Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I picked this up in the mega sale for 16 bucks and...it's the first and only PS4 game my wife has wanted to play? Can someone explain Ultimate Team to me, I've never played FIFA since that came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Imagine if your soccer team was a collectible card game deck, and you could fill it with players from pretty much every major professional league in the world. Now consider that players from the same league or country will perform better when linked up and you've got the roster construction idea.

e: for example, check out this roster I've been messing about with: https://www.futbin.com/17/squad/4477293. Four different leagues in there, but because I mixed nations/leagues/teams they'll all perform at or near their peak.

t a s t e fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 9, 2017

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Imagine if your soccer team was a collectible card game deck, and you could fill it with players from pretty much every major professional league in the world. Now consider that players from the same league or country will perform better when linked up and you've got the roster construction idea.

e: for example, check out this roster I've been messing about with: https://www.futbin.com/17/squad/4477293. Four different leagues in there, but because I mixed nations/leagues/teams they'll all perform at or near their peak.

Cool. Can you earn packs in game?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

You can, but the game pushes buying them as a great idea. It isn't, and you should almost never do it. Instead, use the coins you earn from playing games to do the Squad Building Challenges, where you construct rosters and submit players for rewards. A lot of them were built before price crashes, so you can turn a solid profit if you take your time and think outside the box. There are a few guides on which to pursue, but make sure to check futbin/futhead as well for cheap options on players.

If you're good enough to get into the Weekend League by winning a daily knockout tournament, you'll get free rewards scaling by how many games you win in that competition.

General Dire
Apr 24, 2008
Anyone got any tips on tackling? Some people I play seem to be on my player like a leech the second he receives the ball and they always come away with the tackle if I show even a little bit of the ball (and sometimes even if I don't) but when I try this while holding L2 I just get run right past. Is it just getting really good at sprinting into the space right in front of the attacker? Thanks for the tips guys, the corner stuff really helped me last time around.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

General Dire posted:

Anyone got any tips on tackling? Some people I play seem to be on my player like a leech the second he receives the ball and they always come away with the tackle if I show even a little bit of the ball (and sometimes even if I don't) but when I try this while holding L2 I just get run right past. Is it just getting really good at sprinting into the space right in front of the attacker? Thanks for the tips guys, the corner stuff really helped me last time around.

Timing is everything. Like you said, you have to see which runs your opponent is making and use your defender to get into that space before the pass can be made. That way you can try and intercept and defuse a ton of dangerous situations.
You can use the teammate contain to keep one of your teammates close to the opponent that has the ball, while you manually let your defender run into the space where you think the opponent will pass.

But I actually came in here to ask for advice myself. I only picked up this game a couple of weeks ago and I've only played seasons so far. My record right now is 26-7-18. Not actually good. So, are there any tutorial videos that you guys recommend? There are a ton of them on YouTube, but most of them have to do with FUT and pack openings etc...

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

shut up blegum posted:

Timing is everything. Like you said, you have to see which runs your opponent is making and use your defender to get into that space before the pass can be made. That way you can try and intercept and defuse a ton of dangerous situations.
You can use the teammate contain to keep one of your teammates close to the opponent that has the ball, while you manually let your defender run into the space where you think the opponent will pass.

But I actually came in here to ask for advice myself. I only picked up this game a couple of weeks ago and I've only played seasons so far. My record right now is 26-7-18. Not actually good. So, are there any tutorial videos that you guys recommend? There are a ton of them on YouTube, but most of them have to do with FUT and pack openings etc...

I've linked him before, but Boraslegend for my money has some of the best tutorials, and he's an excellent player:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVbbBU5jBZM

His newest tutorial video is about 1v1 defending

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I've not been playing much fifa recently. 5 wins the past three weekend leagues then stopping basically but TOTS Dendoncker is the best value for money purchase in game atm. I built a Belgium squad thats playing really well around him TOTS Tielemans and POTY Odjidja-Ofoe. Check him out for sure as a super sub at least. He has the 11th highest overall stats IG of any player and is 50k.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Mannnnnnnnnnn, I got elite again which is dope, but I had 3 games left so I thought why not see what happens.

I won the first two easily, and the 3rd game was looking great, had loads of chances, was leading 1-0. I give away a silly penalty right before half time, and then fail to convert any chances in the 2nd half despite basically dominating the game, and he sneaks one in in the 90th minute + a million of stoppage time.

