Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

If you want to compare Bay Area hedonisms, Google rented out the entire Santa Cruz boardwalk today and shuttled employees there for a day on the beach, with free arcade games and food and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

Who orders sushi with bourgie white people food?
People in the san francisco bay area.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

therobit posted:

Once upon a time, before my office was taken away from my department and given to a different department, they catered lunch for us.

My boss said "we're gonna get Chines food."

It was Panda Express.

loving liar. That isn't Chinese OR food.

Panda Express cooks its food in the authentic Californian tradition.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
We recently had a team lunch as a morale builder, but we had to cook the food ourselves!

It was an in house cooking class we signed up for, everything was delicious.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I hope I can be at a position in my life where I"m a complete snob about the food my employer occasionally provides for employee appreciation.

Until then, I'll just deal with people that can't understand things like: "If you mess up on your W-4 or I-9 when you fill it out, you need to do a new one. if you make any errors on your W-4 or I-9, don't scratch it off and write something next to it. Please tell me and I will provide you with a new sheet."

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Volmarias posted:

We recently had a team lunch as a morale builder, but we had to cook the food ourselves!

It was an in house cooking class we signed up for, everything was delicious.

I'm okay with an office pot luck from time to time.

We've had 4 so far just this year though, everyone's sick of them and puts no effort in anymore. Corporate cutting our fun money budget to $0 is starting to show it's effects.

The first two pot lucks were awesome at least

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I don't know any deets about our upcoming picnic yet

It's not for like 6 weeks

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

edit: gently caress this thread

The Sean fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 24, 2020

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Star Man posted:

I hope I can be at a position in my life where I"m a complete snob about the food my employer occasionally provides for employee appreciation.

My work only provides Boneshaker in bottles not on tap. It's a loving disgrace.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'd drive across the Atlantic if work paid for it.

It would be a nice break from the monotony.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

The Sean posted:

We have a summer event coming up that will be held at a state park where swimming is the focus. The email warned that the entrance closes if the park reaches capacity, so if you get blocked from entering you have to drive an hour back to the office and work the rest of the day. Fairly reasonable in a way but really dumb.

No, that doesn't make any goddamn sense. Why don't they rent a picnic are you can actually be guaranteed access to?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

edit: gently caress this thread

The Sean fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 24, 2020

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

The Sean posted:

I dont know it's just the weird way they do things around here. Also, it's looked down upon if you don't want to go, even though not being able to go is a possibility.

Well in your case the boss just wants to get you into a speedo I imagine.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

The Sean posted:

I dont know it's just the weird way they do things around here. Also, it's looked down upon if you don't want to go, even though not being able to go is a possibility.

Please wear a diving suit. A psuedo-mandatory swimming work event is the dumbest poo poo.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The only corporate retreat I went on that I really enjoyed was the one where we went to Vail and stayed at a swank rear end hotel and basically did no work aside from chatting a bit about possible projects while riding the ski lifts. That's really the only way to do it, gently caress all work.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Working for an alcohol company, at work events it's kind of accepted that people will get poo poo faced. Last big group meeting was held in Austin, free beer during lunch and wine tasting during the conference, and then we had company sponsored nightly bar crawls that culminated in insanely drunk karaoke. I'm still not really comfortable doing that kind of thing with coworkers, just feels weird to me.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
At least you won't have any problems entertaining Japanese clients/vendors.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Speaking of Japanese companies, my company is former zaibatsu and we have a long history with Asahi Beer, including saving their rear end after WW2. Every year we have a joint party to celebrate the relationship, everyone from each company is invited. Fun fact: in 2012 Brown-Forman dropped their contract with Suntory at the end of 2012. So besides ridiculous quantities of beer there's a Jack Daniels booth at the event every year too. Last year someone had to pull me off the curb to prevent me getting hit by a car. Yet somehow woke up with two cases of beer in my fridge.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The blackout where you somehow wake up with a net positive on booze is one of the best case scenario blackout

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

zmcnulty posted:

Speaking of Japanese companies, my company is former zaibatsu and we have a long history with Asahi Beer, including saving their rear end after WW2. Every year we have a joint party to celebrate the relationship, everyone from each company is invited. Fun fact: in 2012 Brown-Forman dropped their contract with Suntory at the end of 2012. So besides ridiculous quantities of beer there's a Jack Daniels booth at the event every year too. Last year someone had to pull me off the curb to prevent me getting hit by a car. Yet somehow woke up with two cases of beer in my fridge.

Asahi was the only beer my coworkers wanted to drink when I lived in Japan. That's good stuff and I always have good memories on the rare occasion I grab some at the grocery store.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I work at a mushroom farm where the people that run it are not only racists, but can't even spell the names of their own products or equipment correctly.

I wish I was dead.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

QFmBB2IzYFZZpEA5r7yQ
g41CGXrUXxXXyxJVAwBr
cniD87f2QyWOj3AHBAf5
wpodFjVV2CNs2RWjtQZy
2iZ9EvNJZysRdfgHYFNv
N12Fj3MgIXSxQ8YEHDUp
SwqZly0pMh2ml4d0yAon
ooM6NG6hPCe477Yt9Kkh
AD8gjeUrxDJR5zT9NCqC
KK6hIDCMfx87i32fm7RZ

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 27, 2023

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Zero Gravitas posted:

Marketing.txt

:byodame: ...so i I've getting my teeth cleaned, its all the coffee I drink that discolours them ive even started brushing my teeth with activated charcoal

:science: maybe you should try brushing your teeth with meths that's a great cleaner

:byodame: (totally seriously) oh, you reckon? I'll do that when I get home then!

