Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

Ghost training finally declared an exploit. https://community.eveonline.com/news/news-channels/eve-online-news/exploit-notification-ghost-training/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Everything I see about W-Space makes it sound like a daily time investment, but very fun, is that accurate? I know there's a goon w-space group, do they have stuff written about what it's like that I could look over?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

jesus gently caress finally.

the wording is also nicely ambiguous about time covered, in a way that would make me extremely nervous about cashing out if I had a ghost farm.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Klyith posted:

jesus gently caress finally.

the wording is also nicely ambiguous about time covered, in a way that would make me extremely nervous about cashing out if I had a ghost farm.

It's :ccp:. I'd be nervous if I had a non-ghost training farm. What are the odds that sufficient care will be taken to allow them to make the distinction?

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Maneck posted:

It's :ccp:. I'd be nervous if I had a non-ghost training farm. What are the odds that sufficient care will be taken to allow them to make the distinction?

I'd be generally worried if your sub lapsed at all since alpha clones came out

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

big parcheesi player posted:

I'd be generally worried if your sub lapsed at all since alpha clones came out

Yeah I had a few side project alts that i ran out of funds to continue at the time that completed their few months of training, while I wouldn't mind so much them being rolled back, I'd be rather pissed if the ban hammer got swung

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

yeah ideally they find some elegant way to roll back any ghost training done, and if you used extractors at any point off of ghost training SP then lol rip u

negwallets for minor abuses, bans for the egregious cases

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Chakan posted:

Everything I see about W-Space makes it sound like a daily time investment, but very fun, is that accurate? I know there's a goon w-space group, do they have stuff written about what it's like that I could look over?

W-space is fun if you're more interested in small gang raider style gameplay, including PvE. While most PvE content can be run solo, usually people will run in groups to make it go faster and safer (usually via alts on the holes watching for them to flash). Working solo in PVP is entirely possible, and in lower class space you can pick off explorers running k-space sites.

As for the time investment? There's one critical thing that everyone in a w-space group has to do: scout. If you're meh with probe scanning skills, both with the scanning skillbooks and the use of the UI, you need to improve both if you want to live in w-space. Scanning the chain is the lifeblood of w-space. A well built chain can provide multiple avenues for content, but a tiny chain is worthless.

There are no stations outside of Thera. This is no local. There is only d-scan to tell you if you're not alone, and even then, you never know if there's a recon or cloaked ship that's in your system. There's always a cloaked proteus behind you, just so you know.

And it's the best area in Eve you ask me :v:

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!
short of a massive multi-month rollback the ghost training cat is out of the bag

you can negwallet and ban people but the skillpoints are spread out among all the people they were sold to, who didn't do anything wrong

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

yeah ideally they find some elegant way to roll back any ghost training done, and if you used extractors at any point off of ghost training SP then lol rip u

negwallets for minor abuses, bans for the egregious cases

Fingers crossed but this is :ccp:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Fix Lag posted:

short of a massive multi-month rollback the ghost training cat is out of the bag

you can negwallet and ban people but the skillpoints are spread out among all the people they were sold to, who didn't do anything wrong

Yeah, punishing the long tail here isn't wise. Or practical.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

dragonshardz posted:

I was more specifically talking about CO2 but you're not wrong - a healthy EVE is one where there's always a war somewhere.

They should let player alliances to fight CONCORD and capture soverign space from the NPC empires. Also destroy and build new jump gates.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
I expect bans to be handed out for the more egregious abuses, like ironbank.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, punishing the long tail here isn't wise. Or practical.

So you're saying you think they'll try to do so?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ynglaur posted:

So you're saying you think they'll try to do so?

Reset the server, put everyone back to 0 Isk and 0 Skills. Let it be the wild west again.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

lucifirius posted:

How did the "greed is good" newsletter get leaked anyhow?

actually yeah how'd this happen, the newsletter looks like it had more work put into it than the game

are they still doing this poo poo???

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah CCP, i'm going to clear out my training queue before allowing my omega account to expire due to me getting bored with your oval office game. Nope

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

R-Type posted:

Yeah CCP, i'm going to clear out my training queue before allowing my omega account to expire due to me getting bored with your oval office game. Nope

they're not expecting you to do that

they intend to change the game to make it impossible

we'll see if they stick the landing though

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I rather doubt that anyone with a single-digit # of accounts that ghost trained have any negative consequences (or even SP rollback). Doing that automatically would be more difficult than the script to stop ghost training in the first place, which they showed themselves incapable of.

Fix Lag posted:

Yeah. Though I really don't see where it's a problem that a bunch of cheap SP came to the market. If some other dude paid for all his SP, does it really matter to me whether he paid $200 or $150? I don't think it makes the game meaningless...

The real trouble is that if someone controls a whole bunch of accounts with ghost SP, they have a lot of power to gently caress with markets even if they get banned for it. Whoever it is that controls the 1100 QATEST64BIT characters, can probably wipe between 20% and 40% of the PLEX from market just as a "gently caress you CCP".

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
"Couldn't you have just stopped the use of extractors/injectors on alpha accounts weeks ago?"

"Hurr durr huuuurrrr duuuuurrrr" - :ccp:

It took a dude farming hundreds of concord ships and Reddit having a poo poo attack for them to get up off their asses. :cripes:

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Looks like they're going to punish for any abuse, even retroactively.

"You're right, the wording is a bit vague/misleading. To clarify: We are going after past abusers.

While all exploit abuse is bad, we consider any abuse of a publicly declared exploit to be even worse. That's the distinction we were trying to make in the notification. It doesn't mean that we're going to let abuse predating the announcement slide. I apologize for the confusion.

