Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

TBeats posted:

My issue with corrected procedures, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that my vision is getting worse as I get older. I need a new prescription these days because my glasses aren't as sharp as they used to be.

If I get corrected surgery or lasik or whatever, will my vision get worse naturally over time like everyone else's, leaving me wearing glasses someday anyway? Or am I guaranteed fixed vision forever?
PRK can be redone if it needs to. The guy who did mine had a patient years ago who git Lasik, and later got in a car crash which rippee the flap up. They got the flap back in place, and then did PRK on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Mr. Nice! posted:

Vasectomies are similar. I had to get an extra injection of the local because I could still feel what he was doing on ball number 1. I also got to see and smell the smoke rising from my testicles when he cauterized everything. [ask] me about having a soldering iron inside my scrotum.

You sure have to take some extreme steps to get your rocks off after your Navy time, man

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

That PRK or LASIK? Going to get LASIK done next week because gently caress 20 years of glasses wearing.

PRK is wild because they also shave off your epithelial tissue while you're awake. It's very A Clockwork Orange.

TBeats posted:

My issue with corrected procedures, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that my vision is getting worse as I get older. I need a new prescription these days because my glasses aren't as sharp as they used to be.

If I get corrected surgery or lasik or whatever, will my vision get worse naturally over time like everyone else's, leaving me wearing glasses someday anyway? Or am I guaranteed fixed vision forever?

You will always need reading glasses, even with PRK or LASIK. The process that leads to needing reading glasses is the same one that leads to the graying of hair, and is separate from fixing nearsightedness.

I got PRK done when I was 23 and it was worth it. Best $4,000 I've ever spent.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
maybe I could afford it to be honest I haven't even gotten a quote because I just imagine this being the procedure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=burORQDUmPg&t=11s

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Vasectomies are similar. I had to get an extra injection of the local because I could still feel what he was doing on ball number 1. I also got to see and smell the smoke rising from my testicles when he cauterized everything. [ask] me about having a soldering iron inside my scrotum.

Did you get one of those deals where they go in and gently caress poo poo up for good, or where the procedure is reversible in the future?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

That PRK or LASIK? Going to get LASIK done next week because gently caress 20 years of glasses wearing.

I'm getting it done two weeks from tomorrow because yeah, gently caress glasses. During the consult I did ask them if I'd be able to smell burning eyeball.

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

i wish i could afford lasik or prk :(

I've been saving for two years. I don't want to have to carry prescription glasses and sunglasses around or worry about breaking my glasses when I'm out and have to drive a long ways home, etc.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I got a deal where I got interest free financing for two years. Payments came out to something like $175/mo, so it was pretty manageable.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

psydude posted:

I got a deal where I got interest free financing for two years. Payments came out to something like $175/mo, so it was pretty manageable.

oh hrm i never thought of taking a line of credit to do it

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Guys let's get off the PRK and get back on the DPRK

https://twitter.com/GMA/status/875430699318337537

Dad and doctors of that released American is saying it wasn't botulism that put him in a coma, but rather something NK did to his brain.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Mininuke in his brain??? ∆∆∆∆∆∆

I had LASIK and I could "see" fine like 2m after surgery. My eyes hurt quite a bit for like 3h afterwards but the Ativan they gave me put me to sleep and I woke up feeling a lot better. I was 90% like 3 days later. I'm a bit sensitive to light and dust but I work outside all day so that doesn't help. It was also $4500 but I took a small loan through the place I got it done at. Union will also cover $1000 of it.

I wore contacts every day for like 8 years and I'll never look back. If my prescription changes it's only a small fee to get it fixed.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
eye surgery a sore subject for BLIND Rasputin eH?????

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Good job Donnie, got Otto back. Next time maybe you can do it before the Norks pull a Dahmer on them.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

For the record I had LASIK and I can see fine now thanks.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

maybe I could afford it to be honest I haven't even gotten a quote because I just imagine this being the procedure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=burORQDUmPg&t=11s

I was diagnosed with macular degeneration in the eye and I was given two options. I could get a laser eye surgery, but have a chance of becoming color bling or even outright blind. The other option was watching out for infection... but they would have to inject some medicine directly into my eyeball.