:science: :gonk: no don't actually do that Jesus wept

Yeah, use Domestos, that stuff gets rid of everything!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I like giving people incredibly bad, should be obviously a joke advice just to see if they do it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

You know what's a great time to dick around making changes to something that we're on deadline for today and which should have been final like a week ago?

Oh, those waves of pure anathametic hate that I'm sending through the computer at our remote sales rep? That's just a coincidence, I'm sure.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Jesus christ. I would love to get through one pay day where this farm doesn't turn into a loving circus. Just once.

I just want to drive over to Colorado and beat the ever living poo poo out of the owner to convince him that we need direct deposit going.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Star Man posted:

Jesus christ. I would love to get through one pay day where this farm doesn't turn into a loving circus. Just once.

I just want to drive over to Colorado and beat the ever living poo poo out of the owner to convince him that we need direct deposit going.

... okay you win

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I see our owner(s) and CEO daily but any of the three could easily take me in a fight.

I mostly like this company though, I have my minor annoyances but the CEO is moving the company in the general direction of "things actually work the way we want them to" sooo poo poo could be a lot worse.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Star Man posted:

Yeah, your mushroom farm stories seriously creep me out. :(

Tell us more of them!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Sundae posted:

Yeah, your mushroom farm stories seriously creep me out. :(

Tell us more of them!

Seconding this. Has anyone gotten infected by the spores and turned into a zombie?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
We went axe throwing tonight and it loving owned. That poo poo is super fun. Especially with an open bar.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

We went axe throwing tonight and it loving owned. That poo poo is super fun. Especially with an open bar.

What could possibly go wrong?

How do I sign up for this poo poo? (I'm serious, that owns)

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Shugojin posted:

I see our owner(s) and CEO daily but any of the three could easily take me in a fight.
That's why you jump them from behind with something heavy :toughguy: fair fights are for fairy tales and video games

(Don't actually do this)

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Make sure to jump them while they are on a conference call. No one will know who's getting assaulted and there will be madness while someone adds 911 to the call.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Motronic posted:

What could possibly go wrong?

How do I sign up for this poo poo? (I'm serious, that owns)

It's a thing in Toronto and Ottawa. Not sure where else.

Throwing axes at targets while drinking is unsurprisingly super fun.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

SpartanIV posted:

Make sure to jump them while they are on a conference call. No one will know who's getting assaulted and there will be madness while someone adds 911 to the call.

Unfortunately if they use Webex they can see who is talking. Of course, if everyone erupts talking about it then it will cover you for a bit.

Best bet is to drop a printer on thier head to knock them out and then stab them to death with the scissors.

No, I do not think about how to kill members of the executive leadership for 50% of my working hours. I'm not a psycho.

therobit fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 17, 2017

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

So are you going to the concert this Saturday with 3-4 Top 40 artists?

Concert Trip Report:

The company booked out SF Giants baseball stadium for the company, complete with all the ballpark food vendors. Two alcohol tickets per adult (aka 4 if you brought your spouse), but unlimited food, soda and water. I spent a lot of time wandering from stall to stall trying all the things the park offered. The best is still the good old fashioned ballpark hot dog, honestly. Badge of Shame goes to either the chinese food stand's orange chicken or the pizza. They were both abysmal. I sat in the nosebleeds for the nice breeze and shade, but I also wandered around the indoor luxury box area just so I could say I did. Glad I didn't stay there, honestly, because the screaming children were a bit much in that area. (Plus, the weather was gorgeous.) Nosebleed concourse area was set up with dozens of bouncy castles for children, face painting, carnival games, etc. Pretty cool idea for people with families.

I'd guess there were 15,000 people or so there when I left. No idea how many were there for the main act since I left after the first two. Next year, I'll probably come later in the afternoon instead of being there when it opens.

Musical Selection: :lol:

The opening act was the best of the day, I think, and I'm not even a fan. Aloe Blacc opened the concert and put on a pretty good performance. Good vocals, sound carried well in the stadium, and it was just nice.
Second act was -- hold onto your hats because apparently we've entered a tear in the space-time continuum -- Weezer. I hated them when they were younger, and I still hate them now that they're in their late 40s.
By this time, my wife and I decided to head home and beat the rush, so we missed the grand finale by the main act, Kelly Clarkson. My co-workers texted me and said I missed absolutely nothing. Sounds about right.

Still, super cool that the company even did this. Coming from a company where a Christmas celebration at Olive Garden was considered a big treat, I still loved it. It was great for people-watching and I can never resist hot dogs.

quote:

Previous talk about alcohol at company events

There were some serious fuckheads getting drunk by about 2PM, including a guy vomiting over the railing (wtf) and a group of what I'll assume were marketing bros standing in the middle of the crowd of people and trying to swing their beers around in their arms so that the angular momentum kept the beer in their cup and didn't spill it. They failed miserably every time, but other people telling them to stop splashing everyone was no deterrent. I didn't hang around to see if they got thrown out, because I saw a brisket and mac & cheese stand and followed my nose instead.

So yeah, judging by how people treated alcohol with a two-drink limit before cash, I'm not surprised that the company stopped doing the unlimited booze thing. Dumbasses are why we can't have nice things.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Last night I dreamed I was retired, living in a farmhouse with a small apple orchard.

Happy Monday, everyone.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Trabant posted:

Last night I dreamed I was retired, living in a farmhouse with a small apple orchard.

Happy Monday, everyone.

If I had a window in my basement, open floor plan office, I would sigh and look out of it wistfully

Renegret fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

What the hell