Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Noctone posted:

Oh wow a suburb of Baton Rouge is significantly cheaper to live in than San Francisco, do you have any other hard-hitting news for us?

I was just pointing out the absolutely huge differential. That there is a difference isn't shocking but a 300% difference is notable. And Baton Rouge is even cheaper to live in than Gonzales.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I'm going to create a go fund me for us to all buy Tae an Ian Sjumpert jersey.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I think Jerry West going to the Clippers gives them slightly more of a chance to land LeBron. (from 5% to 25%) It's hard to imagine players giving up large sums of money but Super Team guys gain the ability to get more sponsors. I hope this is an interesting offseason.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I like Tae's basketball posts, but I love Tae's player name aphasia

plus "Is Ian Sjumpert the worst" was an accidental post in the G/V instead of the GDT

Spacebump posted:

I think Jerry West going to the Clippers gives them slightly more of a chance to land LeBron. (from 5% to 25%) It's hard to imagine players giving up large sums of money but Super Team guys gain the ability to get more sponsors. I hope this is an interesting offseason.

But Woj reporting the move drops it down to like -25%. LeBron might decide not to go there simply to spite Woj's reporting

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 15, 2017

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Ghost Dog posted:

make a markov bot mod, feed it taes posts, have it change the thread title every 2 weeks tia

I can say from experience that this could already be happening and no one in the thread would notice

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Zogo posted:

LBJ is still underrated and underappreciated. Consider how much coasting the Cavaliers did in the regular season. Yea, these superteams would win against CLE in the regular season but LBJ will dismantle some team with a "good center" along with IT/Butler.

The notion that one can throw a bunch of guys with good numbers together and defeat LBJ in the playoffs. It isn't true. The 2017 finals was good evidence of that considering two elite MVPs (unlike anything found in the EC) were still threatened by LBJ. The 2004 Olympics was also excellent evidence to the same end.

:911: forget that 49 point quarter.

It's interesting seeing the canonization of Lebron James in real time. Suddenly he's this Jordanesque mythic figure, who loses on purpose, his bad teams are secretly good, never struggles or loses in the playoffs unless faced with a miraculous super team, and so on. He struggled, with better teams by far than this Cavs team, against the Paul George/Roy Hibbert Pacers and the Big 3 Celtics at a stage when they were actually visibly decaying into animated skeletons on the court. He lost to a Dallas team no one gave a shot to, but in retrospect they were either really good and we all knew that or they only won because Lebron tricked himself into losing by being the bad guy but his love of justice is so great he can't let villains win???

I have no idea what you're talking about with the Olympics, Lebron got bronze that year because he had a dumb coach and bad roster composition, I don't know how that supports the notion that putting together a good team won't beat the Cavs?

I mean look, the Celtics are not getting Hayward and Butler, so we'll never know. I don't actually think the Cavs were coasting in the regular season. In the playoffs they were the same thing they were in the regular season: a really good offensive team (but moreso!) that sucked on defense (also even moreso!) and was gently brushed aside by the first legit team they played, a team that never looked like they were being pushed and seemed to find the Cavs' game 4 hot streak kind of funny.

If Draymond could resist his lust for balls for just 48 game minutes, Lebron would be on a four year finals losing streak without having to play a single team with a 5+ SRS before getting there.

ex post facho posted:

i watched a single game from start to finish, watched 5 minutes of game 3, and didn't watch any other playoff basketball, because the same thought i had at the beginning of the year, that it was pointless to try and compete with the warriors because no team could hope to beat them 4 out of 7 games held true, and rendered the entire 2016 season and playoffs irrelevant ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

the draft and rising stars game was more exciting than the playoffs this year

actually kinda makes me think about putting a large bet on the wars to win again next year depending on the vegas odds

We get it, you don't like or watch the NBA. Why do you keep posting about it?

Kibner posted:

I was just pointing out the absolutely huge differential. That there is a difference isn't shocking but a 300% difference is notable. And Baton Rouge is even cheaper to live in than Gonzales.

If you go work for Google in Pittsburgh instead of SF, house is less than 10% as expensive :pwn:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I'm late to the party but loving LOL at the idea that new york has a "perfect climate"

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I kind of hope whatever the Celtics do they leave the door open for the possibility of landing Durant next offseason assuming he does a 1yr extension this year. This is probably dumb but I don't care.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

DeimosRising posted:

If Draymond could resist his lust for balls for just 48 game minutes, Lebron would be on a four year finals losing streak without having to play a single team with a 5+ SRS before getting there.

this isnt to argue against your point, but the talk of playing low srs reminded me of something i looked up yesterday. Well really it reminded me of this: https://twitter.com/BruhReport/status/874822055723532288

which is hilarious and also made me look up the srs of the teams lebron and mj had played in the finals. The average srs of the teams lebron has faced is 8.201. The average srs that mj faced is 6.84. Mj didnt face a single team with as high of an srs as lebrons average.

