Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Three panel comics of Poppy and Kit sitting on a couch playing videogames!

Edit: This is it, the worst snipe, I'm so proud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I would throw all the money in the world at a sketchy-art Poppy slice of life thing.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Dang, I've really enjoyed Poppy :sigh: . I can imagine how rough it is to produce, though, and if it ain't workin' it ain't workin'.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The only webcomic that should be in the library of congress is Sluggy Freelance.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
who sends death threats to webcomic artists? tumblr?

turning a webcomic into a novel won't work

i wasn't really a fan of the comic, but morbi seemed to be chill and sane for a webcomic artist

and he had the guts to post in the 4c thread

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jun 15, 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Hogge Wild posted:

morbi seemed to be [...] sane

and he had the guts to post in the 4c thread

You're contradicting yourself here.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Cat Mattress posted:

You're contradicting yourself here.

i said for a webcomic artist

some of them are real characters

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

The only webcomic that should be in the library of congress is Sluggy Freelance.

also Boston and Shaun

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
If I go the web novel approach, I'm going to try and balance it out with as much visual feedback as I can, because I know exactly how it jarring feels to go from "webcomic" to "pure text descriptions" myself. People inherently like knowing what their mental image of a situation should be.
At the very least, every character introduction and location change would be accompanied by an illustration, and action scenes will be more or less storyboarded, maybe even as entire full-comic pages inserted within the text.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

How did you get this far into it without noticing that it would take 25 years to finish the hobby project you were kinda lukewarm about going in?

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

Morbi posted:

If I go the web novel approach, I'm going to try and balance it out with as much visual feedback as I can, because I know exactly how it jarring feels to go from "webcomic" to "pure text descriptions" myself. People inherently like knowing what their mental image of a situation should be.
At the very least, every character introduction and location change would be accompanied by an illustration, and action scenes will be more or less storyboarded, maybe even as entire full-comic pages inserted within the text.

That's a decent idea and could work well.

Now you just need a better story, world and characters.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Morbi posted:

I'm going to keep reading it regardless, because it's amazing, but I know from the other illustrated stories you did that it just isn't going to feel the same. Just for example, it's hard to fit in time to do the little background jokes, because if it's illustrated in the midst of text, everything in it automatically feels important. That's life, though. I think a lot of us would at least like to know how the story ends and it would provide a path for that.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

PMush Perfect posted:

8 Bit Theater is the only good sprite comic.
B0N3D00D and pLaTeDeWd

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Morbi posted:

Personally, I'd be fine with that. Hopefully the 'deaththreat, leave if anything changes' contingent is small.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Death threats will hopefully be small no matter what happens but readership's likely to fall off a cliff. Poppy's main appeal is in its art, not its writing.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

webcomics is too insecure a job to continue with if you're not in love with it, imo

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

AriadneThread posted:

webcomics is too insecure a job to continue with if you're not in love with it, imo

It actually seems like a reliable source of income once you're established.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Typical Pubbie posted:

In the same way that starting a band is maybe

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Typical Pubbie posted:

Eh there are a few exceptions but on average, even if you are making a livable income the amount of work it takes to sustain it is pretty immense. People always underestimate how much work goes into maintaining a comic. If you break it down hourly many successful webcomic artists don't even make minimum wage. Comics are terrible for money. If you have debt(lol artschool) or need health insurance on top of that, then it's even worse if you are a US artist.

There's plenty of good reasons to make a comic, but money sure as hell ain't one of them.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

JuniperCake posted:

There's plenty of good reasons to make a comic, but money sure as hell ain't one of them.

Can't emphasize this enough, there's a freakish amount of luck involved in making a comic "successful", even if you know what you're doing.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I'm not denying that it's hard to break out or that comics are hard work. But it seems like a predictable business model. You know roughly what your patreon donations will be, and your cost is the time it takes to make the comic plus hosting. The only pitfall is underestimating how long a page will take to make, or having your wacom die in you.

I'm not saying it's easy, just predictable.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Morbi, go back and look at the last two Tumblr asks you answered. They're like the internal voice people use to put themselves down made flesh, and you're giving them air time over people who don't actively delight in making you feel like poo poo.

Just, consider turning off your asks or something, get your feedback and criticism from friends and family and artists who actually want you to succeed. I'm not saying it's going to make you feel differently about what to do with Poppy in the long run, but however much it may seem fun to wind these people up with deadpan responses, people like that are poison to a person's mental wellbeing. Don't do that to yourself.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 15, 2017

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Typical Pubbie posted:

Yeah all you have to do is start in the late nineties or early 2000s, and never ever miss an update

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
https://www.dresdencodak.com

Webcomic fans rarely punish their favorites monetarily for missing updates. As long as you have your patreon set to monthly donations the money stream is very resilient. You are set up for monthly donations, right Morbi?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

If it's so easy and reliable why don't you try it out and let us know how it goes?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
"Caught lightning in a bottle" is so common a turn of phrase, that must mean it's super easy to do!!

Webcomics, especially post-2005, are the epitome toiling in obscurity for years before maybe gaining any kind of following at all, much less one that will pay you a livable salary en masse. There's a reason the Making Comics thread is called "Howling into the void three times a week."

