Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

LifeSunDeath posted:

not your typical rally occupational hazard but kinda
https://fat.gfycat.com/AcrobaticDeepArrowcrab.webm

The crowd is just standing around laughing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Wouldn't that guy be incredibly dead?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
That person is almost certainly completely hosed.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
What about the vulture?

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Skellybones posted:

What about the vulture?

Gonna eat him

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

blugu64 posted:

Why don't we just use these as airport security machines?

Pretty sure being yanked into the air by your zipper wouldn't be fun.

... actually maybe it would.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

Wouldn't that guy be incredibly dead?

It's not like it is grounded in reality.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Lurking Haro posted:

It's not like it is grounded in reality.

Certainly not grounded to earth.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

https://gfycat.com/YawningPoliteFurseal

Glad to see the crew chief in a high visibility shirt.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Just got done processing and sending home a dude who broke his collar bone 3 hours ago. He was closing a heavy bay door and slipped. He was wearing all his PPE and doing what he was supposed to, so he's getting paid time off and norcos as a reward. Wear your protective equipment, people.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

new phone who dis posted:

Just got done processing and sending home a dude who broke his collar bone 3 hours ago. He was closing a heavy bay door and slipped. He was wearing all his PPE and doing what he was supposed to, so he's getting paid time off and norcos as a reward. Wear your protective equipment, people.

So you're saying if he didn't have his gear he might be dead.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

MF_James posted:

So you're saying if he didn't have his gear he might be dead.

No, but when he was pushing the door, he slipped on the gravel and fell. Since he was wearing the approved safety shoes for his position and related tasks, nobody in management can try to ratfuck him afterwards and defer the costs and fault to him.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

No, but when he was pushing the door, he slipped on the gravel and fell. Since he was wearing the approved safety shoes for his position and related tasks, nobody in management can try to ratfuck him afterwards and defer the costs and fault to him.

But do the shoes actually do a good job?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

KoRMaK posted:

But do the shoes actually do a good job?

I work for the federal govt and they give us a 150 dollar credit to buy safety shoes yearly. Everyone has really good ones. On another note, I already had one supervisor come sniffing around asking if the guy looked hurt when he came to work today because his injury happened only an hour into his shift. LOL management.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Captain Yossarian posted:

Correct me if my guess is wrong, but wasn't that dude completely hosed and dead pretty much instantly so it wouldn't have been worth even trying?

At that voltage level and resultant current flow he was literally cooked. We're talking about massive internal damage that even if surprised could be extremely hard to treat. When you see his body emitting smoke and then bursting into flames the guy is way past any hope. Also he was probably in excruciating pain the whole time until he lost consciousness at some point probably in part due to respiratory paralysis and fibrillation.

If he got free after a second and had someone perform CPR and was lucky, yeah he could have survived contact with high voltage.

And when you're at levels like 10kV, dangerous current can easily flow through wood. You need fiberglass poles made to work at those high voltages.

One last thing - concrete actually conducts electricity.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 15, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Three-Phase posted:

One last thing - concrete actually conducts electricity.

With enough voltage, even vacuum will conduct electricity.

Dry concrete (like, really dry, baked-in-a-kiln dry) is electrically a decent insulator, albeit not great. Stuff out in the environment that's been rained on recently or is still curing sure ain't. Even stuff that's completely cured and has dried off on the surface has a conductivity similar to pure water (not very conductive, but nowhere near as good an insulator as glass or rubber). And that's without even considering the rebar.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 15, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ufer_ground

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

I work for the federal govt and they give us a 150 dollar credit to buy safety shoes yearly. Everyone has really good ones. On another note, I already had one supervisor come sniffing around asking if the guy looked hurt when he came to work today because his injury happened only an hour into his shift. LOL management.

God drat, that's a helluva boot stipend! $150 a year, wow. I bought a second pair of those Red Wings I posted yesterday because we got $100 every two years so why not pick up another pair? Tossed the old ones (previously pictured) in the closet because I wanted the same thing but wider and figured the old ones would outlast that benefit program. Company got bought out and shut down: I've still got the boots.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

MisterOblivious posted:

God drat, that's a helluva boot stipend! $150 a year, wow. I bought a second pair of those Red Wings I posted yesterday because we got $100 every two years so why not pick up another pair? Tossed the old ones (previously pictured) in the closet because I wanted the same thing but wider and figured the old ones would outlast that benefit program. Company got bought out and shut down: I've still got the boots.