So I finished at 31 wins, 1 win shy of elite 2, which isn't a huge deal since it's just some coins and an extra 100k pack I think, but it would have been nice as a milestone. I went 9-1 today, just crushed everyone basically.

e: still, extremely happy with 31-9. Pretty good weekend all around. I wound up picking up Mbappe who has been pretty drat good. Hopefully I can get insanely lucky and pack a big boy from my La Liga pack and pick up TOTS Lacazette or something silly.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Man I went 20-17 and then got owned 3 times in a row to miss out on Gold 2. That being said it's still my 2nd best result in weekend league and I was promoted to div 1 again so it was a good week all in all.

It's taking all my patience not to open my banked packs but I'm not planning on using a La Liga squad anytime soon. Maybe next year.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Is FUTbin's my club feature down for anyone else? I'm getting a 404 on it.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

They changed up the market to return captchas if you search too often (pretty much at all lol) so that might have thrown it off.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Jonathan Fisk posted:

They changed up the market to return captchas if you search too often (pretty much at all lol) so that might have thrown it off.

Well, whatever they've done to it, it's still not back. I need my PGP fix you guys :f5:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

lmao at this Nainggolan

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
That Koulibaly though....

Gentle reminder that he's 6'4 in game and already absurdly good.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So I have IF cards for all 3 of those guys, does that portend anything good/bad?

Also I think Lucas Torreira's 87 card is a good one especially for the price.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

bewbies posted:

So I have IF cards for all 3 of those guys, does that portend anything good/bad?

Also I think Lucas Torreira's 87 card is a good one especially for the price.

their prices will probably rise within like half a day of the TOTS being released because people will underestimate again how expensive the top tier tots players will be.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Jonathan Fisk posted:

lmao at this Nainggolan

Saved 16 packs for this one and am gonna upgrade all my unused golds for this in the hopes that I get some good poo poo.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

No RB and I waited on TOTY Alves. FFS

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Edit: Wrong thread, sorry

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Been taking a break from fifa but I gave the DKT one shot today. I Absolutely stormed it with a Serie A + TOTS Acuna and Benedetto Squad with IF Banega behind. I'm a big fan of the players I picked up. IF Benedetto is one of the first IFs I bought and he was far and away the most effective IF I bought early on. His tots is great, 5* WF and finesse shot trait is the dream combo. TOTS Acuna really blew me away though. I had his IF and it was ok but quite average. His tots is like one of three players I've used all year where you can dribble with pace directly at the backline. On top of that his crosses are absolutely pinpoint and his positioning for them is perfect. In the past 6 games I've used the team he's popped up with one cross assist at a minimum in each game including all the DKT games. I probably average about one every six games otherwise. Acuna is so good it's unreal. 99 longshots, shot power, crossing, agility, balance and stamina with high strength and aggression to boot. I've found my second "expensive team" by accident, the duo is immense.

Nacho seems good but I don't really have a use for him at the moment.

some clips

One way to score a chip

Nothing crazy but I was a fan of this assist from Benedetto

This was from awhile back when I was messing with the Okocha Sombrero. It looks useless in the clip but it actually made thiago pass the ball in the air over the defenders foot. It's a fun move but nothing I'd reccomend putting in your arsenal unless a player has 99 volleys or you want to mess with your opponent a bit. It's best to hit it off a fake shot stop.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Jonathan Fisk posted:

lmao at this Nainggolan
These cards are loving insane.

In other news, I am in love with my TOTS Modeste :swoon:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

TOTS Grifo has been a solid replacement for 2IF-Calhanoglu,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG2HZkJV3D8&t=31s
i love that my opponent moved the wall moved out of the way for me

also TOTS Fabian & TOTS Modeste are fun as hell,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJwYfqL4zKo&t=23s

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Three serie A upgrades... Walk out.... Argentine flag........................... Biglia. I'll take it but the Argentine walk out is definitely deceptive right now. There are 6 argentines in the tots and one of them is Fazio who is trash.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I picked up Perez and the p name RB for super cheap and no complaints so far!

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

So I gave away a couple games once I hit 18

Without fail my opponent dabbed every time I scored the OG

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Finished 21-16 this week. Went on a 1-7 losing streak at one point that was quite unnecessary so still happy with pulling out gold 2 but could have been a lot better obviously.

