Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

He's probably up by 4 or 5 points. The outliers have him up 7 on the high side and about even on the low side.

Of course, turnout is really hard to predict in special elections, so the odds of a systemic error in the polls is higher than normal.

early voting is already happening, so there's a considerable amount of data on turnout. it is insanely high for a special election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The BCBS health insurance changes also assume that Obamacare still exists.

The actual cost to people will be significantly higher under the AHCA.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

evilweasel posted:

early voting is already happening, so there's a considerable amount of data on turnout. it is insanely high for a special election.

That sounds like bad news for the GOP.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

That was like two months ago

Almost 4.

Jesus. HOW HAS TIME SLOWED THIS MUCH

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

No Butt Stuff posted:

Almost 4.

24 hour news cycle, endless shriek of horror/national nervous breakdown.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

No Butt Stuff posted:

Almost 4.

Lmao i feel like wevr had more scandals in five months than most presidents have in 8 goddamn years

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

OctaMurk posted:

Lmao i feel like wevr had more scandals in five months than most presidents have in 8 goddamn years

Probably goes back to reagan admin's constant corruption charges/convictions tbh

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

hanales posted:

Lol. Someone buy him an account here.

He would have a ball posting in the Suck Zone I suspect!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

evilweasel posted:

Please just ignore all reports of early voting and wait until all voting is done. Early voting has a proportional lean towards Democrats, better to just wait for the total rather than get your hopes up by the early voting and then panic when the percentages change when the total tallies start rolling in.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

OctaMurk posted:

Obama had Benghazi, Fast and Furious, Obamacare website, Umbrellagate, Eric Holder held in contempt of Congress, Spying on journalists, the IRS scandal, Hillary Clinton’s secret email server, the Pigford scandal, NSA spying scandal, the GSA scandal, the VA death-list scandal, Solyndra, and the Secret Service prostitution scandal all within 8 months.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Night10194 posted:

But that's the thing. This isn't a change at all. This is the exact poo poo they've been saying for decades now. Granted, last time it blew up so did the Oklahoma City building.

In society Narrativists are like radioactive isotopes. The higher-compaction they are, the more radioactive they are. There is always some level of background radioation and isotopes present and our (civil society in this metaphor) bodies can handle this just fine. Even a few very very radioative isotopes are harmless as long as they are isolated and very very small.

Within the present situation the number of highly-radioactive isotpes in our environment is increasingly rapidly and there is now enough radiation to threaten the health of civil society. So while the particulars right wing Narrativists are saying are not necessarily new, the amount of them that are saying it and the amount of power they have over civil society at present is what makes the situation very dangerous. I understand where your thinking is going here, but I want to stress that understanding how Narrativism will impact society is premised on two primary factors: 1.) How many high-compaction Narrativists are there per capita in the general population, and 2.) how much influence do those high-compaction Narrativists wield over the levers of power in society.

Right now the answer to those two questions are )in order) 1.)"Way too many for comfort" and 2.)"They control virtually all the important levers at the moment". That is why I ammaking such a big deal of this event. Its the timing, its too perfect for the psychological needs of high-compaction Narrativists at the oment.

From the perspective of a Trump supporting Narrativist you have two options right now. Either A.) Live in reality where your glorious leader is a conman who is destroying your country and humiliating you by proxy or B.) Live in a fantasy where you are a noble warrior-monk struggling against a sub-human/vile Enemy that must be opposed at all costs and is spreading lies about the only true champion capable of stopping them.

From those two options, which do you think the average right wing Narrativist is going to select?

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 15, 2017

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

No Butt Stuff posted:

Almost 4.

What no way? I swore that was like a year ago.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Obama had Benghazi, Fast and Furious, Obamacare website, Umbrellagate, Eric Holder held in contempt of Congress, Spying on journalists, the IRS scandal, Hillary Clinton’s secret email server, the Pigford scandal, NSA spying scandal, the GSA scandal, the VA death-list scandal, Solyndra, and the Secret Service prostitution scandal all within 8 months.

Some pretty lame "scandals" in that list. "The IRS Scandal" we really gonna count right wing media losing their poo poo over civil servants doing their job as a scandal just because they say it is?

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Wasn't the IRS explicitly targeting right wing organizations? Thats pretty bad IMO.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

No Butt Stuff posted:

Almost 4.

They say that when you know you are going to die, time decompresses and seconds seems like hours.

