Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Backhand posted:

Oh come off it, we all know that all anyone wants are allied, romanceable snake tits.

I can picture a viper whose morph into a thin man and back went wrong, and it's just a thin man with a viper's massive rack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Dongicus posted:

lw good. suck my balls

I wouldn't brag about having mental health issues, man.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Xenonauts has plenty of soul, and it's only your own fault if you don't find making a squad of riot shield guys with shock batons to slowly surround and beat the poo poo out of every alien on the map hilarious

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I actually really like Xenonauts and I hope the sequel isn't rear end because the engine the poor game is on makes so many things work weird as gently caress

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I liked xenonauts up until I went up against reapers. The AI for them is so annoying that if the site say's reaper I just bomb the loving thing.

Cool, i get it, rookie meatgrinder, send in the troops, yay. That was fun the first time I did it. It stopped being fun the 20th time.

E: In fact, they're basically "overwatch creep or lose". Anti fun.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

To be fair in OG XCOM if bombing a crash site was an option I would do the same poo poo to Chyrsallids. Also in the short time I've played Xenonauts I never had a Reaper "die" when in fact they were unconscious and then wake up 1 turn before I breach the alien base control center and have it methodically massacre and zombifiy my entire platoon after I spent the better part of 2 hours clearing that loving snakeman base :negative:

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I set a spark to use Julien's voice for the first time and was not expecting the lovely bit of dialogue that you get.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bakalakadaka posted:

I set a spark to use Julien's voice for the first time and was not expecting the lovely bit of dialogue that you get.

His voice is amazing on missions too.

"I missed? MISSED? I'LL RIP YOUR drat HEAD OF-"

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Zore posted:

His voice is amazing on missions too.

"I missed? MISSED? I'LL RIP YOUR drat HEAD OF-"

"STOMP. STOMP. STOMP."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MarquiseMindfang posted:

"STOMP. STOMP. STOMP."

:yeah:

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Larry Parrish posted:

I actually really like Xenonauts and I hope the sequel isn't rear end because the engine the poor game is on makes so many things work weird as gently caress

There's loads I really liked about Xenonauts, but the two things with it that drive me berserk are a) the way the aliens can open their UFO doors and shoot out at you without triggering your overwatch, then close them again so you can't return fire on your turn, and b) your guys habit of shooting in wildly the wrong direction and killing the dude standing next to them (or prone in front.) I've been waiting for a mod to come along and address either of those before I go back to it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Relax, there's inevitably going to be a Long War 2.5 updated to de-fun this expansion.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

So I last played when Enemy Within came out. DLCs since then seem to be Anarchy's Children, Alien Hunters, and Shen's Last Gift. Are these good?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Toozler posted:

So I last played when Enemy Within came out. DLCs since then seem to be Anarchy's Children, Alien Hunters, and Shen's Last Gift. Are these good?

Anarchy's children is a cosmetic pack with a bunch of crazier/mad-max style armors and accessories. Its a taste thing.

Alien Hunters adds 3 unique super bosses that you fight over multiple encounters and some unique equipment for XCOM. They also have different behaviors from any other enemy in the game, gaining an action after any of your soldiers does something like move/shoot etc. Fun but divisive.

Shen's Last Gift adds SPARKs as a class. Basically buildable MECs that are wholly robotic. Really fun unit and has a neat mission attached.

There was a new expansion announced to be released at the end of August. Its going to rebalance the Alien Rulers (tone them down) and buff SPARKs (who some feel are a little weak). Its also like twice the size of EW with 3 new classes, a ton of new mechanics and enemies etc.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

dogstile posted:

I liked xenonauts up until I went up against reapers. The AI for them is so annoying that if the site say's reaper I just bomb the loving thing.

Cool, i get it, rookie meatgrinder, send in the troops, yay. That was fun the first time I did it. It stopped being fun the 20th time.

E: In fact, they're basically "overwatch creep or lose". Anti fun.

