Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
I'm not sure I like the decision to drop Steele. This is an important game after the last month and Dunstan doesn't bring a lot to the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Aussie Rules has long been the sport of Aboriginal Australia. But women's place has been on the sidelines, cheering men along at local games.

Now, East Arnhem Land women have set up a competition with teams from local Aboriginal communities because they want to be involved in the action.

"Footy is awesome, it's an awesome support ... we're as good as the men, even better," Yirrkala teenager Mikayla Mununggurr said.

Whitney Yunupingu's whole family plays football and she grew up with the sport around her in Nhulunbuy.

"My dad used to play AFL, my mum plays, my brother plays, it goes through my family," she said.

Scores of young women from the region gather on the Yirrkala football field every Thursday night and play 'scratch matches', and will start an official competition this month.

"There's always been an interest among women and the majority of the supporters who come down to watch footy are women," coordinator Araluen Maymaru said.

"A lot of the younger girls have grown up watching footy with their fathers and grandfathers and it's just a big part of life here."

Four teams from Nhulunbuy, Yirrkala and Ski Beach are playing in the competition.

"We're making new friends, getting to know people you don't usually talk to or see around, being able to communicate with people who aren't as open, so as girls we can have an AFL family," Mununggurr said.

Maymaru said the sport created harmony among young women from different clans.

"It creates a team, on and off the field, having that respect for each other. It's team work and that's what we want to look for in the girls is how you treat each other and behave on the field but off the field as well," she said.

There are 12 Indigenous footballers in the AFL Women's League, about 6 per cent of the total playing pool.

There's a push to increase that number as the league enters its second year — something the East Arnhem Land players want to be a part of.

"It's amazing that girls have worked really hard and put a team together so it's not just boys playing AFL and showing girls what to do ... for us as girls, AFL is really good and it lifts us all up together," Mununggurr said.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

boy undead posted:

I'm not sure I like the decision to drop Steele. This is an important game after the last month and Dunstan doesn't bring a lot to the table.

Yeah, i reckon there's got to be more to it because his form doesn't really warrant being dropped. Hopefully Dunstan can put it all together and show that he can advance beyond what he gave us in his first year.

Edit: Paddy might be back next week as the knee issue doesn't appear as bad as first thought! :toot: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-15/saints-feared-mccartin-injury-was-quite-sinister-

Periphery fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 15, 2017

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
https://twitter.com/stkildafc/status/875224446482620416

:negative:

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Oh no, he's gonna start playing like poo poo now, isn't he? :ohdear:

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
THIS SEASON JUST KEEPS GETTING WORSE

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
jack steven what have you done???

e: now his wikipedia page needs updating rip

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Surely Steele is being managed rather than dropped.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

i hope beveridge sticks fat on keeping libba in the vfl until he lifts his game mainly because he always tears it up against us

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
https://youtu.be/wRhrehTQH_4

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

came here to post this :argh:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

:eyepop:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

The ending was very good imo.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Ok time to do my Golden spoon team this week how does it lo-

:suicide:

It takes a bye week to notice that my team is almost entirely Adelaide, GWS, and Collingwood

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 15, 2017

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
Just swapped my tip to Geelong. Don't let me down, Dangerwood

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
SELWOOD FREE KICK WATCH

8 seconds

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Does Ling really have to commentate on every Geelong game?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I would be ok with Ling never commentating on any game ever again

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
That flip up was sick as hellllll

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Vardy is full of spark against his old side, playing like he has a point to prove against them

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Schneider Inside Her posted:

That flip up was sick as hellllll

He does it all the time, he used to a bit of martial arts so he doesn't mind sneaking a ninja flip into his game every now and again

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
What is the point of these loving umpires? Darling deliberately dropped it as soon as he got tackled. Nothing.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Ntrabbit tier meltdown incoming watch out errybody

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

hiddenmovement posted:

:yeah:

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

hiddenmovement posted:

:munch:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Hope you aren't waiting for me, I'm not actually watching

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

realbez posted:

What is the point of these loving umpires? Darling deliberately dropped it as soon as he got tackled. Nothing.

Yeah he was dead to rights on that one. Bad call

Also Jamie Cripps suckkss

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

Forum Joe posted:

Just swapped my tip to Geelong. Don't let me down, Dangerwood

Well gently caress. I should have said "Don't let me down, umpires!"

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

everything about this half is insipid

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

What is BT doing to Elliot Yeo's name

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Oh my god the way bt is saying yeo

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

snaeksikn posted:

What is BT doing to Elliot Yeo's name

he;'s hgaving a stroke

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Breaking news: Selwooding doesn't count if your surname name isn't Selwood. loving :lol:

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Free kick count currently 12-4

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Philosophy question: Could a Geelong player commit an infraction so blatant that even Cameron Ling could not justify it?

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

racing identity posted:

Philosophy question: Could a Geelong player commit an infraction so blatant that even Cameron Ling could not justify it?

Nah, he'd find a way to justify punching someones head clean off as 'going for the ball'. Fair contest. Unlucky collision. How good is Dayngaaaa, BT?!

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

racing identity posted:

Unstoppable force / immovable object / yadda yadda yadda

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

FOOTY FOOTY FOOTY FOOTY FOOTY FOOTY FOOTY FOOTY FOOTY FOOTY FOOTY FOOTY FOOTY FOOTY FOOTY FOOTY FOOTY FOOTY FOOTY FOOTY FOOTY FOOTY FOOTY FOOTY

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

GEELONG FREES SO FAR

Selwood
Selwood
Selwood
Dangerfield

Seems about right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm mostly hoping Don Pyke is sitting in front of his TV with a notepad on which he has written "PLAY ON A BIGGER GROUND", and circled in red pen half a dozen times "TAG SELWOOD"

• Locked thread