Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

predicto posted:

Yep. IT is an inspirational guy who can score, but it's not enough. If you can cash him in for a defensive big and replace him with Fultz in the starting rotation, your team defense immediately improves by leaps and bounds even though Fultz won't be very good as a rookie. Sign in Hayward to pick up some of IT's scoring slack. Trade a bunch of chips for Jimmy Butler. Now you are really creating something scary.

LBJ is just straight up laughing at a trio of Hayward, Butler and Fultz.

Niwrad posted:

Paul George is a better player than Kevin Love. He can guard the best wing which won't wear Lebron out as much. He makes their defense immensely better (which was their biggest issue).

Lebron has to play the 4 against Golden State anyways who is the only team that matters to Cleveland. That team with George matches up much better.

Counterintuitively, PG13 seems to be simultaneously deteriorating and gaining more stature as some defensive juggernaut.

A -.3 DBPM this last season leaves a lot to be desired.

Niwrad posted:

I officially did not renew my Bulls tickets today. The sales person sounded pretty desperate so I'm guessing season ticket sales are way down. I did say I would renew if they fired GarPax which she thought was me making a joke.

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Remember when Kyrie tried the stepback three that won the finals the previous year and Kevin Durant unfurled his spider limbs and threw it back in his face

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

EvanTH posted:

Remember when Kyrie tried the stepback three that won the finals the previous year and Kevin Durant unfurled his spider limbs and threw it back in his face

..i still haven't watched the second half of game 5

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

NeuroticErotica posted:

It's mixed with him as an owner. He probably trusted Doc too much. Everything in the Ballmer era feels weird. The Clippers have always been LA's second team, but now it feels like they've really doubled down on being the generic brand. The logos, the uniforms. Chuck the Condor really represents the Ballmer era so well. He feels contrived and focused grouped, yet not really targeting anything. He's also a giant ad for Converse. From his name to his design, it's all an ad. For all the research the did on Chuck, they gave him no lovable qualities. There's nothing to like about Chuck. He has no personality. He's not Cuddly, or Funny, or Anything. He's a mascot for the sake of having a mascot. Everything inside the Staples center has now become an advertisement. Not like the usual stuff - like the Half Court shot to win a Toyota Tundra from Johnny Mnemonic Toyota - like during timeouts now, they'll play ads on the jumbotrons, or, have blatant ad performances on the court. They had one for some razor scooter knockoff and it was basically "Well Chuck likes riding it". They had one for swiffers that was just little kids coming out to dancing with swiffers. Some adults joined them with their own swiffers. When they were walking off the court you could see them just shaking their heads.

I'm not against sponsorships by any means, but it's really hurt going to the game. (More than recent Clipper performance has)

I don't know that's necessarily true. It's nice to have all the LA teams in one destination (minus Dodgers). It's one of the few bits of unity this city has to it. I also think that a lot of the newer Clipper fans, the luxury box crew in particular, is still scared to go below the 10.

They'll be moving next to the Rams and Chargers

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Oh and Jerry West is leaving the Warriors to join the Clippers, after Jeanie Buss turned down his offer to return ot the Lakers, despite being one of the major people who blamed Jim Buss for chasing off West and not rehiring him when he joined the Warriors.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Brolander posted:

..i still haven't watched the second half of game 5

You should watch it for LeBron in the fourth. He's the best player I've ever seen and there was nobody else on his team. It was glorious and amazing and completely hopeless. It was like watching uhhh let's say Prince Lazar Hrebeljanović trying to holding back the Turk during the Battle of Kosovo 1389 or Sarah Kerrigan getting overrun during the Fall of Tarsonis in February 2500

edit: February not March

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 15, 2017

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

The Glumslinger posted:

Oh and Jerry West is leaving the Warriors to join the Clippers, after Jeanie Buss turned down his offer to return ot the Lakers, despite being one of the major people who blamed Jim Buss for chasing off West and not rehiring him when he joined the Warriors.

It's a big loss for GSW. Their main talent evaluator is now the owner's son. And Steve Kerr.

