Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Sometimes that MST stuff causes a card read error, but I just hold it there until it correctly reads. I haven't had any problems with the card being declined. Maybe try removing your credit card and then re-adding it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Three Olives posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Nextbit-Robin-Factory-Unlocked-Smartphone/dp/B01D3Q8EGY/?tag=at88-20

Any reason not to pick that up for $130?

It runs Nougat, everything else looks solid, not great but good enough, especially at that price point. I get that it's EOL but as a temporary phone while I wait on the Note or iPhone X or maybe even a heavily discounted S8 is there another phone I should be considering for $130 at at least has NFC and Fingerprint? VoLTE is not a deal killer nor is Nougat but I would like it.

I always thought those were nice looking phones in their own special way. Since you seem to know what's up, I say give it a shot. If I needed a phone for a couple months I'd probably go for it myself.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Whats up with Samsung pay mag strip showing declined?

Pay your bills

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Mental Hospitality posted:

I always thought those were nice looking phones in their own special way. Since you seem to know what's up, I say give it a shot. If I needed a phone for a couple months I'd probably go for it myself.

Just placed an order. It's EOL but they are promising software and security Update through February of next year, it's on Nugget, the reviews are decent, Snapdragon 808 chipset, 3GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, a 5.2-inch 1080p display, a 13MP rear camera, 5MP front camera, NFC, fingerprint sensor, VoLTE, I don't think I can beat $130 for a comparable spec phone.

I guess I should have ordered yesterday and saved $13 but whatever.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 15, 2017

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Three Olives posted:

Just placed an order. It's EOL but they are promising software and security Update through February of next year, it's on Nugget, the reviews are decent, Snapdragon 808 chipset, 3GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, a 5.2-inch 1080p display, a 13MP rear camera, 5MP front camera, NFC, fingerprint sensor, VoLTE, I don't think I can beat $130 for a comparable spec phone.

I guess I should have ordered yesterday and saved $13 but whatever.

Main drawback seems to be battery life isn't so great, otherwise it should be a nice stopgap. I actually swapped an old Moto E for the Blu R1 from Amazon​ recently and was also pleasantly surprised. $60 buys you a much more functional phone than I thought it would, especially since people are still buying the 2015 Moto E for like $30 on eBay. Night and day between those two in terms of being ok to use for awhile.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

God damnit. I got my Pixel today and it's too big to reach the upper-right corner one handed. I was afraid of this. 4.7" is the maximum phone size I can handle, and frankly I'd prefer 4.5". I'm sure I'll get used to this, but please, people, make loving human hand sized phones. gently caress. How do people live with these huge goddamn phones?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

ColdPie posted:

God damnit. I got my Pixel today and it's too big to reach the upper-right corner one handed. I was afraid of this. 4.7" is the maximum phone size I can handle, and frankly I'd prefer 4.5". I'm sure I'll get used to this, but please, people, make loving human hand sized phones. gently caress. How do people live with these huge goddamn phones?

I learned how to use a large phone by being 6'4".

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ColdPie posted:

I have a Pixel XL, lived on the Note line, and have no issues manipulating the phone. I guess don't get married to a single hand position that worked on small phones? If you sit there with your thumb on one side and your four fingers on the other and that's it, you're not going to have much luck.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

PerrineClostermann posted:

I have a Pixel XL, lived on the Note line, and have no issues manipulating the phone. I guess don't get married to a single hand position that worked on small phones? If you sit there with your thumb on one side and your four fingers on the other and that's it, you're not going to have much luck.

Worked fine with my 2013 Moto X. RIP best phone ever made.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Pander posted:

yeah my HTC M7 would keep dropping in my Mazda 3, reconnecting, dropping, etc. Usually did it for about 15 minutes before it would stabilize and not drop anymore. Which meant it was useless for my 20 minute commute.

My pixel XL connects everytime fast as can be. My wife is one of those "just get an iphone" people too, the pixel's put a stop to that.

Funnily enough my N6P was always perfect in my Mazda 3 but the iPhone 7 Plus that replaced it was flakey until the dealer updated the car software.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
As a fellow small hands person I just do the pinky shelf and I can use the pixel one handed without too much difficulty.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

El Mido posted:

As a fellow small hands person I just do the pinky shelf and I can use the pixel one handed without too much difficulty.

The problem I have with the pinky shelf is that the plugin for the charger is kind of pokey. If I try to avoid that, I end up covering one of the speakers.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

El Mido posted:

Yeah, I'll get used to it, I'm just whining. I knowingly stepped into the path of the too-big bullet and now I'm annoyed that I've been hit by it. I just wish someone would make small, high-end phones again.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ColdPie posted:

Yeah, I'll get used to it, I'm just whining. I knowingly stepped into the path of the too-big bullet and now I'm annoyed that I've been hit by it. I just wish someone would make small, high-end phones again.

