Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
ok but why the gently caress is 3v3 elimination gone

they just? added new maps for it?? this last event which just ended?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexal
Sep 7, 2011
It isn't? I'm looking right at it. CTF was what got removed.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

3v3 is still there, it's the top middle option in the Arcade. And 6v6 elimination uses the same maps.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Just saw someone stacking nanoboost + supercharge + mercy boost for the first time. Kind of excessive, but holy poo poo they melted people so fast.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Supercharge and Mercy attack boost don't stack, unless they have fixed that bug

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

one time i went into a TF2 server and it had furry mods running and no one was shooting it was bad and made me leave instantly

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Starsfan posted:

cool. I'll definitely look you and World Famous W up again.

I usually send an invite to join up with whoever I see when I log in. It's the sort of thing that I know is going to be pretty hit or miss though, so I guess I'll just cross my fingers that we can line it up some day :)

Sure thing, man. Even if I'm playing another gsme or watching Netflix, send me an invite. It might be my wife sometimes, but it's usually me.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

Doesn't sound like a bug.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

turtlecrunch posted:

They definitely do stack.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
There's a hard cap on boost stacking. I think it stops at +60%.

As far as I know, there's no diminishing returns on shooting a target debuffed by Zen while your damage is boosted. This means you have a situational handicap when rolling with Ana, Mercy and Orisa at once, but pretty much nothing negative happens if Zen takes the place of Mercy or Ana. It's a weird inconsistency.

I'm in favour of removing the hard cap. Why punish people for cooperating?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

No Wave posted:

New arcade game mode, 6v6 lockout elimination, first to 3 wins. It is awesome.

I was hoping it'd be first to 4 wins, since that requires winning as every class, and won't work after another character is introduced.

Oh well. I'll still try it out.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Donnerberg posted:

There's a hard cap on boost stacking. I think it stops at +60%.

As far as I know, there's no diminishing returns on shooting a target debuffed by Zen while your damage is boosted. This means you have a situational handicap when rolling with Ana, Mercy and Orisa at once, but pretty much nothing negative happens if Zen takes the place of Mercy or Ana. It's a weird inconsistency.

Because it leads to really dumb poo poo where you don't want anything except one person doing damage and 5 people boosting him, which is pretty poo poo gameplay imo. I like how it is now, where if you're boosting a dude it only takes 2 of you to max him out and the rest of the team is still doing things.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Damage boosts do stack, y'all. There is no cap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5fptZmGJKc

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jun 14, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Donnerberg posted:

the cap is for damage resistance and the reason is bastion had 85% dr with nanoboost before he got nerfed (not even d.va's ult could kill him, tho maybe it still can't idk). the cap is 70%

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Strange. I know for a fact I've seen patch notes that talked about capped boosts. Was it a PTR thing that never went live?

Manatee Cannon posted:

the cap is for damage resistance and the reason is bastion had 85% dr with nanoboost before he got nerfed (not even d.va's ult could kill him, tho maybe it still can't idk). the cap is 70%

Okay, thanks. My memory is more poo poo than I thought.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Heh, you're right. I'm remembering it from the PTR bastion thing. Wasn't there also a thing about mercys all damage boosting not stacking?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20755036659
Supercharger not stacking with Mercy is still listed as a known issue under hero bugs, but there are some other listings that I think are fixed (Supercharger/payload interaction?)

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 14, 2017

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Supercharger just sends mercy beams to everyone in los so I can see why it doesn't work together

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Supercharger just sends mercy beams to everyone in los so I can see why it doesn't work together
Know something, I thought Orisa's ult was her only piece of original kit that wasn't the poor man's version of someone else's. And when you put it like that, yeah its the mercy beam except it can't bend around things. Jesus Christ, Orisa.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

wit posted:

Know something, I thought Orisa's ult was her only piece of original kit that wasn't the poor man's version of someone else's. And when you put it like that, yeah its the mercy beam except it can't bend around things. Jesus Christ, Orisa.

Orisa is literally a junk robot cobbled together from spare parts.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

The cap was lowered to 50% when Orisa was released to stop Nanoboost stacking with Fortify.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The cap was lowered to 50% when Orisa was released to stop Nanoboost stacking with Fortify.

super ironic they were worried about orisa of all heroes being too difficult to kill

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Thought it was bastion in ult form + nanaboost being impossible to kill when damage reduction stacked?

