Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

I've never seen a thread so full of username ideas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

boner confessor posted:

:shrug: it doesn't seem difficult to me. if you dont think the punishment is reasonable or the justice system in a place with death camps for prisons is fair and impartial, then don't go there. pretty simple cause and effect here. it's like complaining about getting shot at if you go to syria as a war tourist

I sure wish you'd visit North Korea.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ogmius815 posted:

I sure wish you'd visit North Korea.

i dont know why you aren't grasping this. the world as it turns out is not fair, and if you go to a horrible place and break the law really bad things may happen to you no matter how unfair that is

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

In the records they turned over to the FBI, her IT team says that when her old phone died that they remotely wiped all the data from it and smashed it with a hammer before disposing of it.

I'm given to understand this is a very common thing to do among celebrities, public figures, etc.

That doesn't make it less strange, but at least it's not unheard of. I seem to recall back during Deflategate, it came to light that Tom Brady routinely destroys his old phone once he's upgraded. Or at least that was the claim.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Kekekela posted:

I've never seen a thread so full of username ideas

Crooked H sounds like DEA slang for fentanyl laced heroin.

https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/875443810192510977
https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/875445473011671040

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 15, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Crime: Stole a Poster.
Sentence: Hard Labor, Starvation, irreversible brain damage.

gently caress dictators, bruh.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

mdemone posted:

I'm given to understand this is a very common thing to do among celebrities, public figures, etc.

That doesn't make it less strange, but at least it's not unheard of. I seem to recall back during Deflategate, it came to light that Tom Brady routinely destroys his old phone once he's upgraded. Or at least that was the claim.

Yes, it's a good way to make sure that nobody gets access to data on your phone. But it isn't the State Department standard for disposing of electronics with sensitive information on it.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

In the records they turned over to the FBI, her IT team says that when her old phone died that they remotely wiped all the data from it and smashed it with a hammer before disposing of it.

I work in health care and we have crazy laws that require us to put any phones and hard drives we used through a giant shredder, it's just a thing you do.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

mdemone posted:

I've physically destroyed HDDs containing much less sensitive info way back in the day, for IT clients. Faster than doing a full wipe.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Blitz7x posted:

Lmao Donald is tweeting while running at full speed from his handlers.

Some enterprising artist please animate a Scooby-Doo door chase sequence with aides chasing Trump with the latter tweeting the entire time.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

boner confessor posted:

i dont know why you aren't grasping this. the world as it turns out is not fair, and if you go to a horrible place and break the law really bad things may happen to you no matter how unfair that is

I think the point is his 'breaking the law' is dubious at best and given NK penchant for jailing any (excluding former NBA stars) US citizens who step foot in the country, Its far more likely he was arrested/jailed because he was a US citizen and the Nork's thought they could use him as leverage in some way.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

boner confessor posted:

Also don't be surprised if you're an attractively dressed woman attending a party and end up sexually assaulted. The world isn't fair, deal with it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

If this were true they would have let him go, or at least not sentenced him to 15 years after a completely inadequate trail/possibly beat him into a coma. With the trial he had and the scarce evidence that was presented he might as well have done nothing.

He still served less time than Kalief Browder and he didn't even get a trial at all.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Oh loving stop it. We don't need to talk about this again.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DandyLion posted:

I think the point is his 'breaking the law' is dubious at best and given NK penchant for jailing any (excluding former NBA stars) US citizens who step foot in the country, Its far more likely he was arrested/jailed because he was a US citizen and the Nork's thought they could use him as leverage in some way.

but NK doesn't jail every US citizen? every US citizen who has ended up in NK prison has done something, even if that something is just evangelizing or being a korean vet. there's this unsubstantiated assumption here that NK is just selecting US citizens by lottery to be beaten with hammers which makes no sense at all unless one assumes that NK operates on crazy cartoon bad guy logic - and if so, doesn't that just make it extra stupid to go there?

Nocturtle posted:

Also don't be surprised if you're an attractively dressed woman attending a party and end up sexually assaulted. The world isn't fair, deal with it.

do you actually think this is a good argument or are you just mad at me for saying things you disagree with

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

boner confessor posted:

makes no sense at all unless one assumes that NK operates on crazy cartoon bad guy logic - and if so, doesn't that just make it extra stupid to go there?

They do and it is.

Most likely they thought he was a spy.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Destroying old phones is good OpSec, and I don't know why anyone in government...

Oh, Donny doesn't know wtf he's doing.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Ogmius815 posted:

Yeah you've convinced me. That college kid deserved everything he got for maybe possibly taking down a poster even though no one can conclusively prove he did. How could I be so culturally insensitive?

He was tasked by his Church to go steal a North Korean flag to demean the glorious people of North Korea.

Or at least that's what he confessed to.