Was this at night? Because during the day, you can see Reapers from farther away then they can move (unless they're ambushing out of buildings) and if it's at night, you can use flares to see Reapers from farther away than they can move. I've found that most people who get their squads Reaper'd had it happen because they either didn't use all of the abilities at their disposal in night maps or didn't check their corners, most of the time.

Also Xenonauts is great and people like that Andre guy everyone was ragging on earlier should play it because it is decidedly not a comic book.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Every time I fire up Xenonauts I get bored waiting for something to happen. The game starts off by throwing you into base-building mode rather than combat, doesn't give you context for anything, makes you wait around for your first interception (which is very chance-based and you don't necessarily know how to do correctly).... it's just poor game design to start the player on the most boring aspect and not tell them anything about it. It's a very sour note to start on.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Backhand posted:

Every time I fire up Xenonauts I get bored waiting for something to happen. The game starts off by throwing you into base-building mode rather than combat, doesn't give you context for anything, makes you wait around for your first interception (which is very chance-based and you don't necessarily know how to do correctly).... it's just poor game design to start the player on the most boring aspect and not tell them anything about it. It's a very sour note to start on.

Xenonauts was made for the fans of the classic Xcom, which starts like this.

IMO I prefer it to the "Go shoot some poo poo" approach of new Xcom.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Bogart posted:

Hey buds. Here's the list of mods I run, put in a Collection for your pleasure. They all work pretty well together. Tended toward adding content in lieu of changing the old (though I did beef up Rangers and make Scientists a little more useful). New classes, more options, idle suppression, evac all, Spark Pugilists, and Random Appearance all make an appearance. Suggestions appreciated. :shobon: Everything will run, I'm 90% sure.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=947092538

You know, it's really weird to me that bg and I are still (as far as I know) the only people that have made alternate SPARK classes. I thought people were going to be all over that.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Kris xK posted:

Xenonauts was made for the fans of the classic Xcom

Pretty much this, with all of the early 90's game design decisions that entails. There's a reason I prefer FiraxCOM despite loving Xenonauts quite a bit.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Saw on IGN again details about the new enemies.

ADVENT Purifiers carry a flamethrower and rocket launcher with incendiary rockets. You'll see them mostly in abandoned city maps, since they're custom designed as Lost exterminators, but as you progress through the game they'll become a more regular sight. Their weapons hurt, leave lingering fire similar to X-COM incendiary grenades, strip armor, and have a high chance to panic soldiers.

ADVENT Priests are intended to be analogous to Sectoid Commanders from Enemy Unknown. They have a more defined power list than the basic sectoids: mind control, telekinetic dome (area defense buff), an offensive buff of some kind (possibly a big one-turn aim buff to a single alien), and when killed have a chance to go into stasis and revive with partial HP one to three turns later.

Specters are cloaking enemies that can knock out your soldiers and create a nightmare clone from them. Using a revive ability on the downed soldier dispels the clone.

The three Chosen are the Warlock, Assassin, and Hunter.

The Hunter is a sniper with extreme long range and vision, but he doesn't fire immediately and you're warned when he's taking aim on someone. He's generally stationary as long as someone stays in his line of sight, but will move to another firing position if X-COM persistently avoids him.

The Warlock summons spectral enemies, and can summon them wherever he feels like it. He has a gun but will usually try to avoid getting in combat personally.

The Assassin cloaks and has a sword, and will try to pick off isolated members of the team.

According to Firaxis, the Chosen are inspired by Shadows of Mordor's nemesis system - they're enemies that will grow alongside you, and if you keep putting them down their new skills will tend to adapt to whatever means you used to defeat them. The Hunter and Warlock in particular are not intended to be random boss fights themselves - their emphasis is on being a serious complication you don't need but need to react to, not a pivotal threat in their own right. You get their weapons (guns for the Hunter and Warlock, sword for the Assassin) when you kill them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Huh, that makes two special swords, two special rifles, one special sniper rifle, one special pistol, one special grenade.

Should have had a special cannon instead of a sword. Now how am I supposed to pick between the Hunter's Axe and the Assassin's Sword???

