Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Best maps:
cu chi
Hill937

An lao and song be im not wild about the mode which turns me off of the maps themselves.

Hue id probably love if it didnt get voted on literally 10x more than every other map combined. Its danzig all over again.

The game desperately needs a push map where the americans defend (hell just flip hill937)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Basticle posted:

The game desperately needs a push map where the americans defend (hell just flip hill937)

I think that a game mode where the Americans need to defend a helicopter landing zone while they are evacuated would be really cool. Score it based on how many players can hitch a ride out of the map before tickets and time runs out.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Tbh the game needs like, double its current maps.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I'd also like a map with crazy dense foliage.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Glenn Quebec posted:

Tbh the game needs like, double its current maps.

They've released a map editor so hopefully some user made maps are in the pipe somewhere.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

turn off the TV posted:

They've released a map editor so hopefully some user made maps are in the pipe somewhere.

I swear to God that if they release a Vietnam version of Bridges, I will scream.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Gaghskull posted:

I swear to God that if they release a Vietnam version of Bridges, I will scream.

They will.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
A night time airfield defense would be a pretty cool map.

Also I think something to do with Operation Junction City would be pretty cool, but that's probably just because I was in the 173rd.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Didn't we take it twice? And then immediately abandoned it back to the NVA both times?

This game has gotten me to start reading up on some literature about the war. Working-Class War: American Combat Soldiers and Vietnam by Christian G. Appy is very informative and helps flesh out some of the context for the American side of the conflict.

Hamburger Hill was just what US High Command wanted was to use all their high tech toys on a bunch of guerrilla fighters that tend to disappear in the jungles right when they engaged the US Forces. Hell, apparently the generals just sent out US patrols as bait to lure out PAVN and NLF to fight them. Same thing with Khe Sanh.

The game has been fun so far for me. Been enjoying it and having to keep checking behind me as me and my squad enters into the jungle since the enemy can pop out of anywhere. They apparently have in the pipeline to add in ARVN as a faction, so, we will most likely get the Battle of Saigon in one form or another.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Pesticide20 posted:

A night time airfield defense would be a pretty cool map.

Also I think something to do with Operation Junction City would be pretty cool, but that's probably just because I was in the 173rd.

Oh god. No night time maps please. Its hard enough to spot people as it is. :ohdear:

Also, I've noticed that I can hide a lot better when I customized my character to be as dark as possible. The NLA got an all black clothing option, with a black helmet, after picking that I noticed that I get the drop on enemy players more often if I'm moving in shrubbery and dark areas. Same with the Americans, no rolled up sleeves, and the camo striped boonie is the best option for sneaky business.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Gaghskull posted:

What are you talking about? Bridges is a terrific map (if you join a server that runs bots in the place of empty slots so you can grind out weapon levels, which was a terrible terrible aspect of RO2 and RS1).

GyverMac posted:

Oh god. No night time maps please. Its hard enough to spot people as it is. :ohdear:

Also, I've noticed that I can hide a lot better when I customized my character to be as dark as possible. The NLA got an all black clothing option, with a black helmet, after picking that I noticed that I get the drop on enemy players more often if I'm moving in shrubbery and dark areas. Same with the Americans, no rolled up sleeves, and the camo striped boonie is the best option for sneaky business.

Although it's a little annoying to run around at low levels sticking out like this, I am really glad they maintained the system where higher level players start looking like they've been in the poo poo waaaaay too long.

Protip: if you want to figure out if someone is a GI or NVA soldier at a glance, look at how they run. They carried over a lot of the animations from RS1, so American soldiers run holding their guns in both hands and NVA run holding it in one. You might think to look for the helmet, but this is one of the easiest ways to tell the difference between silhouettes at range.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 12, 2017

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Pro tip: everyone looks the same while they burn. Call napalm, drop Willie Pete, and throw flame everywhere without regard for anybody's life

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Pesticide20 posted:

Pro tip: everyone looks the same while they burn. Call napalm, drop Willie Pete, and throw flame everywhere without regard for anybody's life

Had a commander that was insta-kicked due to dropping napalm over a point we were rushing in Hue City. The only downside of burning everything. :(

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Ramba Ral posted:

This game has gotten me to start reading up on some literature about the war. Working-Class War: American Combat Soldiers and Vietnam by Christian G. Appy is very informative and helps flesh out some of the context for the American side of the conflict.

