Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ExplodingSims posted:

Terminal got blown out, cracked the ceramic plug, and lost the whole refrigerant charge.
Be careful with that electricity kids!

Isn't freon inflammable? Can't a spark set it off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

ExplodingSims posted:

And what happens when you throw a motor off a roof? Concrete wins:

"Hi, I need to return this for my core charge."

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Refrigerants are normally halocarbons. While carbon-derivatives are widely used as fuel, halogens are very effective flame retardants and are generally very stable and inert due to their proximity to the noble gases.

So, very generally, no.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

No, but some (generally older) refrigerants can turn into phosgene in the presence of open flame.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

Refrigerants are normally halocarbons. While carbon-derivatives are widely used as fuel, halogens are very effective flame retardants and are generally very stable and inert due to their proximity to the noble gases.

So, very generally, no.

Heck various types of it were used in fire extinguishers. This kills the operator if used in a sealed room with an automated system.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

So, very generally, no.

There's a lot of flammable refrigerants to be fair, but R134 is pretty stable.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Propane can be used as a refrigerant.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Armacham posted:

Propane can be used as a refrigerant.

Yeah, but when people say "freon," I usually take that to mean the common CFC/HCFC/HFC and those are mostly A1 on the toxicity/flamability chart.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Any gas can be used as a refrigerant. I should have specified "halocarbons" as that's what most residential, automotive, commercial, and industrial applications are using.

If you're using R290 as a refrigerant (and it's a great one don't get me wrong) you better know what the gently caress you're doing.

Edit: I did specify halocarbons :confused:

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 15, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
R152A will ignite

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, that's great and all, but outside of specialty applications, you don't see those much.

The most common ones, R22, 410A, 404, 407, 422B, etc... aren't really that flammable. Now, what will happen is if your brazing and you're not paying attention you can ignite it and you'll get a face full of poisonous gas.

But these things aren't like a powder keg waiting to go off in a fiery explosion like you guys are making it sound like

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

ExplodingSims posted:

But these things aren't like a powder keg waiting to go off in a fiery explosion like you guys are making it sound like

Dammit.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The cool kids use ammonia for their refrigerant

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

H110Hawk posted:

Heck various types of it were used in fire extinguishers. This kills the operator if used in a sealed room with an automated system.
It annoys me that I can't have it in my garage, hooked up to both fire and burglar alarm systems.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

InitialDave posted:

It annoys me that I can't have it in my garage, hooked up to both fire and burglar alarm systems.

That would be murder.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Cojawfee posted:

That would be murder.

Shouldn't be breaking into my garage then. I think a judge will rule it justifiable homicide.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

That would be murder.

Well what if you hook the burglar alarm to a little incendiary device, and then let the fire suppression system do its thing?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

BigPaddy posted:

Shouldn't be breaking into my garage then. I think a judge will rule it justifiable homicide.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-montana-man-sentenced-german-student-20150212-story.html

And that's in Montana, where you're more likely to get convicted for poaching game than killing a person.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

Well what if you hook the burglar alarm to a little incendiary device, and then let the fire suppression system do its thing?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just accept the bid from the shadiest contractor that submits to install your halon system. It's a virtual guarantee they'll gently caress it up and wire it to the intrusion alarm.

Our halon system at work has been disabled for years because there's some kind of wiring error and no money to fix it. :downs:

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

slidebite posted:

The cool kids use ammonia for their refrigerant

During high school, I worked at a meat market; I'll never forget the time the freezer had a refrigerant leak.

:chef: "There's an ammonia leak in the freezer. By the way, I need that tray of ground beef out."
:aaa: ...
:chef: "Just hold your breath."

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cojawfee posted:

That would be murder.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Sagebrush posted:

Well the siren output is just 12V DC (a couple of amps).... and there's a couple of programmable relays on them too.

I'll let your imagination run with that. :v:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Adiabatic posted:

So, very generally, no.

Florine: known for being stable and inert.

Halocarbons are stable because they’ve already made buddies with the toughest guy in the joint.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Cojawfee posted:

That would be murder.

You could probably get away with it in South Africa.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CommieGIR posted:

R152A will ignite

Huh, how about that. Funny that's it's being used almost universally as an air duster.
It's also a great R12 replacement.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

Huh, how about that. Funny that's it's being used almost universally as an air duster.

Have you never turned an air duster can upside down and ignited the resulting stream?? You feel both the cold from the evaporating refrigerant, and the heat from it then burning. Smells awful though :v:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeeeeah, really not a great idea to be lighting refrigerant on fire in general.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

You could probably get away with it in South Africa.

We saw spring-gun warning signs on big game park entrances. It was terrifying.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Pretty sure there is a flammability issue with hfo-r1234yf which is the replacement for r134a. Personally I'm fairly certain the only reason that this poo poo exists is collusion and kickbacks to make DuPont, Honeywell and China money. I can't see a reason to use it over CO2 or even loving propane. Apparently German automakers can't either.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Its highly combustable between like 15 and 45% concentration in atmosphere, so kinda the conditions you'd have in a bad accident where the a/c lines rupture. Thats why mercedes turned away from it after testing.it in conditions after a crash and started investing in the tech to make co2 feasible. 1234yf is largely being adopted because it doesn't require much of an update to existing designs, therefore its cheap to develop. Still gimmie co2, gently caress $100 a lb bullshit refrigerants only sold in 10lb canisters.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Personally, give me propane. It's safe to power the engine with, safe to keep in the trunk, but somehow the flammability is a huge issue with the AC? We can even have hydrogen fuel cells, lithium ion batteries, and CNG busses these days, but not propane in the AC. It's too dangerous.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

rdb posted:

Personally, give me propane. It's safe to power the engine with, safe to keep in the trunk, but somehow the flammability is a huge issue with the AC? We can even have hydrogen fuel cells, lithium ion batteries, and CNG busses these days, but not propane in the AC. It's too dangerous.

It certainly could be done. The question is whether it's a cost-effective solution. Using nonflammable refrigerants allows you to make a simpler and overall cheaper system.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Oh I know, I use it almost exclusively.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

rdb posted:

It's used in RV refrigeration all the time so idk what the big deal is.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I've heard stories about people using it for aircon gas in regular cars in Russia and then being just enough propellant to ignite the car in a minor accident, which then sets off a much larger fire. Considering the average reliability of Russian cars and the quality of Russian drivers, roads and emergency services, that's probably not even top 5 on their list of worst problems when driving.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

TotalLossBrain posted:

It's used in RV refrigeration all the time so idk what the big deal is.

In RV refrigerators, it's burned to drive a piston engine which spins the compressor. The actual coolant is ordinary Freon.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Deteriorata posted:

In RV refrigerators, it's burned to drive a piston engine which spins the compressor. The actual coolant is ordinary Freon.

That makes sense. Don't listen to me :downs:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Another thing to consider is your condenser is right front and center on your car. This makes it prone to damage in normal driving due to debris kicked up off the road, then consider it'll be the first thing to be damaged in a more than minor accident. Thats a far cry from a sealed lpg tank in the trunk or lines carrying it up to the motor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Deteriorata posted:

Is this a new thing?

As I understand them, propane‐powered refrigerators have no moving parts (but also don’t use propane as a refrigerant).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b527al9D_rY&t=788s

e: Changed video embed

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 16, 2017