Thanks to all again for the tips and the YouTube links they've definitely helped.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Is it just me or does this week's DKO reward not seem that impressive. A 2 star weak foot on a winger seems very hampering

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

He missed a few gimmes for me, but as a dribbler/passer seems to pass muster. Probably better as RM than W/F

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

If yall are in need of a super sub for the WL peep this guy with a Hawk on him:

https://www.futbin.com/17/player/18824/fallata

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Im pickign up a PS4 next week, are most of you on PS4?

also, I think im just going to pick up FIFA 17 despite 18 being out soonish cause the Fifa i STILL play is Fifa 14 on 360 so it'll be a major upgrade for me anyway....

since i haven't played a new fifa for so long how is this ones engine? Like through balls in 14 work really well for me...what are the OP formations and stuff to use or avoid? I mostly play career mode so im not even sure what the gently caress all that card poo poo is or what TOTs or UT or FUT or SBC is or how to play them.....

i dont know what any of that poo poo is....im sad its not in the op

is there any bullshit like driven passes being weird like how FIFA 16 was on 360 or the players being slow and sluggish with pace being nerfed and you couldn't run breaks like at all? any quirks to be aware of?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I'm playing through career mode and have unlocked a few traits through accomplishments, but if I go to my player bio it says he has no traits. Do I select them somewhere?

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Waroduce posted:

also, I think im just going to pick up FIFA 17 despite 18 being out soonish cause the Fifa i STILL play is Fifa 14 on 360 so it'll be a major upgrade for me anyway....

since i haven't played a new fifa for so long how is this ones engine? Like through balls in 14 work really well for me...what are the OP formations and stuff to use or avoid? I mostly play career mode so im not even sure what the gently caress all that card poo poo is or what TOTs or UT or FUT or SBC is or how to play them.....

is there any bullshit like driven passes being weird like how FIFA 16 was on 360 or the players being slow and sluggish with pace being nerfed and you couldn't run breaks like at all? any quirks to be aware of?

I'm on PS4. The formation most used is the 4-3-2-1 I think. Personally I prefer the 4-3-3 (4) when playing conservatively and switch to the 4-3-2-1 when I have to break down a particularly stodgy opponent as it shortens the passing distance and therefore allows you to move the ball around more quickly.

All the acronyms refer to stuff that's related to FUT or Fifa Ultimate Team. Personally I didn't really play that game mode until February this year and am now fully addicted. It lets you build your own club using trading cards. Most of the other acronyms used in relation to FUT refer to different versions of the same player. All the players get a vanilla version and then as the season progresses they might get upgrades or special versions which are more desirable because they tend to have way better stats. If you want to know more we could tell you but not sure if you're interested.

I'm not sure how this compares to fifa 16 as I didn't play that one but pace is definitely one of the most important stats for your players, if not the most important one. However to get your players to run breaks you have to use some pretty astute passing and player instructions. I personally find it easier to create chances by moving the ball around until a gap appears in the opposition defence and then exploiting that.

Having said that there are far better players than me in this thread so they might have better advice. Also they provided me earlier with some YouTube stuff that helped but that was months ago and I can't remember what the guy was called...

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Waroduce posted:

If you haven't picked it up yet I'd just advise waiting. This is the first FIFA i've ever played, but I can't imagine players being accustomed to this poor a gameplay standard. And I say that as someone who picked up every mid-aughts NHL that EA shat out

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Gonna toss sigurdsson and rudy into the sbc. Also I lucked my way into profit, I have so many discard tots in my club.

Marquinos is tremendous, nacho very good, callejon decent and the best Spanish rw, pulisic is American and pulisic so I'm keeping all of them.

Anyone do sbc on the companion app? I don't have it

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Jonathan Fisk posted:

If you haven't picked it up yet I'd just advise waiting. This is the first FIFA i've ever played, but I can't imagine players being accustomed to this poor a gameplay standard. And I say that as someone who picked up every mid-aughts NHL that EA shat out

Not sure what you mean, 17 is my favorite gameplay-wise in forever

I do think passing is too easy though

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

A lot of it comes down to inconsistency. Ideally the same input in the same situation from the same player should yield the same result but it's really a roulette as to whether that 90 ball control player is going to bungle a turn and send the ball flying off ten yards or auto meg the defender who's properly positioned and timed the tackle well

Beyond that design choices really highlight what issues must have been in past editions like an obvious band aid slapped on. I can't imagine how badly pace was being abused to justify "jockeying"

Similarly near post shots must have been broken as hell because the level to which the keeper overcommits and gets owned far post is ridiculous.