I want to take the opportunity to urge anyone who intentionally abused this issue to come forward by submitting a support ticket.

I also want to make it clear that our objective is to go after those who intentionally abused this exploit.

You have nothing to worry about if you just happened to benefit from this exploit on accident because your account lapsed for a few days. There is a pretty clear distinction between this and a skillpoint farm that's been set up to benefit from this issue."

Bye bye Globby. :smug:

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.

lucifirius posted:

I want to take the opportunity to urge anyone who intentionally abused this issue to come forward by submitting a support ticket.

Read as, "We here at your friendly police department would like the people who robbed that bank at gunpoint while we were eating doughnuts across the street, please come stop by the precinct and identify yourselves. Thank you for your help."

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

big parcheesi player posted:

Read as, "We here at your friendly police department would like the people who robbed that bank at gunpoint while we were eating doughnuts across the street, please come stop by the precinct and identify yourselves. Thank you for your help."

eh ccp has always been more lenient if you turn yourself in

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

lucifirius posted:

obviously you only read reddit and not somethingawful dot com

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lucifirius posted:

Looks like they're going to punish for any abuse, even retroactively.

"You're right, the wording is a bit vague/misleading. To clarify: We are going after past abusers.

While all exploit abuse is bad, we consider any abuse of a publicly declared exploit to be even worse. That's the distinction we were trying to make in the notification. It doesn't mean that we're going to let abuse predating the announcement slide. I apologize for the confusion.

I also want to make it clear that our objective is to go after those who intentionally abused this exploit.

You have nothing to worry about if you just happened to benefit from this exploit on accident because your account lapsed for a few days. There is a pretty clear distinction between this and a skillpoint farm that's been set up to benefit from this issue."

Why are they calling it an "exploit" now? It was an intentional feature when I started playing 8 years ago. An incentive for people to return to the game after a long absence. I mean, if they wanted it to stop it would be very simple. Put a piece of code into the algorithm that activates when an account goes from Omega to Alpha that clears out the training queue. It would be like one line of code.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I have no idea how CCP Falcon has a job

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!

Reverand maynard posted:

I have no idea how CCP Falcon has a job

:)

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

:)

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer
i thought all of reddit.html cancelled their subs in a self congratulatory huff over the last week, so idk why they care

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rutibex posted:

Why are they calling it an "exploit" now? It was an intentional feature when I started playing 8 years ago. An incentive for people to return to the game after a long absence.
Ghost training while unsubbed was gone for years and years, since at least 2010. They changed it so that you got a couple days training after the sub lapsed then stop. Whatever they did with account management in the F2P transition, they didn't cover an omega-alpha transition correctly.

Rutibex posted:

I mean, if they wanted it to stop it would be very simple. Put a piece of code into the algorithm that activates when an account goes from Omega to Alpha that clears out the training queue. It would be like one line of code.
Boy I wish I had the ability to fix code that I've never seen before and in systems I have no clue how they are structured. You must get paid a ton of money for that.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah the fact that they didn't get fix ghost training months ago indicates that the fix is not so simple.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Reverand maynard posted:

I have no idea how CCP [insert name here] has a job

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

nex posted:

i thought all of reddit.html cancelled their subs in a self congratulatory huff over the last week, so idk why they care

I saw Doom make a hurf blurf on /r/Crowfall, all self-masturbatory like. Hopefully people follow through with their quitting, otherwise they're just attention whores.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

lucifirius posted:

Hopefully people follow through with their quitting

about 8% of the playerbase quits every month, so i think they are

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pakled posted:

Yeah the fact that they didn't get fix ghost training months ago indicates that the fix is not so simple.

Or that they didn't want to fix it.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

Or that they didn't want to fix it.

It's :ccp: we're talking about, i'd place my bets on incompetence rather than malice.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Pakled posted:

i'm putting nonzero amount of chance on them just plain not knowing, or underestimating how long you could ghost train for initially then dismissing it

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Klyith posted:

Boy I wish I had the ability to fix code that I've never seen before and in systems I have no clue how they are structured. You must get paid a ton of money for that.

Don't hold it against him. He's probably a project manager or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Xolve posted:

This works, for about a week.

Most people are willing to get farmed for a week, then they realize, 'well- they can't really do anything, so gently caress 'em'. No more 'content'.

I was making a subtle reference to NC. and dingleberries thereof dropping poo poo in Gehi and getting various explosions courtesy of the Imperium.

Chakan posted:

Yes we do, you should join Hole Squad because we're are on that real poo poo. W-space is the most self-directed space in EVE, if you don't get on and scan you'll have nothing to do. If you have access to the Goonfleet dotte com forums you can read over the Hole Squad recruitment thread.

Rutibex posted:

They should let player alliances to fight CONCORD and capture soverign space from the NPC empires. Also destroy and build new jump gates.

I doubt CCP is ever going to do anything that lets players gently caress with NPCs owning lowsec, much less highsec. As for player-built stargates...they're presumably in the roadmap or whatever, since CCP is going to Eventually(tm) shoot all POSes in the head once there are new Upwell structures which replicate the functionality.

Rutibex posted:

Why are they calling it an "exploit" now? It was an intentional feature when I started playing 8 years ago. An incentive for people to return to the game after a long absence. I mean, if they wanted it to stop it would be very simple. Put a piece of code into the algorithm that activates when an account goes from Omega to Alpha that clears out the training queue. It would be like one line of code.

Ghost training is not the same thing as training while logged off. Former is a new/old bug introduced when CCP changed the trial from time to skill progression limited, which allows people to train non-F2P skills while unsubbed. Latter is exactly what it says on the tin.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 16, 2017

• Locked thread