Javes posted:

Wasn't the IRS explicitly targeting right wing organizations? Thats pretty bad IMO.

Nope, they were targeting groups flouting the law. That most, but not all of them, were right wing was not their fault.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Javes posted:

They were targeting groups dumb enough file as a "Social Welfare Organization", but check a box stating that politics and campaigning where their primary activity. Social Welfare Organizations aren't allowed to have politics as their primary activity.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Now imagine Newt had half this poo poo on Clinton.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

How can people even here fall for "The IRS was targeting right-wing organizations."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

[to the tune of Bette Davis Eyes]

he's got shady Russian ties

The FBI thinks he's a spy

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Javes posted:

A bunch of right wing organizations were all doing the same obviously wrong thing, and since Both Sides Are Bad that meant they must have been unfairly targeting them.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

TheScott2K posted:

Some pretty lame "scandals" in that list. "The IRS Scandal" we really gonna count right wing media losing their poo poo over civil servants doing their job as a scandal just because they say it is?

Leon is pretty obviously playing devil's advocate.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Agents are GO! posted:

How can people even here fall for "The IRS was targeting right-wing organizations."

I always love how this argument fails in the negative and makes the assertions look stupid. "So what you're saying is that right-wing organizations never commit tax fraud?"

You can say much the same about Trump. "WAH, Trump is being targeted." "If he's guilty, shouldn't he be? You can't be making the blanket assumption that he's simply incorruptible."

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Discussion Quorum posted:

There's a guy blowing up a Facebook discusion group I'm in with links to random tweets by "prominent" voices on "the left" that he considers to be insufficiently navel gazing, or confirmatory of the "leftist fascism" drum he's been beating for months. I could drop a sick burn about all of the Republican leaders that have coyly broached "Second Amendment solutions" over the past eight years but what's the point? The backfire effect means that getting through to an entrenched partisan is nearly impossible if they can retreat back into their information bubble and get a hit of sweet, sweet self-affirmation.

If our political polarization descends into sectarian violence, it will most likely be Bizarro Northern Ireland where one side has all the guns and controls the government but swears up and down that the other guys started it because Julius Caesar and Kathy Griffin and Sweet Cakes :argh:

Fulchrum posted:

So you've drilled down to him having a persecution complex. Have you actually asked him why he is in a constant state of paranoia and feels that he is the victim of everyone else?
Have you tried pointing this out to him and then reporting back to us on what happens?

Cease to Hope posted:

All you can do with these people is learn how they got where they are and maybe plant a seed of doubt. There's no big cathartic victory where they realize they were right all along, you just maybe start a crack in the edifice.

Lightning Lord posted:

The real road to healing in these cases involves years of honest engagement and friendship. Look at Derek Black.

Totally owning some dude politically isn't going to do that. Not to say people shouldn't do that, just saying don't expect any kind of positive response.
It's not trying to own anyone, it's attacking what Prestor Jane calls their inner narrative. I think the goal is to raise up his anxiety so much that he flips out and starts attacking you? I've got anxiety myself so the whole thing is fascinating to me, and I might have done this accidentally to someone several months. Watching them flip out on me was pretty interesting.

Prester Jane posted:

From the perspective of a Trump supporting Narrativist you have two options right now. Either A.) Live in reality where your glorious leader is a conman who is destroying your country and humiliating you by proxy or B.) Live in a fantasy where you are a noble warrior-monk struggling against a sub-human/vile Enemy that must be opposed at all costs and is spreading lies about the only true champion capable of stopping them.
I pissed this guy off by apparently puncturing his self-image as a bold and wonderful man who struggled to teach racist students at an inner-city school but stuck with it because every man needs a battle to fight (oh, wow, no wonder it was such a pleasure seeing him get upset). Anyway, I gather that properly attacking the inner narrative involves sort of shoving option #2 in their faces, but also making it clear that they are specifically CHOOSING to think this way for reasons.

I'd kind of like to try this out on Fecebook but the only crazy people I see on there are friends of friends and I don't really want poo poo to go down someone else's Facebook post. They don't need the drama.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/875360216665161729

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I'd completely forgotten about

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Hey, anyone want to see a cult leader grooming his flock to engage in violence? Cuz you can see it right here in the below video. Check out the very opening lines used by Alex as his intro here:

Alex Jones posted:

I mean killing people is easier than cooking dinner (laughs). I mean see you understand like killing people is like going on a bird hunt. I mean its real easy, and real men do it like they put their boots on in the morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTR1xS1AHsw

You should listen at least to at least the first caller in this video (starts shortly after the intro). This is live demonstration of a cult leader psychologically leading his follower (and by proxy others like him listening in) through the process of becoming violent. Note how Alex Jones is discussing the []b]method[/b] the inevitable Civil War should be conducted in because it is simply accepted as self-evident fact by right wing Narrativists that we are on the verge of a Civil War.