LOL I used to get $60 a year when I worked a Fingerhut and that was a crappy warehouse job 15 years ago.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

MisterOblivious posted:

150 dollars a year and no lawsuits over foot injury is probably cheaper than multiple million dollar lawsuits after people step on Heroin needles or rebar on site, or drop a piece of steel sheet straight onto the edge of their foot. It's like how stopping people smoking is geeberally more affordable then testing the resulting lung cancer.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I want a shoe stipend you jerks. They're ppe in a lab full of death chemistry.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Buffer underrun, now his ladders are backed with nuclear weapons

Alternatively : now that's thinking with portals!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I get new safety shoes every other year from work but there's not a set limit or anything I just buy the ones I want because I'll be wearing them 8 hours every week-day it's pretty essential they feel comfy on my feet. Welp maybe you guys should consider unionizing or something god bless.

e: I work in an office.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

flosofl posted:

If they had to do a emergency quench (which is almost never), they vent all the He at once and that can cost millions of dollars to recover the system after one of those. Plus there's the whole suffocation risk as the air is displaced by all that He.
Every single MRI install I've seen has an outdoor vent line for precisely that reason.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Are you sure? I could've sworn they'd just dump it straight into the room and then tell everyone to run for their lives.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Are you sure? I could've sworn they'd just dump it straight into the room and then tell everyone to run for their lives.

In Russia they do I'm pretty sure.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

A followup to that mri video earlier has them quench it (it's being retired anyway) and it all comes out a big fat chimney in a huge cloud over quite a bit of time.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

coldpudding posted:

From what I've seen that pretty much sums it up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch5VorymiL4

Of note, from 45:26 the issue of fire safety of remedial coatings comes up.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That'd be way too much of a liability.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

evil_bunnY posted:

That'd be way too much of a liability.

Yep, I see your point.

Really shouldn't run in a hospital. Safely make your way to the nearest posted exit for your lives

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Rahul posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yox9CKYh7EU

So, just how much hyrostatic pressure is likely to be on those plywood sheets?

Just watched this on youtube and it's the first of his videos I really took issue with.

Furze plays pretty hard and loose with best safety procedures, but he's also a very smart and skilled builder. Most of the time.

This one was just dumb. Two guys alone on a beach with some plywood and spades and absolutely nothing in place in case poo poo went sideways.

Watch around 4:20 - 6:50 when they're trying to add a second layer of load bearing plywood and the sand walls are collapsing all around him. 3 metres down and no way out - they didn't even bring a ladder for gently caress's sake.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

rear end in a top hat made a toilet that's going to kill someone

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Really shouldn't run in a hospital. Safely make your way to the nearest posted exit for your lives
It's not really the people who can make it to the exits you're worried about. It's little bed-bound timmy whose parents will sue the poo poo outta you, or just one day walk into your C-suite offices and start throwing lead.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

I got queasy just looking at this

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Phanatic posted:

With enough voltage, even vacuum will conduct electricity.

At work we have circuit breakers rated for 5kV to around 40kV that have contacts inside of vacuum bottles. It's not an absolutely perfect vacuum but on the lower end voltages like 4160V they can interrupt like 20,000A of current (nominal flow of 1200A). They are simple and extremely reliable. (I am proposing to retrofit/replace older breakers with newer and even more mechanically simple systems like the ABB AMVAC and ADVAC roll-in retrofits.)

There are warnings about PM testing of vacuum interrupter bottles - if you apply a high test voltage across the contacts with them close together but not touching you can generate hazardous amounts of x-rays.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 15, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mustached Demon posted:

I want a shoe stipend you jerks. They're ppe in a lab full of death chemistry.

I want a shoe stipend!

I work in an office. I'm just addicted to fancy footwear.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Shrieking Muppet posted:

I got queasy just looking at this

Yeah, looking at this is really uncomfortable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Spoiler management will still ratfuck him