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

So Neil Blomkamp released a short film about a successful alien invasion of earth, that's fairly XCOM'ish except you know about a million times darker and hosed up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjQ2t_yNHQs

:nws: for you know people exploding and poo poo

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Backhand posted:

You aren't wrong. The big reason for this is because even the original X-com ufo defense realized that building your base was a terrible way to start the game and so it happily gave you one pre-built and I think it even had a tank?

The bad news was the design was literally so crappy that 90% of everyone who had played before would just sell half the buildings right off the bat and build a more defensible design; which meant they were basically doing the base building portion first.

Fast forward and Xenonauts decides to fix the problem by letting you build your base properly the first time without realizing that it is actually solving the wrong problem.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zore posted:

Huh, that makes two special swords, two special rifles, one special sniper rifle, one special pistol, one special grenade.

Should have had a special cannon instead of a sword. Now how am I supposed to pick between the Hunter's Axe and the Assassin's Sword???

You only get the Chosen weapons after killing them for good, which is an optional late-game thing where you can get the hunter weapons early on.

Also, one of the final Scrapper/Skirmisher/whatever traits is called Battle Lord. You know how everyone hates ruler reactions? Now you get a soldier with ruler reactions.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Bolow posted:

So Neil Blomkamp released a short film about a successful alien invasion of earth, that's fairly XCOM'ish except you know about a million times darker and hosed up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjQ2t_yNHQs

:nws: for you know people exploding and poo poo
This is fantastic.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Utterly cautious means nothing but overwatch creep and LoS fuckery. But that's boring. Also, so what? Your sniper died. There will be more. Roll with it, its more fun.

How is it fun? At least when I play dark souls every time I die I feel like it's my fault. Here, it makes me feel like it's the game being an rear end in a top hat. I feel bad for my soldiers dying. I want to go through the entire game with zero deaths because I am a good commander.

I just reset the game, got to the first ufo mission, hid my sniper behind a tree and the Outsider just shoots through the FULL COVER tree and kills her. How is this fair?

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 15, 2017

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

AceOfFlames posted:

How is it fun? At least when I play dark souls every time I die I feel like it's my fault. Here, it makes me feel like it's the game being an rear end in a top hat. I feel bad for my soldiers dying. I want to go through the entire game with zero deaths because I am a good commander.

I just reset the game, got to the first ufo mission, hid my sniper behind a tree and the Outsider just shoots through the FULL COVER tree and kills her. How is this fair?
It's not fair, it's :X-COM:.

I say this as someone who beat my head against ironman impossible until it gave in. Apparently I have a high tolerance for bullshit.

But if soldiers dying makes the game not fun for you, there's unfortunately not a solution.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ersatz posted:

It's not fair, it's :X-COM:.

I say this as someone who beat my head against ironman impossible until it gave in. Apparently I have a high tolerance for bullshit.

But if soldiers dying makes the game not fun for you, there's unfortunately not a solution.

When not playing ironman, my rule of thumb was: was it an exciting or dramatic death? Then RIP. Was it thin men bullshit from across the map in full over? Reload.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I find it impossible to not play ironman. For some reason being able to savescum just feels wrong and dirty.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ersatz posted:

If dead soldiers are inevitable, why is there an achievement for zero deaths in XCOM 2, which is apparently even harder?

Iron Crowned posted:

I find it impossible to not play ironman. For some reason being able to savescum just feels wrong and dirty.

Maybe it says a lot about me that if there is any mechanism that allows me to erase my mistakes, I see absolutely nothing wrong with using it. That's why I never understood the climax of Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones. How is not going back in time to fix up your mess "being responsible"? You can travel in time, if causality is nullified, so is reponsibility.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 15, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

AceOfFlames posted:

Hunker down instead.

Full cover just means -50% to hit. Aliens with the light plasma rifle (thin men and outsiders) have a total of 75-80% aim on normal difficulty (higher on others). That means they will hit you through FULL COVER at least a quarter of the time.