Speaking of that, I just remembered something I wrote over two years ago. The below was published before even the Gay Marriage decision had taken place.

Prester Jane posted:

I think so, yes. At least, once I have been able to fully articulate my ideas, I think they predict trends fairly well. Let us consider for a moment "Narrative Convergence" and the Inner Narrative of several easily identified Authoritarian group clusters. (Obviously there are exceptions to every group cluster, these are broad trends, not perfect descriptions of every single person involved in such groups.) I feel that once the Inner Narrative's of various groups are understood it becomes very easy to see where common ground will be found between these groups. Through the Compaction Cycle as well as the need for allies, alliances will be forged as Narrative's Converge around the outlines of the Grand Narrative.

* Note, not every Authoritarian group worth mentioning is listed here. There are some notable hybrids such as Preppers that do not fit cleanly into these group clusters.

Religious Authoritarians Cluster: (Southern Baptists, Independent Baptists, Evangelicals, Fundamentalists, Non-Denominational, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc)
  • "We are a tiny minority fighting against a world controlled by Satan."
  • "The government is used by Satan as a proxy against us."
  • "Yahweh will destroy the country soon if we do not follow his commandments."
  • "The world would be paradise if all non believers were either converted or destroyed."
  • "We possess the only true source of morality."
  • "We are on the verge of the apocalypse."

Economic Authoritarians Cluster (Libertarians, Objectivists, "End The Fed" types, "gently caress You Got Mine" types, substantial portion of the Tea Party, etc.)
  • "We are a tiny minority fighting against a world controlled by ignorance of Free Market principles."
  • "Government Regulations and Fiat Currency are used by the Government as a proxy against us."
  • "The Free Market will destroy the Country soon if we do not adhere to its principles."
  • "The World would be paradise if all regulations were destroyed."
  • "We possess the only the source of morality."
  • "We are on the verge of an economic collapse."

Paranoid Authoritarians Cluster: (9-11 Truthers, various Conspiracy Theorists, UFO nuts, Militia Movement, Occultists, etc)
  • "We are a tiny minority fighting against a world controlled by the Illuminati."
  • "The US Government is used by the Illuminati as a proxy against us."
  • "The illuminati will destroy almost all of the human population soon if we do not resist them."
  • "The World would be paradise if the Illuminati were destroyed."
  • "We are on the verge of the Illuminati collapsing the world on purpose."

Racist Authoritarians Cluster (KKK, Neo-Nazis', Stormfront, substantial portion of the Tea Party, Freep, etc)
  • "We are a tiny minority fighting against a world controlled by race traitors."
  • "The Us Government is used by the race traitors as a proxy against us."
  • "*Insert Minority Here* will kill whitey if we do not stop them."
  • "The World would be paradise if *Insert Minority Here* were destroyed."
  • "We are on the verge of RaHoWa (Racial Holy War)".

Looking at all these Inner Narrative's, and knowing that because of the Compaction cycle as well as the culture wars in general, these groups are all talking to each other in a way they have not really done so before. They are reaching out and finding areas of agreement. Authoritarians are really just different factions of a united group, and they are starting to think of themselves as different tribes united in purpose against a common mortal threat. With that in mind let me summarize where the Narrative Convergence is likely to eventually settle. (This assumes that nothing happens to interrupt the Narrative Convergence. Some sort of interruption in this cycle is possible, although it is difficult to conceive of a plausible scenario where that occurs right now short of something fantastic and random like a meteor impact.)

Projected Inner Narrative of all groups:
  • "We are a tiny minority (representing a silent majority) fighting against a world controlled by evil."
  • "The Us Government is used by the evil ones as a proxy against us."
  • "We will all be destroyed if we do not rise up."
  • "The World would be paradise if the evil ones (and their proxy the US government) were destroyed."
  • "We are on the verge of a 2nd Civil War."

