Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

zenguitarman posted:

Just went to Cuba in April. Good thing I did I guess. Besides as another "gently caress Obama" move and Fidel being virulently anti-American (he's dead anyway), why again?

Republicans + Florida = We never get to stop being weird about Cuba

We can normalize with loving Vietnam but not Cuba

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Michael Scott posted:

What did they even do to Warmbier? I don't understand.

Massive loss of brain volume usually means a global brain insult like prolonged hypoxia or swelling from trauma.

In more depressing news:

An immigration under Trump retrospective

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Kramdar posted:

I don't understand what happened here. Would someone mind explaining it?

Twitter recently changed their UI and now people's avatars are displayed in circles instead of squares like they used to be.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

boner confessor posted:

the reason authoritarians are so big into physically disciplining their kids is that it turns the kids into a nervous wreck or the kid survives it and becomes a little drone, from the parents perspective

of course, beating kids just teaches them to either stop doing what they're doing (submit unconditionally to the parent's will at all times lest your body be harmed) or it teaches them to be real good liars (can't hit me if you dont know what i've done, sucker)

It also teaches them that 'might makes right' (do what I say because I'm bigger and stronger than you and will hurt you if you don't) which is a great way to raise little bullies.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/colinjones/status/875423866302148612

Fuckin lol

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

boner confessor posted:

i agree, which is why if i ever find myself in the unfortunate situation of being in north korea i will make sure i do not engage in anything that remotely resembles petty theft

we can talk about how unreasonable it is for a totalitarian shithole to throw small time criminals in an awful gulag but none of that actually matters with regards to "don't go to north korea, and if you do, for fucks sake do not break the law"

north korea values their tourism industry more than they value nabbing rando citizens. they're a horrible stalinist state but not evil, crazy, or stupid

Is there any indication he actually did anything besides the word of the North Korean government (and his forced confession)?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Boon posted:

America's relationships will be fine after Trump so long as:
1. Reaffirm our international commitments/partnerships
2. Approach thee world stage hat in hand

The loss is the opportunities resulting in missed growth and leadership in the meantime

If Trump makes approaching the world state hat in hand politically tenable, we could actually end up in a better position in the long run. If trump's the archetypal ugly American, there'd be a lot of value in publicly rejecting him. "We promise not to be like trump anymore" would play well at home and abroad.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/875441788110110727

It's a good day

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

HappyHippo posted:

Is there any indication he actually did anything besides the word of the North Korean government (and his forced confession)?

No.

He allegedly stole a poster in front of his "tour guide" that accompanies all foreigners.

He denied it, but then confessed to vandalism after being in prison for a while.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Usually his tweets seem angry. This just comes across as really sad.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Lmao Donald is tweeting while running at full speed from his handlers.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

This is pure internet poetry

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Michael Scott posted:

What did they even do to Warmbier? I don't understand.

They deprived him of water for a week wait no....

They forgot him in a cell for 5 days with no water or toilet wait no...

They held him for 3 years without trial for petty theft wait no...

They tased him to death while he was strapped to a chair wait no...

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

zenguitarman posted:

Just went to Cuba in April. Good thing I did I guess. Besides as another "gently caress Obama" move and Fidel being virulently anti-American (he's dead anyway), why again?

The official explanation is that it's because Cuba has a poor record on human rights. Which is hilarious in light of Trump bragging about selling weapons to Saudi loving Arabia only two weeks ago.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/abbydphillip/status/875442260934045697

quote:

realDonaldTrump: Crooked H destroyed phones w/ hammer, 'bleached' emails, & had husband meet w/AG days before she was cleared- & they talk about obstruction?

This guy.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Usually his tweets seem angry. This just comes across as really sad.

Second one seems pretty mad.

We shall see if Mueller's investigation survives the day...

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

HappyHippo posted:

they have a security cam video which isn't conclusive but is plausible

also, NK doesn't have a precedent of randomly kidnapping westerners. typically there's some reason for it, even if that reason is shady or overly inflated. but NK is protective of their small tourism industry which is vital to their economy as one of the sole sources of foreign currency available to them - why else would a totalitarian pariah state even admit tourists in the first place? randomly throwing your tourists into kangaroo court seems counterproductive and i don't believe that NK are bond villain crazy

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

boner confessor posted:

north korea values their tourism industry more than they value nabbing rando citizens. they're a horrible stalinist state but not evil, crazy, or stupid

If this were true they would have let him go, or at least not sentenced him to 15 years after a completely inadequate trail/possibly beat him into a coma. With the trial he had and the scarce evidence that was presented he might as well have done nothing.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Crooked H

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

He is so useless. "B-b-b-but, Hiiiilllllaaary."

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

JeffersonClay posted:

If Trump makes approaching the world state hat in hand politically tenable, we could actually end up in a better position in the long run. If trump's the archetypal ugly American, there'd be a lot of value in publicly rejecting him. "We promise not to be like trump anymore" would play well at home and abroad.