Yes having a needle in your eye sucks as much as you thing.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

high five soldering iron to the vas deferens brother

that was the absolute worst time to open up to my eyes to check on how things were going

loving dr solder going to town on my daddy parts with the last of my reproductive ability climbing to the lights as smoke

i almost loving fainted

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Did you get one of those deals where they go in and gently caress poo poo up for good, or where the procedure is reversible in the future?

if youre getting your nuts disconnected you go full bridge out sign for your varsity swim team

if you want kids later on but not right now bag it and have your lady friend do stuff on her side too because getting fixed aint contraception and id hunt down dr solder with a loving sharpened screwdriver if i knocked up my special lady friend after going through what i went through

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Sexual Lorax posted:

high five soldering iron to the vas deferens brother

that was the absolute worst time to open up to my eyes to check on how things were going

loving dr solder going to town on my daddy parts with the last of my reproductive ability climbing to the lights as smoke

i almost loving fainted

if youre getting your nuts disconnected you go full bridge out sign for your varsity swim team

if you want kids later on but not right now bag it and have your lady friend do stuff on her side too because getting fixed aint contraception and id hunt down dr solder with a loving sharpened screwdriver if i knocked up my special lady friend after going through what i went through

This post sucks.

:gonk:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Friend of mine woke up during an intraocular lens transplant 10 years ago, is still mentally hosed up over it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Locked in syndrome is up there with being buried alive

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Sexual Lorax posted:

Or adopt a cool kid because there's a lot of kids that need homes.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

Or adopt a cool kid because there's a lot of kids that need homes.

truth

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Sorry for replying late but my god that kid is screwed. Calling out a non-existant threat - 2 years if you're lucky. Having the coast guard called out, ouch you're in serious trouble now.

Getting NEST called out while you're doing it, oh dear.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Hexyflexy posted:

Sorry for replying late but my god that kid is screwed. Calling out a non-existant threat - 2 years if you're lucky. Having the coast guard called out, ouch you're in serious trouble now.

Getting NEST called out while you're doing it, oh dear.

i know for a fact everyone in the USCG involved in this has a raging erection right now because prosecuting hoax callers is a rare thing for us.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ElMaligno posted:

i know for a fact everyone in the USCG involved in this has a raging erection right now because prosecuting hoax callers is a rare thing for us.

I assume this is everyone's dream after every malfunctioning distress beacon false alarm?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
https://www.navytimes.com/articles/surprise-cruiser-shiloh-sailor-presumed-overboard-and-dead-discovered-hiding-on-board

Shiloh sailor reported overboard now found hiding in engine room posted:

A sailor from the cruiser Shiloh whom Navy officials said fell overboard last week, triggering a massive search-and-rescue effort, has been discovered on board.

Presumed dead after going missing June 8, Gas Turbine Systems Technician (Mechanical) 3rd Class Peter Mims reportedly hid himself in one of the engine rooms, according to two sources familiar with the situation.

It is unclear how Mims survived a week in the engineering space or where he was hiding. He will be flown off Shiloh for evaluation soon.

https://www.rferl.org/a/the-mammoth-pirates/27939865.html

Every summer, men head into the Siberian wilderness to hunt for mammoth tusks, I joined one expedition & watched tuskers get rich, get drunk & nearly die. posted:

With the sale of elephant tusks under close scrutiny, “ethical ivory” from the extinct woolly mammoth is now feeding an insatiable market in China. This rush on mammoth ivory is luring a fresh breed of miner – the tusker – into the Russian wilderness and creating dollar millionaires in some of the poorest villages of Siberia.

On condition that he not reveal names or exact locations, RFE/RL photographer Amos Chapple gained exclusive access to one site where between bouts of vodka-fueled chaos and days spent evading police patrols, teams of men are using illegal new methods in the hunt for what remains of Siberia's lost giants.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/15/well/family/talking-to-boys-the-way-we-talk-to-girls.html

Talking to Boys the Way We Talk to Girls posted:

What’s more, a 2017 study led by Emory University researchers discovered, among other things, that fathers also sing and smile more to their daughters, and they use language that is more “analytical” and that acknowledges their sadness far more than they do with their sons. The words they use with sons are more focused on achievement — such as “win” and “proud.” Researchers believe that these discrepancies in fathers’ language may contribute to “the consistent findings that girls outperform boys in school achievement outcomes.”

After visits to the emergency room for accidental injuries, another study found, parents of both genders talk differently to sons than they do to daughters. They are nearly four times more likely to tell girls than boys to be more careful if undertaking the same activity again. The same study cited earlier research which found that parents of both genders used “directives” when teaching their 2- to 4-year-old sons how to climb down a playground pole but offered extensive “explanations” to daughters.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

ElMaligno posted:

Good.

This hoax is so far beyond the run of the mill swatting I couldn't see them letting this slide at all.

I wonder what the overall cost of this whole thing was? As in everything from asset deployment to lost business costs.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

hobbesmaster posted:

I assume this is everyone's dream after every malfunctioning distress beacon false alarm?

A false alarm and a hoax alarm are two completely different things.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Mr. Nice! posted:

*testies sizzling*

"ohp looks like theres a new pope"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ElMaligno posted:

I'm just imagining years of pent up annoyance finally finding an outlet.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Richard Bong posted:

Good.