It is unlikely to get a ton smaller than normal sized Pixel. 5" with negligible bezels, or 5" but 18:9 aspect, would both help, of course.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

ColdPie posted:

Here you go ColdPie, I still have my first Android phone if you want it.

A mind boggling 3.2 inch screen.

Edit:
heh, plugged it in for the first time in 4 years and it booted CyanogenMod 9.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 16, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pander posted:

The problem I have with the pinky shelf is that the plugin for the charger is kind of pokey. If I try to avoid that, I end up covering one of the speakers.

I aim for the charger when I pinky shelf.

ColdPie posted:

It's a good thing Android seldom asks you to hit the upper left region.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

ColdPie with the Trump hands

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

LastInLine posted:

It's a good thing Android seldom asks you to hit the upper left region.

Upper right. It's actually a pretty common spot for the overflow menu, which is used a fair amount.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Mental Hospitality posted:

Here you go ColdPie, I still have my first Android phone if you want it.

A mind boggling 3.2 inch screen.

Edit:
heh, plugged it in for the first time in 4 years and it booted CyanogenMod 9.

God I remember that little "trackball" thing from my first gen HTC Incredible a million years ago. It was almost a good idea.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

ColdPie posted:

God I remember that little "trackball" thing from my first gen HTC Incredible a million years ago. It was almost a good idea.

I vaguely remember the optical trackball on mine working somewhat...okay!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

vyst posted:

ColdPie with the Trump hands

Naw, man, check it out. I'm stretching as far as I can go without discomfort here. The pad of my thumb is well short of the overflow menu. If I really stretch, I can just barely tap it, but that makes me feel like I'm going to slip and drop it.

I never heard the term "pinkie shelf". Is there any other way to hold a phone? This is how I've been doing it for 6+ years. No way I'm not using the pinkie, that's asking for an $800 disaster.

What'm I doing wrong here? Show me how you use it one-handed. Enlighten me.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Hey that was my first smartphone too! I actually dug it out back when I got my 6P for the hilarious size comparison and I had completely forgotten about the trackball thing. It was a good idea best used for moving the cursor when entering text and not much else, but it felt like the future when I used it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ColdPie posted:

I never heard the term "pinkie shelf". Is there any other way to hold a phone? This is how I've been doing it for 6+ years. No way I'm not using the pinkie, that's asking for an $800 disaster.

If I need to use the upper portion of the screen (not too common, I'll admit), I just hold it flatter and forgo the pinkie shelf so I can shift the phone lower in my hand.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Just use the index finger on the other hand the fraction of a percent of the time you need to hit the button, simple

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

ColdPie posted:

For most people, having a good sized screen outweighs the minor inconvenience of using both thumbs to type stuff. But there should be keyboards that have a 1-handed mode, you could try those

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

P sure Gboard has a one handed mode which should already be installed

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Huawei Nova 2 is slightly smaller than the Pixel and seems like a good mid-range option if it ever gets sold outside of Asia and as long as you don't mind China getting to read your emails before the NSA does.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ColdPie posted:

What'm I doing wrong here?

Genetics.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Genetics.

Look at this NBA player posting on SA

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Genetics.

Holy cow there's a Sasquatch holding ur phone

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Eh, I'm only 6'3".

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I bet he has a really tiny penis.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw1cdRew-Zg

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

No loving way am I clicking on that after my post.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

No loving way am I clicking on that after my post.

i did, it is good

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a way to customize what google now notifies me about? If I could stop the 'video highlights available' notifications for sports events I have no interest in (totally different teams/divisions from my teams) that would be great. I've got my three teams selected in the settings for google now but it keeps showing me poo poo for other teams, and ideally I'd like to not get the video highlights available notification at all.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Lol, nope!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
that's dumb as hell and is going to be super annoying with my new smart watch. might just uninstall google now then.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Walrus posted:

Is there a way to customize what google now notifies me about? If I could stop the 'video highlights available' notifications for sports events I have no interest in (totally different teams/divisions from my teams) that would be great. I've got my three teams selected in the settings for google now but it keeps showing me poo poo for other teams, and ideally I'd like to not get the video highlights available notification at all.

Just tell it you're not interested in those items. It will eventually stop. Of course a couple times a year it forgets that I've told it I'm not interested and start popping them back up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Thermopyle posted:

Just tell it you're not interested in those items. It will eventually stop. Of course a couple times a year it forgets that I've told it I'm not interested and start popping them back up again.

oh cool, just noticed that if I click the notification it takes me to the google now app where the card has a 'stop showing video notifications' button. cool. thanks, probably should have worked that out on my own.