Add that to the little things like tactics and instructions getting outright ignored, sluggish auto-animations on players you're currently controlling , etc, and it's kinda unsatisfying!

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
After first posting here about two months ago, I had a pretty good time getting into FUT and building a Bundesliga squad with whatever I could afford. I breezed through divisions 10 to 7 and managed to sort of bumble through div 6 as well. Then I embarked on a massive losing streak of maybe 10-15 games in a row and have now dropped to div 7 again, where I’m currently 1-0-2. Strangely, I feel like going up players were getting better much more slowly than they are getting worse on the way down.

I feel okay about my scoring ability inside the box (abusing the low driven shot a bit) and in mid range using my strikers. However, with better opponents I struggle so much to get my strikers into place. Defensively, I just suck, but I’m working on that.

Here’s what I’m running now and below the setup I used in my initial "successful phase“. I set the strikers to ‚get in behind‘ and the fullbacks to ‚stay behind while attacking‘. I’d really appreciate any feedback on players, formation and tactics.

Current: https://www.easports.com/fifa/ultimate-team/web-app/show-off?showoffId=kfaijTuanMDRp:FFA17PS4

Previous: https://www.easports.com/fifa/ultimate-team/web-app/show-off?showoffId=fsT6TZnQnMDRk:FFA17PS4

Used to have Gomez in place of SIF Werner, but recently sold him for a decent profit. Have about 30k in coins lying around right now.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Serendipitaet posted:

After first posting here about two months ago, I had a pretty good time getting into FUT and building a Bundesliga squad with whatever I could afford. I breezed through divisions 10 to 7 and managed to sort of bumble through div 6 as well. Then I embarked on a massive losing streak of maybe 10-15 games in a row and have now dropped to div 7 again, where I’m currently 1-0-2. Strangely, I feel like going up players were getting better much more slowly than they are getting worse on the way down.

I feel okay about my scoring ability inside the box (abusing the low driven shot a bit) and in mid range using my strikers. However, with better opponents I struggle so much to get my strikers into place. Defensively, I just suck, but I’m working on that.

Here’s what I’m running now and below the setup I used in my initial "successful phase“. I set the strikers to ‚get in behind‘ and the fullbacks to ‚stay behind while attacking‘. I’d really appreciate any feedback on players, formation and tactics.

Current: https://www.easports.com/fifa/ultimate-team/web-app/show-off?showoffId=kfaijTuanMDRp:FFA17PS4

Previous: https://www.easports.com/fifa/ultimate-team/web-app/show-off?showoffId=fsT6TZnQnMDRk:FFA17PS4

Used to have Gomez in place of SIF Werner, but recently sold him for a decent profit. Have about 30k in coins lying around right now.

I would definitely, definitely switch to the 41212 (2) (the narrow version). I'd also look into finding a left footed striker to play on the left side alongside Auba, Dembele's OTW or IF (whichever is cheapest) on 7 chem at RF is a solid bet, he's a great player and 5star/5star so that's a big plus.

I'd pick up Keita (one of his informs if you can afford them) for one of your midfield slots, Castro was never particularly good for me, but there's plenty of great cheap versatile CMs in the league, Renato Sanchez, Junozovic, a bunch more.

Something like this maybe, a bit out of your pricerange still but you can roll with some other midfielder instead of Stindl: https://www.futbin.com/17/squad/4783833

Also, if that Aubamayeng is tradeable I would absolutely sell him and use that money to build a much better team all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Are there any thoughts on 5-2-2-1? I played a few games with this setup and did fairly well.

https://www.easports.com/fifa/ultimate-team/web-app/show-off?showoffId=dRwS42nds2o:FFA17XBO

Also I spent like 100k on SBCs yesterday to get two tradeable TOTS cards, both were 87s, one from Korea, one from...somewhere I didn't even recognize. Stupid game.

• Locked thread