I mean, Orisa's Fortify is an argument too, but lovely robot needs all the help she can get.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
If it was the old way, nano and fortify would have been damage immunity since the percentages were additive

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

If it was the old way, nano and fortify would have been damage immunity since the percentages were additive
Frankly, an invincible Orisa for the duration of nanoboost wouldn't actually be that overpowered. She just does so little damage that its hard to take her seriously except as a portable barrier dispenser who occasionally grows a few Mercy staves from her backpack.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If anything Orisa is annoying because those shields have a near 100% uptime now. Nobody will shoot the loving things.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea her barrier's really irritating. she also still sucks so I hope they revert that change and try something else to make her less garbage

Ravenfood posted:

Frankly, an invincible Orisa for the duration of nanoboost wouldn't actually be that overpowered. She just does so little damage that its hard to take her seriously except as a portable barrier dispenser who occasionally grows a few Mercy staves from her backpack.

nano on top of orisa's ult is 100% extra damage, which would give her 264 dps with 150 rounds. that'd be pretty stupid for something you literally can't kill until fortify runs out. can't even boop her off a cliff because fortify blocks that

being unkillable in general is bad anyway. it's just annoying to shoot something and have nothing happen. even with shields you can at least break or go around them

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Snazzy Frocks posted:

That's the thing though. They already tweaked the max DR percentage for bastion because he was also unkillable while in sentry/tank with nano boost, and then they made the DR percentage lower when Orisa came out because ???????

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I'm surprised to hear people say Orisa's damage can be ignored. I play at a pretty low skill level, but regularly have gold damage and elims with her on payload defense. Just track and lead the squishiest enemy and whoever happens to get in your way, gets in your way. Healers usually melt away. Roadhogs are so easy to hit they are lucky to get to cover before they go down. As long as she is focusing fire, she is contributing like a discount soldier.

Staying alive vs opponents that know how to approach her is a different story. You have to switch off if you are getting wrecked.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

gold damage doesn't mean anything. damage includes anything done to barriers and orisa can spam them for ages before needing to reload

gold elims doesn't mean anything. that counts any assist, and with orisa's damage being so low most of her kills are probably like ~10% damage assists at best

don't rely on medals to prove a point because they lie to you. d.va is similar to orisa in this instance because she can spam poo poo damage forever, racking up damage and participation trophies assist eliminations. that doesn't mean either the d.va or the orisa is actually helping do anything beyond padding their own stats

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The stats that seem to matter in the game are "deaths" and "last blows" (the old ways are the best). Deaths because it indicates what % of the game you were applying pressure to your opponents/the objective, last blows because removing your opponents matters. Everything else is a long joke on the people talking about them.

They still don't nearly tell the whole story of course, but if last blows is high and deaths is low you're probably doing good work as a dps.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 15, 2017

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Deaths is a very poor metric. If it's low you're probably playing too safe and not actually pushing in when you need to.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

gold damage doesn't mean anything. damage includes anything done to barriers and orisa can spam them for ages before needing to reload

gold elims doesn't mean anything. that counts any assist, and with orisa's damage being so low most of her kills are probably like ~10% damage assists at best

don't rely on medals to prove a point because they lie to you. d.va is similar to orisa in this instance because she can spam poo poo damage forever, racking up damage and participation trophies assist eliminations. that doesn't mean either the d.va or the orisa is actually helping do anything beyond padding their own stats

Shooting at barriers is a good thing and everyone should be doing it. Getting maximum kill participation is a good thing and everyone should be doing it. If Orisa is able just to max out just those two things that you play down, I'm cool with it.

I still don't get it though. In 3v3, she solo mows down Roadhogs so fast. You just need a fair amount of headshots. She'll kill a bastion before he kills her with a shield and fortify up. Maybe Im delusional.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Some correlation between deaths + healing done would be a good measure to quantify the effectiveness of a healer.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

not true anymore, damage to barriers is a separate stat now

....this might be on ptr that's coming next week i forget

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice
All the metrics are pretty bad if you sort by them on masteroverwatch's leaderboards

K/D is one of the worst for average rating: https://masteroverwatch.com/leaderboards/pc/global/mode/ranked/category/kd likely because hiding and staying alive doesn't help you win pushes. Even something like elims/min or fire/min only shows you mostly average players. There's no real way to measure "how well you win vs skilled opponents" besides MMR. It just requires 50 matches or so to get there, and then another 100 for your grinding display MMR to adjust.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Yeah damage to barriers is its own stat on the PTR and should get pushed to live on the 20th.

Orisa's damage is okay but she lacks any real threatening presence on her own aside from Halting people off the map. That's her main problem, I think.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

novaSphere posted:

Yeah damage to barriers is its own stat on the PTR and should get pushed to live on the 20th.

Orisa's damage is okay but she lacks any real threatening presence on her own aside from Halting people off the map. That's her main problem, I think.

I also find that halt is an extremely clunky and unsatisfying ability to use, personally. In terms of crowd control it rarely seems to do much more than mildly inconvenience people and the "tethers" don't have a lot of leeway to them which means it's very easy to miss an opportunity to snag someone and wind up detonating it uselessly. I've had one (1) moment playing Orisa where I did the cool thing where someone ran behind a corner and I halted them back to kill them but pretty much every other time I've played her there's been very little point to dragging people around. If I want to knock someone off high ground it's way easier and frankly more satisfying to go D.Va or Winston and knock them off by diving onto them.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

novaSphere posted:

Orisa feels like an extension of Rein in that shields are hard to balance around and they're not much fun to play as, with or against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's pretty indicative of something that Blizzard looked at Orisa and looked at the game as a whole and decided "you know what this character needs, less damage and more barrier uptime."