Also stop saying 'Norks'.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Crooked H sounds like one of those fake street drugs Sgt. Finn describes on Law & Order: SUV.

"They're callin' it Crooked H. Somebody slipped in Trump's drink. Next day, he wakes up in a Moscow hotel having filmed a sex tape with some prostitutes covered in urine.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
Has anyone pointed out that Trump chose not to prosecute Clinton even though it 'played well on the campaign trail'? Hell, he could do that right now if he wanted to, couldn't he? Tell the DoJ to investigate the things he's complaining about?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/875445752528601090

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kaboobi posted:

I work in health care and we have crazy laws that require us to put any phones and hard drives we used through a giant shredder, it's just a thing you do.

I've worked at places that do similar things. If anything, using a hammer to smash a phone and SD card isn't nearly thorough enough. :colbert:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

He cannot function without Hillary, can he? "BUT EMAILS!" is going to be on that fucker's tombstone.

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

DandyLion posted:

Please change your post before there is another 10 page discussion about whether "Nork" is a racial slur.
Thanks

efb

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

mdemone posted:

No, its pretty good practices for people. Its the phone of equivelent of taking a hammer to a hard drive before throwing it out

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DandyLion posted:

His experience with NK's judicial system isn't that atypical for America either. Yeah it sucks the cops probably mistook his actions and he got interrogated and/or beaten to death. Welcome to Chicago.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

BarbarianElephant posted:

They do and it is.

Most likely they thought he was a spy.

Yeah, I figure he really did go onto the employee only floor to grab a poster and, when caught there, they assumed he was a spy and then beat the everloving poo poo out of him to get him to confess, give up in-country contacts, etc.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

god damnit, this man is literally the actual president

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

WHOOPS posted:

Crooked H sounds like one of those fake street drugs Sgt. Finn describes on Law & Order: SUV.

"They're callin' it Crooked H. Somebody slipped in Trump's drink. Next day, he wakes up in a Moscow hotel having filmed a sex tape with some prostitutes covered in urine.

Munch, raising his eyebrow: "One heck of an eye opener."

:doink:

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Trabisnikof posted:

His experience with NK's judicial system isn't that atypical for America either. Yeah it sucks the cops probably mistook his actions and he got interrogated and/or beaten to death. Welcome to Chicago.

I'm from Chicago and you're an idiot

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

and we in the west actually have an expectation of fair and impartial trials, not a forced confession after getting caught loving around with a portrait of the father figure of the national cult

Michael Scott posted:

I'm from Chicago and you're an idiot

did you not know the chicago police had a black site torture center? i hate to break it to you

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/feb/24/chicago-police-detain-americans-black-site

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

LaserShark posted:

Has anyone pointed out that Trump chose not to prosecute Clinton even though it 'played well on the campaign trail'? Hell, he could do that right now if he wanted to, couldn't he? Tell the DoJ to investigate the things he's complaining about?

It would be incredibly great if he did exactly this

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Ague Proof posted:

He was tasked by his Church to go steal a North Korean flag to demean the glorious people of North Korea.

Or at least that's what he confessed to.

Also stop saying 'Norks'.

You'd have to be pretty gullible to believe that story. I promise nobody from Wyoming, Ohio wanted a North Korean propaganda poster to hang on their church's wall as trophy, never mind promising $10k and a car for it. Nothing about the confession makes any sense. I guarantee you that story was fabricated, either by the North Korean prosecutor or by Otto himself under duress.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Can we agree that

1. Dictatorships that arbitrarily detain and torture people are bad,

and

2. As a practical matter, a vacation in a dictatorship seems unwise?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/875448342330953730

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
This is such a helpful chart in dealing with the bullshit conservative meme about how the ACA was "shoved down our throats."

https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/875448342330953730

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/drew-returns-from-north-korea/2300-5929/

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Crooked I > Crooked H

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVe_NPWGt9c

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ogmius815 posted:

You'd have to be pretty gullible to believe that story. I promise nobody from Wyoming, Ohio wanted a North Korean propaganda poster to hang on their church's wall as trophy, never mind promising $10k and a car for it. Nothing about the confession makes any sense. I guarantee you that story was fabricated, either by the North Korean prosecutor or by Otto himself under duress.

for sure, but that doesn't make it implausible that an impulsive young man would try to snag a souvenier. he's already of a mind to go to north korea as a tourist in the first place. that's a more believable story to me than that he was randomly selected by the authorities for beatings and torture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

BarbarianElephant posted:

A promise that we know would be broken 8 years after electing a Democrat, as it was 8 years after Obama (who caused the world to breathe a great sigh of relief.) How can the rest of the world deal with a country that has multiple personality disorder, and is Germany 8 years in every 16, and Turkey the rest of the time?

And that's why democracy is a failure and we need hereditary monarchies.

• Locked thread