If you want to face them you need to either be prepared to kill them the turn they are revealed (which is easy on lower difficulties because they die in one grenade), have enough armour to tank the hit, hunker for that defense boost, toss down a smoke grenade, flashbang them, use suppression... There's dozens of solutions. You chose to sit with a low hp soldier with a good chance of being shot, and so it is actually absolutely your fault that sniper died.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 15, 2017

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I'd enable ironman if it weren't for all the goddamn bugs in the tactical phase. There's :xcom: and then there's your ranger getting stuck in a box after getting grabbed by a viper

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
The fun in XCOM for me is succeeding in the end despite all the hardships and losses you took along the way. Yeah it feels bad when a dude gets gunned down behind full cover, but the chances of it never happening during a playthrough is nigh impossible unless you savescum it.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

AceOfFlames posted:

If dead soldiers are inevitable, why is there an achievement for zero deaths in XCOM 2, which is apparently even harder?
Some people like to chase the dream, I guess.

Also, DarkAvenger knows what's up. ^^^

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DarkAvenger211 posted:

The fun in XCOM for me is succeeding in the end despite all the hardships and losses you took along the way. Yeah it feels bad when a dude gets gunned down behind full cover, but the chances of it never happening during a playthrough is nigh impossible unless you savescum it.

I've had many a mission that looks doomed. All my soldiers are dead or down to critical HP, and only in a last ditch attempt to pull it off, somehow succeed by the skin of their teeth, those really are the best missions.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

I've had many a mission that looks doomed. All my soldiers are dead or down to critical HP, and only in a last ditch attempt to pull it off, somehow succeed by the skin of their teeth, those really are the best missions.
Something I've always loved about X-Com is that it's so rewarding to pull a successful mission out of the fire. Every action in these games feels consequential.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

AceOfFlames posted:

Unless you want enemies to be totally invulnerable to dying when they're in full cover too, I don't know what to tell you. It's not a big loss, dude. You'll get another sniper, it'll be fine. If you don't want to take a (small) risk of getting hit, hunker them down (still a chance) or pull them out of LoS.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bolow posted:

I'd enable ironman if it weren't for all the goddamn bugs in the tactical phase. There's :xcom: and then there's your ranger getting stuck in a box after getting grabbed by a viper

I play copperman and reload when some sort of los bullshit or that kind of thing happens.

quote:

You can get through with no deaths if you're good enough. Next time try to suppress or flashbang the outsider. Or kill it immediately with rockets and grenades! Or drive a SHIV up its butt.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

I play copperman and reload when some sort of los bullshit or that kind of thing happens.
Maybe stuff like this is why I think Enemy Unknown/Within is "dark" and "creepy," and most people don't. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Going the entire game with zero deaths is possible but its hard and not to be expected.

The fundamental difference between a game like Xcom and Dark Souls is that Xcom is a game that incorporates a heavy amount of RNG. In Dark Souls, every action you take will have expected results and anything going wrong is entirely your fault. In Xcom, sometimes the optimal move will fail because of a bad dice roll. Being good at Xcom requires a completely different mindset. You can't just assume that everything will work in your favor cause that's not how the game works. You have to play around minimizing the impact of RNG and also planning for situations to go wrong.

Just in your example, there's a lot of things you could do differently. Sure, a soldier sitting behind full cover isn't likely to be hit. But there's still a chance, and you want to minimize that as much as possible. Engage the Outsider in a manner that allows you to control how the fight unfolds. Put all your guys in position prior to activating it so you are more likely to kill it before it even gets a shot off. If it does get a chance to fire, use defensive items to improve your odds of survival. Hunker down while a soldier outside the aliens LOS sets up a flank. Or just use a grenade to blow up its cover and make it an easy kill.

Now when you miss the 98% flank that's when you can throw up your hands and say :xcom:

Bolow posted:

That's what killing the process for. It'll reload your game at the start of the turn. So its perfect for getting a redo in situations where the game glitches out.