Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Tiger Shark is basically "what if Sabretooth was half-fish?"

Pretty much. Despite looking like a doofus, he's surprisingly vicious and strong. He's not very interesting, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tiger Shark is a text-book jobber.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Origin: Stuck in an antiquated posture-correcting rig.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

X-O posted:

Day 66: Tiger Shark

He's really goofy looking and impractical, his head is like a shark's fin.

No, no. His hat looks like a shark's fin.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Samovar posted:

No, no. His hat looks like a shark's fin.

Now you're just being silly. He's not wearing a hat!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Lobok posted:

"I made my patients faster and stronger and more alive than ever! And for that they took away my license! Called me a quack! Well I'll show them what it means to be a quack! They're about to get billed by... DOCTOR DUCK!!!"
I believe his doctor was actually Doctor Lemuel Dorcas. Who has the most obvious supervillain origin ever: grew up with the name Lemuel Dork rear end.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Edge & Christian posted:

I believe his doctor was actually Doctor Lemuel Dorcas. Who has the most obvious supervillain origin ever: grew up with the name Lemuel Dork rear end.

Strange name to give a villain, especially male, considering Dorcas was a cherished and noble woman in the Bible. My grandma was in a Dorcas group, knitting clothing for people in need. drat, missed my opportunity while she was alive to call her a huge Dork rear end.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Lobok posted:

Strange name to give a villain, especially male, considering Dorcas was a cherished and noble woman in the Bible. My grandma was in a Dorcas group, knitting clothing for people in need. drat, missed my opportunity while she was alive to call her a huge Dork rear end.
Blame Roy Thomas, who named him. Also blame me for reading way more OHOTMUDE than the Bible as a kid for not knowing the origin of the name.

In looking up who created Dr. Dorcas, I found out that he came back from the dead and went from looking like this standard Nasty Scientist

to a *really* nasty looking scientist

It was in Jeff Parker's Thunderbolts, which I read, so it's double weird I forgot about this serial killer starfish look.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Tiger Shark just made me remember Sting Ray, the worst Avenger.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
Oh man, creepy starfish man is one of the grodiest things I've seen in comics.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

sbaldrick posted:

Tiger Shark just made me remember Sting Ray, the worst Avenger.

Stingray's actually pretty cool. The worst Avenger is still either Tigra or Doctor Druid.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I think the worst Avenger is Triathlon

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think Tigra nudges ahead just for the fact that she's pretty much only exists as an Avenger and has for years and years.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Druid is the worst because that's actually his legacy.

On the other hand,

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

poly and open-minded posted:

Have you heard of the Two-Gun Kid?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I do kind of like Tigra. For some reason. Maybe it's male gaze? Maybe it's my brain filling in the gaps of "also-ran cat themed Avenger" with the indisputably better Hellcat? Maybe I want Hank to settle down?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Stingray is inarguably cooler than several Avengers. Tigra, Dr. Druid, Swordsman, Mantis (fuckin' Mantis, man), Gilgamesh, Living Lightning, Silverclaw, Lionheart, Red goddamned Hulk, Masque, Magdalene...

There have been SO MANY terrible Avengers, you guys.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

A number of writers carried a heavy load trying to rehabilitate Tigra in Avengers Initiative/Avengers Academy and I don't know if they succeeded but I think she deserves to be raised out of the cellar simply because people put some effort into her and she appeared in some comics that weren't just godawful. I may be giving her too much credit just for sheer longevity.

I also appreciate no one listing Starfox just because he became a butt of jokes for a couple of decades there.

I will ride or die for Doctor Druid because his entire story was that he was terrible and ill-equipped to be an Avenger which puts him ahead of everyone else mentioned. Stingray was kind of cool because his whole thing was basically "I'm a researcher, not a crimefighter" and I respect that.

Pretty much everyone else mentioned are all unquestionably terrible and I'm heartened to see people listing actually lovely nobodies like Silverclaw and Gilgamesh (and Deathcry!) and not just "bad" Avengers like Wonder Man/Mockingbird/Hank Pym/Black Knight who had periods of being cool and then other long runs of irrelevance.

