Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Man, I wanted to get The Run done before then, but I've got too much poo poo on my plate right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
So this year, I'll be trying this out with the Fiesta mod linked a little while back. Waiting outside of the wind temple, all classes unlocked....but i dont know about how the commands work for the Pure Chaos run with 5th Character and BERSERKRISK. Obviously. Would I simply do what I was doing in last years run...Just setting in the wind job crystal command, would it give me the proper job for the Pure Chaos mode?

I'm really only asking because god drat, do I want to try this again. Even if I start a couple of days before Saturday. Fiesta is just an all around feelgood thing.

Sushi Face
Oct 11, 2006

Tastes like funk
Just tell me my first job drat you all!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Detheros posted:

Another pre-run run done here.

I'm going to miss not getting a White Mage ever during my actual runs.

One more for the Berserker pile! :dance:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Sushi Face posted:

Ok fine it's Bard.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Sushi Face posted:

Geomancer.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Sushi Face posted:

Fry cook at Burger King.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

W.T. Fits posted:

Fry cook at Burger King.

With the 13th legendary weapon, the Golden Spatula, you must defeat the mighty Exdeath.

Sushi Face
Oct 11, 2006

Tastes like funk

W.T. Fits posted:

Fry cook at Burger King.

Still better than a Geomancer

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Sushi Face posted:

Make your way to the Water Crystal and make separate saves... FOR EVERY CLASS

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
But there's only 4 save slots :colbert:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
+9Infinite Save state slots. :colbert:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
This may be a little off topic, but does anyone have a prepatched copy of the FF5 ancient cave hack translation?

I thought I could patch it myself, but the text is all garbled. More over, it starts at the beginning of the game, and I was certain that the copy I had previously started outside the cave.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Here's another for the toxx

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Forgotten by everyone? Kanako's fault.

I wanted to make sure that I got The Run done before the 17th so that my Berserker could be added to the tree. All Pianos Flexed, all Weapons got, all Gilgameshes fought, and Necrophobe beaten.

I was literally tossing Holys like popcorn the whole fight. Omega's been beaten, Shinryu comes tomorrow, pics will be edited into here.

ETA: Once again, Shinryu gets the last laugh and just up and dies without warning.

Kliff fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 15, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Anyone have any tips for the Dragon Grass on this run? All of those status effects are a huge pain in the rear end and I don't think I have any way of stopping them. Beastmaster can kill some with a capture, but they keep respawning.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Anyone have any tips for the Dragon Grass on this run? All of those status effects are a huge pain in the rear end and I don't think I have any way of stopping them. Beastmaster can kill some with a capture, but they keep respawning.

It's vulnerable to death, which the Berserker can inflict if you picked up a Death Sickle in W1.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

AlphaKretin posted:

It's vulnerable to death, which the Berserker can inflict if you picked up a Death Sickle in W1.

Or release an Aquathorne once the flowers are dead. It's also susceptible to Stop, and not Heavy, so you can easily Calm-lock it.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Thanks guys! Was a bit of a pain trying to get my zerker to hit the right target and also proc the sickle, but I got it eventually. Forgot I had glasses to protect him from blindness, that made a big difference.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, The Run's job loadout is very much a quiz of how much you know the systems and mechanics of the game, and how far you're willing to go to exploit them like a sonuvabitch. Hell, even I learned something, because elmagus mentioned in his routing that he doesn't use Aquathornes for the Seal Guardians, he uses a loving sandcrawler, because it releases for Maelstrom. 40.8% chance per crystal to put them into critical HP, where any follow-up attack can wipe them.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Man I can't wait for this to start. I gone ahead and got my save for the fiesta pass Wind Raptor since there nothing stating I need to wait for the start date to get out of the prologue. Feels weird but exciting to play this on my actual SNES this year with the SD2SNES.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

FF5 is the best because status effects and instant death are actually useful, even on bosses. Play smarter, not harder.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, The Run's job loadout is very much a quiz of how much you know the systems and mechanics of the game, and how far you're willing to go to exploit them like a sonuvabitch. Hell, even I learned something, because elmagus mentioned in his routing that he doesn't use Aquathornes for the Seal Guardians, he uses a loving sandcrawler, because it releases for Maelstrom. 40.8% chance per crystal to put them into critical HP, where any follow-up attack can wipe them.

Sandcrawler, a heavy monster with like 15k hp in world 2 that thankfully only has single target attacks to go with its maelstrom spam. Kind of a giant pain in the rear end but at least it's easy to figure out when it's catchable.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

Sandcrawler, a heavy monster with like 15k hp in world 2 that thankfully only has single target attacks to go with its maelstrom spam. Kind of a giant pain in the rear end but at least it's easy to figure out when it's catchable.

