cartridges, which are necessary for much of the library to work or do anything of use.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

fishmech posted:

As a reminder, running them off of a flashcart prevents you from using the matching accessory cartridges, which are necessary for much of the library to work or do anything of use.

Wait, as in the controller/rumble/transfer paks?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

This is a great video John's Arcade just put up yesterday. It's an awesome watch for anyone who followed that great Sky Skipper story from a long time back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QynhZdfS7C4

:aaa: Holy cow, they unveiled this at SFGE last weekend! What a cool project!

I was there Friday but not Saturday. I would have loved to check this out in person.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Instant Sunrise posted:

Nah, the 64DD had lots of specific accessories, like a mouse and keyboard and video capture device, which won't work if you have an flashcart version, and the games that need those accessories don't really work without them. That's what fishmech was talkin bout.

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah, the 64DD had lots of specific accessories, like a mouse and keyboard and video capture device, which won't work if you have an flashcart version, and the games that need those accessories don't really work without them. That's what fishmech was talkin bout.

Zaphod42 posted:

F-Zero X track editor is the only DD accessory I need to work (it does).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Instant Sunrise posted:

No, things like the modem and the video capture card. They plug directly into the cartridge slot, so it's impossible to use them with a flashcart inserted.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, but who has those things?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Has N64 emulation improved at all, or is it still as poo poo as ever

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah, but who has those things?

There's only 10 disks released for the system, and 3 of them require cartridge slot expansions to unction at all, and one or two of the others have some features that use 'em. They're pretty important things to have if you're going to bother with running the N64 DD software at all.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

fishmech posted:

No, things like the modem and the video capture card. They plug directly into the cartridge slot, so it's impossible to use them with a flashcart inserted.

Clearly we need a new version of the N64 Everdrive that works like Sonic & Knuckles or a Game Genie

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What's a good/accurate/SRL approved SNES emulator for Mac? It looks like higan doesn't work out of the box and SNES9x doesn't have Mac binaries from what I've seen.

e: nm found a 1.53 dmg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Willo567 posted:

Has N64 emulation improved at all, or is it still as poo poo as ever

There was some guy trying to make a cycle accurate emulator but it's just a hobby for him so progress is very slow/non-existent.

• Locked thread