I heard he didn't want to go to LAL because he and Magic would clash. But who knows?

EvanTH posted:

You should watch it for LeBron in the fourth. He's the best player I've ever seen and there was nobody else on his team. It was glorious and amazing and completely hopeless. It was like watching uhhh let's say Prince Lazar Hrebeljanović trying to holding back the Turk during the Battle of Kosovo 1389 or Sarah Kerrigan getting overrun during the Fall of Tarsonis in February 2500

LeBron "Sisyphus" James. He was incredible all series. He had, what, one bad playoff game this season?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
https://twitter.com/NBA_Math/status...096525549993985

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

who all remembers mark eaton the walking mountain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7rLoN0SHy8

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i guess moody/harris/murray/jokic/juancho???

could be fun to watch

gallo is probably gone, chandler probably gone, maybe faried, i hope to god they dont resign plumlee, only question is what comes in. probably a c or SF

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

EvanTH posted:

who all remembers mark eaton the walking mountain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7rLoN0SHy8

Jesus loving Christ :lol: I knew he was a huge shot-blocking monster but I'd never seen that clip

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

EvanTH posted:

edit: February not March

6 left in the 3rd right now. brief hope even though i know the outcome. cavs getting molested on every play

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Spite posted:

LeBron "Sisyphus" James. He was incredible all series. He had, what, one bad playoff game this season?

Yup! He was absent in the loss to Boston, was a weird anomaly.

Brolander posted:

6 left in the 3rd right now. brief hope even though i know the outcome. cavs getting molested on every play

Kyrie gets injured at some point and is allowed to stay in the game unable to move correctly because the Cavs don't have a coach

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 15, 2017

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

EvanTH posted:

Yup! He was absent in the loss to Boston, was a weird anomaly.

Kyrie gets injured at some point and is allowed to stay in the game unable to move correctly because the Cavs don't have a coach

lebron to TT lob was sick. kyrie is sick

every time i see rjeff guarding KD i get sad

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

NeuroticErotica posted:

It's mixed with him as an owner. He probably trusted Doc too much. Everything in the Ballmer era feels weird. The Clippers have always been LA's second team, but now it feels like they've really doubled down on being the generic brand. The logos, the uniforms. Chuck the Condor really represents the Ballmer era so well. He feels contrived and focused grouped, yet not really targeting anything. He's also a giant ad for Converse. From his name to his design, it's all an ad. For all the research the did on Chuck, they gave him no lovable qualities. There's nothing to like about Chuck. He has no personality. He's not Cuddly, or Funny, or Anything. He's a mascot for the sake of having a mascot. Everything inside the Staples center has now become an advertisement. Not like the usual stuff - like the Half Court shot to win a Toyota Tundra from Johnny Mnemonic Toyota - like during timeouts now, they'll play ads on the jumbotrons, or, have blatant ad performances on the court. They had one for some razor scooter knockoff and it was basically "Well Chuck likes riding it". They had one for swiffers that was just little kids coming out to dancing with swiffers. Some adults joined them with their own swiffers. When they were walking off the court you could see them just shaking their heads.

I'm not against sponsorships by any means, but it's really hurt going to the game. (More than recent Clipper performance has)

I don't know that's necessarily true. It's nice to have all the LA teams in one destination (minus Dodgers). It's one of the few bits of unity this city has to it. I also think that a lot of the newer Clipper fans, the luxury box crew in particular, is still scared to go below the 10.

It's weird to say this but I think Sterling understood how to market the Clippers to LA really well. Even when it was in Staples it didn't completely lose the grit of the Sports Arena and didn't try to sanitize it or market at families too hard. It might have just been out of neglect rather than intentional but it worked.

I sort of agree that just another place in LA County isn't a wonderful idea, and that they should go to Orange County or IE so they have access to a fanbase that might not otherwise make the trip to Staples. But I do think arenas have identity and that Staples is just too attached to the Lakers. The building is owned by the richest portion of the Lakers ownership group, and even as silent partners they have influence in what happens in the arena, and I think the fact that they dislike Ballmer can't help things.