This hoax is so far beyond the run of the mill swatting I couldn't see them letting this slide at all.

I wonder what the overall cost of this whole thing was? As in everything from asset deployment to lost business costs.

Ballpark, and this is a guess from my point of view but I think I'm roughly right, 10 mill or so.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

ElMaligno posted:

I got a rager right now and im on the other side of the country. gently caress that guy.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

Malice...important?!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I look forward to Discount Alex Jones and Discount Prison Planet serving time.

Also, Pence has officially lawyered up to deal with the special counsel investigation and "no taxpayer dollars will be used". Wonder what the much lower-paid staffers are thinking about now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m=.e5f2ae3fec4d

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

facialimpediment posted:

Also, Pence has officially lawyered up to deal with the special counsel investigation and "no taxpayer dollars will be used". Wonder what the much lower-paid staffers are thinking about now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m=.e5f2ae3fec4d

I'm sure that Reince has lawyered up, and that greasy poo poo Bannon probably has the entire Federalist Society on speed dial, but the rest of that crew aren't political vets and might be dumb enough to believe Trump's bullshit.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

This is why I let both my children choose their genders at age 3 using gender specific but culturally transcendent dolls after which they were allowed to change their names if they desired. Pixie is 5 now and she has also chosen to recieve one or two vaccinations which I am proud of her for doing

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Holy poo poo

quote:

From Russia With Blood

Lavish London mansions. A hand-painted Rolls-Royce. And eight dead friends. For the British fixer Scot Young, working for Vladimir Putin's most vocal critic meant stunning perks – but also constant danger. His gruesome death is one of 14 that US spy agencies have linked to Russia – but the UK police shut down every last case. A bombshell cache of documents today reveals the full story of a ring of death on British soil that the government has ignored.

A two-year investigation by BuzzFeed News has now uncovered explosive evidence pointing to Russia that the police overlooked. A massive trove of documents, phone records, and secret recordings shows Young was part of a circle of nine men, including the exiled oligarch Boris Berezovsky, who all died suspiciously on British soil after making powerful enemies in Russia. The files reveal that Young lived in the shadow of the Russian security services and mafia groups after fronting for Berezovsky – a sworn enemy of the state – in a series of deals that enraged the Kremlin, including the doomed Russian property deal known as Project Moscow. British police declared the deaths of all nine men in Berezovsky’s circle non-suspicious, but BuzzFeed News can now reveal that MI6, Britain’s secret intelligence service, asked its US counterparts for information about each one of them “in the context of assassinations”.

Earlier this week, we revealed that US spy agencies had handed the British government high-grade intelligence that the Russian whistleblower Alexander Perepilichnyy, who died in Surrey in 2012, was likely assassinated on the direct orders of the Kremlin – but the authorities sidelined that and other evidence pointing to murder, instead declaring that he had died of natural causes. Today, we can reveal that US intelligence officials suspect a further 13 people – including Berezovsky and eight members of his circle – have been assassinated on British soil by Russia’s security services or mafia groups, two forces that sometimes work in tandem.

That intelligence – based on human sources, intercepted communications, and public material gathered by US spy agencies – has been shared with Britain in relation to all 14 deaths. Yet British police have ruled out foul play in every last case.
Russian assassins have been able to kill in Britain with impunity over the past decade, 17 current and former British and American intelligence officials told BuzzFeed News. The reasons for Britain’s reticence, they said, include fear of retaliation, police incompetence, and a desire to preserve the billions of pounds of Russian money that pour into British banks and properties each year. As a result, Russia is making what one source called increasingly “bold moves” in the UK without fear of reprisals.

Read the whole thing, it's worth it.

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 15, 2017

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The only heroes in this thread are the physicians that decommissioned your baby makers

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Blind Rasputin posted:

This is why I let both my children choose their genders at age 3 using gender specific but culturally transcendent dolls after which they were allowed to change their names if they desired. Pixie is 5 now and she has also chosen to recieve one or two vaccinations which I am proud of her for doing

Every couple I've met that raised their kids like that, with no boundaries whatsoever, is gifting the world a future school or workplace shooter. Assuming they don't die of measles. Those kids turn out so loving weird.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If my kids wanna be boys or girls it's whatever just don't get knocked up or locked up before you finish college please.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I don't think any kid has any idea about changing their gender before they're at least a teenager. At age 5 I decided that girls were lame and I'd much rather marry a guy. Miraculously I turned out te be straight, maybe because kids are dumb and don't know what they want. But please, go ahead and set them up for a lifetime of bullying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

reports of active shooter at Ft Carson

• Locked thread