A promise that we know would be broken 8 years after electing a Democrat, as it was 8 years after Obama (who caused the world to breathe a great sigh of relief.) How can the rest of the world deal with a country that has multiple personality disorder, and is Germany 8 years in every 16, and Turkey the rest of the time?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

boner confessor posted:

isn't part of the thrill of going to north korea in the first place the constant low level danger that comes from it being an oppressive orwellian junta? you can't really get that danger tourism experience anywhere else since the collapse of communism

If you are a thril seeking junkie just have someone off the street pack your parachute, don't cause international incidents because you need to instagram photos of Juche posters.

Get off my lawn, etc, etc.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

At least he seems to be aware now that no one was ever talking about literal bleach.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

The thing is, in other contexts, this would be "knows a guy who knows a guy", because Sessions probably does meet with hundreds of lobbyists, etc. But two days ago, he said under oath that he had no contact, etc. Just like his tongue slipped in his congressional confirmation hearings. In the situation, its not an easy thing to forget.

Like, "I guess this fell off the back of a truck" might be a good excuse in certain situations, but not when you are the Attorney General of the United States testifying under oath in front of a congressional committee.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Someone should go ask Fareed Zakariah or Van Jones if Trump is president yet.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ogmius815 posted:

If this were true they would have let him go, or at least not sentenced him to 15 years after a completely inadequate trail/possibly beat him into a coma. With the trial he had and the scarce evidence that was presented he might as well have done nothing.

so? from our perspective their justice system is hosed up and lovely but it's the local standard. do tourists complain if they get caned in singapore for littering because that's an unreasonable punishment? if you think that long stretches of forced labor for petty crimes is unreasonable, then here's an easy life tip - don't go to north korea. i happen to think the north korean justice system puts tourists in horrible show trials too, which is why i will do the reasonable thing and not go to north korea. i dont think it's worth going oto bizarro disneyland just so i can gawk at the poverty for the off chance i'll get nabbed by the korean stasi

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Ben Sasse also thinks that preservatives and "red dye" (???) in our food are the causes for the increase in ADHD.

This one is an actual thing. R40 and B6 made me go into manic-depressive until puberty. Can't use it in Europe because of this. Research however is unclear it's not a large population it affects and it is very hard to study.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

BarbarianElephant posted:

A promise that we know would be broken 8 years after electing a Democrat, as it was 8 years after Obama (who caused the world to breathe a great sigh of relief.) How can the rest of the world deal with a country that has multiple personality disorder, and is Germany 8 years in every 16, and Turkey the rest of the time?

The GOP is gonna cost us all our special privileges

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

boner confessor posted:

they have a security cam video which isn't conclusive but is plausible

also, NK doesn't have a precedent of randomly kidnapping westerners. typically there's some reason for it, even if that reason is shady or overly inflated. but NK is protective of their small tourism industry which is vital to their economy as one of the sole sources of foreign currency available to them - why else would a totalitarian pariah state even admit tourists in the first place? randomly throwing your tourists into kangaroo court seems counterproductive and i don't believe that NK are bond villain crazy

North Korea doesn't make any significant profit from tourism. They actually spend a lot of money on it for propaganda purposes.

Most of their foreign currency comes from China or black market/hacking activities.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Lol, Trump must have gotten some bad news today

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ApprovedNews6/status/875441851385298944

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Don just accused Clinton of smashing phones w/ a hammer?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

boner confessor posted:

so? from our perspective their justice system is hosed up and lovely but it's the local standard. do tourists complain if they get caned in singapore for littering because that's an unreasonable punishment? if you think that long stretches of forced labor for petty crimes is unreasonable, then here's an easy life tip - don't go to north korea. i happen to think the north korean justice system puts tourists in horrible show trials too, which is why i will do the reasonable thing and not go to north korea

Yeah you've convinced me. That college kid deserved everything he got for maybe possibly taking down a poster even though no one can conclusively prove he did. How could I be so culturally insensitive?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Michael Scott posted:

Don just accused Clinton of smashing phones w/ a hammer?

In the records they turned over to the FBI, her IT team says that when her old phone died that they remotely wiped all the data from it and smashed it with a hammer before disposing of it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

I wonder what happened on cable news at around 12:40pm Pacific time to set this off.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

Lol, Trump must have gotten some bad news today

I mean he's being investigated for a felony...

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Reminder, Donnie thinks bitBleach is a special bottle of bleach and a some type of computer cloth(btw, bitBleach is still selling that cloth I think) and you wipe the computer by hand.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Blitz7x posted:

Lmao Donald is tweeting while golf karting at full speed from his handlers.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ogmius815 posted:

Yeah you've convinced me. That college kid deserved everything he got for maybe possibly taking down a poster even though no one can conclusively prove he did. How could I be so culturally insensitive?

:shrug: it doesn't seem difficult to me. if you dont think the punishment is reasonable or the justice system in a place with death camps for prisons is fair and impartial, then don't go there. pretty simple cause and effect here. it's like complaining about getting shot at if you go to syria as a war tourist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I know the lady who runs this account, she is super awesome.

• Locked thread