And I really appreciate that no one stooped so low as to pick on support crew members like Fabian Stankowicz or Marilla, may she rest in peace.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 15, 2017

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Hey, the Black Knight is awesome; I love that dude.

He's a scientist and a technician and yet every time he turns around his world gets turned upside down by magic swords and the ghost of his dead ancestor and curses and such. For a long while there he kind of had to be the team's Iron Man (inventing poo poo to solve plots) and Captain America (physical combatant and strategist) all at the same time, all while also constantly striving not to go crazy. He deserves way more props than he gets.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's one scene in a Kurt Busiek story where Triathlon is complaining to Jarvis about how he's worried about becoming "one of those Avengers no-one's ever heard of".

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Isnt he the superhero brought to you by not-Scientology!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, Triathlon's backstory was that he was an Olympic gold medalist who was disgraced when he was revealed to be doping, and he found inner peace or whatever by joining up with Triune Understanding, which was Not Scientology.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

I will ride or die for Doctor Druid because his entire story was that he was terrible and ill-equipped to be an Avenger which puts him ahead of everyone else mentioned.

Doctor Druid is weird in that he is very deliberately written as a gigantic rear end in a top hat. He's not likeable in the way any of the other heroes are, he turns out to be kind of a misogynist when there's a woman leading the team, etc. He's an awful person but a unique character, and it's just funny to have him as the one guy on the team none of the other members actually like.

If not for being kind of a jerk he'd be forgettable outside of his vaguely-racist origin story.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I like the Black Knight as well. He was really good in Captain Britain and MI-13, which was itself great and a terrible shame it got canceled so soon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Stingray is great because he's basically the Blue Beetle of Marvel. He's not very good at being a superhero and often complains when he has to do superheroing, but for some reason he keeps putting a stupid suit on and taking on aquatic threats. Which is especially funny since the majority of aquatic threats can give Namor trouble.

Black Knight would suck a lot less if he was allowed to stab people with his sword.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I have a lot of sympathy for Tigra because she was part of the original west coast avengers, which when it started (in a four issue limited series) was pretty explicitly a B-team--the leader was hawkeye, out to prove himself, who promptly hired his wife, mockingbird, who also had no superpowers. Then they had Tigra, (my recollection is she joined because she had nothing better to do) Wonder man (who was mostly focused on his acting career) and James Rhodes Iron Man, who was still in his "am I the substitute or the real deal?" phase.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Deptfordx posted:

I like the Black Knight as well. He was really good in Captain Britain and MI-13, which was itself great and a terrible shame it got canceled so soon.

I loved that book so much. I don't remember most of the comics I've read, but I'll never forget Excalibur driving back Dracula and a whole host of vampires with the sword of the same name.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, Triathlon's backstory was that he was an Olympic gold medalist who was disgraced when he was revealed to be doping, and he found inner peace or whatever by joining up with Triune Understanding, which was Not Scientology.

Didn't this tie into 3D Man in Agents of ATLAS somehow? I need to re-read those books.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Didn't this tie into 3D Man in Agents of ATLAS somehow? I need to re-read those books.

I believe so. I think the backstory was a little tricky, and it was made even trickier because it also tied into the big Kang Dynasty storyline that Busiek finished his time on Avengers with.

That story was something like 16 parts long. If it was published today, it would've been a big crossover story with a bunch of tie-ins. As it was, wasn't there a rule in Marvel at the time about not doing big crossovers with every title having a tie-in? I'm pretty sure that only really became the norm with House of M.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

poly and open-minded posted:

Poor guy isn't even the main focus of his own picture on Wikipedia. :(

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I liked when he became 3D Man and joined the Skrull Kill Krew in Secret Invasion. That's all I got for him.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe so. I think the backstory was a little tricky, and it was made even trickier because it also tied into the big Kang Dynasty storyline that Busiek finished his time on Avengers with.