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

If he's building a whole new arena why doesn't he move the team to Seattle? Was there something in the contract about not moving it when he bought the team?

Also I agree with the Clippers feeling like the most soulless corporate team in the league w/r/t design and overall presentation

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Zogo posted:

The notion that one can throw a bunch of guys with good numbers together and defeat LBJ in the playoffs. It isn't true. The 2017 finals was good evidence of that considering two elite MVPs (unlike anything found in the EC) were still threatened by LBJ.

You know if it weren't for the cavaliers going nuclear/being gifted 22 free throws in 11 minutes we would all be looking at this finals entirely differently. Over time I think the 2017 warriors win will be viewed as essentially inevitable

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

If he's building a whole new arena why doesn't he move the team to Seattle? Was there something in the contract about not moving it when he bought the team?

Also I agree with the Clippers feeling like the most soulless corporate team in the league w/r/t design and overall presentation

Relocation fees plus... Who the gently caress leaves LA for Seattle, even as second fiddle? Maybe in a few years if the franchise is cratering/the stadium deal sucks/Seattle is tossing $750 million at him

Imagine the luxury box opportunities in LA vs Seattle. Forget ticket sales, that's small potatoes.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Local TV deal in LA has to trump what you'd get in Seattle.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I made alot of dwill photo posts when he was going nuts but then he died during the finals so idk I do like him but whhhjj

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

A bad team in LA would be more valuable to own than a good team in Seattle. The population difference is too great.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

I'm sad to see Jerry West go there, but their dorky billionaire owner is good.

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/875202870517288960

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The worst part for me is the Lakers could've had him but Jeanie chose Magic.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The very first NBA game I attended was a Hornets/Magic game in the 90s.

Years before that the first NBA player I learned about was Magic Johnson. This is easily my earliest memory of any NBA player. The offseason is the perfect time to share this sweet video. I had no idea who this guy was but his name was Magic and he was friends with Pee Wee.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HIyMLBg2NA

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 15, 2017

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

The Glumslinger posted:

They'll be moving next to the Rams and Chargers

Who will both have their problems drawing people down there. Who wants to basically go to the airport to watch terrible teams play?

Rick posted:

It's weird to say this but I think Sterling understood how to market the Clippers to LA really well. Even when it was in Staples it didn't completely lose the grit of the Sports Arena and didn't try to sanitize it or market at families too hard. It might have just been out of neglect rather than intentional but it worked.

Yeah, it's weird to say but... I believe it, too. Part of it was the free tickets for poorer neighborhoods all the way to Long Beach and beyond. Created a completely different atmosphere in the building - nobody there to see an be seen, but people who actually wanted to go to a basketball game.

Rick posted:

I sort of agree that just another place in LA County isn't a wonderful idea, and that they should go to Orange County or IE so they have access to a fanbase that might not otherwise make the trip to Staples. But I do think arenas have identity and that Staples is just too attached to the Lakers. The building is owned by the richest portion of the Lakers ownership group, and even as silent partners they have influence in what happens in the arena, and I think the fact that they dislike Ballmer can't help things.

The Angels are a pain to get to and basically forgotten inside of LA. Even when they're good nobody cares. It'd kill the value of the team as much as moving to Seattle.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Ammanas posted:

Over time I think the 2017 warriors win will be viewed as essentially inevitable

Pretty sure we all knew before the first regular season game was played

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Time posted:

Ballmer gave a private talk at the sun valley conference a while back that roasted public finance mechanisms and actually named names of other sports league owners in the room for being idiots. Private talk when he was trying to buy the clippers tried to block him as a bidder which is why he came in Hot with the 2bil term sheet. It was a cool moment in what is normally a masturbatory celebration

It's good to see some noblesse oblige from our billionaire masters

NeuroticErotica posted:

Who will both have their problems drawing people down there. Who wants to basically go to the airport to watch terrible teams play?