Ghost Dog fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 15, 2017

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Paul Zuvella posted:

I'm late to the party but loving LOL at the idea that new york has a "perfect climate"

no one said that, learn to read

DeimosRising posted:

I mean look, the Celtics are not getting Hayward and Butler, so we'll never know.

are the rumors just to generate pageviews and maybe ensure Utah offers him his max? i dont know, im excited by the idea of boston actually making some moves, even though gently caress boston.

Ghost Dog posted:

this isnt to argue against your point, but the talk of playing low srs reminded me of something i looked up yesterday. Well really it reminded me of this: https://twitter.com/BruhReport/status/874822055723532288

haha this is awesome

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I kind of hope whatever the Celtics do they leave the door open for the possibility of landing Durant next offseason assuming he does a 1yr extension this year. This is probably dumb but I don't care.

Honestly, its probably a really good idea. Low probability of happening but him or Lebron are probably the only route to a championship in the next 3 years. I don't 100% believe that but its probably close enough to true.

If you get Hayward and plan on resigning IT you won't be able to afford Durant (unless you also offload Horford I guess). Marcus Smart is also supposed to get paid that offseason.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Ghost Dog posted:

which is hilarious and also made me look up the srs of the teams lebron and mj had played in the finals. The average srs of the teams lebron has faced is 8.201. The average srs that mj faced is 6.84. Mj didnt face a single team with as high of an srs as lebrons average.

The living embodiment of 💯

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Ghost Dog posted:

Magic Johnson didn't have AIDS when he retired :argh: He was HIV+, he didn't have AIDS. He was forced out because of the super hosed up (although understandable) stigma surrounding the disease at the time.

Same era a bunch of local Moms organized to have me kicked out of preschool because they figured every hemophiliac had AIDS like Ryan White (and for the most part we did thanks Bayer but still wtf I ain't never been HIV+ and even if I was I probably wasn't going to gently caress the other kids)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ghost Dog posted:

That's really funny but tbf to Jordan he had to play 6 5+ SRS teams in the East just to get to the Finals, including 2 years where he had to play 2 such teams in a row, and all his finals opponents were 6+. I don't think he played any teams in the same league as the 17 Warriors, certainly, or even the 15 Warriors and 14 Spurs, but then again Lebron lost to all those teams too. I think Lebron is a better player and perhaps the best ever, but that's not really the point. The point is he's not some transcendent superhuman who can't lose. He loses all the time. Against good teams, he loses more than he wins. Neither he nor Jordan had magic powers, and both lose when their supporting cast is weak. The Cavs are not a great team because they flat out play bad defense. Their supporting cast of vets is cooked. They need to clean house, but that's hard to do.

Superstars aren't always the best, It's a team Effort!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
God I can't wait to see what one-and-doners UofL will bring in over the next couple of years.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

DeimosRising posted:

That's really funny but tbf to Jordan he had to play 6 5+ SRS teams in the East just to get to the Finals, including 2 years where he had to play 2 such teams in a row, and all his finals opponents were 6+. I don't think he played any teams in the same league as the 17 Warriors, certainly, or even the 15 Warriors and 14 Spurs, but then again Lebron lost to all those teams too. I think Lebron is a better player and perhaps the best ever, but that's not really the point. The point is he's not some transcendent superhuman who can't lose. He loses all the time. Against good teams, he loses more than he wins. Neither he nor Jordan had magic powers, and both lose when their supporting cast is weak. The Cavs are not a great team because they flat out play bad defense. Their supporting cast of vets is cooked. They need to clean house, but that's hard to do.

Superstars aren't always the best, It's a team Effort!

I agree with most of that I just think its a funny number and a far funnier video. i may do my 5th grade level stats analysis and see what the average srs of the teams that knocked out lebron/mj is, considering mj had a lot more short playoff runs than lebron it may also be flattering. I didn't post the individual stuff but its fair to note lebron lost to the worst team(by srs) out of the whole lot, the 2011 mavs

E: all of jordans opponents werent 6+, the last jazz finals they were 5.73

Ghost Dog fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 15, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

EvanTH posted:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

You did it nick, you won the war. janus sjumberto is the worst and the whole world know it

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Femur posted:

why would you attack NOL seafood when sf has the same crap but 10x more expensive. those wharf prices were disgusting.

Hot Tip - Fisherman's Wharf has no purpose other than rooking tourists. SF is chock full of amazing food, but none of it is found at the Wharf, and people who live in SF literally never go to the Wharf ever, unless they are taking Grandma down to catch the ferry to Alcatraz (Alcatraz rocks - Alcatraz and the awesome Musee Mechanique (http://www.museemecaniquesf.com/) are the only reason ever to go near the Wharf).