It is not something I would ever consider to be or recommend as a source of easy income. If you're doing it, you better love doing it because that's the only guaranteed reward.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
It's weird how people are fighting me on this when I literally said it isn't easy, but once you are established (which Poppy is by webcomic standards), the income is dependable and won't just vanish if you stop updating. As long as your patreon is setup right.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Typical Pubbie posted:

It's weird how people are fighting me on this when I literally said it isn't easy, but once you are established (which Poppy is by webcomic standards), the income is dependable and won't just vanish if you stop updating. As long as your patreon is setup right.

Getting established is beyond "not easy," it's basically winning the lottery. Your comic can be really good and people just won't know about it because they don't happen to notice your banner ad or your fans aren't the kind of people to talk about webcomics they like to their friends. It's just not something to bank on, especially if your fanbase is getting hostile and terrible which seems to be the case for Morbi with Poppy.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Typical Pubbie posted:

Patreon is a fairly new revenue stream and might well not exist in a few years. It fluctuates on the whims of donors and may only provide negligible income at best depending on the comic.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Yes. You are correct. Getting popular isn't easy, which is irrelevant since we're talking about a relatively popular webcomic.

Morbi, ignore the haters. Love yourself.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think right now, the problem with webcomics, at least some, is they're a dime a dozen for some genres. Gag-a-day is cool and all, but why should I read X when Y already provides for me? I think some writers feel that "oh, this isn't attracting people" compared to a similar one, or is criticized for being a clone of Z and well, you end up with likely what happened to CAD.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

iospace posted:

what happened to CAD.

Making $4,680 a month on patreon?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tunicate posted:

Making $4,680 a month on patreon?

Not my point. What I'm saying is one could argue that it was being accused of being unoriginal and spoofing PA or whatnot, so it decided to try a plot and well, we all know where that went.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Whatever a webcomicker decides to do with their content is their choice. So long as there isn't some kind of kind of contract or preorders or anything, there's no real obligation to continue beyond their own work ethic. Patreon donations means there's some kind of viewer base that's financially invested somehow or another, and that's a whole bag of worms, but whatever obligations that creates are nebulous at best. I'd consider it bad form at least to do a long hiatus or straight-up stop in the middle of a story without like a heads-up.

I feel like even though there are very successful webcomics out there, webcomics are still more of a hobby that you can get lucky with than a career. Most every creative field is filled with amateurs eager for a chance at the big time, just with webcomics it's much more feasible to self-publish and put content out on your own.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Here's how you can be a webcomic success:
1. Build a time machine
2. Start your comic in the late 90s or the early 00s.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Cat Mattress posted:

Here's how you can be a webcomic success:
1. Build a time machine
2. Start your comic in the late 90s or the early 00s.

Tell that to Argon Zark!

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

Morbi posted:

yo Morbi been meaning to say this for a while but I think Poppy owns, it has fun panel event pacing and the character designs are tremendously good, especially the facial expressions which you always manage to make a treat. when it comes to moment to moment enjoyment of seeing characters bounce off of each other with dialogue and body action it's currently the most compelling webcomic of which I'm aware; v. high level of art'ing and truly great panel detail work on a strong backbone of characterization.

do what ya gotta do to make it something you can continue, enjoy, and finish in a reasonable amount of time. If you're feeling more passionate about writing, then doing illustrated stories seems like a good way to go. The winter story's use of illustration felt a little weak as images weren't super frequent, and also generally disconnected from the content of the story as asides, but I think you could find a good balance. The original moomin books did a nice job of it, including formatting text + illustration to support each other. Even for text there's a visual aesthetic space you can play with:

this might align with trying out more multimedia concepts in general, such as having cool audio-talented fans make music you embed as a background track to a story page or doing a bit of animation to punctuate an illustration. those sort of neat little change ups can help with the ever-encroaching monotony (and might be why the winter content was so refreshing to you). dunno how much writing you've done in general but I'd definitely recommend finding a cool editor you trust to give some oversight and feedback if you decide to go heavy with text moving forward, that sort of oversight is super helpful for any media project of any significant length honestly.

and if you do end up going web novel route, there's nothing stopping you from being more art-lavish on particularly important sections of story, or saying 'hey this is a climax to action so I'll do a page summarizing then a few pages to end the arc on.'

have you done any other comic (or illustrated story) concepts during Poppy's 300 pages? it might be worth lowering output on Poppy and trying something/s new and forcibly short, self-contained, to test out possible new formats and to see if it breaks your funk.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I know you assholes are gonna jump down my wizened scotch hardened throat for this but Poppy just seems like a furry webcomic with some weird magic anime poo poo going on and I don't get why its such a break away hit with goon-

You know what, I think I get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I've said it before, but when you get right down to it, Bugs Bunny is just a big talking rabbit, too. Most people seem pretty okay with that. Who even gives a poo poo if the main character is some kind of animal person? I've read things where the main character was a robot or a four-foot tall hairy-footed kleptomaniac or a zombie wizard or the personification of the concept of death and it doesn't make a drat bit of difference in the end. All that's important is that interesting stuff happens in the story and that whatever the main character is plays into it.

• Locked thread