Fake Edit: Aw, no red text. only mean black text :sigh:

Real Edit: fixed video link.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 15, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

Please just ignore all reports of early voting and wait until all voting is done. Early voting has a proportional lean towards Democrats, better to just wait for the total rather than get your hopes up by the early voting and then panic when the percentages change when the total tallies start rolling in.

its not worth trying to infer the winner from the breakdown of early votes, but it is pretty silly not to use the number of early votes as a yardstick for how many people are likely to vote in total

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm 99% sure that there has already been a shooting by a lunatic that listens to Alex Jones wasn't the guy that shot up the abortion clinic a Alex Jones listener

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Prester Jane posted:

For the record I have no loving idea what to do about this or how the situation can be remedied. I wish I did. Unfortunately when I wished for the super power of premonition I did so on a monkeys paw. That is why I can only predict the future if it is dominated by crazy people and the wish gave me no idea on how to prevent/cope with the situations my super powers allow me to foresee.

I guess the lesson here is that if you are ever homeless and an old Gypsy lady offer to let you make a wish on her monkeys paw and you decide to play along to humor her then be very careful and don't make a sarcastic wish because you juuuuuust might be holding the real thing.

holy poo poo you actually think you're some modern day cassandra instead of this thread's louise mensch. you're so goddamn high on your own farts it's unbelievable. you already have a thread dedicated to your half-baked pseudo-sociology, don't poo poo this one up ffs

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

After cooling down for 24 hours I do feel sympathy for Scalise and hope he recovers. I hope he himself gains some synoathy for his in victims.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
The far right wing commit political murder on a semi-regular basis. That's why yesterday was pounced upon so quickly: someone on the left doing it is a relative rarity, so they felt the need to yell about it loudly to try to make it seem equivalent. But they're always yelling as loud as they can, and that only works for so long until it starts losing its effect. They're already constantly accusing Dems and liberals of this sort of thing anyway. They've gone so loud for so long that they've run out of room to escalate without making prosecution-worthy statements. When everything is the end of the world, nothing is.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Grapplejack posted:

Trump's approval rating right now is roughly tied with Clinton's at this period in his administration.

Please note that Waco had just happened in Clinton's administration, and Trump hasn't killed a couple hundred civilians on US soil yet, so

Also Clinton's disapproval was way lower than Trump's is right now

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I still think its funny that the UK called for early parliamentary elections, had a full campaign in all seats, voted, and announced the results all within the space of time between the special primary and general election for GA-06

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Rigel posted:

I still think its funny that the UK called for early parliamentary elections, had a full campaign in all seats, voted, and announced the results all within the space of time between the special primary and general election for GA-06

And even with all that time, GA still tried to bar new voter registrations.

A lovely Reporter posted:

The far right wing commit political murder on a semi-regular basis. That's why yesterday was pounced upon so quickly: someone on the left doing it is a relative rarity, so they felt the need to yell about it loudly to try to make it seem equivalent. But they're always yelling as loud as they can, and that only works for so long until it starts losing its effect. They're already constantly accusing Dems and liberals of this sort of thing anyway. They've gone so loud for so long that they've run out of room to escalate without making prosecution-worthy statements. When everything is the end of the world, nothing is.

Same with Kathy Griffin and violent rhetoric/imagery.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

botany posted:

holy poo poo you actually think you're some modern day cassandra instead of this thread's louise mensch. you're so goddamn high on your own farts it's unbelievable. you already have a thread dedicated to your half-baked pseudo-sociology, don't poo poo this one up ffs

Prester Jane's posts are better than this post, actually, and it's easy enough to read their interesting observations and take their predictions with a grain of salt if you feel the need. There is a lot of overlap between threads in this forum and "insane ways the right wing thinks" is very relevant to PJ's own thread, the RWM thread, and this one at the very least.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Al Borland Corp. posted:

After cooling down for 24 hours I do feel sympathy for Scalise and hope he recovers. I hope he himself gains some synoathy for his in victims.

Don't hold your breath.

I know I say things when I've had too much alcohol in me or when there's some pretty distressing news, but I really don't wish the Scalise or his ilk dead. But I would not count on him trying to get something like the Brady Plan enacted.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I got dogged for feeling this way yesterday.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't. I don't want him to die, but I have precisely zero emotional energy to spend feeling sorry for him

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Al Borland Corp. posted:

If you are pro-gun you should have to take a non-fatal gunshot wound so you realize how serious it is :getin:

I also hope this piece of poo poo recovers but changes his way of thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Chilichimp posted:

Now imagine Newt had half this poo poo on Clinton.

Just the tip newt?

• Locked thread