I did this because I love lovely derails and please note that I didn't poo poo on any other cities while I fellated my own City.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/WhoadieBrees/status/875394535546908673

It has finally happened

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

kobe haircut for the mamba mentality

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Dog posted:

did this guy say that kobe lost to the pistons in 2004 and then lebron knocked them out in 2005? because the pistons went to the finals in 2005 and lost to the spurs. lebron didn't see the finals for two more years, and i'm pretty sure the 2007 pistons were nothing like the 2004-05 pistons

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
My mind now automatically changes Iman Shumpert to Ian Sjumpert. Memetic language spread is real, Metal Gear Solid was right

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Didn't he shave his head last offseason too?

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

predicto posted:

Musee Mechanique (http://www.museemecaniquesf.com/) are the only reason ever to go near the Wharf

That place rules. The WWII submarine right next to it is worth checking out too if you're into that sort of thing

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Ghost Dog posted:

That was an excellent rant, and had a lot of truth to it.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

In general, people treating making the finals and losing like it's somehow worse than not making the finals at all is maybe the most puzzling thing about sports ever.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
2011 Mavs had injury issues during the regular season that were mostly resolved by the end of the year (RIP Caron Butler). SRS is going to make them look way worse than that Finals team actually was.

Offhand, though, I don't remember if there are any Jordan opponents that would be in a similar bucket.

Paul Zuvella posted:

In general, people treating making the finals and losing like it's somehow worse than not making the finals at all is maybe the most puzzling thing about sports ever.

Yeah, completely agree.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

RaySmuckles posted:

did this guy say that kobe lost to the pistons in 2004 and then lebron knocked them out in 2005? because the pistons went to the finals in 2005 and lost to the spurs. lebron didn't see the finals for two more years, and i'm pretty sure the 2007 pistons were nothing like the 2004-05 pistons

And the Heat knocked out the Pistons in 2006.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/SLAMonline/status/875414940500230144

Have fun Knicks fans

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Thank you for the thread title, moderator.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

He'll happily take 20 mil/yr instead of the full 25 million.

Really, the least you can do for a super team.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Lockback posted:

2011 Mavs had injury issues during the regular season that were mostly resolved by the end of the year (RIP Caron Butler). SRS is going to make them look way worse than that Finals team actually was.

This. Caron was the #2 on the team until he got hurt. However, it moved Marion to the starting lineup and Marion played the best d in LeBron out of anyone in the Finals.

Ghost Dog posted:

imo Jordan played in a weaker era. Count how many hall of famers he went up against in the Finals vs how many future Hall of Famers LeBron went up against. Also, there were a ton of expansion teams. Jordan is still the GOAT shooting guard and it's hard to compare across eras. Really we should just label a small amount of players GOAT tier and understand it will never be settled.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Magic Johnson had a bunch more years of MVP-level play in him but now folks don't even remember how hosed up the HIV stigma was. Teams were saying they'd refuse to play against him and people were nodding like "yeah understandable". This kinda thing was happening everywhere:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRfIb5TpMmg
ADA wasn't even passed until 1990 so there was barely any legal recourse for a lot of that poo poo

Well he's going to take a paycut to play somewhere. No opinion until I know how steep the cut is.

thnks mods for new thread title

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 15, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Stockton/Malone Jazz were probably the best team Jordan faced

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

We get it, you don't like or watch the NBA. Why do you keep posting about it?

i used to be, back before i realized that maybe ~10% of the franchises in the league has an actual shot to win each year

kinda discouraging if you're not a fan of those teams

on a macro level it's still far better than the NFL or the MLB and fun to laugh at the insane decisions by front offices to try and become competitive again, but the fact that it is by far the least competitive pro sport (and more and more people are seeing that) really dampens my personal enthusiasm for it

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

I totally agree in the broad sense but I do think it's worth considering how hugely imbalanced the conferences have been when a significant chunk of Lebron's rep is going to the Finals a hundred billion times in a row. This is a weird arbitrary line but # of top-5 SRS teams in the East during Lebron's streak:

2017: 0
2016: 1 (Cavs)
2015: 1 (Hawks)
2014: 0
2013: 1 (Heat)
2012: 3 (Bulls, Heat, ...Sixers??)
2011: 3 (Heat, Bulls, Magic)

It's kind of an interesting hypothetical. Would his rep be higher or lower if he had spent the last seven years mostly sputtering out in the 2nd round/WCF, but won a couple of Finals over the Raptors or whoever in dominant fashion?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

TAE: With these names, I'll rid the world of infestation - Sans Lingua Franca. The world will be torn asunder and then, it shall be free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

RaySmuckles posted:

rip will blalock

• Locked thread