Hamburger Hill was just what US High Command wanted was to use all their high tech toys on a bunch of guerrilla fighters that tend to disappear in the jungles right when they engaged the US Forces. Hell, apparently the generals just sent out US patrols as bait to lure out PAVN and NLF to fight them. Same thing with Khe Sanh.

The game has been fun so far for me. Been enjoying it and having to keep checking behind me as me and my squad enters into the jungle since the enemy can pop out of anywhere. They apparently have in the pipeline to add in ARVN as a faction, so, we will most likely get the Battle of Saigon in one form or another.

The Tunnels Of Cu-Chi is an excellent read as well - it covers the Americans increasingly technological attempts to destroy and infiltrate the tunnels, never once actually realising the magnitude of what they were dealing with, and the actual soldiers at the sharp end who boiled it down to a short man with a revolver, a torch and some rope.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Pesticide20 posted:

If someone gets salty over being TK'd by a flamethrower, ask them why they thought it was a good idea to get between a man and his flame, dear flame.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Ramba Ral posted:

Hell, apparently the generals just sent out US patrols as bait to lure out PAVN and NLF to fight them.

We still do that. It works.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
An lao is the worst map in the game by a wide margin and apparently its the favorite of all the idiots who map vote every time i play now.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Someone hasn't played enough 64 player Firebase.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Been streaming/playing a poo poo ton of this game.

https://www.twitch.tv/s_o_y

Mostly just for my few friends but whatever.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Gaghskull posted:

Had a commander that was insta-kicked due to dropping napalm over a point we were rushing in Hue City. The only downside of burning everything. :(

from one of my mates

Knobb Manwich posted:

Someone hasn't played enough 64 player Firebase.

firebase 64 is a great way to relax your brain for 15 minutes. At least until one side caps both B and C and it becomes a nightmare for the other side to get out of the spawn

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

That is a really great clip

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Well, there was several friendly fire incidents in that battle so this is historically true at least!

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I played with two guys named "Camouflage" and "Awfully Big Marine"

I've never been happier

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I don't have the reflexes, so I always get owned in close encounters. Hello, I'm one of those a-holes sniping from the far flanks of the map with my AK/M16 (cuz everyone always beats me to a sniper slot).

And yeah, this game needs twice as many maps.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

If people stopped voting for Hue City it would feel like there are twice as many maps.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bees everywhere posted:

If people stopped voting for Hue City it would feel like there are twice as many maps.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Hue Hue hue

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I played with two guys named "Camouflage" and "Awfully Big Marine"

I've never been happier

Holy poo poo that's an awesome blast from the past

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Hexenritter posted:

Holy poo poo that's an awesome blast from the past

The song owns

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Recorded some clips while playing with some other goons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDCqxzqZvxM

The Huey pilot at the end managed to gain a little bit of control and when I went to search the wreckage he shot me.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

bees everywhere posted:

I will take Hue over An Lo valley any day.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Any time I get in a server we play An Lao to death. I played that map back to back so often that I forgot Song Be was a map and voted for that because I thought it was a new one.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Pesticide20 posted:

Recorded some clips while playing with some other goons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDCqxzqZvxM

The Huey pilot at the end managed to gain a little bit of control and when I went to search the wreckage he shot me.

that final clip is amazing

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Hamlet442 posted:

Any time I get in a server we play An Lao to death. I played that map back to back so often that I forgot Song Be was a map and voted for that because I thought it was a new one.

I think I played song be for the first time today.

e: any tips on using the flamethrower?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Aim and flame.

Your teammates will run into you, they also will not forgive you.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Stairmaster posted:

I think I played song be for the first time today.

Pretty much always have your map open. If you see a gap in the line on the map shoot flames into it and you'll probably be burning people (that aren't yours).

Commoners fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 15, 2017

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Had a clutch victory last night thanks to good artillery markers from goon squads and a last second napalm drop thanks to your truly. Even the enemy team was congratulating us. Really like playing as commander.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Stairmaster posted:

It's really strong for clearing out campers because it's fire and forget, which also makes it excellent for prefiring. You do not have to ADS, just get close enough to land a hit, so it's also really good for running and gunning. When I'm using a flamethrower I try to get behind the enemy in close quarters and keep moving for as long as possible so that people have a harder time figuring out what's going on.

Don't bother using it on the parts of maps where you can't get the drop on people and where there's a good chance that anyone will be 20 feet away.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I wasnt there for this but my friend did this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YgmbUhIvF4

• Locked thread