Yeah, it's weird to say but... I believe it, too. Part of it was the free tickets for poorer neighborhoods all the way to Long Beach and beyond. Created a completely different atmosphere in the building - nobody there to see an be seen, but people who actually wanted to go to a basketball game.

The Angels are a pain to get to and basically forgotten inside of LA. Even when they're good nobody cares. It'd kill the value of the team as much as moving to Seattle.

Yeah good luck if you're trying to get back to the city from Orange County at the wrong time, they might as well have Chinese supercongestion style motorscooter vendors for water and mobile shoulder toilets

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jun 15, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Still think he sandbagged the one bos loss to motivate his teammates .

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

A team left Seattle to be in Oklahoma ain't no one leaving LA for that poo poo market

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound

EvanTH posted:

not even DWill? The one who played not the one who didn't

when he was on Brooklyn there were these local cheap cell phone ads (both the ads and the service was Cheap with all the negative connotations intended) with Deron Williams that were the absolute worst commercials I've ever seen. They're not online I've searched for them a few times. It was Boost or TMobile, can't remember which. He could barely speak his lines, the concept was "I am fast and so is our cell phone service" and it had a sped up film clip of him dribbling between his legs a few times with a whoosh whoosh sound effect and then he said if you think that's fast try this cell phone. I don't immediately have words for how bad his reading of his lines was.

companies usually upload their own commercials to the internet, but this one was so bad they tried to flush it down the memory toilet. Much like DWills finals performance

It was MetroPCS.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

euphronius posted:

Still think he sandbagged the one bos loss to motivate his teammates .

I think it was like "they're selling out to stop me and this is supposed to be a superteam, do your poo poo"

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Imagine being so close to the NBA that you call a geezer executive "advisor" moving from one rich and good team to another a "whopper. " I really hope mark stein finds a new job when his contract expires. He needs this.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

BWV posted:

Imagine being so close to the NBA that you call a geezer executive "advisor" moving from one rich and good team to another a "whopper. " I really hope mark stein finds a new job when his contract expires. He needs this.

no dude its a big loss, who will tell the warriors that kevin durant is good now???

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

So it's pretty obvious that the Warriors won't go to the White House. I wonder if there is another building/office they could visit instead? Like with the White House off the table what are other cool offices that could honour NBA champions (who will probably all not want to see Trump, except the Celtics who I bet respect racism the office).
Like what if the Supreme Court invited them? RBG probably loves basketball, all old NY Jews do! Who am I kidding, they'll probably just visit Google's campus.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What did Jerry West do for the Warriors exactly?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

BWV posted:

So it's pretty obvious that the Warriors won't go to the White House. I wonder if there is another building/office they could visit instead? Like with the White House off the table what are other cool offices that could honour NBA champions (who will probably all not want to see Trump, except the Celtics who I bet respect racism the office).
Like what if the Supreme Court invited them? RBG probably loves basketball, all old NY Jews do! Who am I kidding, they'll probably just visit Google's campus.

The floating Space X platform

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They should go to Labour HQ and meet with Jezza

https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/875345263543558144
Hell yeah

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 15, 2017

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

The Glumslinger posted:

Rick posted:

The worst part for me is the Lakers could've had him but Jeanie chose Magic.

Something something Confucius say powerful woman in menopause not all there and rational COUGH

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
"Warriors Expected To Decline Possible White House Invitation" is the headline on RealGM, Trump should be smart and not invite them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

NeuroticErotica posted:

As an official old person my hot take- pause, ok we know old people have lukewarm takes at best because- Chuck the Condor needs to go Old School with a long Z Z Top beard and a toy lawnmower that he pushes maniacally around during timeouts and then vaults over the mower handle, does a 360 in the air, splits his pants into 2 pieces, which then fall around his ankles, and slams a ball into the net......kind of like I did on that tricked out BSA 35 years ago, except there was no basketball, no net, and I was going maybe 40mph...bonus points if he wipes out a newly planted tree.

• Locked thread