That story was something like 16 parts long. If it was published today, it would've been a big crossover story with a bunch of tie-ins. As it was, wasn't there a rule in Marvel at the time about not doing big crossovers with every title having a tie-in? I'm pretty sure that only really became the norm with House of M.

It was such a great story, but so bizarre in the fact that it wasn't referenced ANYWHERE else. It was a year long epic where Kang blew up the UN, took over the entire world, sent went after wave of ground troops to destroy cities and imprison dissenters, but not one other comic during the entire year acknowledge any of it.

It was pretty sweet how he tied the Triune into the whole resolution tho. The whole Thor/Firebird interaction was great too. Busiek definitely went out with a bang

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

At the end of it he got audited and it turned out his powers were due to the triune fusing him with the thetan of the original 3D Man, so he got cleared which restored 3D Man into the original two brothers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GPTribefan posted:

It was such a great story, but so bizarre in the fact that it wasn't referenced ANYWHERE else. It was a year long epic where Kang blew up the UN, took over the entire world, sent went after wave of ground troops to destroy cities and imprison dissenters, but not one other comic during the entire year acknowledge any of it.

Oh, yeah, Kang literally killed every single person in Washington D.C. in that story (except George W. Bush, who's evacuated to Lemuria) and it's not mentioned anywhere else. I believe there's one panel in one of the comics set after the world surrenders to Kang where you see Spider-Man and Wolverine hiding out from Kang's men, but that's about it. It's just Avengers other than that.

Not Busiek's best Avengers story, though - that's still Ultron Unlimited. Kang Dynasty doesn't have Thor busting through a wall after beating an entire army of killer robots and telling Kang the Avengers would have words with him.

quote:

It was pretty sweet how he tied the Triune into the whole resolution tho. The whole Thor/Firebird interaction was great too. Busiek definitely went out with a bang

There's so much going on in it. There's stuff with the Presence trying to create a new race of nuclear zombies in Siberia and stuff with an old Alpha Flight villain called the Master of the World (who is basically Vandal Savage - he's a caveman who became immortal when he was experimented on by aliens) and the Triune stuff. It's one of the few stories I can think of that would actually benefit from being a big oversized crossover event with a whole ton of tie-ins.

It's really weird how Busiek had this huge story at the end of his run, then his last issue is a fairly run-of-the-mill one-shot where the Avengers are being interviewed by Tony Stark's accountants about property damage they caused in a fight with the Elements of Doom.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 15, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 67: Helio

Here's Helio and his luxurious hair. Yet another character I know I've seen but don't remember at all. His bibliography indicates some issues I know I read at some point, including Quasar of course where all obscure characters live again. And his most recent appearance was in the the last New Warriors series which I own every issue of and still don't remember him. I'm not sure how I don't remember that hair though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-O posted:

Day 67: Helio

Here's Helio and his luxurious hair. Yet another character I know I've seen but don't remember at all. His bibliography indicates some issues I know I read at some point, including Quasar of course where all obscure characters live again. And his most recent appearance was in the the last New Warriors series which I own every issue of and still don't remember him. I'm not sure how I don't remember that hair though.

Where the white meets the blue makes it look like he has action figure joints in the middle of his thighs.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's mandusa.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

He's allies with GRONK, not the football player but Doughboy's illegitimate son.

The all existed solely as henchmen for MAELSTROM, who was like Evil Mastermind With a Longterm Master Plan #207 from the 1970s and 1980s.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
why would a clone of an inhuman have powers?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

why would a clone of an inhuman have powers?

Why wouldn't he.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Why wouldn't he.

I presume he's thinking that because you don't get your powers until you're exposed to the Terrigen mists, a newborn clone wouldn't have had that exposure and would still be a clean slate. I guess it depends on whether the mists alter someone at a deep enough level that a DNA sample would produce a clone identical to the post-exposure self.

(USER WAS TEMPORARILY TURNED INTO A GOOSE BY SERSI* FOR THIS POST)

(*Back in Quasar #26 -- PotY)

• Locked thread