Yeah, I never caught (:haw:) how he goes about snagging one, but it's a really interesting thing to consider.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, I never caught (:haw:) how he goes about snagging one, but it's a really interesting thing to consider.

My speculation based on release lists: Moogle Eaters (the octopi from the underground waterway) cast Aqua Breath when released. Sandcrawlers are desert monsters and thus take 8x damage from Aqua Breath, meaning it's likely to do a static 9999 to them. Should only take one of those if he has the gourd - though naturally that involves going out of your way to grab a Sandcrawler after Dragon Pod but before Moore.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Eh, they have a magic M of 4, so it'd only be ~2400 damage even after the bonus.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

FF5 is the best because status effects and instant death are actually useful, even on bosses. Play smarter, not harder.

Yeah, I'm having a lot of fun because of this. Just so many random things you can try and it's awesome when I have a really dumb idea and it actually works. I've been so conditioned to just assume bosses are almost always immune to poo poo like instant death / toad / mini, etc., so it's cool that some of them let you actually do that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
FF5 is my favorite Final Fantasy due to the sheer number of ways you could go about a boss fight. Sure you can always slug it out if you have to, but there's always something you can do to make the fight much easier. (With regards to a normal playthrough, mind you. Fiesta runs do not have that privilege since they're stuck with 4 jobs at most.)

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Hrmm, is there some bug with red dragons in this tower? I opened a chest and one popped out, I controlled it and my zerker killed it with the death sickle proc, and another one spawned....this happened 7 times in a row before I gave up and escaped. I kinda want these items, what is going on here?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Hrmm, is there some bug with red dragons in this tower? I opened a chest and one popped out, I controlled it and my zerker killed it with the death sickle proc, and another one spawned....this happened 7 times in a row before I gave up and escaped. I kinda want these items, what is going on here?

Red Dragons are undead. Death spells fully heal them. Though I'm not sure why it didn't reflect the proc with its permareflect.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

dis astranagant posted:

Red Dragons are undead. Death spells fully heal them. Though I'm not sure why it didn't reflect the proc with its permareflect.

Oh, haha I never would have figured that out. Well then!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

dis astranagant posted:

Red Dragons don't start out with Reflect.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Kyrosiris posted:

IIRC, by controlling the Cactus' that accompany it and spamming 1000 Needles. He might have found a better strat by now, though.

The most interesting trick I've seen so far is releasing an Aegir for Rainbow Wind in the Archeoaevis fight. If his first form is killed by Sap, the other forms won't appear and you instantly win. Not all that important for a normal run because the fight is easy with White Mage but a cool speed tactic.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I had a go at the Run but I probably won't be done by the 19th, what with Stormblood taking up all of my time after tomorrow.

I will accept all my extra zerkers as punishment.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Run is scheduled to begin 10:00 AM EDT June 17, 2017.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Wait, seriously? I thought the Run generally started in the evening. That's 9 AM where I live.

There's a good chance I'll miss the very end of the run because I have work... and I won''t get to start on my fiesta immediately. Small disappointments.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

StrangeAeon posted:

Wait, seriously? I thought the Run generally started in the evening. That's 9 AM where I live.

There's a good chance I'll miss the very end of the run because I have work... and I won''t get to start on my fiesta immediately. Small disappointments.

It usually starts around noonish, so it's a tad early this year.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Last year's run was around 7 to 8 hours, and with this year's job selection, it'll likely take considerably longer. They have to start early if they want to finish at a reasonable time.

Plus, the Europeans probably aren't too unhappy about not having to stay up all night.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

You'd be surprised how many classic JRPGs have status ailments and instant death spells that actually work but go ignored by the player. FF4, 6 and 7 teach horrible habits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Lurdiak posted:

You'd be surprised how many classic JRPGs have status ailments and instant death spells that actually work but go ignored by the player. FF4, 6 and 7 teach horrible habits.

Even in FF4, Slow works on pretty much everything except the final boss and turns the game from a nightmare to beatable. Sap is pretty useful, too, and is the one reason Bio still sees use after Flare comes around.

Status in 6 and 7 are mostly bad because the games give you so many flavors of "do a boatload of damage" that you really don't need to bother looking at status effects. It's the Single Player Pokemon problem: "why would I waste time with things that are not Damage when the quickest way through a battle is to do damage constantly?"

• Locked thread